Usually played the heavy or enforcer!
Always intelligent!
Could handle any trouble come his way!
Was everywhere in late 60's -70's!
One contemporary, legendary Bill Duke!

Discuss.

sansradio
07-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Yes, Mr. Kotto was always a charming, magnetic, powerful force in any project in which he appeared. Six words: that death scene in Truck Turner. Holla if you hear me!

*Side note: This thread would probably be better suited for the Clubhouse, since it doesn't involve soul music.*

mr_june
07-07-2019, 11:31 AM
He was great in Alien.

sansradio
07-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Isn't he literally descended from Cameroonian royalty? He was also raised Jewish. Fascinating guy.

Jerry Oz
07-07-2019, 04:12 PM
I recall an episode of a weekly documentary series that wanted to make a point about racism. They made it by having Yaphet Kotto dressed in a business suit in downtown New York City trying to hail a taxi. Time after time, the taxi drivers drove 100 feet past him to pick up a white guy who was dressed in very casual clothes, all the time unaware that the guy that they passed on was a world famous and classically trained actor and the guy the picked up was a paroled murderer. That had nothing to do with his career, which was truly remarkable, but it said something about him that he cared enough to participate in the experiment.

RanRan79
07-07-2019, 08:13 PM
I recall an episode of a weekly documentary series that wanted to make a point about racism. They made it by having Yaphet Kotto dressed in a business suit in downtown New York City trying to hail a taxi. Time after time, the taxi drivers drove 100 feet past him to pick up a white guy who was dressed in very casual clothes, all the time unaware that the guy that they passed on was a world famous and classically trained actor and the guy the picked up was a paroled murderer. That had nothing to do with his career, which was truly remarkable, but it said something about him that he cared enough to participate in the experiment.

That's a powerful experiment!!

sansradio
07-07-2019, 08:25 PM
^That is deeper than deep.

Also, two more words...Blue Collar. A woefully unsung masterpiece with Oscar-worthy performances from its leads: Kotto, Harvey Keitel, and, in arguably his dramatic finest hour, Richard Pryor.

Jerry Oz
07-08-2019, 02:43 AM
Blue Collar was good. I think it shook some people when they saw Richard Pryor in a serious role. And yes, like many of Yaphet Kotto's roles, he stood out with a strong performance.

ralpht
07-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Didn't he play Idi Amin in a TV special?

Jerry Oz
07-08-2019, 05:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7vvDjr2v9s

ralpht
07-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Thank you, Jerry.