PDA

View Full Version : Cd-r

test

Motown_M_1056
03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Amazon is selling some hard to find titles as cd-r. What are these? Are they playable?

carlo
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Are they being produced by Universal? We discussed this a little while ago. Universal is making hard to find titles available upon demand. Once a customer places their order for the specific title, the CD is manufactured/burned and shipped off. Yes, they're playable. But I'm assuming that the final product you will receive will be a bare bones type of package. Probably no booklet and minimal album art.

1382hitsville
03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Interesting...what titles are they selling?

tamla617
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
motown
is it amazon uk or us

cozmic
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=cdr&x=0&y=0

La Dolce Henke [[CD-R) by Mel Henke [[Audio CD - 2011)
Buy new: $15.88
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on March 22, 2011.

[[3)
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Wow [[CD-R) by Kirby Stone Four [[Audio CD - 2011)

Pepino the Italian Mouse [[CD-R) by Lou Monte [[Audio CD - 2011)
Buy new: $15.48

Soundtrack [[CD-R) by Palm Springs Weekend [[Audio CD - 2011)

Jerry Corbetta [[CD-R) by Jerry Corbetta [[Audio CD - 2011)

Journey [[CD-R) by John Simon [[Audio CD - 2011)

[[1)

At Home [[CD-R) by Janis Siegel [[Audio CD - 2010)
Buy new: $14.20
11 new from $5.99 1 used from $14.18
Get it by Wednesday, Mar 2 if you order in the next 1 hour and choose one-day shipping.
Only 8 left in stock - order soon.

[[4)

Sammy Walker [[CD-R) by Sammy Walker [[Audio CD - 2011)

Touch Me [[CD-R) by Louie Shelton [[Audio CD - 2011)

Sweetheart Sampler [[CD-R) by Frankie & Johnny [[Audio CD - 2011)

Fused [[CD-R) by Mike Coalition Post [[Audio CD - 2011)

Woodsmoke & Oranges [[CD-R) by Paul Siebel [[Audio CD - 2011)

etc...

tamla tony
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi, Im new here so please correct me if i am wrong, - but CD-R are blank discs which can be purchased virtually anywhere in the uk, and they are used on computers to record music from your d/loads etc. I am amazed that the US amazon are displaying these discs for sale, - if it was UK they would be fined heavily, as the artists are not recieving any monies from "burnt " discs.
- after saying that, and looking at the page, if you scroll to the bottom, you will see that packs of CD-R's are available from $20.60 for a pack of 100, - cor, thats cheap!!

cozmic
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=cdr&x=16&y=16

soulster
03-02-2011, 12:39 AM
I would not trus these CD-Rs. They might be made from mp3s. That's lossy sound, and not anywhere near representative of the master tapes, or even a CD, for that matter.

jillfoster
03-02-2011, 01:42 AM
I bought a Brotherhoof of Man Compilaiton that was of this type of on demand CD-R... and it was not from MP3, the sound quality was SUPERB on it. These other titles... it might one of those things one has to take on a case by case basis.

theboyfromxtown
03-02-2011, 04:11 AM
I bought Lou Christie's album containing his versions of Motown songs. Plain artwork, no artist information...what a disappointment.

I also bought some Detroit cdr's. One CD on Lee Rogers was taken from vinyl sources and one track stopped halfway through and proceeded to the next one.

I agree with Jillfoster that it does seem to be a case of hit and miss. But more miss than hit!

reese
03-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I bought a cd-r of Shirley Brown's INTIMATE STORM album from Amazon. As written above, it was bare bones when it came to packaging. Even worse, it was copied from vinyl.

tamla tony
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I would still register it illegal productions, - a company called righttrackrecords.com was recently fined over 20k in the uk as they were sending out cd-rs of rare music, and charging over 35.00 each for them, maybe they are recorded as 1037 - which is the next grade up to 33000 in mp3 format, that would be why they are clearer

soulster
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM
I bought a Brotherhoof of Man Compilaiton that was of this type of on demand CD-R... and it was not from MP3, the sound quality was SUPERB on it. These other titles... it might one of those things one has to take on a case by case basis.

OK everybody, you know how to check? Get some audio software that has a spectral view feature, and rip the CD into it. If the frequency spectrum cuts off around 16,000kHz or 18,000kHz, it's made from an mp3. Simple as that. Even if it cuts off at 20,000kHz, it's no guarantee that it's from tape or CD, but you're better off if it is.

Motown_M_1056
03-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the answers. The CD-R I'm interested in is on Sony.

chidrummer
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Seems to me no matter what the source was, if you've bought a CD-r, you've bought a bootleg. Pure and simple.

boywonder
03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
There are some very over-generalised and poorly researched comments being made here.

Take for example Tartare records, a venture between Collector's Choice and WB; http://theseconddisc.com/2010/06/28/rhino-handmade-redux-introducing-tartare/.
http://bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4815293. This label is apparently producing CD-R's, or at least they are listed as such on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_m_pop/?__mk_en_GB=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&search-alias=popular&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-artist=&field-title=&field-label=tartare&field-ean=&field-browse=&field-price=&field-binding_browse-bin=&emi=&sort=relevancerank&Adv-Srch-Music-Album-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Music-Album-Submit.y=0

Instead of blanket statements that all CD-R's are illegal, could we have a bit more common sense? Maybe if you are interested in a CD, do a little, just a little, bit of research into the label. If you are unsure, contact Amazon, who have in the past removed items if they are not official releases. Sigh!

imnokid
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
When Bettye LaVette recorded her EP Change Is Gonna Come Sessions, it was meant to be released as a download only.
Amazon asked the label, who in turn asked us, if they could release it as on demand CDr. Both Bettye and the label approved it. The packaging gives all of the recording info, players, etc. and the sound is NOT Mp3.

Purchasing an on demand CDR cannot be counted out without research.
If I bought one that was copied from vinyl, I'd return it.

Kamasu_Jr
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
It appears to be another way to get rare music into the hands of those consumers willing to pay for it. I bought the Dee Dee Warwick's Turning Around on Tartare. I didn't know it was a CD-R.

tamla617
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
i can remember going into an our price records and virgin shop and be able to buy any tracks and fill up a cd [[not mp3)there and then in the shop and go home with it.it seemed popular.then i pod and i tunes took over.i didnt buy any and i'm pretty sure i'm not buying any inferior to cd legal bootleg cd-r either alledged or otherwise

waldo
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I bought a cd-r of Shirley Brown's INTIMATE STORM album from Amazon. As written above, it was bare bones when it came to packaging. Even worse, it was copied from vinyl.

wow! that sucks.. and this was issued one time on CD in Japan. they could at least ripped that. no excuse. i sold my copy on eBay last year. I Don't Play That is another back and forth answer record between herself and Barbara Mason.. this time an answer to Another Man

pshark
03-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Warner Bros is doing the same thing for hard to find movies to dvd-r's. I've been wanting this 80's flick called Carney [[Jodie Foster, Gary Busey, Robbie Robertson), so WB finally put it out on dvd-r..
I have no problem with the quality. Great flick btw.
wbshop.com [[http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/ARCHIVE,default,sc.html?src=GGLHMOD&gclid=CIT2rJDHs6cCFQEHbAod1lVD_A)

soulster
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the answers. The CD-R I'm interested in is on Sony.

Makes no difference what brand of CD-R it is. You can buy the same thing at the store.

Seems to me no matter what the source was, if you've bought a CD-r, you've bought a bootleg. Pure and simple.

Wrong! Amazon is doing this nowadays. They can make a custom CD-R. It's a service. It's totally legit.

Motown_M_1056
03-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Makes no difference what brand of CD-R it is. You can buy the same thing at the store.

No you can't. I've looked and have not found the one I eventually bought online. Many stores have stopped stocking Soul CDs or eliminated sections for soul.

tamla617
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
motown m 1056
i thought soulster was talking about the type of cd-r not a "pre burnt" record company cd,soul or otherwise

soulster
03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
No you can't. I've looked and have not found the one I eventually bought online. Many stores have stopped stocking Soul CDs or eliminated sections for soul.

I was talking about the Sony blanks, not the music on them.

Kamasu_Jr
03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
motown m 1056
i thought soulster was talking about the type of cd-r not a "pre burnt" record company cd,soul or otherwise

I'm sure Motown_M was talking about CD-Rs by Demand that have songs on them and artwork for covers. I just bought one [[a CD-R by demand) by Chaka Khan & Rufus which appears to have rare or unreleased tracks and a
nice photo of Chaka in her youth. I found it online at Amazon.com.

tamla617
03-05-2011, 12:40 PM
kam
check soulster's answer on post #25

Kamasu_Jr
03-05-2011, 12:51 PM
kam
check soulster's answer on post #25

I know Soulster was talking about blank or recordable CD_Rs. But we're talking CD-Rs that have already been burned or encoded with songs already on them and artwork. They are popping up on Amazon.com from various labels like Sony, BMG and so on.

tamla617
03-05-2011, 02:35 PM
i know what we're talking about cd-rs'from amazon loaded with an album.
soulster mentioned cd-rs' made by sony not with music loaded on it already.
and motown got it mixed up.that you could buy the same albums on cd [[normal type) in a store,which you cant and thats why they're doing cd-rs' on amazon.

soulster
03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I know Soulster was talking about blank or recordable CD_Rs. But we're talking CD-Rs that have already been burned or encoded with songs already on them and artwork. They are popping up on Amazon.com from various labels like Sony, BMG and so on.

I was simply stating that Amazon used the same type of blank CD-R one could buy anywhere. The music on them is a different story.

I would try one of these if I could be assured that the source is not an mp3.

and motown got it mixed up.that you could buy the same albums on cd [[normal type) in a store,which you cant and thats why they're doing cd-rs' on amazon.

YEAH!

tamla617
03-06-2011, 11:48 AM
soulster
i was begining to think i'd dreamed it all up! cheers

Motown_M_1056
03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
````
I was simply stating that Amazon used the same type of blank CD-R one could buy anywhere. The music on them is a different story.

I would try one of these if I could be assured that the source is not an mp3.

YEAH!

I'm not listening very critically nor care what sources are used for the CD-Rs I purchased. They sound fine to me and are a way to get really rare recordings that I didn't have to download or burn to a CD. But as someone said, you have to do re
search and know what you're buying.

soulster
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
And, I have no problem with downloading stuff. I do it all the time.

I only burn CD-Rs anymore for the car. I store everything on hard drives and in my server.

Burning CD-Rs is a piece of cake.