PDA

View Full Version : MAD Magazine - The End of An Era!

test

marv2
07-04-2019, 09:30 PM
I wished I could say it ain't so.......

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media/mad-magazine-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

arr&bee
07-04-2019, 09:38 PM
What? No more[mad]it seems that many of our institutions are passing from view.

marv2
07-05-2019, 11:24 AM
What? No more[mad]it seems that many of our institutions are passing from view.

This one is crazy. I can't understand the given explanation for it.

arr&bee
07-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Greed,politics ,bad management..take your pick!

Boogiedown
07-07-2019, 12:34 AM
Mad Magazine helped form my thinking in my youth. A small town country boy exposed to NYC dry cynicism presented through ribald [[within tasteful limits and self imposed standards) humor. It all seemed like something from far away , a life view I knew nothing of.

At age ten , I had gone to a friend's house and there it was on his older brother's bed. What is this ?? "Mad magazine!" [[ Issue 100) Thumbed through it and then got muy own copy, read it cover to back cover and from then on couldn't wait for each new issue [[ nine per year).

I convinced my parents to stop at the used book and magazine stores in Hollywood when we would visit my grandparents in Long Beach so I could seek out old copies. I wanted every issue , and sent away for old issues back east. I finally owned them all up until the year I stopped collecting . Unfortunately , like vinyl, condition means everything. I just wanted to own and read them and I bought what my parents were willing to let me get . VG reads just as good as MINT. Oh well , what me worry!

Thanks Mad Magazine , William Gaines for providing me years of eye opening entertainment in my formative years!

marv2
07-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Mad Magazine helped form my thinking in my youth. A small town country boy exposed to NYC dry cynicism presented through ribald [[within tasteful limits and self imposed standards) humor. It all seemed like something from far away , a life view I knew nothing of.

At age ten , I had gone to a friend's house and there it was on his older brother's bed. What is this ?? "Mad magazine!" [[ Issue 100) Thumbed through it and then got muy own copy, read it cover to back cover and from then on couldn't wait for each new issue [[ nine per year).

I convinced my parents to stop at the used book and magazine stores in Hollywood when we would visit my grandparents in Long Beach so I could seek out old copies. I wanted every issue , and sent away for old issues back east. I finally owned them all up until the year I stopped collecting . Unfortunately , like vinyl, condition means everything. I just wanted to own and read them and I bought what my parents were willing to let me get . VG reads just as good as MINT. Oh well , what me worry!

Thanks Mad Magazine , William Gaines for providing me years of eye opening entertainment in my formative years!

Great story. I use to collect Mad, along with my Monster magazines.

milven
07-08-2019, 10:32 AM
I haven't read MAD for years, but it was part of my life as a kid. And in high school, I picked up my copy from the soda shop across the street from the school and read it in study hall. [[Of course, camouflaged in my notebook)

In a way though, I think it lives on.

Boogiedown
07-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Great story. I use to collect Mad, along with my Monster magazines.

thanks Marv. yes , those monster mags! when we'd go to the market with my dad, my brother and I would b-line it to the magazine rack to look at those.
I enjoyed the developmental years of Mad the best. Once they hit they're stride, their content became a little too formula. Understandable because each writer was submitting his particular shtick, like Dave Berg Looks At..... Then to stay relevant to a more sophisticated youth , they widened their boundaries and had lost their innocence. I won't miss the magazine in its present form , but I know its not aimed at me anyway.

Kind of scary what becomes increasingly acceptable in our society as the norm, the goal lines of decency keep getting pushed out . The gutter level of things middle aged ladies discuss on BRAVO for instance .............

144man
07-09-2019, 01:58 PM
I once had the copy I was caught reading in class confiscated by my teacher.
My sister used to say I looked like Alfred E. Neuman, and I have spent the last 50 odd years taking my revenge.

marv2
07-09-2019, 06:53 PM
thanks Marv. yes , those monster mags! when we'd go to the market with my dad, my brother and I would b-line it to the magazine rack to look at those.
I enjoyed the developmental years of Mad the best. Once they hit they're stride, their content became a little too formula. Understandable because each writer was submitting his particular shtick, like Dave Berg Looks At..... Then to stay relevant to a more sophisticated youth , they widened their boundaries and had lost their innocence. I won't miss the magazine in its present form , but I know its not aimed at me anyway.

Kind of scary what becomes increasingly acceptable in our society as the norm, the goal lines of decency keep getting pushed out . The gutter level of things middle aged ladies discuss on BRAVO for instance .............

I'll never forget their parodies of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Poseidon Adventure"! OMG! LOL!!!!

Boogiedown
07-09-2019, 09:11 PM
I'll never forget their parodies of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Poseidon Adventure"! OMG! LOL!!!!

don't you mean "ROSEMARY'S BOO BOO" and "UPSIDE DOWN ADVENTURE" ?

classics, both :)

marv2
07-09-2019, 10:49 PM
don't you mean "ROSEMARY'S BOO BOO" and "UPSIDE DOWN ADVENTURE" ?

classics, both :)

I can't remember what they called them, but I do remember crying laughing as I read those two stories on particular. LOL! The Rosemary's Boo Boo had to been around 1968-69 and Poseidon/Upside Down Adventure around 1972.

marv2
07-09-2019, 10:50 PM
The cartoonists for Mad back in those days were excellent!

144man
07-10-2019, 11:51 AM
I used to like the Marginal Thinking Department. I can still remember some of the proverbs such as "A fool and his money buy this magazine" and "He who laughs last has just seen another meaning".

nativeNY63
07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
I preferred, Crazy magazine myself. I think Marvel was behind it.

PhillyKen
08-01-2019, 09:22 PM
you sure you didn't mean "Cracked"? It was a tad more controversial.

sansradio
08-02-2019, 11:54 AM
you sure you didn't mean "Cracked"? It was a tad more controversial.

Just to chime in, Crazy was a thing as well. I read all three avidly.