PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn McCoo "Don't Leave Me This Way" with Thelma Houston on Solid Gold

test

marv2
06-24-2019, 12:44 PM
How's this for a memory? !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCYqbNWGo0Q

Guy
06-25-2019, 11:24 AM
I love Marilyn McCoo. I saw her with Billy Davis Jr. last summer. She still sounds marvelous. I appreciate that she was always assured when performing music of any genre. And never appeared intimidated by any artist. I loved Solid Gold and to this day fondly remember Marilyn singing memorable renditions of songs as varied as Journey's "Who's Crying Now", Hall & Oates "I Can't Go For That" and Sheena Easton's "You Could Have Been With Me."

Boogiedown
06-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Maybe because the two are so embedded together , yet after all these year, I can't help but think that Thelma and DLMTW were brought together by divine design. Just comparing Marilyn's [[whose voice i love) and Thelma's delivery, there's something befitting in Thelma's voice ....don't know how to describe it .... a soulful sadness?? that completes the song. Maybe I'm just biased, her version is now so ingrained in me , it seems perfect. It is my favorite Motown disco song. Hal Davis sure handed Thelma quite a gift.

Funny here she is on Solid Gold , a couple of years later , singing her "oldie" . lol!
Listening to those tinny thin fake strings....thank god DONT LEAVE ME was released when strings were real. The lost warmth from such instruments is reason #5 pop music
declined into oblivion .