PDA

View Full Version : Reflections [[Pre-Golden World release information)

test

woodward
05-17-2019, 05:39 PM
In Al Kent's book, Custodian of the Hummingbird, he told of a pre-Golden World release by the Reflections. He states, ". . . The Reflections got their start at Kayco Records in Detroit with Barry Kay, the president of the newly formed record label. Their first recording was a song called 'Helpless' and on the flip side was 'You Say Goodbye.' Their first release did well in a number of locales, including Chicago, Cleveland, and Baltimore where it deservingly got tremendous airplay and sent the group out on the road. . . ."

This is the first time I ever heard of this pre-GW release. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA does not mention the Kayco label in it's list of Detroit labels.

Has anyone heard this record? If someone has it in their collection, I would appreciate seeing a scan of the label.

Thank you.

CoolKatz
05-17-2019, 06:27 PM
In Al Kent's book, Custodian of the Hummingbird, he told of a pre-Golden World release by the Reflections. He states, ". . . The Reflections got their start at Kayco Records in Detroit with Barry Kay, the president of the newly formed record label. Their first recording was a song called 'Helpless' and on the flip side was 'You Say Goodbye.' Their first release did well in a number of locales, including Chicago, Cleveland, and Baltimore where it deservingly got tremendous airplay and sent the group out on the road. . . ."

This is the first time I ever heard of this pre-GW release. Keith Rylatt's Groovesville USA does not mention the Kayco label in it's list of Detroit labels.

Has anyone heard this record? If someone has it in their collection, I would appreciate seeing a scan of the label.

Thank you.

A Youtuber uploaded both songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwGF3xpVLdA

woodward
05-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Thank you for locating this virtually unknown recording. I enjoyed the You Said Good Bye more than Helpless, but it was a "short" song only running for 1:43 which is virtually unheard of today. I think the record had potential but it should have been longer. Thanks again. I would never have known about this if it wasn't for Al Kent's book.

booty
05-19-2019, 01:40 AM
1567115672 Both appeared on this compilation a few years back.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
05-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Coming At You is a great song. I have the single. Definitely gave it lots of play. This thread makes me wanna put it back on.

robb_k
05-19-2019, 12:51 PM
I like "Helpless" better, but both songs are good. Barry Kay's Kay-Ko Records 1002 was "Two Time Loser", by The Darlings, an African American Girls Group. It sold a lot better than The Reflection's record, and got some decent radio play. I used to see that record around, everywhere. Both were from mid 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRoWXqIhw8