PDA

View Full Version : Doris Day and Motown

test

lucky2012
05-14-2019, 12:19 PM
I'm mourning Doris Day's passing and am reminded of her significance to Motown and of Berry Gordy's admiration for her. I remember reacting the way many must have. The immediate thought was "What does Doris Day have to do with Motown?" Well...Of course, I know better now. Her image and talent was an important part of Berry Gordy's vision and aspirations.

She has been my favorite "Movie Star" and one of my all-time favorite singers. I can also be most grateful for what she has meant for Motown.

Roberta75
05-14-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm mourning Doris Day's passing and am reminded of her significance to Motown and of Berry Gordy's admiration for her. I remember reacting the way many must have. The immediate thought was "What does Doris Day have to do with Motown?" Well...Of course, I know better now. Her image and talent was an important part of Berry Gordy's vision and aspirations.

She has been my favorite "Movie Star" and one of my all-time favorite singers. I can also be most grateful for what she has meant for Motown.

Im sure Mr Gordy sent his love and prayers to Ms Days family.

reese
05-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Early in his career, Berry wrote a song called YOU ARE YOU for Doris but was never able to get it to her. Years later, he was able to present a copy of the sheet music to her. There's a photo of the occasion in his book.

marv2
05-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Mary Wilson has cited Doris Day as being a big influence on her in terms of the type of personality she wanted to attain.

kenneth
05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Mary Wilson has cited Doris Day as being a big influence on her in terms of the type of personality she wanted to attain.

And in one of her books, Mary captions a photo of her in her blonde wig days saying something like "I must have seen too many Doris Day movies!"

I liked many of her movies especially the comedies with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. But the movies where she's a damsel in distress - isn't there one where she lands a jet plane or something - are something else again!

marv2
05-14-2019, 04:12 PM
And in one of her books, Mary captions a photo of her in her blonde wig days saying something like "I must have seen too many Doris Day movies!"

I liked many of her movies especially the comedies with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. But the movies where she's a damsel in distress - isn't there one where she lands a jet plane or something - are something else again!

That's right Kenneth. I remember that.

motownlover1964
05-15-2019, 07:50 AM
The name of that movie is "Julie." I just saw it a month ago and had never heard of it. It's pure soap opera but she rises above the material and does an excellent job.

kenneth
05-15-2019, 11:48 AM
@motownlover1964, It seems she didn't play in that many dramas, mostly comedies, or at least her comedies are her best known films. But I think she was great in "Love Me or Leave Me" with James Cagney and really showed she could handle a major dramatic role. She played the 20s singer Ruth Etting and although it did romanticize a lot of aspects of her life, it wasn't pure Hollywood hokum like so many Hollywood "bios".