PDA

View Full Version : George benson talks about recording "give me the night"

test

glencro
05-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Great article https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/apr/30/george-benson-how-we-made-give-me-the-night-quincy-jones

Jerry Oz
05-07-2019, 01:44 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I'm a huge Rod Temperton fan and appreciate the anecdotes. What a remarkable songwriter. When that album debuted, I purchased it with reservations. I'm such a big jazz fan that having my favorite guitarist switch to pop was a bit of a letdown. But the album is great, one of Q's best, in my opinion. The only song I didn't really appreciate was "Star of a Story" which was done to sheer perfection by Johnny Wilder, Jr. and Heatwave on their "Central Heating" LP. I don't have a list of my all-time top 50 favorite songs but if someone assumed that it was one of them, I wouldn't be mad. Benson's cover was well done, but it didn't move me. Interestingly, the guitar solo at the end of the Heatwave version is one of my very favorite pieces of music ever [[props to Eric Johns).

And "Give Me The Night" is just one of those songs that flows from the very first note. Listening to it reminds me that we lost Louis Johnson and Rod Temperton within the span of a year. I'm losing my heroes. Thank God, we still have George Benson.

marv2
05-07-2019, 02:24 AM
I wore that album out. It is still a favorite all these years later.

sansradio
05-07-2019, 02:35 AM
This is a great piece about a great recording, glencro! I was hoping that my idol Patti Austin's contribution would be acknowledged; lo and behold, I was overjoyed to see the extended interview excerpt from her. Interesting to hear that Rod Temperton did not read music and was essentially tone-deaf; some of the greatest songwriters and producers in the business are the same way [[viz., Diane Warren). Thanks again!

Bluebrock
05-07-2019, 02:57 AM
This is a great piece about a great recording, glencro! I was hoping that my idol Patti Austin's contribution would be acknowledged; lo and behold, I was overjoyed to see the extended interview excerpt from her. Interesting to hear that Rod Temperton did not read music and was essentially tone-deaf; some of the greatest songwriters and producers in the business are the same way [[viz., Diane Warren). Thanks again!
Sansradio. I am glad there is someone else who adores Patti Austin. What a magnificent singer she is, and one of the funniest people it has ever been my privilege to meet. Sorry for going slightly off topic. Give me the night is indeed a classic album which i still play regularly.

sansradio
05-07-2019, 03:07 AM
Sansradio. I am glad there is someone else who adores Patti Austin. What a magnificent singer she is, and one of the funniest people it has ever been my privilege to meet. Sorry for going slightly off topic. Give me the night is indeed a classic album which i still play regularly.

Case in point: The last time I saw her live, she mentioned Greg Phillinganes in her stage patter. I applauded in recognition when she did; she then pointed towards me and told the crowd, “That’s Greg Phillinganes clappin’.” 😂

glencro
05-07-2019, 05:56 PM

I meant to mention Patti in the post title. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her contribution to the article. It was so rich and detailed.

Bluebrock
05-08-2019, 02:57 AM
I meant to mention Patti in the post title. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her contribution to the article. It was so rich and detailed.
That's Patti for you!