PDA

View Full Version : Motown Legends! [[Photo)

test

marv2
04-29-2019, 06:34 PM
Detroit's in the house!!!!

daviddesper
04-30-2019, 12:16 AM
Great photo! I missed out on the lengthy earlier discussions because I had DVRed the special and actually just got around to watching it yesterday. First of all, Mary does indeed still look awesome! Secondly, we should all have Berry's genes as we go through the rest of our days!!!

My overall take on the show was that it seemed to feature too much Stevie, too much Smokey, and too much Diana [[a comment that I am sure will infuriate some folks); and not enough older clips or remembrances of some of the others who were such an important part of the Motown story. Where was Gladys? The Four Tops? The Velvelettes? just to mention a few. You were also left with the impression that Shop Around was Motown's first number one hit, which minimized the importance of Please Mr. Postman.

Yes, the In Memoriam feature was a touching walk down Memory Lane, but unless I missed it, neither Gladys Horton nor Jimmy Ruffin were shown. But I imagine the rest of you have already addressed that.

Overall a decent enough show but it could have been better. But again, how could you ever compress 60 years into a two-hour show and please everyone?

marv2
04-30-2019, 04:12 AM
Great photo! I missed out on the lengthy earlier discussions because I had DVRed the special and actually just got around to watching it yesterday. First of all, Mary does indeed still look awesome! Secondly, we should all have Berry's genes as we go through the rest of our days!!!

My overall take on the show was that it seemed to feature too much Stevie, too much Smokey, and too much Diana [[a comment that I am sure will infuriate some folks); and not enough older clips or remembrances of some of the others who were such an important part of the Motown story. Where was Gladys? The Four Tops? The Velvelettes? just to mention a few. You were also left with the impression that Shop Around was Motown's first number one hit, which minimized the importance of Please Mr. Postman.

Yes, the In Memoriam feature was a touching walk down Memory Lane, but unless I missed it, neither Gladys Horton nor Jimmy Ruffin were shown. But I imagine the rest of you have already addressed that.

Overall a decent enough show but it could have been better. But again, how could you ever compress 60 years into a two-hour show and please everyone?

You didn't miss them, they were not there. Neither was Georgianna Tillman of the Marvelettes who passed in 1980.

marv2
05-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Here are Mary, Smokey and Otis:

arr&bee
05-03-2019, 07:21 PM
here are mary, smokey and otis:

15417motown royalty!!