PDA

View Full Version : SUPREMES with HALL & OATES - "MY WORLD IS EMPTY" "MANEATER"

test

milven
04-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Every time that I listened to MANEATER, I thought of My World Is Empty. They sounded so similar to me.

Earlier, while replying to another thread, I found this. The guy who put it together is brilliant. The mix is seamless. The video is brilliant and the mix of the lyrics is interesting. Diana is saying that her world is empty without him, and Daryl is cautioning to beware of her because she is a maneater trying to trap her guy. Love this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCjr2EUHRuk

JohnnyB
04-29-2019, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=milven;513658]Every time that I listened to MANEATER, I thought of My World Is Empty. They sounded so similar to me.

Earlier, while replying to another thread, I found this. The guy who put it together is brilliant. The mix is seamless. The video is brilliant and the mix of the lyrics is interesting. Diana is saying that her world is empty without him, and Daryl is cautioning to beware of her because she is a maneater trying to trap her guy. Love this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCjr2EUHRuk[/QUOTE

This is so awesome. Maneater has always reminded me of the Supremes, but I thought I was hearing the similarities of You Can’t Hurry Love; I hadn’t considered My World. I’m typically not a fan of mashups, but this is so seamless and works perfectly. Loving this...

blkfrost
04-29-2019, 10:27 AM
This is fabulous. Love it!

PeaceNHarmony
04-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Love it. Mashups can be a great reinvention -

Bluebrock
04-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Great mash up. I had never really noticed the similarities until PeaceNHarmony brought it to my attention.

lucky2012
04-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Yes. Didn't want it to end.

gman
04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Best one I've ever heard....thanks! Phils version of YCHL makes me wanna "woof my cookies" I hate it... I did think Maneater was a cover of that the first time I heard the intro..I've heard at least 2 rock-a-billy bands cover YCHL but can't remember who?

captainjames
04-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Brilliant !!!!

florence
04-30-2019, 07:23 AM
Wow! - sensational.

copley
04-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Sorry, not for me!

Circa 1824
04-30-2019, 09:36 PM
It is a seamless mashup. Brilliantly done !!

florence
05-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Apparently - it's no co-incidence that these two songs sound familiar.

Daryl Hall had a Live At Daryl's videocast where he had various singer/ songwriters with him.

On one occasion his guest was Lamont Dozier one third of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Motown songwriting partnership; and they retold the story how John Oates wrote the core of Maneater [[or "Here She Comes" as it was known then in 1976), but was later finished off/improved by Hall & his then muse/life partner Sara Allen & retooled as "Maneater".

"Here She Comes" was actually written as a reply song to "My World Is Empty Without You" before the narrative was changed so that the male protagonist was now afraid the female victim was going to be out for revenge. But even though they felt it was a hit they wanted to clear it by H-D-H before recording and releasing. Which they did after meeting Lamont Dozier & Eddie Holland at the 1980 Grammy Awards in 1981.

lucky2012
05-02-2019, 02:33 PM
^ Thank you. Like a lot of people, I thought Maneater was inspired by You Can't Hurry Love. This revelation is fascinating and totally makes sense. The mashup is perfect.

milven
05-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Apparently - it's no co-incidence that these two songs sound familiar.

Daryl Hall had a Live At Daryl's videocast where he had various singer/ songwriters with him.

On one occasion his guest was Lamont Dozier one third of the Holland-Dozier-Holland Motown songwriting partnership; and they retold the story how John Oates wrote the core of Maneater [[or "Here She Comes" as it was known then in 1976), but was later finished off/improved by Hall & his then muse/life partner Sara Allen & retooled as "Maneater".

"Here She Comes" was actually written as a reply song to "My World Is Empty Without You" before the narrative was changed so that the male protagonist was now afraid the female victim was going to be out for revenge. But even though they felt it was a hit they wanted to clear it by H-D-H before recording and releasing. Which they did after meeting Lamont Dozier & Eddie Holland at the 1980 Grammy Awards in 1981.

Fascinating infomation. Thank you