PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to the Mighty Ann Peebles

test

PeaceNHarmony
04-27-2019, 06:03 PM
... because sometimes all you can say is ... 'girl' ...

daviddesper
04-27-2019, 11:36 PM
Thanks for sharing the news. She put out some great stuff in her day.

PeaceNHarmony
04-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Thanks for sharing the news. She put out some great stuff in her day.Absolutely. Worth a re-listen on this, Ann's birthday weekend.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Ann Peebles -- one of HI Records' finest!

TomatoTom123
05-01-2019, 08:28 PM
I downloaded several of Ann's albums a while back, and quite liked them, but was surprisingly underwhelmed in the majority. Not sure why. Probably worth a revisit.

I only know "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "I'm Gonna Tear Down Your Playhouse", what others would you recommend to get me started...? :)

Philles/Motown Gary
05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Tom, I have 5 of Ann's HI Records albums on CD:

1) Part-Time Love [[1971)
2) Straight From The Heart [[1972)
3) I Can't Stand The Rain [[1974)
4) Tellin' It [[1975)
5) If This Is Heaven [[1977)

Since you're somewhat underwhelmed by her album tracks, it's hard to know what to recommend unless I know which of her albums you have. Let me know, and then we can take it from there.

daviddesper
05-01-2019, 11:30 PM
If I may join it, I found her best two albums to be "The Handwriting is on the Wall" and "Tellin' It." Each have several standout cuts.

PeaceNHarmony
05-02-2019, 07:30 AM
If I may join it, I found her best two albums to be "The Handwriting is on the Wall" and "Tellin' It." Each have several standout cuts.
Of course you may! And I shall play those two this evening.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Tom, just off the top of my head, play the tracks "Part-Time Love", "You Keep Me Hanging On" [[not the Motown song), "If This Is Heaven", and "Do I Need You". These are all on YouTube.
If you play them in this order, it will provide you with a perfectly-paced sample of what's available in Ann's catalog. [[You're right, sometimes the pacing of her album tracks could be a bit repetitious and underwhelming. Gotta skip around and keep it fresh!)

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2019, 09:54 PM
I downloaded several of Ann's albums a while back, and quite liked them, but was surprisingly underwhelmed in the majority. Not sure why. Probably worth a revisit.

I only know "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "I'm Gonna Tear Down Your Playhouse", what others would you recommend to get me started...? :)

Tom, did you like any of the Ann Peebles' tracks that I suggested?

TomatoTom123
05-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Hi Gary, I think I have all of the albums you listed, as well as The Handwriting Is On The Wall. I will check out those tracks soon! :)

TomatoTom123
05-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Gary, I listened to those tracks you suggested, and liked them all! I don't know why I didn't think too much of them when I first checked them out. Sometimes I feel that way about an artist, only to revisit later on and really enjoy their tracks. :)

Philles/Motown Gary
05-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Gary, I listened to those tracks you suggested, and liked them all! I don't know why I didn't think too much of them when I first checked them out. Sometimes I feel that way about an artist, only to revisit later on and really enjoy their tracks. :)

I'm glad you liked them, Tom! Sometimes it just depends upon your mood at the time. There are nights when nothing sounds good to me -- not even songs that I know I love. That's when I just hang it up and wait until another night... a better mood.