PDA

View Full Version : Motown 60 Sunday Night

test

jobeterob
04-19-2019, 07:49 PM
http://kwbe.com/abc_entertai/cbs-motown-60-a-grammy-celebration-salutes-iconic-record-label-with-stevie-smokey-diana-meghan-john-jlo-and-more-abcid36176964/

Fourtopsbiggestfan
04-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Looking absolutely pathetic, disgusting and vile. Tons of useless non Motown related people and too few of the actual groups with the surviving members. Looking like we're screwed again as always.

kenneth
04-20-2019, 08:52 PM
I think it might be interesting. They've got a few of the Golden Age veterans...I don't even want to think how many of them are gone. I think I'll check this out.

Roberta75
04-20-2019, 09:01 PM
I think it might be interesting. They've got a few of the Golden Age veterans...I don't even want to think how many of them are gone. I think I'll check this out.

Me too Kenneth.

jobeterob
04-20-2019, 09:03 PM
The massive Gordy family on Facebook is definitely behind this

bradsupremes
04-20-2019, 11:00 PM
Of course the Gordy family would be behind it. This is their legacy, but they'll back anything honoring Motown whether its good or not. This special is geared toward the average viewer, not the dedicated Motown fan. I'm not expecting a Motown 25 or Motown 40.

It's odd. There has been no word or mention of the Motown documentary yet. When this special taped back in February word was the Motown documentary was going to air on Showtime in April, yet here we are entering the last full week of April and not a word has been spoken. In fact, this whole Motown 60 celebration so far has been a huge let down. The Grammy Awards Motown tribute was a joke. I doubt I'll be enthralled with this Motown 60 Grammys special. I'm hoping the documentary will be good [[whenever that airs), but that'll have a Gordy slant to it. After that, what else is there since clearly Universal doesn't give a damn nor clear to do anything in terms of music? Their "Motown Did It First" campaign is nothing but Instagram stories, but where's the music?

I said it before and I'll say it again...Motown 60, like Motown 50, is going to be a huge wet fart.

helga
04-20-2019, 11:01 PM
The massive Gordy family on Facebook is definitely behind this

It's presented by the Gordy family on Facebook? Wow, what a powerful family. So glad they took the Motown 60 celebration into their own hands, otherwise we would have nothing.

lakedistrictlad1
04-21-2019, 03:34 AM
I watched a trailer for Motown 60. Honestly, if it hadn't had Motown in the title, I wouldn't have had a clue this was about my favourite record label. It left me cold.

marv2
04-21-2019, 05:57 AM
This makes me wonder why Lionel Richie dropped out of doing this show at the last minute.

marybrewster
04-21-2019, 01:33 PM
So far in every trailer I've seen, there's been no mention of Martha. I've heard she was there and sang "Nowhere". Bets on if she's cut?

marv2
04-21-2019, 01:48 PM
I have a feeling it is going to be "Dullsville" and not "Hitsville" LOL!!!

copley
04-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Never mind all those non Motown people give us the real thing! Blinky Williams, Chris Clark, Martha Reeves, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Carolyn Crawford, Chuck Jackson, Thelma Houston, Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, Valerie Simpson, Velvelettes, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Katherine Anderson, Wanda Rogers, Ann Bogan, Juanita Cowart, Jean Terrell, Cindy Birdsong, Mary Wilson, Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne, Susaye Greene, Otis Williams, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Mabel John, Claudette Robinson, G. C. Cameron, Kay & Helen Lewis, HDH, Jack Ashford, Joe Messina, Ivy Jo Hunter, Pam Sawyer, Gloria Jones, Joe Messina and anyone whose name I have not mentioned who is still on this earth from the good old days of classic Motown! It does not matter if they can perform or not and BG should pay for them to be there. They have earned their moment in Motown history.

marv2
04-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Never mind all those non Motown people give us the real thing! Blinky Williams, Chris Clark, Martha Reeves, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Carolyn Crawford, Chuck Jackson, Thelma Houston, Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, Valerie Simpson, Velvelettes, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Katherine Anderson, Wanda Rogers, Ann Bogan, Juanita Cowart, Jean Terrell, Cindy Birdsong, Mary Wilson, Lynda Laurence, Scherrie Payne, Susaye Greene, Otis Williams, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Mabel John, Claudette Robinson, G. C. Cameron, Kay & Helen Lewis, HDH, Jack Ashford, Joe Messina, Ivy Jo Hunter, Pam Sawyer, Gloria Jones, Joe Messina and anyone whose name I have not mentioned who is still on this earth from the good old days of classic Motown! It does not matter if they can perform or not and BG should pay for them to be there. They have earned their moment in Motown history.

Add all of the living Vandellas, Annette Helton, Rosalind Ashford, Betty Kelly, Lois Reeves. Also add Billy Griffin who gave the Miracles their biggest selling hit, The Commodores, El DeBarge, etc.

Roberta75
04-21-2019, 05:24 PM
So far in every trailer I've seen, there's been no mention of Martha. I've heard she was there and sang "Nowhere". Bets on if she's cut?

I read our dear Marthas been cut MaryBrewster which doesnt please me at all.

Roberta75
04-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Our dear Dr. Martha Reeves has been cut from the show after rehearsing for 2 days. Now thats not right imo and im real disappointed.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/3510335002

Roberta75
04-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Thelma Houstons real excited about all the young folks performing on Motown 60!

https://www.wvlt.tv/video?vid=508816552

Roberta75
04-21-2019, 06:10 PM
This makes me wonder why Lionel Richie dropped out of doing this show at the last minute.

He came down with a bad stomachache bug when he found out Mary and all the living Vandellas, Annette Helton, Rosalind Ashford, Betty Kelly, Lois Reeves, Billy GriffiN, The Commodores, El DeBarge and got real sick when he found out Lynda Lawrence wasnt invited. Hes much better now though and going to watch the show tonight.

jobeterob
04-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Our dear Dr. Martha Reeves has been cut from the show after rehearsing for 2 days. Now thats not right imo and im real disappointed.

I notice there are explanations about choices they made

No Temptations and Four Tops because that’s original line ups are gone

Diana Ross wasn’t supposed to sing to Berry in the crowd but they left it because it was special

I’m sorry if Martha hot eliminated; I’m fearful for what the reason was but at least she was there and got to perform

bradsupremes
04-21-2019, 06:51 PM
The explanation as to why Duke and Otis weren’t included because the “original lineups are gone” is pure bull. So instead of using them the Grammys choose artists who have no association with Motown whatsoever. They could have used the guys somehow. Both groups are still touring.

This isn’t the first time they’ve cut Martha. Her segment was cut from Motown 45 too.

I know they wanted a broad appeal to include modern artists, but from what I’ve heard many of Motown alumni were not pleased not to get any recognition.

khansperac
04-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Martha is listed as a performer on my channel guide.

Roberta75
04-21-2019, 07:01 PM
The explanation as to why Duke and Otis weren’t included because the “original lineups are gone” is pure bull. So instead of using them the Grammys choose artists who have no association with Motown whatsoever. They could have used the guys somehow. Both groups are still touring.

This isn’t the first time they’ve cut Martha. Her segment was cut from Motown 45 too.

I know they wanted a broad appeal to include modern artists, but from what I’ve heard many of Motown alumni were not pleased not to get any recognition.

it really annoys me that Marthas been cut from the show cause shes Motowns greatest ambasador imo. Smh at this bad decision.

jobeterob
04-21-2019, 07:04 PM
I hope they leave a moment of Martha in; likely she doesn’t sound like the Martha of old; likewise if they could find a moment with Duke and Otis - but I’m sure they have their economic reasons

I wonder if they pay the performers??

Fourtopsbiggestfan
04-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Here comes a night of pure trash. Motown is literally dead.

marv2
04-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Here comes a night of pure trash. Motown is literally dead.

Can't argue with you there. It's like they have NO common sense when they put these shows together. They are going to have JLO reprise her silly Grammy Awards "Motown Tribute". This will be the first one of these specials I will not even bother recording.

marv2
04-21-2019, 07:14 PM

You are exactly right. People are still paying to see and hear these artists sing and perform. This show should not be targeted to 15 year olds. This music is not for them regardless of what Smokey Robinson says.

carlo
04-21-2019, 07:36 PM
This entire affair is quite sad. I suppose I should not be surprised. The Grammy's are very much a representation of the current music industry, which I would say is very much going down the drain. Therefore keeping that in mind, it only makes sense that this TV special would be equally disappointing. I can understand that they want to draw in a younger crowd by including some current artists, but it seems that the ratio of current artists to Motown legends is extremely disproportionate. The list of artists leaves me scratching my head. I didn't think Ciara was still relevant? They could have chopped her out and at least put together a five minute medley featuring the legends they purposely left out. That's at the very least.

I told a baby boomer about this special and how so many living legends were purposely excluded. I named a bunch of the Motown legends who were absent from this show. They were shocked and disappointed. How can you be "remembering Motown" and excluding those who made Motown, at the same time? So very disrespectful and sad.

carlo
04-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Thelma Houston's performance was perfect in every way! Thank God for her.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
04-21-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm too afraid that if I watch, I'll end up cursing at the TV screen, so I'm watching reruns of Gilligan's Island instead. Not even joking there. At least I know what I'm getting with that show.

vgalindo
04-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Well that’s a big disappointment. I was really looking forward to seeing Martha Reeves.

carlo
04-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Diana's performance was dazzling and the loving moments between her and BG were so sweet! She was in fine voice. Time to release another jazz album! :) Loved that Mary got lots of airtime as well during the Supremes and Motown history segments. She looks beautiful. Smokey sounded wonderful as well during his performances. I also liked Ne-Yo.

reese
04-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Diana's performance was dazzling and the loving moments between her and BG were so sweet! She was in fine voice. Time to release another jazz album! :) Loved that Mary got lots of airtime as well during the Supremes and Motown history segments. She looks beautiful. Smokey sounded wonderful as well during his performances. I also liked Ne-Yo.

I agree. Aside from the obvious criticisms, I thought the special was very entertaining. For me, Diana's performance was the moment of the night but Smokey and Stevie also turned in good ones as well. And it was also nice to see an IN MEMORIAM segment devoted to some of the Motowners no longer with us.

carlo
04-21-2019, 10:10 PM
I was expecting to hate this special and it was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. They cut down a lot of the performances by the younger artists and edited them down. Some weren't on the special at all, like Little Big Town, who I actually like. They did indeed cut Martha out, which is too bad. She has a sharp memory when it comes to Motown's history, so they could have maybe made up for her cut performance by including a segment with Mary and Martha reminiscing about the early days and the Motown tours. I liked the in memoriam but they forgot to include a lot of our Motown legends. The songwriters segment was nice. All around pretty good but it could have been better. The audience sing along segments were unnecessary.

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:11 PM
Ok, it's over now. My review? YAWN!!!!!!

carlo
04-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Ok, it's over now. My review? YAWN!!!!!!

Lol. You didn't like all of the airtime that Mary got?

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:16 PM
I agree. Aside from the obvious criticisms, I thought the special was very entertaining. For me, Diana's performance was the moment of the night but Smokey and Stevie also turned in good ones as well. And it was also nice to see an IN MEMORIAM segment devoted to some of the Motowners no longer with us.

Regarding the Memoriam segment, the Marvelettes still can't get no respect from the company they helped build! Not even a mention of Gladys Horton or Georgeanna Tillman. I don't even recall seeing a photo of Beans Bowles, Cholly Atkins, Maxine Powell or Maurice King! ZERO mention of Gladys Knight and the Pips or the Elgins. They didn't even honor Berry Gordy's parents, his sisters or his brothers who all had a hand in building Motown. No Miss Ray at all! They can bite me over that one!

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:19 PM
Lol. You didn't like all of the airtime that Mary got?

Carlo, now you know I did. She looked spectacular, but overall I was highly disappointed in this show. There was not nostalgic energy even. It was like, let's just get this over. Too many people were ignored or just plain forgetten. Did they mention the Andantes? I saw the Funk Brothers tribute in the Memoriam segment, but they did not include Marlene Barrow-Tate at all.

jim aka jtigre99
04-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Wow, thought it was tacky to have them stand if" you were involved with Motown" with no closeups or verbal acknowledgement. Heck, Scherrie Payne didn't even get her name shown. Neither did Janie Bradford.Disrespect, they should have called them by name and asked them to stand or better yet have them come to the stage and introduce them. I thought it was disrespectful to those living Motown legends in the audience. Still, it was better than what I expected but nowhere near how great it could have been. I didn't mind some of the performers covering classic songs, but just rerunning JLo's Grammy performance was not a good idea and I hate to say Fantasia was awful covering Mary Wells' My Guy-I did not like that at all.

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:41 PM
Wow, thought it was tacky to have them stand if" you were involved with Motown" with no closeups or verbal acknowledgement. Heck, Scherrie Payne didn't even get her name shown. Neither did Janie Bradford.Disrespect, they should have called them by name and asked them to stand or better yet have them come to the stage and introduce them. I thought it was disrespectful to those living Motown legends in the audience. Still, it was better than what I expected but nowhere near how great it could have been. I didn't mind some of the performers covering classic songs, but just rerunning JLo's Grammy performance was not a good idea and I hate to say Fantasia was awful covering Mary Wells' My Guy-I did not like that at all.

Yeah they had the nerve to re-air that ghastly JLO Motown segment, but ignored about 85% of the "Motown Family". I noticed that there was NO reaction when Michael Jackson's photo was shown. I was surprised they showed one of Florence because they never mention her in any of these "specials".

marybrewster
04-21-2019, 10:42 PM
I went into this thinking I'd hate it. I don't know if I loved it, but watching Diana serenade Berry was a highlight.

My critiques would be they should have had all the living Motown stars sitting together in the front row, and was it just me, or was the segment when they showed Supremes clips the same exact footage from Motown 25?

jboy88
04-21-2019, 10:43 PM
I’m just getting home after being out all day, so I haven’t been able to tune in! I take it I didn’t miss much.

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:51 PM
I went into this thinking I'd hate it. I don't know if I loved it, but watching Diana serenade Berry was a highlight.

My critiques would be they should have had all the living Motown stars sitting together in the front row, and was it just me, or was the segment when they showed Supremes clips the same exact footage from Motown 25?

It was the same footage from Motown 25. They also re-used the idea of having the songwriters sitting around reminicing like on M25. It was criminal how they completely ignored Michael Jackson's contributions to Motown other than that guy singing "I'll Be There". They never even mentioned him by name.

marv2
04-21-2019, 10:52 PM
I’m just getting home after being out all day, so I haven’t been able to tune in! I take it I didn’t miss much.

You didn't miss a thang..........LOL!

nevertoolate
04-21-2019, 11:41 PM
At first, I didn't like it, but I think it was aimed at the Millennials [[ I know some 29 year
olds who NEVER heard of Martha and the Vandellas). They only showcased the very big
near universal names they felt most people would know. I thought they covered Smokey
and Stevie well and I liked the special tribute to Berry Gordy with Diana singing [[ after all the man is 89 years old. I think people should get flowers [[and tributes) while they can still smell and hear them. If you notice, the non-Motown people were current stars with
current shows on TV, Legend, JLO [[The Voice) and Cedric [[The Neighborhood), I did like
the songwriters segment and was surprised they had Mickey there and Holland/Dozier.
This show was not aimed at the Baby Boomer Motown Fanatic Northern Soul demographic. It was ok but very watered down in my book.

luke
04-21-2019, 11:47 PM
I was shocked they left Gladys Horton out of the In Memoriam.

vgalindo
04-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Wow. Is all I can say. DIANA Ross nailed her performance. She was magnificent!

Philles/Motown Gary
04-22-2019, 12:14 AM
I agree with pretty much all of the comments above. I had been looking forward to Motown 60 since they started advertising it, although not really sure of what to expect. The first half hour of the show found me questioning, "Why am I even watching this?" So many strangers performing who had me wondering if they were current-day Motown artists or what [[who cares?), especially when there are SO MANY classic '60s Motown artists who are still living and should have been included but were totally ignored. [[An exception was John Legend. What a classy guy he is! And he did great justice to Marvin's '70s music.) I would have loved to have seen Mary perform a song. Seeing her sitting in the audience, surely yearning to be up on stage with her fellow Motowners, struck me as both strange and sad. On a brighter note, Smokey, Stevie, and Thelma were right on. [[I swear, Smokey and Diana have a contest going to see who can look the youngest! I've gotta say, it's a tie!) As I knew it would be, the highlight of the show for me was Diana who looked and sounded like a million bucks! Her singing "My Man" to Berry was so touching, it brought tears to my eyes, especially the way Berry looked so proud and touched by Diana's sentiment.

jobeterob
04-22-2019, 01:08 AM
Very emotional for Smokey singing his songs; decent recognition for many while still trying to attract young viewers and Berry looked awesome; my wife says Diana still has the voice; Diana said that was a song that was hard to sing 40 years ago

vgalindo
04-22-2019, 01:37 AM
Very emotional for Smokey singing his songs; decent recognition for many while still trying to attract young viewers and Berry looked awesome; my wife says Diana still has the voice; Diana said that was a song that was hard to sing 40 years ago
I have friends and family texting me saying how good Diana Ross still sounds. And they can’t believe she’s 75 years old. One person said she still has that beautiful tone in her voice.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
04-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Martha Reeves and Otis Williams sitting in the audience like a cockroach? Completely a show from hell. Diana doing her usual sucky crossover crap. No Duke. Thanks for NOTHING GORDY. I'm not kissing his ass like that sellout Diana.

theboyfromxtown
04-22-2019, 04:08 AM
Did the Velvelettes get a mention?

DWSheffer
04-22-2019, 08:17 AM
I enjoyed the show....I had a few emotional moments I must admit. I think Diana did very well, and newer artist-wise, I really enjoyed Ne-yo, one of my favorite singers from my younger years.
Darin

milven
04-22-2019, 08:41 AM
i recorded the show and will watch it today. But I have read the comments here and also some of the reviews. I do wish some of the reviewers would educate themselves on Motown's history if they are going to write about it. I read this in one review"

Chloe x Halle, did the Supremes right on ‘Please Mr Postman’.

Well we are even cause I don't know who Chloe x Halle is.

But I was surprised to read Mary Well's being referred to as First Lady of Motown. Revisionist History now gives that title to Claudette. But in the early days of Motown, that title belonged to Mary. It was Mary Wells who was called the First Lady of Motown by dee-jays and young fans like me. Sorry Roberta :[[

while Fantasia honoured the artist often called “The First Lady of Motown,” covering Mary Wells’ ‘My Guy’.

marv2
04-22-2019, 09:06 AM
i recorded the show and will watch it today. But I have read the comments here and also some of the reviews. I do wish some of the reviewers would educate themselves on Motown's history if they are going to write about it. I read this in one review"

Chloe x Halle, did the Supremes right on ‘Please Mr Postman’.

Well we are even cause I don't know who Chloe x Halle is.

But I was surprised to read Mary Well's being referred to as First Lady of Motown. Revisionist History now gives that title to Claudette. But in the early days of Motown, that title belonged to Mary. It was Mary Wells who was called the First Lady of Motown by dee-jays and young fans like me. Sorry Roberta :[[

while Fantasia honoured the artist often called “The First Lady of Motown,” covering Mary Wells’ ‘My Guy’.

How are they going to get the facts on Motown right, when "Motown" itself leaves out most of artists and personnel during these big anniversary shows? Not a mention of the Contours last night even though Joe Billingslea is still performing. The Spinners must have never been on Motown because they did not mention them either!

woodward
04-22-2019, 09:17 AM
One disappointment I had with the show was the failure to even mention the Motown Museum and it's expansion that it is currently undergoing. It would have been appropriate to mention When in Detroit please visit the expanded Motown Museum later this year, etc. etc. When the exhibit was at the Henry Ford Museum, they concluded with a Smokey invitation to visit the Motown Museum downtown.

marv2
04-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Just curious. Was Frank Wilson mentioned last night?

marv2
04-22-2019, 09:24 AM
One disappointment I had with the show was the failure to even mention the Motown Museum and it's expansion that it is currently undergoing. It would have been appropriate to mention When in Detroit please visit the expanded Motown Museum later this year, etc. etc. When the exhibit was at the Henry Ford Museum, they concluded with a Smokey invitation to visit the Motown Museum downtown.

That would have been perfect! It would have been a major opportunity to promote the Museum.

RanRan79
04-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Because of all of the Soulful Detroit reporting over the last months, I was not looking forward to this. At one point I said I wouldn't watch at all, but the closer the airdate the more I started to change my mind. Of course I DVR'd it as it was not important to watch live when I could be watching basketball, and I knew there would be stuff I'd want to skip through during the show. I watched it at about 2am and just as I figured, I was underwhelmed.

The low points. I hated the editing. It was more apparent that this show was chopped up than the editing during Motown 25. The camera shots sucked too. During performances there were tons of shots of random, no name people singing and grooving to the songs, when the camera should have been mostly on the Motowners in the audience. This would have been a good time to at least put the names up on the screen of which Motowners were which. And the shots of Stevie singing "Never Dreamed" during the memorial, the camera should have been fixed on a shot of Stevie and the memorial screen together rather than jumping back and forth, and I suspect that during some of the longer shots of Stevie that we missed a couple of the memorialized Motowners. The sing that song game also sucked. Rather than give random unknowns screen time, this was again a missed opportunity for the Motowners who were in the building but not on the program. Re-airing the J Lo tribute was dumb. While I was one who wasn't happy to hear J Lo was doing a Motown tribute on the Grammys, I think she did an excellent job. But I didn't need to see that again. And to know that Martha Reeves got cut from the show but they stuck a rerun of J Lo instead really pisses me off.

Now the highlights. Chloe and Halle were fantastic on "Postman". I love that arrangement. Fantasia rarely disappoints me but I was a bit underwhelmed by her "My Guy" rendition, although the arrangement was actually really nice. She should've been given a Gladys Knight or Martha Reeves number to tear up. Honestly it would've been nice if she had even done Kim's "Take Me In Your Arms". "My Guy" just wasn't it. But it's Tasia so she can never be a low point for me. Smokey's voice just doesn't change. He was killin it. Tori Kelly was very good. Neyo was also very good. The songwriters segment was good.

But of course the highest highlight for me was Miss Ross. She could've kept "Do You Know" [[a song I hate), but I always love to hear her sing "Good Morning Heartache", which I think is a good fit for her 75 year old vocal range. As soon as she started "My Man", I cringed. I thought "She shouldn't even try this at this point in her career and on primetime television", but how wrong I was. She nailed it. I was shocked. Don't know if this was one of those once in an elderly lifetime vocal moments [[like how Aretha seemed to find every bit of who she used to be vocally when she performed "Natural Woman" at the Kennedy Center for Carole King) where Diana seemed to find something she seemed to have lost in recent years, but I hope we get to see it again.

Ultimately Motown 60 is a Grammy production. Had it been produced by someone else we might have gotten a better overall program. But this anniversary left much to be desired. The sad thing is that I find it doubtful we'll get anything special for Motown 70.

bradsupremes
04-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Just curious. Was Frank Wilson mentioned last night?

He was among those remembered in the tribute by Stevie for those Motown artists/songwriters/producers/musicians who we lost. To me, that was a very wonderful move on the Grammys part to include this. There were some individuals missing [[Jimmy Ruffin, Gladys Horton, Deke Richards, etc.), but otherwise it was a beautifully done tribute and a highlight for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this special, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It certainly could have been much better, but I actually think they did a fairly good job with it.

marv2
04-22-2019, 10:19 AM
He was among those remembered in the tribute by Stevie for those Motown artists/songwriters/producers/musicians who we lost. To me, that was a very wonderful move on the Grammys part to include this. There were some individuals missing [[Jimmy Ruffin, Gladys Horton, Deke Richards, etc.), but otherwise it was a beautifully done tribute and a highlight for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this special, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It certainly could have been much better, but I actually think they did a fairly good job with it.

Thanks Brad. I saw the tribute but must have missed his picture.

luke
04-22-2019, 10:24 AM
I heard no mention of the Velvelettes though Mary mentioned them in recent interview with Duke and Claudette.

marv2
04-22-2019, 10:42 AM
I heard no mention of the Velvelettes though Mary mentioned them in recent interview with Duke and Claudette.

They, along with the Elgins, Contours, Spinners, Andantes, Frances Nero, Barbara McNair, Carolyn Crawford, Rare Earth, Meatloaf, Frankie Valli/4 Seasons among others were not mentioned.

marv2
04-22-2019, 10:50 AM
We are not the only ones wondering why some were left out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5CtX9_lIU

Roberta75
04-22-2019, 10:59 AM
They, along with the Elgins, Contours, Spinners, Andantes, Frances Nero, Barbara McNair, Carolyn Crawford, Rare Earth, Meatloaf, Frankie Valli/4 Seasons among others were not mentioned.

The Special was 2 hours long not 22 hours.

StuBass1
04-22-2019, 11:17 AM
I had no great anticipation to watch this show [[as these shows are usually formula operations), but found myself at home and nothing else of importance to do, so I watched... Some good and some not so good. I think RanRan hit the nail on the head implicating that the show [[being a Neil Portnow Grammy production) that it focused, as it's involvement with the Grammys and as Berry Gordy and Smokey likely preferred...more on the Los Angeles/Hollywood aspect of Motown, while trying to give some tribute to the Detroit era...but was not a true historical and biographical production, and 2 hours would not have allowed them to do that type of thing justice...more a Ken Burns type series would be necessary to do that. They did mention the museum, but it was not a commercial for the current expansion project, more focused on the actual musical material they chose for the program. I too questioned the strange mix of Motown veteran stars and more current non-Motown performers [[obviously an attempt to draw in viewers not as Motown entrenched as many on this forum would be for example). I actually DID understand J-Lo on the Grammy tribute, but just rehashing that same performance for this show was an unexplainable fill and pad that should have been replaced..and they could have used more Motown era performers for this show that was specifically supposed to be a Motown tribute. John Legends Marvin tribute was a good fit...It was a bit disjointed as to what Motown veterans were featured and those who were not, and certain things were a bit uncomfortable, like asking the "Motown Family Members" to stand up...very amateurish and a bit cringeworthy... and how they mixed in some of segments didn't flow very well... They could have had more classic Motown material featured in the show IMO...but once again, I think they made a conscious decision to gear it toward the more recent California era, while giving some brief historical glimpses...but how they chose what they did and didn't is still a mystery to me. I did like Smokey accompanied by Paul Jackson Jr, and Diana Ross was obviously the highlight of the show...I'm sure that's the way NARAS wanted it as she has garnered several Grammy nominations as a solo performer, particularly as relates to her film songs...Diana and Berry fawning over each other seems to be the formula for ANY Motown production these days..so that was to be expected. She did sound good, but once again...nothing from the Supremes in her performance, and that's what launched her into the stratosphere...Stevies split appearance seemed a bit out of sync for me however...not his best...Not much Tempts or Tops either. As has already been pointed out...everybody has their own favorite Motown artist, group, or songs...and to satisfy would have taken All Night Long..so while they did that particular song...they did not have All Night Long to present the show... One thing I did notice as an observer to the Los Angeles music scene as relates to studio musicians...many members of the house band were a different lot than performed in previous Motown specials, in that a changing of the musical guard seems to occur and Rickey Minor obviously used his generation of L.A. based musicians, which are different than those who would have performed on previous such specials and I noticed the absence of some of the traditional musical stalwarts...Time marches on...Final analysis...a good, not great tribute special with a lot left out and some stuff put in that perhaps would have been better left out...

lakeside
04-22-2019, 11:58 AM
It felt like 22 hours!

Roberta75
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
it felt like 22 hours!

lololololol

milven
04-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Just read somewhere that the Motown documentary that was supposed to on Showtime this month, was postponed til this fall. Hopefully, that will give aficionados of Classic Motown a more satisfying fix.

woodward
04-22-2019, 12:35 PM
We are not the only ones wondering why some were left out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5CtX9_lIU

Unless I am confused, I recall seeing Marv's picture in the group that have passed away. At least he was recognized in that fashion. He was not ignored as he was in the Motown 25 at which time nothing was shown or mentioned about him at all. Am I confused?

PeaceNHarmony
04-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Just read somewhere that the Motown documentary that was supposed to on Showtime this month, was postponed til this fall. Hopefully, that will give aficionados of Classic Motown a more satisfying fix.Unless it's the 22-hour version that's been bandied about [[lol!) 'the usual suspects' will never be happy with any Motown programming because most likely the most popular and successful performers will be granted more airtime than those lesser known.

sansradio
04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
I wasn't as underwhelmed as many were, though I fully expected to be. Diana serenading Berry was a highlight; she was in fantastic form that evening. And Thelma absolutely SLEW.

I, too, was upset seeing the Motown alums in the audience being given such short shrift; I yelled at the TV when Scherrie Payne got a close-up, but no ID. And did anyone see Bobby Taylor in the "In Memoriam" sequence [[because I didn't)?

Ngroove
04-22-2019, 12:55 PM
How are they going to get the facts on Motown right, when "Motown" itself leaves out most of artists and personnel during these big anniversary shows? Not a mention of the Contours last night even though Joe Billingslea is still performing. The Spinners must have never been on Motown because they did not mention them either!

I have not been able to see the special last night, as my workplace television was not able to pick up the signal for CBS at the time.

But according to most American pop culture history, Motown is: Berry Gordy Jr., Smokey Robinson / the Miracles, Mary Wells, Marvelettes, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, Diana Ross / the Supremes [[as in Diana Ross & the Supremes), Four Tops, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Michael Jackson / Jackson Five.

Any one else, including Funk Brothers, geniunely pleasantly nice to mention.

sansradio
04-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Bill, there was actually a lovely blink-and-you'll-miss-it ad spotlighting the Museum that aired during the special. IIRC, it started with a blue-sky-and-clouds background and the words "Thank You"; the first names of the usual suspects scrolled past next [[Diana, Smokey, David, Eddie, Martha, Michael, Marvin et al.). Duke Fakir himself did the voice-over at the end [["Tell 'em Duke of [The] Four Tops sent you"). It was very heartwarming; if I can find a link, I'll post it.

kenneth
04-22-2019, 01:34 PM
I enjoyed the special but have to say that mine was definitely a mixed reaction, like many. I don't really fault the producers for highlighting younger performers or those who are popular today. Even "Motown 25" did that. But completely overlooking the Tempts and the Tops who are still performing was an unnecessary oversight. If anything, you'd hope Gordy would want to "give back" something to those performers who have worked so hard [[as he has) to perpetuate the Motown legacy.

I looked hard for Gladys Horton in the memoriam sequence and didn't see her. Someone above asked, and I don't believe I saw Bobby Taylor either.

I did see the spot promoting the Motown Museum.

Using old footage of J-Lo and any others also seems like a silly use of old material as filler when they could have included more historical footage or more time spent on honoring the past performers.

I found the Diane tribute to Gordy the highlight, as it was obviously meant to be. She was in good voice. I wish she had sung "My Man" in a more straightforward manner, instead of giggling and more or less apologizing for the lyrics [["He beats me too") because she cheated a great song in a sense by throwing away the lyrics that way. But she looked and sounded fantastic.

But the producers definitely get demerits for not letting us hear Mary Wilson and for eliminating Martha Reeves, Jean Terrell, Scherrie and Susaye, and so many others who you'd think could have been afforded a few minutes of air time.

marv2
04-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Unless I am confused, I recall seeing Marv's picture in the group that have passed away. At least he was recognized in that fashion. He was not ignored as he was in the Motown 25 at which time nothing was shown or mentioned about him at all. Am I confused?

They did show his picture.

marv2
04-22-2019, 02:31 PM
I wasn't as underwhelmed as many were, though I fully expected to be. Diana serenading Berry was a highlight; she was in fantastic form that evening. And Thelma absolutely SLEW.

I, too, was upset seeing the Motown alums in the audience being given such short shrift; I yelled at the TV when Scherrie Payne got a close-up, but no ID. And did anyone see Bobby Taylor in the "In Memoriam" sequence [[because I didn't)?

I did not see Bobby Taylor in the in the In Memoriam segment or any of the Gordys. Miss Ray was a glaring omission in my opinion.

marv2
04-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Was Shorty Long or The Pips, William Guest and Edward Patton in the "In Memoriam" segment?

StuBass1
04-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Was Shorty Long or The Pips, William Guest and Edward Patton in the "In Memoriam" segment?
Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. J-5 in the Motown 25 was the exception...likely because Michael was so hot at the time it was part of the deal to get him to come back to perform [[and turned out to be a wise decision for all involved)...

kenneth
04-22-2019, 03:22 PM

I can't say for sure whether I saw Shorty Long or not, but definitely not Guest or Patton in that segment.

milven
04-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. ...

Gladys and Bubba Knight did return for Motown 45. That's the show where Kelly Rowland performed as a Supreme with Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Gladys was the highlight of the show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388283/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

reese
04-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Gladys and Bubba Knight did return for Motown 45. That's the show where Kelly Rowland performed as a Supreme with Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Gladys was the highlight of the show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388283/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Gladys was also on MOTOWN 30. She did a great rendition of WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.

milven
04-22-2019, 04:23 PM

No, you are not confused. He was part of a group picture

StuBass1
04-22-2019, 04:32 PM
Gladys was also on MOTOWN 30. She did a great rendition of WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.
Didn't remember that, although I recall when they did that show about 15 years ago [[edit...sorry...meant Motown 45)...Gladys has been involved in a few well publicized feuds over the years with some of Berry Gordy's loyal prized performers and allies, including Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Also a little dustup with Aretha Franklin...I figured that may have had something to do with, along with the fact that Gladys DID stray from Motown during the height of her success, that Gladys and Motown are rarely mentioned as associates in the same breath these days...

marv2
04-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Certain artists that abandoned Motown over the years in bitter breakups and never returned [[Gladys & The Pips, 4 Tops, Spinners, Kim Weston, Isleys, etc) have drawn the ire of the company and Berry Gordy in particular and tend to get left out of these tribute shows. J-5 in the Motown 25 was the exception...likely because Michael was so hot at the time it was part of the deal to get him to come back to perform [[and turned out to be a wise decision for all involved)...

Totally disagree especially in regards to The Four Tops, Gladys Knight and the Pips and others. They all have good relationships with Mr. Gordy today. Gladys did participate in the "Motown 30, What's Going On?" anniversary special in 1990.

marv2
04-22-2019, 04:35 PM
I can't say for sure whether I saw Shorty Long or not, but definitely not Guest or Patton in that segment.

I did see Edwin Starr,but no mention of Al Abrams or even Barney Ales who is still alive.

marv2
04-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Didn't remember that, although I recall when they did that show about 15 years ago...Gladys has been involved in a few well publicized feuds over the years with some of Berry Gordy's loyal prized performers and allies, including Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder to name a few. Also a little dustup with Aretha Franklin...I figured that may have had something to do with, along with the fact that Gladys DID stray from Motown during the height of her success, that Gladys and Motown are rarely mentioned as associates in the same breath these days...

Two, maybe three years ago, Stevie invite Gladys Knight to participate in his Grammy Special Songs in the Key of Life.

TheMotownManiac
04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
There were folks that I missed also. Brenda in particular. I feel terrible for Martha however, everyone I know that attended, said Martha was having an off night vocally, and there’s no way that that could be televised as performed. When I saw her in the list in the ads, I assumed that they had touch things up and I was so happy but… I think it’s rotten to use her name and then not have her be in the show.

i I think everyone is directing their disappointments at the wrong people. This is not a Motown documentary. It’s a salute, a celebration of Motown’s 60th anniversary television special…… It was not produced to do anything more than make money. I’m sure the producers don’t give a damn who was on and who wasn’t on, This was not a Motown Production. It was some people in a room who came up with the idea of creating this night to sell to a network and in order to do so, need an a lot of young names to get a network to buy it. CBS would not give you $.10 for Brenda or the velvelettes. Us dinosaurs are the only ones who even know who they are…… And we are not the demographic television is aiming for, and let’s face it, half of the fans of those people are dead, and they didn’t have that many fans to begin with. This was nothing more than a business arrangement built around the brand Motown. It’s sad, but those are the facts. Complain all you want, but the special was a huge success because it drew viewers and won its time slot. Nothing else matters.

Thats show biz!

arr&bee
04-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Wait a minute,there was no mention of the temps or tops???

StuBass1
04-22-2019, 05:46 PM
What I can tell you pretty much for sure and related me to me by victims of the Gordy wrath...If Berry Gordy had an issue with you, he rarely forgot or forgave during his formative years especially... I don't believe Gordy appreciated ANYONE abandoning his company, creating problems or having feuds with his favored artists and a price is there to be paid...It took HDH YEARS to get back into Berry Gordys good graces and his temperament is well known throughout the industry, and he's known to take disrespect quite seriously...

theboyfromxtown
04-22-2019, 06:32 PM

And a huge thank you to Mary from me.

marv2
04-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Wait a minute,there was no mention of the temps or tops???

None that I can remember. They showed split second photos of the deceased members though.

marv2
04-22-2019, 06:58 PM
What I can tell you pretty much for sure and related me to me by victims of the Gordy wrath...If Berry Gordy had an issue with you, he rarely forgot or forgave during his formative years especially... I don't believe Gordy appreciated ANYONE abandoning his company, creating problems or having feuds with his favored artists and a price is there to be paid...It took HDH YEARS to get back into Berry Gordys good graces and his temperament is well known throughout the industry, and he's known to take disrespect quite seriously...

I know how he is. Diana Ross abandoned his company in 1980 and yet he is finally over it at least on the surface.

marv2
04-22-2019, 07:00 PM

They ignored Barrett Strong. Remember the song "Money"?

CoolKatz
04-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Thanks Brad. I saw the tribute but must have missed his picture.

A lot of omissions in the memorial. El Bryant, Gladys and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes, Sandra Tilley, Marlene Barrow, William Guest and Edward Patten of the Pips Bobby Debarge. Imo they should have devoted a little more time to those that have passed. I'm greatful for the ones mentioned but a LOT were left out

marv2
04-22-2019, 07:50 PM
A lot of omissions in the memorial. El Bryant, Gladys and Georgeanna of the Marvelettes, Sandra Tilley, Marlene Barrow, William Guest and Edward Patten of the Pips Bobby Debarge. Imo they should have devoted a little more time to those that have passed. I'm greatful for the ones mentioned but a LOT were left out

I agree. I was disappointed that they did not include Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards.

copley
04-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Did the Velvelettes get a mention?

Don't be silly John :[[

PeaceNHarmony
04-22-2019, 08:03 PM
I'm shockedxxx no, STUNNED, that the program progressed with absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of Irene 'Granny' Ryan and yet had the utter temerity to feature that Ross woman, who we ALL know will never succeed as a solo act when she leaves The Supremes.

StuBass1
04-22-2019, 08:10 PM
They ignored Barrett Strong. Remember the song "Money"?
While Money was indeed a very significant song in Motowns early days, my dear friend and co-writer Janie Bradford was in the audience sitting with her friend Claudette Robinson. That said...there were literally thousands and thousands of songs cut at Motown through the years and obviously, everybody has their favorites or those songs they find to be memorable or significant to them... Just not time in this type of telecast to mention everyones favorite song or pay tribute to everyones favorite artist...Just cant happen, although I did find the tributes they did to be a bit disjointed and didn't flow smoothly in the overall production...Just my opinion...

vgalindo
04-22-2019, 09:13 PM
I'm shockedxxx no, STUNNED, that the program progressed with absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of Irene 'Granny' Ryan and yet had the utter temerity to feature that Ross woman, who we ALL know will never succeed as a solo act when she leaves The Supremes.
Oh my god they didn’t mention Irene!! Too Funny. 😂

jobeterob
04-22-2019, 09:15 PM
The camera went to Janie and Claudette a number of times; and we did get a short of Scherrie and Mary. And Scherrie was on Facebook saying what a great time was had. And I believe all the deceased Miracles were shown when Stevie sang.

Ngroove
04-22-2019, 11:43 PM
I know how he is. Diana Ross abandoned his company in 1980 and yet he is finally over it at least on the surface.

Diana came back 1989; did "Workin' Overtime", "If We Hold On Together", "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", "Take Me Higher"; left, at least in recording new albums for the company, in 2000-ish.

marv2
04-23-2019, 12:04 AM
Diana came back 1989; did "Workin' Overtime", "If We Hold On Together", "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", "Take Me Higher"; left, at least in recording new albums for the company, in 2000-ish.

Yeah, but it was no longer Berry Gordy's company by then.

jobeterob
04-23-2019, 01:50 AM
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/videos/diana-ross-performs-moving-medley-dedicated-berry-gordy-motown-60-grammy-celebration

lucky2012
04-23-2019, 09:28 AM
OMG! I don't watch much television. So thank you for posting. I watched all the clips and so wished I hadn't missed this. Diana Ross absolutely nailed her tribute to Berry Gordy. I had tears in my eyes. So much love for Berry Gordy and Motown.

captainjames
04-23-2019, 10:00 AM
WOW !!!! awesome tribute

PeaceNHarmony
04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Oh my god they didn’t mention Irene!! Too Funny. 
Always happy to see someone appreciating my sense of humor! Of course we all wish that every Motown performer-instrumentalist-producer etc could be featured but, as Ms. Roberta said, the show was 2 hours, not 22! Best to you -

vgalindo
04-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Always happy to see someone appreciating my sense of humor! Of course we all wish that every Motown performer-instrumentalist-producer etc could be featured but, as Ms. Roberta said, the show was 2 hours, not 22! Best to you -
I totally agree! Some people only focus on who wasn’t there instead of treasuring who was there. It was great seeing Smokey, Stevie, and especially the Queen of Motown Diana Ross. Best to you too!

jobeterob
04-23-2019, 12:58 PM
And Mickey HDH Valerie Smokey

Ngroove
04-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but it was no longer Berry Gordy's company by then.

Still had Temptations, Diana Ross, and Stevie Wonder regularly recording new albums, along with then fresh top ten life in Boyz II Men and Johnny Gill to continue the brand running in the name of being "The Sound of Young America".

jobeterob
04-23-2019, 01:53 PM
And Mickey HDH Valerie Smokey

And Lionel was doing American Idol so he couldn’t participate

144man
04-23-2019, 02:42 PM

All the more reason to be more selective.

jobeterob
04-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Yes we wouldn’t even get a minimum budget PBS special without name artists; maybe on local stations though; but we did get the writer segment which was very nice

marv2
04-24-2019, 05:35 PM
And Lionel was doing American Idol so he couldn’t participate

American Idol is being cancelled and that is not why Lionel Richie dropped out at the last minute for the Motown 60 show. He knew his schedule when he originally agreed to do the Motown show. He dropped out because of something else. It will come out eventually........

marv2
04-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Yes we wouldn’t even get a minimum budget PBS special without name artists; maybe on local stations though; but we did get the writer segment which was very nice

That show sucked. I don't know what you are talking about. They did the writer segment for Motown 25. Motown 60 couldn't come up with something more creative, which is why they also used the "DJ segment" with Cedric the Entertainer just like "Motown 25" had Howard Hessman play a DJ! What was that audience sing a song crap all about? LOL!

vgalindo
04-24-2019, 06:15 PM
That show sucked. I don't know what you are talking about. They did the writer segment for Motown 25. Motown 60 couldn't come up with something more creative, which is why they also used the "DJ segment" with Cedric the Entertainer just like "Motown 25" had Howard Hessman play a DJ! What was that audience sing a song crap all about? LOL!
Marv stop crying about Motown 60. I really enjoyed it. I am sorry Mary Wilson didn’t get to perform. But she just isn’t well known enough for the general public. They know who’s names will bring in the ratings and they were right!!!

TomatoTom123
04-24-2019, 08:24 PM
I'd like to watch this, but not sure how to, being in the UK. :[[

thanxal
04-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Brexit yourself to the US.
Edit: lol.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Tom, sooner or later, it'll surely show up on YouTube. You'll just need to be patient.

TomatoTom123
04-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Brexit yourself to the US.
Edit: lol.

I could do, but I'll have to hold a referendum in my brain to make a decision on that one thanx.

franjoy56
04-24-2019, 10:52 PM
Yeah they had the nerve to re-air that ghastly JLO Motown segment, but ignored about 85% of the "Motown Family". I noticed that there was NO reaction when Michael Jackson's photo was shown. I was surprised they showed one of Florence because they never mention her in any of these "specials".
Marv mary mentioned flo in a cut segment when she and cindy took t stage on motown 25

marv2
04-24-2019, 10:54 PM
Marv mary mentioned flo in a cut segment when she and cindy took t stage on motown 25

I remember reading about that. Suzanne DePasse had it cut out for some reason.

detmotownguy
04-25-2019, 12:04 AM
I remember reading about that. Suzanne DePasse had it cut out for some reason.
Surprise Surprise lol!

TomatoTom123
04-25-2019, 05:00 AM
Tom, sooner or later, it'll surely show up on YouTube. You'll just need to be patient.

Hopefully Gary. :)

thanxal
04-25-2019, 07:10 AM
I could do, but I'll have to hold a referendum in my brain to make a decision on that one thanx.
Would your brain's prime minister be able to follow through, though?

jobeterob
04-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Berry and Diana can help you out!

RanRan79
04-25-2019, 10:37 AM
Y'all would argue about 2+2=4 if the opportunity presented itself. Good grief.

jobeterob
04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Y'all would argue about 2+2=4 if the opportunity presented itself. Good grief.

I read on Facebook that our Forum is known for driving things into the ground and rehashing things again and again

Motown 60 was a huge success; the best since Motown 25 in terms of success

As usual, we wish some of the lesser known people could have been highlighted more - but the choices that were made are understandable

thanxal
04-25-2019, 05:07 PM
I read on Facebook that our Forum is known for driving things into the ground and rehashing things again and again

Shocked! I’m shocked, I tell you.

jobeterob
04-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Shocked! I’m shocked, I tell you.

The favourite rehash topic is why the 70s Supremes failed.

RanRan79
04-25-2019, 07:08 PM

I can believe that and a couple of other popular rehash topics, which isn't really a bad thing, but people take it all so damn serious.

edafan
04-25-2019, 07:54 PM
To me Motown 25 with the Tempts vs 4 Tops and Michael Jackson were great.

The others after that were not as good as M 25

edafan

thanxal
04-25-2019, 08:10 PM
I take your point and counter you with “Are the Andantes on <insert song title here>”.

jobeterob
04-26-2019, 02:04 AM
I take your point and counter you with “Are the Andantes on <insert song title here>”.

Yours is better than mine!

That’s a fun topic because you can always count on one person to swear there are no Andantes, no matter what the song and always go for the less successful unless they are the Andantes

Fourtopsbiggestfan
04-26-2019, 03:36 AM

Motown 60 was a huge success; the best since Motown 25 in terms of success

As usual, we wish some of the lesser known people could have been highlighted more - but the choices that were made are understandable

The choices were completely not understandable. These companies are just plain idiots. Bad people. This is a permanent stain on music.

thanxal
04-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Yours is better than mine!

That’s a fun topic because you can always count on one person to swear there are no Andantes, no matter what the song and always go for the less successful unless they are the Andantes

Write "Return to Love" anywhere in any thread. I dare you.

jobeterob
04-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Or Lynda Laurence. Or now.........Motown 60

Roberta75
04-27-2019, 09:53 AM
I watched the Motown 60 show last night with my nephew and his husband and we all really loved it. Highlights was Ciara as Rick James and Ne-Yo as hes real talented and Thelma Houston who tore the room down and Stevie and Smokey and John Legend who did a real nice tribute to Marvin and Diana Ross who looked so gorgeous and in such great voice. It was a real good special imo.

jobeterob
04-27-2019, 02:05 PM
I watched the Motown 60 show last night with my nephew and his husband and we all really loved it. Highlights was Ciara as Rick James and Ne-Yo as hes real talented and Thelma Houston who tore the room down and Stevie and Smokey and John Legend who did a real nice tribute to Marvin and Diana Ross who looked so gorgeous and in such great voice. It was a real good special imo.

Lesson should be learned from Roberta - who's Motown hero is Martha Reeves - who for whatever reason isn't on the show that aired.

And yet Roberta thought it was a wonderful celebration.

vgalindo
04-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Lesson should be learned from Roberta - who's Motown hero is Martha Reeves - who for whatever reason isn't on the show that aired.

And yet Roberta thought it was a wonderful celebration.
I agree 💯. Roberta shows a lot of class. Thank you Roberta. I love Martha Reeves too and would loved to have seen her performance but I still highly enjoyed the special.

jobeterob
04-27-2019, 05:37 PM
More class!

Roberta75
04-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Thank you. I did miss Martha Reeves on the Motown Special but got a real nice glimpse of her right behind Mr Gordy.

jobeterob
04-28-2019, 01:45 AM
Thank you. I did miss Martha Reeves on the Motown Special but got a real nice glimpse of her right behind Mr Gordy.

In a royal spot!

kenneth
04-28-2019, 05:05 PM
To me Motown 25 with the Tempts vs 4 Tops and Michael Jackson were great.

The others after that were not as good as M 25

edafan

I think almost anyone would concur with that.

vgalindo
04-28-2019, 11:44 PM
I think almost anyone would concur with that.
I agree. But so many have passed away since then. There’s no way any others would be as good as Motown 25

jobeterob
04-29-2019, 01:00 AM
In terms of success, it looks like Motown 60 has been the most successful since Motown 25 - mainly due to Diana Stevie and Smokey

marv2
04-29-2019, 06:32 PM
Motown Legends!!!!

TheMotownManiac
04-29-2019, 09:05 PM
I agree. But so many have passed away since then. There’s no way any others would be as good as Motown 25
Both Marvin and MJ - My two faves from 25, are now gone, yet I still enjoyed the show as a whole. I know there are folks who want more historical content, and this would be a disappointment to them, but for the casual fan, it was gold. My main issue was not using Martha in some fashion, otherwise, I think they did a great job. Ratings like this will ensure some type of follow-up , which would be cool.

jack020
04-30-2019, 01:51 AM
I finally got to see it last night after I found a download of it: I enjoyed it a lot.
But I noticed no mention of Boyz II Men who were the biggest earners for Motown in the 90's or did I miss something?

jobeterob
04-30-2019, 01:59 AM
I finally got to see it last night after I found a download of it: I enjoyed it a lot.
But I noticed no mention of Boyz II Men who were the biggest earners for Motown in the 90's or did I miss something?

I don’t think I saw them either

You had to watch very closely at a few points or you could miss someone - like the in memoriam segment

vgalindo
04-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Both Marvin and MJ - My two faves from 25, are now gone, yet I still enjoyed the show as a whole. I know there are folks who want more historical content, and this would be a disappointment to them, but for the casual fan, it was gold. My main issue was not using Martha in some fashion, otherwise, I think they did a great job. Ratings like this will ensure some type of follow-up , which would be cool.
Yes I enjoyed it too. It was great seeing Smokey, Stevie, and Diana.

jobeterob
04-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Lionel was doing American Idol; what happened to Boyz?

Circa 1824
04-30-2019, 09:53 PM
Good Lord, Miss Ross, you still got it. I had tears in my eyes watching you shine on Motown 60. It was the kind of great performance you did years and years ago. Bravo !!

jobeterob
05-01-2019, 06:10 AM
One of her best moments; one of Berry’s best moments

TomatoTom123
05-01-2019, 07:49 PM
This is why I want to watch it!! :rolleyes:

jack020
05-02-2019, 01:45 AM
Hey Tom, send me a PM with your e-mail.
I downloaded it and might be able to send it to you.

lakedistrictlad1
05-02-2019, 02:38 AM
This performance by Diana would make the perfect bookend to her career if she chose to stop now. It was absolute perfection. Her voice, her performance and most of all the interplay with Mr Gordy. It was so incredibly moving.

jobeterob
05-02-2019, 10:29 AM
This performance by Diana would make the perfect bookend to her career if she chose to stop now. It was absolute perfection. Her voice, her performance and most of all the interplay with Mr Gordy. It was so incredibly moving.

Very true.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Good Lord, Miss Ross, you still got it. I had tears in my eyes watching you shine on Motown 60. It was the kind of great performance you did years and years ago. Bravo !!

Circa, you're so right! It's not at all surprising that so many of us were choked up and moved to tears by this perfect and emotional performance. It would indeed make a perfect bookend to Diana's amazing career if she were to end it -- but let's not even THINK of such a thing. Diana's on much too hot a roll to stop now!

jobeterob
05-02-2019, 01:25 PM
I can't recall where I read this; but someone said when they realized the last song was going to be My Man, they said to themselves "oh no, that's a hard song" and she's not young anymore - but it was the perfect choice and worked perfectly.

jobeterob
05-04-2019, 09:27 PM
https://youtu.be/01Pdyt4q0v4

About Jennifer Lopez

Interviews with Valerie Simpson Mickey Stevenson and HDH

nativeNY63
06-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Circa, you're so right! It's not at all surprising that so many of us were choked up and moved to tears by this perfect and emotional performance. It would indeed make a perfect bookend to Diana's amazing career if she were to end it -- but let's not even THINK of such a thing. Diana's on much too hot a roll to stop now!

Ala the 1st. Central Park concert!!! In a torrential downpour no less!!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
06-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Ala the 1st. Central Park concert!!! In a torrential downpour no less!!!!
Yeah, native! You bet!!!