PDA

View Full Version : Jr. Walker & the All Stars Motown 70's output

test

luckyluckyme
03-19-2019, 01:28 PM
3 Cd Box Set [[1970's Motown Studio Albums) coming late May from Cherry Red Records [[U.K.)

mysterysinger
03-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Sounds promising. BBR Records and Soul Music Records come under Cherry Red I believe

BayouMotownMan
03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Great News, his 70s lps were great, especially Moody Junior and Hot Shot

BayouMotownMan
03-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Is there a writeup somewhere on this set?

luckyluckyme
03-19-2019, 03:37 PM
As far as I know, not yet. It's likely forthcoming as at the Cherry Red website
there is an inactive Jr. Walker & the All Stars arists side tab.

BayouMotownMan
03-19-2019, 03:39 PM
How did you hear about this?

luckyluckyme
03-19-2019, 03:41 PM
Motown Treasures [[Yahoo Group)

motown01
03-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Finally!! Can't wait!

lakedistrictlad1
03-20-2019, 08:57 AM
At long.............................................. ......................long last!

I've been waiting for DECADES for these albums to issued on CD.

blkfrost
03-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Indeed, great news!

snakepit
03-20-2019, 12:02 PM
£17.99 according to soul music records site

luckyluckyme
03-20-2019, 03:00 PM
And here is the cover:

snakepit
03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Great package... Let's hope SMR do a similar project on The Originals albums.

blkfrost
03-20-2019, 04:09 PM
Wonder if "Sax Appeal" and "Smooth" will be included. Do no see them on the proposed cover. These were recorded during the '70s. I know they were consider solo albums listed under Jr. Walker, but it would be nice if they were included.

luckyluckyme
03-20-2019, 04:33 PM
This is a 3 CD set incorporating the 6 albums pictured. Let's hope that it does well in sales. Perhaps the remaining 3 Jr. Walker Soul albums will then see release.

snakepit
03-20-2019, 04:41 PM
These " multi pack" sets work well..I've got a similar set on The Jackson 5...I wouldn't have.bought individual CDs but as a multipack...ideal.

mysterysinger
03-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Looks like 3 x 2fers then. The packaging looks great and so is the price. Well happy with this.

Also it means a complete run of JW&AS studio albums will have been available on CD bearing in mind the 2fers from the early 2000s - "Shotgun" & "Soul Session" and "Road Runner" and "Home Cookin" plus the even earlier CD release of the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" album [[also known as "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" and "These Eyes").

The "Live" albums will be one missing - the CD release contained the tracks from the second Live album but has the cover artwork from the first one which is the missing one now.

As well as the missing live album there are also the 4 Junior Walker Motown albums not yet on CD [[so another good project for later) - these being "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth" and "Blow The House Down".

alanh
03-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Great news......and about time these were on CD. Thanks luckyluckyme.

lakedistrictlad1
03-21-2019, 03:43 AM
I'm intrigued to know the story behind the 1974 album. From what I can find online this was never issued in the U.S.
Does anyone know how and why this was a European only release?

alanh
03-21-2019, 05:44 AM
For anyone thinking of buying this and preordering, let's all place our orders directly through the Cherry Red website to show them there is demand and interest, and hopefully encourage them and SoulMusic to release more of these 'lesser obvious' titles. You never know maybe we can convince David Nathan to release that elusive San Remo Strings compilation we'd all like too!

nathanj06
03-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Now there's something that's long overdue. Love the title and the song, Walk In The Night. I thought he kept getting better and better, well until Motown left the building. I always thought Jr. Walker never got the recognition he so deserved but this is a start. That man could play a mean sax that's for sure. Does anyone have any info on I'll Go Where The Music Takes Me? I just discovered that a couple years ago and wondered if it was ever digital.Thanks.

kenneth
03-21-2019, 02:55 PM
What great news! Finally! So glad some other labels are getting into the Motown catalog. Their Brenda Holloway set must have done very well. Hope we get additional volumes for Walker as well as the Originals, also long overdue as nathanj06 said!

TomatoTom123
03-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Yes!!! Looks awesome!!!! :)

Philles/Motown Gary
03-22-2019, 10:32 PM
Finally! Jr.'s next 6 albums on CD! This is really great news! In addition to the remaining "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth", and "Blow The House Down", don't forget Jr.'s "Hot Shot" -- the HDH-produced Motown album from 1976.

And, yes, we need to see the same CD care given to the remaining albums by The Originals -- "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Game Called Love", "Communique", and "Down To Love Town".

gordy_hunk
03-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Thanks for letting everyone know about this forthcoming release. Cherry Red release some superb packages, and this is yet another one. I've pre-ordered mine - I've always thought Jr Walker's post 1970 releases to be far more enjoyable than his earlier work, so obtaining these in one release is excellent.

This will go along with the Undisputed Truth's releases as excellent value for money.

I'll echo the suggestion that the Originals releases will be welcomed if given a similar treatment, and also I'd like to see Jermaine Jackson's output like this.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-23-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks for letting everyone know about this forthcoming release. Cherry Red release some superb packages, and this is yet another one. I've pre-ordered mine - I've always thought Jr Walker's post 1970 releases to be far more enjoyable than his earlier work, so obtaining these in one release is excellent.

This will go along with the Undisputed Truth's releases as excellent value for money.

I'll echo the suggestion that the Originals releases will be welcomed if given a similar treatment, and also I'd like to see Jermaine Jackson's output like this.

And I'll echo the request for some Jermaine Jackson CD reissues. For whatever reason, with the exception of "Jermaine" and "Let's Get Serious", his albums have been strangely ignored by Motown.

TomatoTom123
03-23-2019, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I would love to see The Originals and Jermaine get a similar treatment! And, I'd love to see Junior's remaining albums on CD too [[the "solo" ones). :)

jboy88
03-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to hearing the album he did with Stevie Wonder, which wasn’t released in the United States. IIRC, it was the final album produced at Hitsville!

masterblaster
03-24-2019, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;508024]Finally! Jr.'s next 6 albums on CD! This is really great news! In addition to the remaining "Sax Appeal", "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Smooth", and "Blow The House Down", don't forget Jr.'s "Hot Shot" -- the HDH-produced Motown album from 1976./QUOTE]

Looks like "Hot Shot" is includes in this six album release.

mowsville
03-24-2019, 12:46 PM
I so happy this is being released..ive waited a very long time.

Philles/Motown Gary
03-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Hey, I do believe you're right, masterblaster! The print is so tiny in the ad, I couldn't read it. And it's been so long [[32 years) since I owned the LP, I had forgotten what the cover looked like. This makes the new Jr. Walker set all the more exciting to look forward to. Thanks for pointing it out!

luckyluckyme
03-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Hey, I do believe you're right, masterblaster! The print is so tiny in the ad, I couldn't read it. And it's been so long [[32 years) since I owned the LP, I had forgotten what the cover looked like. This makes the new Jr. Walker set all the more exciting to look forward to. Thanks for pointing it out!

This may help:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/jr-walker-the-all-stars-walk-in-the-night-the-motown-70s-studio-albums-3cd-boxset/?fbclid=IwAR2FlBUyne6HM5MzaXn7f8eRmbHudTA6m8edLdL1 uv-wTnAB-LQi-mDKBsc

TomatoTom123
03-24-2019, 09:06 PM
Thanks lucky! I am definitely looking forward to this one.

TomatoTom123
03-24-2019, 09:15 PM
I didn't know 1969's Gotta Hold Onto This Feeling had been released on CD! I can only find one copy on Amazon for $100. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Hold-Feeling-Walker-Stars/dp/B000008M33

Sorry to be cheeky, does anyone have the CD and could anyone send me the tracks "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back" from it? Thanks :D

Philles/Motown Gary
03-24-2019, 09:27 PM
This may help:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/jr-walker-the-all-stars-walk-in-the-night-the-motown-70s-studio-albums-3cd-boxset/?fbclid=IwAR2FlBUyne6HM5MzaXn7f8eRmbHudTA6m8edLdL1 uv-wTnAB-LQi-mDKBsc
Hey, thanks very much, lucky. Complete with track lists, too, with print font that is actually legible for these old eyes of mine!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
I didn't know 1969's Gotta Hold Onto This Feeling had been released on CD! I can only find one copy on Amazon for $100. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Hold-Feeling-Walker-Stars/dp/B000008M33

Sorry to be cheeky, does anyone have the CD and could anyone send me the tracks "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back" from it? Thanks :D

Tom, the price gougers are always out in full force for rare CD titles like these [[the bastards)! Personal Message me via Soulful Detroit.

TomatoTom123
03-24-2019, 09:40 PM
I know right Gary! I shall do, thank you!! :)

masterblaster
03-25-2019, 06:07 AM
Looks like 3 x 2fers then. The packaging looks great and so is the price. Well happy with this.

Also it means a complete run of JW&AS studio albums will have been available on CD bearing in mind the 2fers from the early 2000s - "Shotgun" & "Soul Session" and "Road Runner" and "Home Cookin" plus the even earlier CD release of the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" album [[also known as "What Does It Take To Win Your Love" and "These Eyes".

Wish "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" was including in this new release as it is no longer available on CD any more. I have the other 2fers released so this will be missing from my collection of studio albums on CD.

marv2
03-25-2019, 01:11 PM
And here is the cover:

I notice that they chose my favorite 70s recording by Jr Walker and the All-Stars as part of the title, "Walk In the Night"!

Philles/Motown Gary
03-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Yeah, Marv, Jr. Walker's "Walk In The Night" is one of his best. In fact, his entire "Moody Jr." LP is one of my all-time favorite Motown albums. It's been a mighty long time, but we're FINALLY getting it on CD. As the J5 would say, Hallelujah Day!

mysterysinger
03-25-2019, 04:36 PM
As regards the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" CD, most of the tracks are readily available elsewhere. As Tom discovered above, the three "rarer" tracks are "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back". "Proud Mary" is on the Motown Legends CD and the other 2 available [[but in mono only) on The Complete Motown Singles. 15315

TomatoTom123
03-25-2019, 09:34 PM
I downloaded "Proud Mary" [[from the Motown Legends album) from a mp3 website a while back. Quite annoyingly, the mp3 I downloaded for some reason had its intro cut. The same for the other tracks I downloaded, I think "Ball Baby" and "Sexpot". Hopefully all of Junior's albums are one day remastered and released on compilations as awesome as this one looks! :cool:

jack020
03-26-2019, 03:20 AM
http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=108888&sid=e6343d9146bb10711020d8fd1fd7a34a
Description
Junior Walker [[born Autry DeWalt Mixon, Jr. in 1931 in Blytheville, Arkansas) was one of the most consistent Motown chartmakers and undeniably the global brand’s most successful instrumentalist from 1964 to 1978, racking up 25 US charted singles and 14 US charted albums. With his distinctive, rousing sax style and immediately identifiable vocals, Jr. Walker [[with The All Stars – guitarist Willie Woods, keyboardist Vic Thomas and drummer James Graves) had the kind of raw’n’funky sound that captivated audiences worldwide.

Junior’s early success on Motown’s Soul imprint in the ‘60s with ‘Shotgun’, ‘[[I’m A) Road Runner’, and a reworking of Marvin Gaye’s ‘How Sweet It Is’, established the dynamic sax man and his band as reliable groove makers. The 1969 release of the now-classic ‘What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love)’ proved to be a game-changer for Junior, setting the stage for a new decade of recordings that clearly showcased his innovative ability to add his own musical stamp to a diversity of pop, rock, jazz and R&B material.

This superb box set spanning the years 1970-1976 features five original Motown albums and one album [[1974’s “Jr. Walker & The All Stars”) which has only ever been released in its entirety in UK and Europe, all six making their debut on CD worldwide with this 2019 SoulMusic Records’ release.

Disc One comprises 1970’s “A Gasssss” and 1971’s “Rainbow Funk,” both produced by Johnny Bristol; the [[20) tracks include ‘Do You See My Love [[For You Growing)’, ‘Carry Your Own Load’ and ‘Take Me Girl, I’m Ready’ [[one of Jr. Walker’s three UK hits of the ‘70s).

Disc Two [[with the charted hits ‘Way Back Home’, ‘Groove Thang’, ‘Walk In The Night’ and ‘Gimme That Beat’) features 1972’s Johnny Bristol-produced “Moody Jr.,” and the 1973 set, “Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find” which marked a change in creative direction with production by Motown stalwarts Hal Davis, Willie Hutch, Gloria Jones & Pam Sawyer and Junior himself.

Disc Three consists of 1974’s jazz-flavoured “Jr. Walker & The All Stars,” primarily produced by Clarence Paul [[who worked consistently in the ‘60s with Stevie Wonder, who guests on two tracks, ‘You Are The Sunshine Of My Life’ and ‘All In Love Is Fair’); and the 1976 Brian Holland & Lawrence Horn-produced “Hot Shot,” [[which includes ‘I Need You Right Now’ featuring Thelma Houston).

Released in 2019 [[Motown’s 60th anniversary), this stellar reissue [[produced by SoulMusic’s David Nathan) featuring the ‘70s studio recordings by R&B Foundation Pioneer Awardee and Soul Music Hall of Fame inductee Junior Walker [[who passed away in 1995) and his All Stars includes informative liner notes by renowned Motown expert and author Sharon Davis, first class mastering by Nick Robbins [[with digital transfers directly from Universal Music Group) and stellar artwork from Roger Williams.

Tracklist
[CD1: A Gasssss / Rainbow Funk]
A Gasssss:
1. Do You See My Love [[For You Growing)
2. And When I Die
3. I Was Made To Love Her
4. Carry Your Own Load
5. Shut Up, Don’t Interrupt Me
6. Groove And Move
7. Holly Holy
8. Honey Come Back
9. Riding High On Love
10. Hey Jude
11. At A Saturday Matinee
Rainbow Funk:
12. Way Back Home [[Instrumental)
13. Take Me Girl, I’m Ready
14. Feeling Alright
15. Right On Brothers And Sisters
16. Teach Them To Pray
17. Something
18. Psychedelic Shack
19. Pieces Of A Man
20. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

[CD2: Moody Jr. / Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find]
Moody Jr.:
1. Way Back Home [[Vocal)
2. I Don’t Want To Do Wrong
3. Bristol’s Way
4. Don’t Blame The Children
5. Me And My Family
6. Groove Thang
7. Still Water Medley
8. Never Can Say Goodbye
9. Walk In The Night
10. Moody Junior
Peace & Understanding Is Hard To Find:
11. I Ain’t Going Nowhere
12. I Don’t Need No Reason
13. It’s Alright, Do What You Gotta Do
14. It’s Too Late
15. Soul Clappin’
16. I Can See Clearly Now
17. Gimme That Beat [[Part 1)
18. Gimme That Beat [[Part 2)
19. Country Boy
20. Peace And Understanding [[Is Hard To Find)

[CD3: Jr. Walker & The All Stars / Hot Shot]
Jr. Walker & The All Stars:
1. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
2. All In Love Is Fair
3. Killing Me Softly With This Song
4. My Love
5. Boogie Down
6. I Ain’t That Easy To Lose
7. Dancin’ Like They Do On Soul Train
8. Break Down And Sing
9. Until You Come Back To Me [[That’s What I Gonna Do)
Hot Shot:
10. I’m So Glad
11. Why Can’t We Be Lovers
12. You Ain’t No Ordinary Woman
13. Just Can’t Get Enough
14. Love [[Keep Us Together)
15. I Need You Right Now – Featuring Thelma Houston
16. Probe Your Mind
17. Don’t Lose What You Got [[Trying To Get Back What You Had)
18. Hot Shot

Philles/Motown Gary
03-26-2019, 02:28 PM
That sure was a LOT of typing! Thanks, Jack!

jbpintus
03-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Fantastic release!

And my wish for the next Motown artists to get released is the Originals and Jermaine Jackson.

lakeside
03-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Coming to Dusty Groove about May 22nd.
https://www.dustygroove.com/item/914600?incl_cs=1&no_incl_in=1&sort_order=release_date

jack020
03-27-2019, 03:57 AM
Hey Gary: just copy/paste! :)

masterblaster
03-27-2019, 10:52 AM
As regards the "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" CD, most of the tracks are readily available elsewhere. As Tom discovered above, the three "rarer" tracks are "Proud Mary", "Clinging To The Thought That’s She's Coming Back" and "I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back". "Proud Mary" is on the Motown Legends CD and the other 2 available [[but in mono only) on The Complete Motown Singles. 15315

Thanks for that mysterysinger, I am able to compile the complete album as 7 of the tracks were included in three of the studio albums,' Road Runner', 'Shotgun' and 'Home Cookin' and another three appear on 'The Complete Singles Collection' which just leaves Proud Mary which I need to source from somewhere as I don't have the Motown Ledgends CD.

Boogiedown
03-30-2019, 01:08 AM
bonus track ? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4ZBh65zwA

mysterysinger
03-30-2019, 05:43 PM
"Proud Mary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=i_i5rqpppPg

Philles/Motown Gary
03-30-2019, 06:47 PM
I love Jr.'s version of "Proud Mary". I never cared for the pop/rock version by Creedence Clearwater Revival at all, but, thanks to Johnny Bristol & Jr. Walker, once Motown worked their magic on it, I fell in love with it! Jr.'s hot sax and those ever-magnificent Detroit Symphony strings are sublime, as is Phil Spector's Wall-Of-Sound production of "Proud Mary" on Sonny Charles & The Checkmates. It just goes to show ya how a producer's and arranger's stamp on it can make it or break it!

TomatoTom123
03-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Great version of "Proud Mary", Motowned up a lil bit!

mysterysinger
05-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Posted by David Nathan on Facebook - looks great.....

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Wow! That sure looks beautiful, mysterysinger! I can hardly wait to get my copy!

Roger Polhill
05-04-2019, 07:08 PM
It will be very welcome in my collection. Now for Ivy Jo Hunter!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Yes, Roger -- and Blinky!

TomatoTom123
05-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Looks great!!!!!

blkfrost
05-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Wow! Beautiful packaging. Cannot wait to add it to my collection.

TomatoTom123
05-07-2019, 12:42 PM
If only it were released a few days earlier, so that I could get it in time for my birthday on the 23rd... :D

Philles/Motown Gary
05-07-2019, 01:03 PM
If only it were released a few days earlier, so that I could get it in time for my birthday on the 23rd... :D
In case I forget, early Happy Birthday, Tom!

kenneth
05-07-2019, 05:03 PM
In case I forget, early Happy Birthday, Tom!

I second that emotion!

TomatoTom123
05-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys!! And this set can be a belated birthday present for myself :)

motown01
05-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Dusty Groove has this in stock. Just ordered mine - it shipped today.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-14-2019, 03:17 AM
Tom, I ordered my copy from Dusty Groove last Thursday. It arrived yesterday [[Monday). Plenty of time left to get yours in time for your birthday!

mysterysinger
05-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Not released yet in UK

Philles/Motown Gary
05-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Not released yet in UK

No offense, mysterysinger, but how refreshing! You folks across the pond often get OUR music before WE do! At last -- sweet justice! LOL!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-23-2019, 03:38 AM
I've been listening to the new Jr. Walker "Walk In The Night" CD box set tonight. I've managed to get through discs 1 and 2, and I'm pleased to report that the remastering on this box is top notch all the way. I had forgotten how much I missed Jr. Walker's '70s album output. Musically speaking, all tracks are even better than I remembered, and my all-time favorite Jr. album -- "Moody Jr." -- sounds even better today. I'm really glad I bought this CD set. We've been without the saxman's '70s output on CD for too long. This set is just what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to CD 3 tomorrow. Let's also keep the faith for Jr's "Whopper Bopper Show Stopper", "Sax Appeal", and "Smooth" on one more CD box set to complete Jr's Motown LP output. [[I noticed that the "Walk In The Night" box on Dusty Groove has sold out, which is a very good sign that it's a good seller. Let's hope it keeps up so that SoulMusic Records will find the release of those last 3 titles on CD worthy of the effort.

mysterysinger
05-23-2019, 04:02 AM
So don't we also want "Blow The House Down".? also maybe the missing live album [[perhaps a 2fer of his live albums). With or without these the clamour will then be for something else. SMR releases often command high prices later on so get your Junior's while you can.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Yes, absolutely "Blow The House Down" as well. I was thinking along the lines of his '70s output. But, yes, if it will fit on the 2nd disc, go for it. And, yes, would be nice to have a 2-fer of Jr.'s live sets on one CD as well.

snakepit
05-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Not released yet in UK

Not received mine yet..any UK member got their's?

mysterysinger
05-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Release date is May 24th according to Amazon [[who still have it on sale at £28.40 whereas direct from Cherry Red it's £17.99.

snakepit
05-24-2019, 01:40 AM
Thanks
I ordered from Cherry Red

TomatoTom123
05-24-2019, 04:41 AM
Thanks mystery, I preordered too! :)

gordy_hunk
05-24-2019, 08:27 AM
Not received mine yet..any UK member got their's?

Mine has arrived - I bought direct from Cherry Red.

TomatoTom123
05-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Ah, so if the release date is 24th, it can actually arrive on the 24th! :)

mowsville
05-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Mine arrived today.

mysterysinger
05-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Mine arrived today as well from Cherry Red. Yay.

TomatoTom123
05-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Looks like I should have preordered earlier!!!!! :rolleyes: :)

Bluebrock
05-25-2019, 03:08 AM
I am still not sure if i need this set in my collection. I already have the hip-o-select double cd from way back which includes all the singles. Is there anything essential on this new box set that is not on the hip-o-select set? Your views would be most welcome folks.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-25-2019, 03:36 AM
Bluebrock, if you're referring to Jr.'s "Nothing But Soul" anthology, I have that one as well, but it doesn't begin to make up for the new "Walk In The Night" box set. The first two discs [[representing 4 albums) are consistently exciting. Even if you only bought the set for "Moody Jr." [[which is my overall favorite Jr. Walker album), it would make having the 3-CD set worth having. But I really think you'll like all of the tracks on the first 4 albums. To be honest, I thought the quality was lacking on Jr.'s remaining 6 albums with Motown, starting with the two on CD 3, although even they have their moments. Overall, I highly recommend getting "Walk In The Night" while the gettin' is good, as the price gougers will demand an arm and a leg for any copy that's left over after it's out of print.

snakepit
05-25-2019, 04:23 AM
My copy arrived yrsterday. A nice package with liner notes and photos.
Hope to play it very soon.
Any Originals fans who want a similar CD set, please email the address in the booklet that came with this..they ask for suggesstions so go for it.

TomatoTom123
05-25-2019, 05:46 AM
I am still not sure if i need this set in my collection. I already have the hip-o-select double cd from way back which includes all the singles. Is there anything essential on this new box set that is not on the hip-o-select set? Your views would be most welcome folks.

Oh yeah, this is still definitely worth getting in my opinion Blue :D I have that singles collection which is good, but this one is 6 whole albums remastered [[and all of them are pretty good). And, at £20 [[currently :)), it's not badly priced either.

TomatoTom123
05-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Any Originals fans who want a similar CD set, please email the address in the booklet that came with this..they ask for suggesstions so go for it.

Good idea snake :D

westgrandboulevard
05-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Tom, if you use eBay, I treated myself.

Mine was £19.99 + £1.50 p/p, less 3 x £2.50 Nectar vouchers, and is on its way for £13.99.:)

Philles/Motown Gary
05-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Bluebrock, I forgot to mention that the first 4 albums [[CD's 1 & 2) on "Walk In The Night" are Johnny Bristol productions which, in my opinion, represent Jr.'s best work at Motown. All the more reason to get the box set.

paul_nixon
05-25-2019, 12:13 PM
15793 I guess a few of these can go away now

Bluebrock
05-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Bluebrock, I forgot to mention that the first 4 albums [[CD's 1 & 2) on "Walk In The Night" are Johnny Bristol productions which, in my opinion, represent Jr.'s best work at Motown. All the more reason to get the box set.

Thank you so much! I think you have convinced me. I will probably order it next week. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question.

Bluebrock
05-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah, this is still definitely worth getting in my opinion Blue :D I have that singles collection which is good, but this one is 6 whole albums remastered [[and all of them are pretty good). And, at £20 [[currently :)), it's not badly priced either.
Thank you Tom. I respect your opinion.

Bluebrock
05-25-2019, 12:37 PM

Sadly David has been turned down with regard to the remaining Originals albums. I was discussing it with him only a couple of weeks ago, but there can be no harm in e-mailing them. If they get sufficient interest they could possibly have a change of heart.

McMotown
05-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone for discussing this and ordered mine today.
And I'll be emailing them for the remaining Orginal albums.
All the best to you all :)

Philles/Motown Gary
05-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Thank you so much! I think you have convinced me. I will probably order it next week. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question.

You're very welcome, Blue. My pleasure. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

jaybs
05-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Really impressed! with the box set and booklet, well worth buying direct as well the price cheaper than major online suppliers, mine arrived quickly, disappointed though it is on Spotify it is not available?

snakepit
05-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Sadly David has been turned down with regard to the remaining Originals albums. I was discussing it with him only a couple of weeks ago, but there can be no harm in e-mailing them. If they get sufficient interest they could possibly have a change of heart.

Ok thanks...
No Originals...how about we all email a request for Ivy Jo's album "in this bag".
Contact Cherry Red.

paul_nixon
05-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Ok thanks...
No Originals...how about we all email a request for Ivy Jo's album "in this bag".
Contact Cherry Red.

Already in hand

snakepit
05-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Thanks Paul

Philles/Motown Gary
05-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Bluebrock, I'm afraid I misspoke regarding the first "4" albums being Johnny Bristol productions, as the first "3" albums on the set were produced by Johnny Bristol. Jr.'s 4th album, "Peace And Understanding Is Hard To Find", was produced by various Motown producers. I apologize for the error, but, again, the rest of the set is full of good tracks as well.

TomatoTom123
05-30-2019, 08:53 PM
I have received my copy but have yet to open it! For those who have opened, what do you think of the set!!?

Tidy Island
06-04-2019, 12:26 AM
A very nice surprise! I found out via The Second Disc... https://theseconddisc.com/2019/05/groove-and-move-cherry-red-soulmusic-collect-jr-walker-and-the-all-stars-motown-70s-studio-albums/?fbclid=IwAR2lwqK09greA-hccvu9zUS1shrLDk9uM4r-0kl_jP1A5IpajHpWQLgmoVI

Already ordered from Amazon US.

Sam

Motown LPs in Digital Formats [[https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rqvOSp7YzMNPjAVvpV-DJg30Zjhd7EW4_0zdpM50hVo/edit?usp=sharing)

Bluebrock
06-04-2019, 02:18 AM
Bluebrock, I'm afraid I misspoke regarding the first "4" albums being Johnny Bristol productions, as the first "3" albums on the set were produced by Johnny Bristol. Jr.'s 4th album, "Peace And Understanding Is Hard To Find", was produced by various Motown producers. I apologize for the error, but, again, the rest of the set is full of good tracks as well.
No need to apologize. I have not yet ordered it as i have endured an expensive month, but it is definitely on my list. Thank you again.

Bluebrock
06-04-2019, 02:19 AM
I have received my copy but have yet to open it! For those who have opened, what do you think of the set!!?
Get it opened Tommy Tom Tom!

TomatoTom123
06-04-2019, 08:07 PM
I really need to Blue, it's just sitting there looking all nice and awesome and waiting to be opened!!! :D

Philles/Motown Gary
06-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Hey Tom, did you have a happy birthday back on May 23?

TomatoTom123
06-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Hey Gary, yes I did thank you. It didn't quite go to plan, but it was still good. :)

Philles/Motown Gary
06-04-2019, 08:34 PM
That happens, but at least it turned out okay. Better open Jr. in honor of your now-belated birthday! You'll be glad you did. He's never sounded so good!

marv2
06-05-2019, 08:11 PM
I haven't bought this yet, but I plan to. I heard " A Walk In the Night" on the radio a few days ago and thought I've got to have this on CD! Junior did some great work in the 70s.

snakepit
06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Enjoying this set, but not keen on the cover versions on non Motown numbers . Let's face it , Jr. Walker was no singer. Tracks tailored for him work well.
On that subject, Motown missed a trick by not releasing "Riding high on love" as a single. I'm sure it would have been a decent sized hit for him.

kenneth
06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
I love this set. I think all the 6 albums are really great examples of just how versatile Jr. Walker & the All Stars were. I really like his covers of the non-Motown material, such as "My Love" and "Killing Me Softly." I think the only album I ever had of these 6 is "A Gasss..." which I always loved and it still sounds good.

For those of you who enjoy the set, be sure to post your reviews on Amazon to help generate more sales and hopefully more such packages.

I do agree with the earlier poster who said the packaging is a little bulky, but I suppose it's better using sustainable cardboard than a jewel box which will end up in a landfill someday.