PDA

View Full Version : sly and the family stone thank you felletnin be micelf agin vid

test

tamla617
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
was this the 1st of this kind of funk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLfHo9QAnQ

destruction
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
If you're referring to the funk you were smokin when you posted this video instead of Sly.....the answer is MAYBE.

tamla617
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
destuction
lol......here's the proper vid!
now what's the answer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLfHo9QAnQ

cozmic
02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
I think that Larry Graham's bass-fills indeed contributed to that funk-sound as one of the first of it's kind :cool:

daddyacey
03-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Are there two different mixes of TYFLMBMA? I heard a mix on Felix Hernandez show last Sunday on KISS FM here in N.Y. ,where the horns had additional fills. I won't have the chance to compare the 45 version to the L.P. version until this weekend.
And yes ,Larry's bass fills were incredibly "STANK" ,for the time and everafter.

marv2
03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
The prototypes for Prince and the Revolution!

daddyacey
03-03-2011, 04:50 AM
And the O.P. ,"Skin Tight" ,Commodores "Brick House", before Prince.:D

roger
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
And the O.P. ,"Skin Tight" ,Commodores "Brick House", before Prince.:D

Totally agree on "Brick House" daddyacey and the OHIO PLAYERS .. I think tunes like "Do It Fluid" by THE BLACKBYRDS and "Slide" by SLAVE fit in there somewhere too .. :)

Roger

daddyacey
03-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Yes Roger ,you know considering how J.B. and Sly played off of each other as the two major pioneers of early Funk ,I would also consider J.B.'s ,"Black And Proud" and even one of my Stax favorites , Eddie Floyds ,"Bring It On Home To Me". Both heavy electric Bass laden tracks for the time. The unique thing about Larry's bass performance in Thank You was the plucking sound. That's what set that sucker off from the rest. Up until TYFLMBM , the electric bass was played in the same "rolling or thumping" technique as an upright bass. Larry actually "Plucked" the strings ,which was more percussive ,which caught my ear specifically at the time. That was in contrast to the sound of the Ray Brown ,Ron Carter type upright bass style in jazz ,the Jamerson upright jazz style played on electric bass in Motown productions and the William Collins melodic bass in J.B.'s combination of the two styles. Larry combined those two styles but added that pluck sound. After that you had Stanley Clark ,Verdine White ,the Bros Johnson ,etc..,coming out with a combo of all of those styles in one form or another.

daddyacey
03-09-2011, 05:39 AM
I had the chane to do so research on this track. You know that it was only on the "Geatest Hit's" vinyl disc I have and the "Anthology" CD. The vinyl copy is 3:55 , while on the anthology on CD is 4:42 , 47 seconds longer. I'm sure I have the 45 ,in a place I could find it ,so I wan't to wait and get them all together and see what is what.
I'll be back.

topdiva1
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
What is Sly Stone up to nowadays? And what about sister Rose?

uptight
03-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Even as they sped the master tape for the vinyl 45, the ending still contains longer fadeout than on any compact disc [[as far as I know). Maybe Daddyacey can tell us what he finds.