PDA

View Full Version : “Revolving Door” Groups

test

luke
03-05-2019, 01:10 PM
15 women have been replacements for Marilyn McCoo’s spot over the years!

marv2
03-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Don't get me started on the Dramatics or the Temptations.

luke
03-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Lol. I thought similar but I didn’t even mention all the other replacements for the guys in the 5th D!

manny
03-06-2019, 10:51 AM
The Blue Notes fronted by Harold Melvin have had dozens of replacements [[I don't knows about the original quintet fronted by Bernie Williams)

nativeNY63
07-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Don't get me started on the Dramatics or the Temptations.

Otis said today, on Pandora Radio - Questlove Supreme: "I had to deal with 24 egos!"

nativeNY63
07-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Delfonics, Vandellas, Commodores...

Jerry Oz
07-08-2019, 05:57 PM
The Drifters... 'Nuff said.

Jerry Oz
07-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Otis said today, on Pandora Radio - Questlove Supreme: "I had to deal with 24 egos!"
Or actually 25, if you include his own.

edafan
07-08-2019, 08:56 PM
Or actually 25, if you include his own.

He included himself:
I have only 24 Temptations

edafan

marv2
07-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Here is a good, detailed rundown of all the various Temptations:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?13752-Why-So-Many-Temptations&highlight=Ricky+Owens

marv2
07-08-2019, 09:34 PM
The Drifters... 'Nuff said.

The Drifters shut this subject down! There were/are probably 100 of them!

arr&bee
07-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Well,let's see...clyde mcphatter[started it all]..little david baugh[clyde picked him to lead em after he left]gerhard thrasher..johnny moore[who's great voice carried them for many hits]..bobby hendricks..johnny lee williams..ben e.king[hard to believe he was only there for two years]..rudy lewis..charley thomas[who still performs with them today]..bill pinkney[the great bass]..these are the voices from the golden period-fifties-sixties,i have no idea who's there now.

marv2
07-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Well,let's see...clyde mcphatter[started it all]..little david baugh[clyde picked him to lead em after he left]gerhard thrasher..johnny moore[who's great voice carried them for many hits]..bobby hendricks..johnny lee williams..ben e.king[hard to believe he was only there for two years]..rudy lewis..charley thomas[who still performs with them today]..bill pinkney[the great bass]..these are the voices from the golden period-fifties-sixties,i have no idea who's there now.

JAI those are just some of the well known former members. There were groups of Drifters that only performed in the UK and Europe. I would not be surprised if there was a "Drifters" group that only played Japan. The owner of the trademark just licensed the name out at will.

Jerry Oz
07-09-2019, 02:32 AM
He included himself:
I have only 24 Temptations

edafanProps to him, then.

Jerry Oz
07-09-2019, 02:36 AM
JAI those are just some of the well known former members. There were groups of Drifters that only performed in the UK and Europe. I would not be surprised if there was a "Drifters" group that only played Japan. The owner of the trademark just licensed the name out at will.I went to a company Christmas party in 1991 and the "Drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and I wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so I remember singing every single song along with them.

marv2
07-09-2019, 08:42 AM
I went to a company Christmas party in 1991 and the "Drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and I wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so I remember singing every single song along with them.

That's how I felt when I saw the Spinners at Coney Island in 2011. Most of the group was younger than me, but when I was really listen to the Spinners in the 70s, the guys were all in my father's age group! LOL!

marv2
07-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Here are the members of the Drifters that Wikipedia lists, although I know there are many more that are not on this list:
Charlie Thomas
Louis Bailey
Stephen Brown
Jerome Manning
Jeff Hall
Clyde McPhatter
Gerhart Thrasher
Andrew Thrasher
Charlie White
Bill Pinkney
Willie Ferbee
Walter Adams
Ben E. King
Doc Green
Derek Ventura
Bernard Jones
Lloyd Butch Phillips
Elsbeary Hobbs
Rudy Lewis
Tommy Evans
Johnny Lee Williams
Eugene Pearson
Johnny Terry
Harrell Dixon
J.T. Carter
Johnny Stewart
Terry King[1]
Johnny Moore
Bobby Hendricks
Butch Leake
Rudy Ivan
Jimmy Lewis
Ray Lewis
Bill Fredericks
Louis Price
Maurice Cannon
Glenn Dodd
Pierre Herelle
Carlton Powell
Jason Leigh
Phil Watson
Michael Raysor
Dave Revels

Jerry Oz
07-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Wasn't the Drifters' name indicative of guys who drifted from group to group? I don't think it was meant to be a business model but that's certainly how it turned out.

lockhartgary
07-09-2019, 01:52 PM
According to Wikipedia, since its inception, Blood, Sweat and Tears have had a staggering 184 members.

nativeNY63
07-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Wasn't the Drifters' name indicative of guys who drifted from group to group? I don't think it was meant to be a business model but that's certainly how it turned out.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Jerry, stop! Please...stop. This. Crazy. Thing.
Drifting from group to group.

nativeNY63
07-09-2019, 02:06 PM
According to Wikipedia, since its inception, Blood, Sweat and Tears have had a staggering 184 members.
So, in a very real sense, then, there was a lot of blood, sweat, and Tears drawn amongst the group members.

Jerry Oz
07-09-2019, 02:48 PM
This is from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame website:

The name “Drifters” was chosen by Clyde McPhatter, the honey-voiced singer who was the first in a long line of lead voices. He could not have chosen a better name, as members drifted in and out of the band from the very beginning. The Hall of Fame inductees span the group’s history: McPhatter, Ben E. King, Rudy Lewis, Johnny Moore, Bill Pinkney, Gerhart Thrasher and Charlie Thomas. All the same, a consistent high standard was maintained throughout the Drifters’ recording career at Atlantic Records, which lasted from late 1953 to early 1966. During that time, they cut numerous records that stand as milestones of sweet soul music.

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/drifters [[https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/drifters)

nativeNY63
07-09-2019, 04:19 PM
This is from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame website:

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/drifters [[https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/drifters)
Oh, the pain. The pain.

lockhartgary
07-09-2019, 04:54 PM
So, in a very real sense, then, there was a lot of blood, sweat, and Tears drawn amongst the group members.

Lol! Yeah, I guess so!

144man
07-10-2019, 01:08 PM
How many members of Rare Earth have there been now?

Optimal Saint
07-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Reading through this makes you appreciate the unity of the Four Tops, and how rare that kind of longevity is

[[Although I think the tops have had a few different members since the end of the original quartet)

arr&bee
07-10-2019, 09:37 PM
i went to a company christmas party in 1991 and the "drifters" were performing. I was impressed until they came out and i wondered who the heck those guys were. I was in my 20s and they might have been a couple years older than me. The did a good job though. The party was boring otherwise so i remember singing every single song along with them.jerry,the great[ben e.king]once stated that after a show the-drifters? Wanted to see him backstage,but he didn't know a single one of em!!

arr&bee
07-10-2019, 09:39 PM
here are the members of the drifters that wikipedia lists, although i know there are many more that are not on this list:
Charlie thomas
louis bailey
stephen brown
jerome manning
jeff hall
clyde mcphatter
gerhart thrasher
andrew thrasher
charlie white
bill pinkney
willie ferbee
walter adams
ben e. King
doc green
derek ventura
bernard jones
lloyd butch phillips
elsbeary hobbs
rudy lewis
tommy evans
johnny lee williams
eugene pearson
johnny terry
harrell dixon
j.t. Carter
johnny stewart
terry king[1]
johnny moore
bobby hendricks
butch leake
rudy ivan
jimmy lewis
ray lewis
bill fredericks
louis price
maurice cannon
glenn dodd
pierre herelle
carlton powell
jason leigh
phil watson
michael raysor
dave revelscool marv,i had forgotten about-willie ferbee and doc green.

marv2
07-10-2019, 10:07 PM
cool marv,i had forgotten about-willie ferbee and doc green.

Did you notice former Temptation Louis Price on the list?

arr&bee
07-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Yep,sure did!

Sotosound
07-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Oh, the pain. The pain.
Are you saying that Doctor Zachary Smith was once a member of The Drifters?