PDA

View Full Version : Joyce Vincent "Do You Know [[Where You're Going To?)"

test

marv2
03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
In one of the few solo spots from her [[along with Tony Orlando and Telma Hopkins) popular weekly variety show on CBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CyHerz7hyQ

Ollie9
03-03-2019, 08:40 AM
I prefer Thelma Houstons version. This performance just brings home how special and unique the Diana Ross voice really is.

daviddh
03-03-2019, 12:03 PM
ironically Joyce and Telma sang back up for just about every motown artist. these ladies rocked but i do prefer the duet that they did to this solo version. they did this is concert when i saw them in 1976....wow am i old.

drlorne
03-03-2019, 01:04 PM
I agree. Sometimes you have to hear someone else sing it to appreciate the voice, phrasing and nuance of Diana Ross.

marv2
03-03-2019, 02:51 PM
I agree. Sometimes you have to hear someone else sing it to appreciate the voice, phrasing and nuance of Diana Ross.

This was taped live. How many takes did Diane do in the studio?

Roberta75
03-03-2019, 03:05 PM

1,237 takes. Happy?

jobeterob
03-03-2019, 03:28 PM
That’s why they released Diana’s and why she sings it in her shows; Mary wasn’t diligent and confident enough until she was 50 so she got no hits at all

TheMotownManiac
03-03-2019, 04:21 PM

I agree that Diana’s version shines brighter after listening to this merely passable performance.

What you don’t understand, And there’s no reason that you should not being a performer yourself, is that it’s more than likely Diana didn’t do anywhere near as many attempts at this song as Joyce did. Anyone getting a chance to sing A hit song solo on television is going to rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and try different things and different techniques and different sounds and different phrasings until they get it just how they want to present it. This could have been her big chance and, she proved why she remained a bg singer - she has a fine voice, but it takes so much more. Unlike Mary, who as a bg singer brought a lot to the table but has been able to carve out a niche in the business because of her unique gift.

jobeterob
03-03-2019, 09:40 PM
This is a nice enough version and Joyce is a very decent singer but it just makes Diana’s sound special - and Mahogany isn’t one of my favourite songs

You always hear that few people cover Diana’s songs because they don’t come off as well as the originals and this version doesn’t come close

lucky2012
03-03-2019, 10:39 PM
This is a truth that has hit me so many times. Hers is not a spectacular, astonishing voice but Diana Ross is a uniquely and distinctly special singer. L.A. Reid famously said:

For twenty years - my whole career really-all I have ever been doing is try to discover another Diana Ross. I still ask artists in the studio to "sing this like Diana Ross would," So far, no one has.

PeaceNHarmony
03-03-2019, 10:48 PM
This is a truth that has hit me so many times. Hers is not a spectacular, astonishing voice but Diana Ross is a uniquely and distinctly special singer. L.A. Reid famously said:
Yes. So true. The combo of the beauty of Diana's voice coupled with the WAY that she sings. Once in a lifetime. Even 50+ years later the phrasing astonishes.

PeaceNHarmony
03-03-2019, 10:53 PM
I agree that Diana’s version shines brighter after listening to this merely passable performance.

What you don’t understand, And there’s no reason that you should not being a performer yourself, is that it’s more than likely Diana didn’t do anywhere near as many attempts at this song as Joyce did. Anyone getting a chance to sing A hit song solo on television is going to rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and rehearsal and try different things and different techniques and different sounds and different phrasings until they get it just how they want to present it. This could have been her big chance and, she proved why she remained a bg singer - she has a fine voice, but it takes so much more. Unlike Mary, who as a bg singer brought a lot to the table but has been able to carve out a niche in the business because of her unique gift.

Your words echo my thoughts. Girl may be a background singer, and a good one, and remained as such. Even after hearing the song hundreds of times Joyce could not add any personality to her version. A forgettable 3 minutes of tv decades ago that just goes to show there's only one Diana Ross.

Circa 1824
03-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Joyce's version was a snooze fest. She, like most singers, do not have the talent to stand in the spotlight alone.

luke
03-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Joyce did fine. It’s a very boring song with insipid lyrics. It does show how charismatic Diana can be with even a turkey of a song.

daviddh
03-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Joyce is a great singer who has sung back up for everyone. this is not my fav song by her, and I prefer the duet version she did with Telma Hopkins. but I agree she did not make this her own.
however after 3 years on tv, she did plenty of other songs really well. this just isn't one of her best. but I don't know anyone who could sing this any better then Diana.

jobeterob
03-04-2019, 10:37 PM
https://youtu.be/q_n9KfgjjbU

Here’s Thelma’s

Better than Joyce but not as good as Diana’s

marv2
04-08-2020, 04:56 AM
Now this is a good, funny memory here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2MS8sajfO0&feature=emb_rel_end