PDA

View Full Version : Originals-California Sunset released on CD

test

theboyfromxtown
02-21-2011, 04:47 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/California-Sunset-Originals/dp/B004LTB5VE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298277917&sr=8-4

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=56978

I am really pleased to see this on CD.

MIKEW-UK
02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
I bought it when it came out. Loved it and of course it has the talent of Lamont writing and producing it. Everyone should support this release.

I bet many of these reissues on cd will sell much more than the original [[no pun intended) releases on vinyl. A number of my collection are factory samples with that little white and red sticker; they never made it to the shops!

The write up on the Amazon site is seriously wrong in one instance : In the late 60s, under the guidance and writing expertise of AL GREEN!!!!!!!, THE ORIGINALS scored two of their biggest hits early in their career with Baby I' m For Real and the Gold certified, The Bells.

theboyfromxtown
02-21-2011, 06:29 AM
That's interesting about factory samples. I have a white label UK copy of it...as well as the commercial issue

MIKEW-UK
02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
well, that's at least two of us in the UK who did buy it! I used to go to Cheapo Cheapo Records in Berwick Street, Soho....they often had the samples of albums prior to release. in some instances before they were ever released!

Here's a factory sample for sale... http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=456791

In the same vein, I've just been listening to Clarence Carter REAL album on ABC. Although Lamont only contributes one song, pretty much the same crew behind it. McKinley Jackson, Ray Parker, Wah Wah Ragin, Barney Perkins, Reggie Dozier etc etc. Wonder if that will ever get a cd issue? I would think it got even less sales than California Sunset.

soulwally
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Does the single version of Good Lovin Is Just A Dime Away [[track 12) miss out the fairground barker at the beginning? I Love the track... but would love it without the barker on!

Kamasu_Jr
02-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Does the single version of Good Lovin Is Just A Dime Away [[track 12) miss out the fairground barker at the beginning? I Love the track... but would love it without the barker on!

I never bought this album the first time around.
It was from a period when I was no longer buying everything Motown because product was becoming hit or miss. These labels are reissuing several obscure Motown titles when will they get to some really good albums by Rose Banks, Bonnie Pointer, Leslie Uggams, Finis Henderson?

theboyfromxtown
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
It was from a period when I was no longer buying everything Motown because product was becoming hit or miss. These labels are reissuing several obscure Motown titles when will they get to some really good albums by Rose Banks, Bonnie Pointer, Leslie Uggams, Finis Henderson?

Kamasu

California Sunset is not just only good, it's excellent and one of the best 70's Motown albums. I am sure you will like this album.

theboyfromxtown
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
MikeUK

Yep, you're probably right...I suspect I did get it from Cheapo Cheapo!

Thanks for the info on Clarence Carter and I agree with you, a CD release please

tomato tom
02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I paid full price on release, in San Fransisco as I recall. Never seen a U.K. copy. Glad to see it on CD at last..Paulo xxxx

Kamasu_Jr
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Kamasu

California Sunset is not just only good, it's excellent and one of the best 70's Motown albums. I am sure you will like this album.

What little I have heard. I was not knocked out. You UK fans seem to like it because Lamont Dozier produced it. But it does not sound like it was recorded in Detroit and the Originals had lost two great lead singers by 1975, CP Spencer and Joe Stubbs. Is this getting released because UK Motown fans want it? What sells in the UK doesn't always sell in the US>

soulwally
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Kamasu, who knows why certain people like what? yes, no way is it a Detroit production, and you wouldn't get the Snakepit sound anywhere in 1975. As for great lead singers, the Originals still had one [[and still have one) in Hank Dixon. I take your point on CP, but Stubbs wasn't around for long [[just two leads I think, Goodnight Irene and its flip, Need Your Lovin [Want You Back})

Kamasu_Jr
02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Kamasu, who knows why certain people like what? yes, no way is it a Detroit production, and you wouldn't get the Snakepit sound anywhere in 1975. As for great lead singers, the Originals still had one [[and still have one) in Hank Dixon. I take your point on CP, but Stubbs wasn't around for long [[just two leads I think, Goodnight Irene and its flip, Need Your Lovin [Want You Back})

I liked Lamont Dozier's productions on himself. By the mid 1970s, I know he produced Aretha Franklin, Margie Joseph, Dionne Warwick, etc. But did he have any major hits on any acts other than himself by 1975?

theboyfromxtown
02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Kamasu

Most of the stuff I like was never a big hit so it will come as no surprise to me to learn I am in a minority. I've been dealing with that since before you were born! *smile*

I don't know for sure but I suspect you are probably right that it is being released for reasons of its popularity in Europe rather than the US. Lamont didn't have any major UK hits with his ABC stuff either but he did do some things with Phil Collins and Simply Red and those seemed to fare well in the UK.

Give the Originals another listen sometime in particular, Let Me Live In Your Life, Why'd You Lie and "Good Loving Is Just A Dime Away".

blkfrost
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM

The Finis Henderson album was released on CD in 2004. I believe it was a Japanese Motown release. I bought it then. I noticed that two used copies are available from Amazon.

Kamasu_Jr
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
The Finis Henderson album was released on CD in 2004. I believe it was a Japanese Motown release. I bought it then. I noticed that two used copies are available from Amazon.

Thanks. I'm just baffled why certain Motown artists are getting reissued and others aren't?
There are some really good Motown albums from the Seventies that aren't getting any attention. I liked the Leslie Uggams album because it was such a departure for her. None of the producers she had worked with previously had got a commercial sound out of her the way Don Davis did. Stephanie Mills first Motown album was significant because Stephanie was in fine voice and Burt Bacharach and Hal Davis wrote and produced it after a long lay off.
I thought the Originals were OK, but not legendary. I know there's a UK fanbase that has championed them for a while now. I played "Good Loving...." the other day and could see why it flopped in the US. It wasn't spectacular. .

MIKEW-UK
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I really liked California Sunset when it came out and still consider it to be one of the great examples of Lamont's songwriting and production skills. I rate most of Lamont's work really highly, whether as a composer, vocalist, and as a producer. It is remarkably consistent in quality.

Agreed his commercial success was greatest with Motown, and then Invictus / Hot Wax, but I think most Lamont followers appreciate his work by a yardstick other than commercial success [[that's definitely the case in the U.K.,and not only for Lamont.). In addition to his own prodigious composing talent, I'd say he knows how to set free and collaborate with really gifted artists, musicians, arrangers, mixers and engineers. I won't do a roll call, there are just too many he has been involved with along the way, but one of the great pleasures has been discovering superb but lesser known albums such as his productions on Future Flight, Garland Green, Zingara, Clarence Carter, Z Z Hill, Ben E. King and Lawrence Hilton Jacobs. Lamont's work is very consistent as he tends to use the same personnel to collaborate with whenever possible, such as McKinley Jackson for arrangements.

As with so many soul greats, mainstream commercial successes for Lamont dropped off when the market moved to disco with Linn drums etc. Whilst he made some upbeat 'disco' music, it tended to be a lot more more imaginative and less formulaic than a lot of the predictable disco stuff that was released on masse and eventually undermined the ' soul ' market. When rap followed disco, soulful orchestrated performances by talented singers, with great musicians, arrangers and producers just weren't commercially viable. So I'm still appreciating almost everything Lamont does, even to this day, whilst he chooses to pass on his skills and teach at USC. Yep, I'm terribly biased, but I just rate him so highly - hardly surprising to see my choices in my profile page!

Kamasu_Jr
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I really liked California Sunset when it came out and still consider it to be one of the great examples of Lamont's songwriting and production skills. I rate most of Lamont's work really highly, whether as a composer, vocalist, and as a producer. It is remarkably consistent in quality.

Agreed his commercial success was greatest with Motown, and then Invictus / Hot Wax, but I think most Lamont followers appreciate his work by a yardstick other than commercial success [[that's definitely the case in the U.K.,and not only for Lamont.). In addition to his own prodigious composing talent, I'd say he knows how to set free and collaborate with really gifted artists, musicians, arrangers, mixers and engineers. I won't do a roll call, there are just too many he has been involved with along the way, but one of the great pleasures has been discovering superb but lesser known albums such as his productions on Future Flight, Garland Green, Zingara, Clarence Carter, Z Z Hill, Ben E. King and Lawrence Hilton Jacobs. Lamont's work is very consistent as he tends to use the same personnel to collaborate with whenever possible, such as McKinley Jackson for arrangements.

As with so many soul greats, mainstream commercial successes for Lamont dropped off when the market moved to disco with Linn drums etc. Whilst he made some upbeat 'disco' music, it tended to be a lot more more imaginative and less formulaic than a lot of the predictable disco stuff that was released on masse and eventually undermined the ' soul ' market. When rap followed disco, soulful orchestrated performances by talented singers, with great musicians, arrangers and producers just weren't commercially viable. So I'm still appreciating almost everything Lamont does, even to this day, whilst he chooses to pass on his skills and teach at USC. Yep, I'm terribly biased, but I just rate him so highly - hardly surprising to see my choices in my profile page!

That's what I was saying. There are some Motown fans in the UK who are going to like whatever Lamont Dozier does or has done. I like him too and guess I can listen to some of the later things he produced that were not as successful as his Sixties output with the Hollands. But I thought some of the tracks from California Sunset were over orchestrated, way too wordy and just weren't the best Lamont Dozier I had heard. Motown fan has a copy of the album that he bought as a cut-out, still in shrink wrap and when I asked if he played it, he said maybe once or twice.

MIKEW-UK
02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
"There are some Motown fans in the UK who are going to like whatever Lamont Dozier does or has done." Kam, you are absolutely right of course. I fully admit I am hopelessly biased, and not objective, I guess that's the beauty of our passions and enthusiasms. I do appreciate your opinions and your comments in general in the forum, that's why I wanted to join. cheers Mike

tomato tom
02-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Nobody is ever going to like EVERYTHING somebody has recorded. Thats why I love this forum and everyones views. i did quite like California Sunset, but it did take time to grow on me. Good Lovin IS my favourite. When I listen to other albums by The Originals, they are pretty hit and miss. At least Lamont got a coheasive thread and it flows nicely. Just my thoughts..Paulo xxxx

tomato tom
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes, it is not a Detroit production. It was recorded when The Originals made the move to L.A. HENCE the title CALIFORNIA SUNSET! Of course Frank Wilson, one of the top West Coast Motown producers took over and they went DISCO with Down To Lovetown etal..Paulo xxx

nosey
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
You all really warm my heart when you talk about the Originals. As most of you know, CP was my cousin and we were really close and you all will never know what a great guy, husband, father he was. Thanks for always remembering this great group! My favorites are Suspicion and of course Baby I'm for Real.

MIKEW-UK
02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
nosey, CP was a great singer, very disctinctive voice. I have the track "Still Holding On" from Motown. Was there anything more on C.P released by Motown?

I did find this reference to a solo album on Azone, Love Swept Over You, which I have never seem anywhere... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_joIJuNR4jPQ/S-wGfGt3oWI/AAAAAAAACgw/16hl6EFwavk/s1600/Back.JPG

I know he did some stuff with Ian Levine as well which you are probably aware of... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttaI4QkK6k

You will be pleased to know he was very highly thought of in the UK, made the national press for his obituary.... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/c-p-spencer-682004.html

Motown4Ever518
02-23-2011, 11:22 PM
This very exciting!!!!!! I admit that I rate Lamont Dozier very highly. On the one hand the songs collectively may not be as good as what Lamont released on himself during the mid seventies timeline. And yes the Originals were beyond solid, but not great. That said, this project has remained unavailable on CD for too long. I missed the original release in the mid seventies, and purchased it as a cut out in the early eighties. My copy got lost along the way. If anything, what perhaps kept the project from achieving it's maximum potential at the point of release is that perhaps Lamont should have cut it on himself.

motown01
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Sweet Rhapsody is a great track from this album - I'll be purchasing this CD.

Motown4Ever518
04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Has anyone gotten a copy yet? I know it was to be released this month, I haven't gotten mine yet.

sunshineonacloudyday
04-22-2011, 01:49 AM
You all really warm my heart when you talk about the Originals. As most of you know, CP was my cousin and we were really close and you all will never know what a great guy, husband, father he was. Thanks for always remembering this great group! My favorites are Suspicion and of course Baby I'm for Real.

nosey, I LOVE The Originals. Baby I'm For Real is one of my all-time favorite songs. I also love You're The One, A Man Without Love , and the beautiful Touch, off the 'Communique' album [[I think)
Oh...And also, There's A Place We'd Like To Know, Love Is A Wonder, and of course...THE BELLS, etc..lol

nabob
04-22-2011, 07:16 AM
The CD was purchased on Amazon.Com last week and shipped immediately by a UK seller. I didn't realize it was being mailed from the UK. Even though the CD was shipped last week, it will probably not arrive for the next 6 or 7 weeks due to security screening of packages on this side of the Atlantic. That was the previous experience buying from a UK vendor.

Street Opera by Ashford & Simpson was purchased from Amazon.Com, but has a delayed delivery. I suspect that they are obtaining it from the UK prior to shipping domestically.

jaybs
04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
One of my favourite albums from The Original's ordered first day listed by Amazon in the UK, still saying we will advise by email when mailed!

I think the Original's extended CD has still to be released, it keeps getting put back each week? no UK seller has it yet on any website! A friend in Aistralia was told by Amazon UK a DVD had been mailed when it was not due for release for a further two weeks, why they do this I don't know!

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Did you know that this album was the only Originals album NOT issued on Soul. I heard that Lamont insisted it be issued on Motown as it had a better chance of succeding. Well, that never happened. Was it deberately sabotaged, promotion wise by Mr Gordy because of previous issues with the Holland, Dozier, Holland law suits? Who Knows. One of those Motown Bermuda triangle mysteries that we love so much.......Paulo xxxx

blkfrost
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
nosey, I LOVE The Originals. Baby I'm For Real is one of my all-time favorite songs. I also love You're The One, A Man Without Love , and the beautiful Touch, off the 'Communique' album [[I think)
Oh...And also, There's A Place We'd Like To Know, Love Is A Wonder, and of course...THE BELLS, etc..lol

I have always loved The Originals. The group had a way with ballads. Love "I'll Wait For You", "Touch" "Sunrise", "It's So Real", "Don't Turn The Lights Off". Would love to have all of the albums on CD.

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Im Someone Who Cares, I adore..Paulo xxx

heikki
04-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi Paulo!

Here's what the late Freddie Gorman said about the album:

"They never promoted it. As a matter of fact, the album was stopped right after it was released. It started receiving airplay, because one of the songs - Good Lovin' Is Just A Dime Away - had begun to show up, and then they stopped it. One of the reasons that I understand was that they thought Eddie Holland might sue, because he had a contract with Lamont Dozier. It was a very good album, but they sat on it."
[[Soul Express: The Originals - Underrated Soul Heroes).

Best regards
Heikki

tomato tom
04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
HEIKKI..Thanks..thought some legal issues were involved. On a brighter note! Just heard Lamont Doziers Why Cant We Be Lovers blasting from the speakers of a passing car!!! Kharma or WHAT!...Paulo xxxx

blkfrost
04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
HEIKKI..Thanks..thought some legal issues were involved. On a brighter note! Just heard Lamont Doziers Why Cant We Be Lovers blasting from the speakers of a passing car!!! Kharma or WHAT!...Paulo xxxx

Jr. Walker does a excellent version of "Why Can't We Be Lovers" on the Hot Shot album.

jaybs
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Amazon email release date put back once more of California Sunset.

theboyfromxtown
05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
I got a copy from Amazon and also from HMV today.

paul_nixon
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Got mine today too.

Motown4Ever518
05-21-2011, 06:22 PM
I received mine here in the States from a reseller "across the pond". After 2 listens, it is Good, though not as good as I remembered. McKinley Jackson seemed to be out to impress someone, either Motown, his family, or an old music teacher, he never sounded better with the arrangements. Or it could have been recording in a world class studio with top notch support.

l

theboyfromxtown
05-22-2011, 06:17 AM
It's a definite grower. I played it a few months after the LP's initial release and went mad on it. Put a reminder note in your diary in 3 months time!

Can I ask how you choose 518 in your moniker? Is there a music connection. If you were from the UK, I'd say you were a Marvelettes fan [[TMG 518)

matthew
11-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Great arrangements by Mckinley Jackson,Paul Riser, and Jimmy Haskell. Referring to earlier posts regarding Dozier's solo work, a lot of those records were produced and arranged by Mckinley Jackson. I read on Amazon about Freda Payne's Payne and Pleasure that Lamont Dozier produced it but they used someone else's name for legal reasons, it said the same on wikipedia. Mckinley produced many great records from the time for ABC on such artists as Freda Payne, Popcorn Wylie, and Lamont Dozier.

Motown4Ever518
11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
It's a definite grower. I played it a few months after the LP's initial release and went mad on it. Put a reminder note in your diary in 3 months time!

Can I ask how you choose 518 in your moniker? Is there a music connection. If you were from the UK, I'd say you were a Marvelettes fan [[TMG 518)

The Boy from Motown,

I did listen again recently, and it is still good. I think after having my mouth water for it for years and years regarding it being re-released on CD, even considering buying a vinyl copy at any price and then transfering it to CD, it was not as great as I expected, or as it was when I first discovered it.

I am from thiss side of t the "Pond", 518 is the area code for this part of Upstate, NY.

Cheers

TMSG
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Just been reading through this thread, no-one has mentioned the absolute stand out trancks - "Don't turn the Lights On" and "It should Never Happen". I originally heard these two tracks on the UK release "The Originals - Essential Collection" [[my introduction to the group) and thought the vocals were knockout , so was thrilled to see the release of "California Sunset".
Think this was a gear album and should have been a bigger hit when originally released.