PDA

View Full Version : Ace Collects U.K. Motown Covers

test

zani57
02-21-2019, 04:08 PM
From The Second Disc —

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/02/ill-be-doggone-ace-collects-u-k-motown-covers-from-the-hollies-dusty-cilla-and-more/

mysterysinger
02-21-2019, 06:32 PM
There is no shortage of UK Motown cover versions - some are very good and some just interesting. Just a personal thing in that I don't much enjoy listening to this type of collection. It's a bit like listening to those cover albums such as Top Of The Pops or those Avenue records releases [[Alan Caddy etc) - they're no match for the Motown originals.

copley
02-21-2019, 10:39 PM
With one exception. Dusty was a match for Motown any day of the week because she loved it so much!

'When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes' – Dusty Springfield [[from Philips LP SBL 7594, 1964) [[*)

Philles/Motown Gary
02-22-2019, 12:43 AM
That new ACE collection of non-Motown versions doesn't excite me at all, either. I bought the "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" DVD and really wanted to love it, but when an in-depth tribute to Motown contains everybody's version EXCEPT Motown's, it's a bummer which makes no sense at all. A lost opportunity, for sure. [[Sorry, Harry, I wanted to love it but couldn't for that very reason.)

mysterysinger
02-22-2019, 03:47 AM
But the deluxe CD release of SITSOM was something else with the interviews and vocal-less and stripped mixes.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-22-2019, 04:17 AM
But the deluxe CD release of SITSOM was something else with the interviews and vocal-less and stripped mixes.
I only bought the DVD version. I guess I wasn't aware of the CD version at the time. Or, if I was aware, I wouldn't have bought it, figuring that it was just the audio version of the non-Motown performances from the DVD.

thommg
02-22-2019, 11:33 AM
The single cd of SITSOM is the one that has the performances from the film. The 2 disc deluxe version has them on one disc and then a second disc of just the music. I didn't mind the new version from the film. I was caught up in listening intently to the musicians rather than the vocals.

Philles/Motown Gary
02-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Hi Thom! Yeah, the musician interview content was really good. Think I'm due to dig out my DVD for a replay.

TomatoTom123
02-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Wow I have never heard of most of these artists! Interesting range of covers though.