PDA

View Full Version : Sammy davis jr. On pbs ' american masters

test

milven
02-19-2019, 09:25 AM
On many PBS stations tonight, PBS' AMERICAN MASTERS will feature Sammy Davis Jr, one of the 20th Century's Greatest Entertainers. [[9 pm in most areas)

Never-before-seen photographs and interviews with Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Lewis and others provide insight into Sammy Davis Jr.'s talent and journey for identity in Hollywood.

PeaceNHarmony
02-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks; will be a good watch. Davis' 60's lps are superb. He was a great singer.

thommg
02-19-2019, 01:26 PM
In checking my PBS listings, I found this trailer for the show. Without a doubt, Sammy is one of the most underrated entertainers of the 20th Century.

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/american-masters/sammy-davis-jr-ive-gotta-be-me-trailer-ui2q9j/

motony
02-20-2019, 09:07 AM
I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.

Bluebrock
02-20-2019, 11:05 AM
On many PBS stations tonight, PBS' AMERICAN MASTERS will feature Sammy Davis Jr, one of the 20th Century's Greatest Entertainers. [[9 pm in most areas)

Never-before-seen photographs and interviews with Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Lewis and others provide insight into Sammy Davis Jr.'s talent and journey for identity in Hollywood.
This sounds wonderful. Hopefully PBS UK will show this eventually.What a fantastic entertainer he was, and what a trailblazer.

midnightman
02-20-2019, 04:59 PM
He truly was a pioneer in every stretch of the imagination.

Jerry Oz
02-20-2019, 09:44 PM
I need to watch this. It took me years to appreciate Sammy Davis, Jr. When I was a little boy [[9-12 years old) I remember feeling embarrassed and ashamed for him when his fellow Rat Packers said racist things to him on TV roasts and other occasions. But after I learned more about him, I was more angry with them than let down by him. To this day, I can't watch Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin or Joey Bishop on TV without resenting them.

Sammy deserved a lot better and I hope people appreciate the genius that he was.

PeaceNHarmony
02-21-2019, 06:42 AM
I need to watch this. It took me years to appreciate Sammy Davis, Jr. When I was a little boy [[9-12 years old) I remember feeling embarrassed and ashamed for him when his fellow Rat Packers said racist things to him on TV roasts and other occasions. But after I learned more about him, I was more angry with them than let down by him. To this day, I can't watch Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin or Joey Bishop on TV without resenting them.

Sammy deserved a lot better and I hope people appreciate the genius that he was.Correctly stated and agreed. Davis suffered tremendous racism in his military stint [[as well as of course in life in general) but it seems that the time in the military made him determined to absorb into white society. Now we can just revel in his tremendous talent and life force.