PDA

View Full Version : Smokey: Anyone upset about J-Lo participating in Motown Grammy tribute is "stupid"

test

midnightman
02-10-2019, 01:19 AM
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1094443662405029888

Smokey? Really now? Lol

https://dn0.newtumbl.com/img/34391/385029/1/598498/nT_cgp7i0vnaes4budkdigka49d.gif

marv2
02-10-2019, 01:49 AM
That means that there must be an awful lot of people that are not happy that JLO is being involved or he wouldn't have said anything.

marv2
02-10-2019, 01:53 AM
Looking at all of those comments, it looks like Uncle Smokey has taken a very unpopular stand. Go now Smokey and join Gladys Knight in the Time Out corner, hehehehehehehe!

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Suggestion...Don't like the segment, suggest you do what I would do...Don't watch...I haven't watched the Grammys in years...Now I just might...If anything, like Gladys anthem performance...I'm curious now...

marv2
02-10-2019, 02:48 AM
Suggestion...Don't like the segment, suggest you do what I would do...Don't watch...I haven't watched the Grammys in years...Now I just might...If anything, like Gladys anthem performance...I'm curious now...

Same here Stu. I stopped watching sometime around the late 90s. I was going to watch this year for the Motown Tribute, but then again I may not.

jobeterob
02-10-2019, 03:17 AM
Sometimes it’s best to say nothing

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 03:30 AM
Same here Stu. I stopped watching sometime around the late 90s. I was going to watch this year for the Motown Tribute, but then again I may not.
NARAS gotta be loving this since it's only gonna get more people to watch. I likely wouldn't, and depending on my plans for tomorrow, I might. Not hatin on J-Lo...She's a Puerto Rican who did a very credible job portraying a Mexican-American Tejano singer...so Motown should be a breeze... I'm sure she grew up on Motown...Smokeys cool with it...I'm cool with it...

midnightman
02-10-2019, 04:01 AM
STU! Have you actually heard her sing?! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpq6qA5F1SQ

https://media.giphy.com/media/1PgPvWLfXGkCY/giphy.gif

I mean everyone grew up on Motown and she did cover a Motown song but still, there are relevant artists who could've easily been in her place: Janelle Monae, Solange, etc. but they pick someone whose last real big hit was almost 10 years ago? Lol

midnightman
02-10-2019, 04:02 AM
That means that there must be an awful lot of people that are not happy that JLO is being involved or he wouldn't have said anything.

Surely you jest, Marvin. :rolleyes:

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Actually, a reporter stuck a mic in Smokey's face following a pre-Grammy party and he responded, albeit a bit irritated...https://variety.com/2019/music/news/smokey-robinson-defends-j-los-motown-tribute-at-the-grammys-anyone-who-is-upset-is-stupid-1203134333/

PeaceNHarmony
02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Probably racist as well. Some people complain if there's no cross-cultural appreciation and recognition, then complain more when there is. JLo will attract more viewers. Get over it.

Jimi LaLumia
02-10-2019, 11:50 AM
well the Ross birthday celebration should be worth the price of admission

midnightman
02-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Probably racist as well. Some people complain if there's no cross-cultural appreciation and recognition, then complain more when there is. JLo will attract more viewers. Get over it.

My complaint wasn't her race actually lol

Roberta75
02-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Oh come on we all know youll be glued to your TV watching the Diamond Diane Ross birthday performance at the Grammys. Youd never miss a chance to see your favorite former Supreme.

khansperac
02-10-2019, 01:31 PM
I’m so tired of the “offended” era we live in. This J. lo thing is being blown way out of proportion. It is not that deep. Regarding Smokey, he was irritated because that reporter wouldn’t let it go when Smokey didn’t answer the question the way the reporter expected him to, so the reporter just kept asking- thinking he could get Smokey to be offended too. Don Lemon did the same thing with Gladys Knight, by trying to shame her for wanting to sing at the Super Bowl.

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 02:40 PM
i’m so tired of the “offended” era we live in. This j. Lo thing is being blown way out of proportion. It is not that deep. Regarding smokey, he was irritated because that reporter wouldn’t let it go when smokey didn’t answer the question the way the reporter expected him to, so the reporter just kept asking- thinking he could get smokey to be offended too. Don lemon did the same thing with gladys knight, by trying to shame her for wanting to sing at the super bowl.
exactly...

Roberta75
02-10-2019, 03:41 PM
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1094443662405029888

Smokey? Really now? Lol

https://dn0.newtumbl.com/img/34391/385029/1/598498/nT_cgp7i0vnaes4budkdigka49d.gif

You post the best gifs. I love them. Thanks! Fondly Roberta

jobeterob
02-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Now I think Smokey did a really good job - he told the guy politely to go “f” himself if he couldn’t find anything better to get bothered about

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 11:43 PM
J-Lo was njothing short of GREAT... Who else could have coordinated the singing with the dance moves???... One of the best Grammy segments ever...and her voice was in terrific form. Mic drop... Haters still gonna hate...

LoveSupreme
02-10-2019, 11:46 PM
She tore the roof off of that theater with that tribute and she did many hits other people would never have chosen for a Motown tribute like Teena Marie's "Square Biz". She just silenced all the haters.

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 11:48 PM
She tore the roof off of that theater with that tribute and she did many hits other people would never have chosen for a Motown tribute like Teena Marie's "Square Biz". She just silenced all the haters.
Absolutely...

marybrewster
02-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Was she singing though?

And no Supremes song? Or Diana? It's not Motown with two of the top selling artists.

bradsupremes
02-10-2019, 11:55 PM
I may be in the miniority but that tribute was a mess. We’re talking Motown. It should have a big sound yet the band didn’t sound full. J.Lo’s vocals were clearly pre-recorded. She was not singing live. She’s just not a fit with the material. That’s not to say she can’t sing or that she has talent, but her style isn’t what comes to mind when you think Motown and it didn’t gel. Smokey and Alicia singing “Tracks Of My Tears” coming back from commercial was better than the whole tribute.

I would have rather seen Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo and Smokey do the tribute similar to what Alicia did earlier in the show by singing her favorite songs. Get an orchestra, remove the dancers, the theatrics, and just have those three sing. It would have been 100x better.

marybrewster
02-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Rhonda on her phone though.....

StuBass1
02-10-2019, 11:58 PM
I guess you can't please all the people all the time and I imagine we'll find out that haters still gonna hate...I've been involved with NARAS and their show in past years and this was perhaps the best segment I've seen...J-Lo tore it up and Smokey was totally vindicated...EVERYBODY will have their say as to what song was left out or what group they believe should have been represented out of the dozens of Motown artists, but I thought the song selection was terrific spanning the entire timeframe of the Motown era...Her outstanding handling of the song and her magnificent dance moves kept the audience on the edge of their seats, although I'm sure some of the haters were hoping she'd fall off the piano...LOL

bradsupremes
02-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Best segment? There have been better. Way better.

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 12:03 AM
I thought it was very entertaining, really good

They should have had Diana step out at the end for a capper

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 12:11 AM
Best segment? There have been better. Way better.
I can only speak for the segments I've seen... I haven't watched much in recent years...Too much politics, although they were apparently warned to lay off this year since ratings for awards shows in general have been falling off due to all the politics...The Funk segment in 05 was good too...Diana did a very nice job and the opening segment featuring Ricky Martin and the legendary Arturo Sandoval is excellent too...

midnightman
02-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Diana, Janelle and H.E.R. seemed to get the most praise tonight.

reese
02-11-2019, 12:17 AM
I can only speak for the segments I've seen... I haven't watched much in recent years...Too much politics, although they were apparently warned to lay off this year since ratings for awards shows in general have been falling off due to all the politics...The Funk segment in 05 was good too...Diana did a very nice job and the opening segment featuring Ricky Martin and the legendary Arturo Sandoval is excellent too...

So far, with the exception of a few performances, I have really liked the entire show, which hasn't been the case for me in recent years. Everyone from Diana to ChloexHalle to J-Lo did well. Can't wait for the Aretha tribute.

lockhartgary
02-11-2019, 12:39 AM
I have not watched the Grammy shows in years...not that I've ever been a diligent watcher.

I though J-Lo did a good job. What I did not like were the backing vocals; they sounded uninteresting to me.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 12:40 AM
CHILD, LOOK AT WHAT TWITTER GOT ON HERE:

https://twitter.com/blasianFMA/status/1094806733707530240

YOUR BOY HAD THAT STONE STARE LOOK!?!?! OMG! LMFAO!!!

khansperac
02-11-2019, 12:58 AM
I thought J Lo did good. Kudos for her singing Square Biz.

marv2
02-11-2019, 01:03 AM
I may be in the miniority but that tribute was a mess. We’re talking Motown. It should have a big sound yet the band didn’t sound full. J.Lo’s vocals were clearly pre-recorded. She was not singing live. She’s just not a fit with the material. That’s not to say she can’t sing or that she has talent, but her style isn’t what comes to mind when you think Motown and it didn’t gel. Smokey and Alicia singing “Tracks Of My Tears” coming back from commercial was better than the whole tribute.

I would have rather seen Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo and Smokey do the tribute similar to what Alicia did earlier in the show by singing her favorite songs. Get an orchestra, remove the dancers, the theatrics, and just have those three sing. It would have been 100x better.

No you're not in the minority! I watched it. It was awful just as I expected. JLO sucked as I expected. I didn't understand any of it, especially the song selection. It looked like a Las Vegas commercial to me. The dancers were pretty bad too. Good pyrotechnics though.

marv2
02-11-2019, 01:05 AM
I guess you can't please all the people all the time and I imagine we'll find out that haters still gonna hate...I've been involved with NARAS and their show in past years and this was perhaps the best segment I've seen...J-Lo tore it up and Smokey was totally vindicated...EVERYBODY will have their say as to what song was left out or what group they believe should have been represented out of the dozens of Motown artists, but I thought the song selection was terrific spanning the entire timeframe of the Motown era...Her outstanding handling of the song and her magnificent dance moves kept the audience on the edge of their seats, although I'm sure some of the haters were hoping she'd fall off the piano...LOL

I'm sorry Stu. I did not like that, I did not like it!

marv2
02-11-2019, 01:06 AM
So far, with the exception of a few performances, I have really liked the entire show, which hasn't been the case for me in recent years. Everyone from Diana to ChloexHalle to J-Lo did well. Can't wait for the Aretha tribute.

Those two girls that sang "Where Is The Love" acapella were really good.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 01:13 AM
I'm sorry Stu. I did not like that, I did not like it!
You're certainly entitled...I thought it was terrific. What did Rickey Nelson say...You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself...The Motown contingent appeared to be quite pleased... Now for them, it's on to the 60th anniversary special scheduled for taping on Tuesday. I assume a lot of people will be displeased with that project too...Gotta go with what you go with...

bradsupremes
02-11-2019, 01:39 AM
You should check out Twitter. People are ripping that Motown tribute. It was not well received. Even Motown Records own Twitter account had to tweet out about how the opinions of the performance shouldn't take away from fans remembering the artists and legacy of Motown.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 01:47 AM
I'm convinced some of those ""purists" weren't gonna be happy unless they either saw some 80 year old artists trying to recreate their past glories holding on tight to their walkers, or other artists who looked a certain way standing there singing and boring the hell out of the audience... If they want to see a Motown Special...they Motown anniversary program will be broadcast in April...But everyone is entitled to their opinion...Like I said...I'm sure some people were disappointed that J-Lo didn't fall off that piano and broke her neck based on some of the outright hate and venom I've seen on some social media sites directed at Lopez, and even Smokey at this point...LOL

jboy88
02-11-2019, 02:00 AM
I had no problem with J.Lo taking part, but wha bothered me was they gave her too much screen time. She should have done at most two songs and then let Smokey take over. They also could have had Valerie Simpson involved as well. She was in the building after all.

bradsupremes
02-11-2019, 02:03 AM
Stu, it's not just purists. It's everyday people. It's Millennials, Gen X, etc. The Grammys should have picked a better person/people to do it. Leon Bridges, Raphael Saadiq, Dionne Bromfield, Jill Scott are all contemporary successors of Motown. They would have been perfect choices to be included. To put the whole thing on Jennifer Lopez is at the fault of the Grammys. Motown deserved better.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 02:22 AM
Stu, it's not just purists. It's everyday people. It's Millennials, Gen X, etc. The Grammys should have picked a better person/people to do it. Leon Bridges, Raphael Saadiq, Dionne Bromfield, Jill Scott are all contemporary successors of Motown. They would have been perfect choices to be included. To put the whole thing on Jennifer Lopez is at the fault of the Grammys. Motown deserved better.
Motown is fine with it and most fans I have seen thought it was terrific...EXCEPT a certain segment of those same folks who were bitching about this the entire week. There is a political element to this that I won't get into but the dynamics are deafening in their silence, and the issue is more Lopez ethnicity than anything else IMHO...Folks are becoming confused on this entire issue...Don't think that it was just NARAS that made this decision...I've worked with NARAS and I have little doubt that Berry and Smokey gave this their blessing and both are quite pleased as to how it worked out...Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215801201297409&set=pcb.827777110895773&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARDKaCQxrWkqUpdhcyzHP0lfQN5bnI17vbryOwzm-TrxJqY0DYYPXWgEoXpsrVTmqkwr66pd-PTDUOR6

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 02:38 AM
Berry seemed overwhelmed with emotion by Diana and the Motown tribute

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 02:44 AM
Yes...As an 89 year old able to reflect on your massive accomplishments, it's not surprising...

bradsupremes
02-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...

Seriously. Go to Twitter. Motown is trending. Click on it. Read the tweets. EVERYONE didn't think it was outstanding. The majority of tweets are in consensus was that it was major disappointment and Jennifer Lopez was a bad choice and these aren't Motown purists. These are everyday people. I know there are many in the black community who weren't happy a black artist/s weren't the main person doing it. I don't see it as a race issue. I just don't believe she wasn't vocally and stylistically right for the material and to do an entire tribute especially when there wasn't anything in that tribute that had the Motown vibe and feel to it. They could have gotten Joss Stone and it would have been more appropriate.

You can go on believing everyone loved it except the Motown purists, but all you have to do is check out the tweets and comment sections. There is where the general public received it and it wasn't good.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 02:56 AM
Joss Stone is a Blues style singer and cant dance a lick... Look at the pictures of all the J-Lo naysayers and tell me if you see anything in common? Like I said...It's about the same reaction as if Trump had done the segment...LOL

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:23 AM

You know she's a legendary lip syncher, right?

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:24 AM

I can see it with Diana, Smokey and Ne-Yo.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:25 AM
Seriously. Go to Twitter. Motown is trending. Click on it. Read the tweets. EVERYONE didn't think it was outstanding. The majority of tweets are in consensus was that it was major disappointment and Jennifer Lopez was a bad choice and these aren't Motown purists. These are everyday people. I know there are many in the black community who weren't happy a black artist/s weren't the main person doing it. I don't see it as a race issue. I just don't believe she wasn't vocally and stylistically right for the material and to do an entire tribute especially when there wasn't anything in that tribute that had the Motown vibe and feel to it. They could have gotten Joss Stone and it would have been more appropriate.

You can go on believing everyone loved it except the Motown purists, but all you have to do is check out the tweets and comment sections. There is where the general public received it and it wasn't good.

Then they wonder why the Motown heads left this forum. Wasn't just because of that group we won't name's drama...

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:27 AM
Motown is fine with it and most fans I have seen thought it was terrific...EXCEPT a certain segment of those same folks who were bitching about this the entire week. There is a political element to this that I won't get into but the dynamics are deafening in their silence, and the issue is more Lopez ethnicity than anything else IMHO...Folks are becoming confused on this entire issue...Don't think that it was just NARAS that made this decision...I've worked with NARAS and I have little doubt that Berry and Smokey gave this their blessing and both are quite pleased as to how it worked out...Like I said...Once one leaves some of the more Motown oriented "purist" naysayers...virtually EVERYONE else thought the segment was outstanding from every other social media postings I've seen... Most millennials and Gen X'ers know little to nothing about Motown and would just as soon see Cardi b or Funky Foo do a Motown tribute...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215801201297409&set=pcb.827777110895773&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARDKaCQxrWkqUpdhcyzHP0lfQN5bnI17vbryOwzm-TrxJqY0DYYPXWgEoXpsrVTmqkwr66pd-PTDUOR6

The "Motown" that responded wasn't the same Motown and you know that. I'm a millennial myself and we been know how J Lo was. Got away with saying the n word in a song too.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:28 AM
No you're not in the minority! I watched it. It was awful just as I expected. JLO sucked as I expected. I didn't understand any of it, especially the song selection. It looked like a Las Vegas commercial to me. The dancers were pretty bad too. Good pyrotechnics though.

I skipped it, but I knew it was gonna be awful.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:29 AM

Right. I'm 34 years old, that mess didn't fly with me either.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:32 AM
Actually, I had and seen many communications with folks actually AFFILIATED with Motown and not a negative reaction in the group...It's the Motown fanfolks who seem to have the problem with J-Lo's performance. Find me one person actually connected with Motown who had a problem with it because of at least a dozen folks with Motown credentials I've connected with...not a bad word...That said...everyone, for whatever their motives, reasons or justifications are entitled to express their opinions...

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:37 AM
Look, Stu, you can't expect everyone to go along with everything. If we did that, we wouldn't be human. :)

bradsupremes
02-11-2019, 09:38 AM
This is from Billboard. They listed the tribute as one of the worst moments of the show.

Motown Salute

A tribute to Motown’s 60th anniversary should’ve been a homerun. But with Jennifer Lopez presiding over it, it was an oddity for the ages. J.Lo -- as demonstrated during her Motown medley -- is an astonishingly adept dancer, a superb entertainer and a great vocalist. But in no world is she the best artist to fete Motown. And in no universe is she the SOLE artist to fete Motown in an awards show tribute. This was a head-scratcher for the ages.

The New York Post wasn’t kind either.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it one last time. It’s not just the Motown fans unhappy with it. The general public didn’t like it. Go to Twitter to look at the tweets. Motown deserved so much better.

jobucats
02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
My two cents worth. I have not enjoyed the Grammy shows in past years, however, this one pretty much kept my attention. Except for a few,[[and Cardi B, I'm referring to you) , the performance did not rely on acrobatics, women on the floor with their legs humping up in the air or circus acts to get the music across. I have a respect for J Lo's talent, HOWEVER, although her singing [[pre-recorded or not) was great, I still have a problem with the booty shaking during the Motown segment. Growing up, not only did I love the Motown music, but I also had a great admiration for how classy the majority of their performers were. As grandma would say, "to be sure" the talent department at the Grammy Awards show could have found other artists whose performance styles would reflect the dignity of the Motown artists and company. I do like that songs were selected that , while hits in their day, are not revisited as much as the same songs of the past we constantly hear. No Supremes songs? Well, there were no Four Tops songs either.

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2019/02/10/motown-gets-fun-high-energy-homage-jlo-and-grammys/2833385002/

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 12:25 PM
As I previously stated, not much legitimate protest over the actual performance...only some folks, many of the same folks who have been criticizing the selection all week upset that a "traditional" [[ to put it mildly) performer was not tabbed for the segment [[ or more importantly a Latina was) reflects what I'm seeing on social media... Lady Gaga for example, while still unacceptable to some diehards, would have been much more acceptable to many of those who have been protesting the selection of Lopez and would have elicited little of the upheaval we've seen on some of those social media sites... It's political and really unearths long held, but recently swept under the rug divisions among certain groups of Americans who come together on some common issues, but still exist in a culture of distrust and conflict in others. We are living in hyperpolitical times and something as generally insignificant of a Grammy segment can bring the daggers out quite easily, like it or not...It's a complex issue better not put under a microscope here, but it's quite obvious...and you can take that to the bank, cash the check, and spend the money...

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Um, with social media, we live in hyper whiny times too; opinions are fast to be expressed, easy to flip off.

I still like this as a performance - although I think the background was a bit glitzy, Vegasy; but she would have helped keep people watching.

And the Detroit Free Press gave her a thumbs up.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 01:10 PM
One's trash is another's treasure. Mmkay?

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 01:18 PM
One's trash is another's treasure. Mmkay?

Exactly and in the end, what does it matter? As long as the whole show wasn’t a ratings disaster

I gather awards shows are in a bit of decline

I think it’s great that there was such a splash for Diana Ross Motown and Aretha Franklin

marybrewster
02-11-2019, 01:49 PM
I truly agree and maybe we've missed the big picture. Heritage artists, if you will, often time are forgotten, or are only remembered once they pass. That Diana was celebrated in prime time with the current hit makers is pretty spectacular. That Dionne, Smokey, Valerie were invited shows they're not forgotten.

marv2
02-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Here Jennifer Lopez is trying to defend her performance in the Motown Tribute:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/grammy/jennifer-lopez-defends-her-epic-motown-tribute-at-2019-grammys-it-was-for-my-mom-exclusive/ar-BBTqS3N?OCID=ansmsnnews11

luke
02-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Yes there is a lot of public reaction. Can you imagine Mrs Powell’s reaction to Jennifer shaking it ina sequined bathing suit? Gimme a break. Motown deserves so much better.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Childish Gambino not showing up to receive his Grammy...How:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..."Childish"...

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Here Jennifer Lopez is trying to defend her performance in the Motown Tribute:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/grammy/jennifer-lopez-defends-her-epic-motown-tribute-at-2019-grammys-it-was-for-my-mom-exclusive/ar-BBTqS3N?OCID=ansmsnnews11
No need to "defend"...She was terrific...

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Yes there is a lot of public reaction. Can you imagine Mrs Powell’s reaction to Jennifer shaking it ina sequined bathing suit? Gimme a break. Motown deserves so much better.
But Ms Powell would not be horrified with Grammys awarded to people using lyrics like THIS??? ;)https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/51737891_10217150522891140_3853376917747007488_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_eui2=AeEPQ_Cxu1K9KzjvgTLx8qpnIEgDLkeCQpn8ZXdbI 2TKJ0Q9JGYug7N2vJrRLaBH--5vKv__dQcGq4qNxml9ltZBU2WqENLUV31Hmj2Sl0Z8vg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=3cebf69d32dd6ad48a15efae79f7be16&oe=5CFFC9C0

marv2
02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

It was just not respectful to the music or legacy of Motown Records. JLO is like 50 years old this year , so she's really past the "sell by date" to be shaking in a a bathing suit on television. LOL!!!

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:27 PM
It was just not respectful to the music or legacy of Motown Records. JLO is like 50 years old this year , so she's really past the "sell by date" to be shaking in a a bathing suit on television. LOL!!!

LOL... I thought she looked terrific...So does A-Rod is suspect... They could have gotten Dionne Warwick to stand there and sing Motown songs as folks hit their remotes to Seinfeld reruns...

marv2
02-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Childish Gambino not showing up to receive his Grammy...How:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..."Childish"...

I was happy he won with "This Is America", probably the only song I'll remember from last year.

marv2
02-11-2019, 03:36 PM
LOL... I thought she looked terrific...So does A-Rod is suspect... They could have gotten Dionne Warwick to stand there and sing Motown songs as folks hit their remotes to Seinfeld reruns...

She lives out here on Long Island in Brookville. I've seen her before way back when she was with Puffy and then years later on LI after having kids. Just not the same LOL!!!!

marv2
02-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Not really because Motown is the music of my, yours, ours and my parents generation. As Al Abrams put it "The Sound of Young America".......in the 1960s. Sooooo...... those young Americans are now senior citizens and more than likely once fans of Dionne Warwick's music. That tribute was not for Millenials, Gen XYZ or whatever.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Not really because Motown is the music of my, yours, ours and my parents generation. As Al Abrams put it "The Sound of Young America".......in the 1960s. Sooooo...... those young Americans are now senior citizens and more than likely once fans of Dionne Warwick's music. That tribute was not for Millenials, Gen XYZ or whatever.
Agree...but others on this very thread are saying that they are Millenials and the tribute should have been geared toward them and current popular culture...Others say it should have been some 80 year old singing Motown oldies while hanging onto their walkers... Should Motown die with it's artists, or should the genre be passed along to others from ALL ages, genres, races, and ethnicities, which is partially what was intended with this tribute... As I said...there are some deep seeded societal issues at play here... Those here in SoCal would understand...Look at the makeup of Watts, Compton, South Central 50 years ago and today and see what changes occurred. The issues become clear and once common enemies [[for the sake of electoral and political convenience) disappear, the widely understood conflicts begin to emerge... As I said...Lady Gaga doing that same segment would have elicited a mere fraction of the vitriol we are seeing today...

midnightman
02-11-2019, 03:52 PM
What you're not getting, Stu, is that J-Lo herself is not a millennial favorite, or at least with THIS generation. Like I said, when's the last time she had a hit? They could've easily gotten Solange for that! EASY. I wouldn't mind her doing Square Biz! J-Lo at 50 doing what she was famous for in 2001 is not how you celebrate Motown. LMAO

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 04:09 PM
What you're not getting, Stu, is that J-Lo herself is not a millennial favorite, or at least with THIS generation. Like I said, when's the last time she had a hit? They could've easily gotten Solange for that! EASY. I wouldn't mind her doing Square Biz! J-Lo at 50 doing what she was famous for in 2001 is not how you celebrate Motown. LMAO
You are making the point I just made above. You are suggesting the segment should have been done by someone who "relates" to millennials, and Marv is stating that Motown was from "yours, mine, and our parents generation" and J-Lo is still much better known and in the public spotlight to the wider public at large than Solange or Kelly Rowland [[not the main Destinys Child star) or most others I've heard mentioned and is more multi talented based on her dancing ability which is the kind of segment NARAS was looking for... Was never going to please everyone, but I still maintain that the main issue is more political and personal than artistic... although of the thousands of songs recorded at Motown by dozens of artists and groups...some folks are even bitching on social media sites that a certain song or group wasn't included in a 10 minute segment...everybody's a freaking critic/producer...Just my take. Those looking for more Motown "purity" should watch the upcoming Motown Grammy 60th anniversary special slated for telecast in April... As opposed to a brief segment, it will be able to include artists from across a wide spectrum...and people are even starting to bitch about THAT show, even before it has been taped about who is or isn't included... Reminds me of what I was told in private when I was doing the Funk Brothers Hollywood Star that specifically "Motown" events often result in conflicts, outside issues, and problems with the people involved, although I won't get specific here, and I rode that ceremony hard and really had to iron fist it despite some folks trying to mess it up, thus my Funk Brothers event came off without a hitch, although not always the case... Anyways...time to move on...Grammy's 2019 is over. Did think that Alicia Keyes did a very good upbeat job...

jobeterob
02-11-2019, 06:33 PM
It’s 2019, social media, everyone has an opinion and lots of people just plain want to bitch and whine because they feel better attacking others and not being positive

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 08:25 PM
It’s 2019, social media, everyone has an opinion and lots of people just plain want to bitch and whine because they feel better attacking others and not being positive
I agree... Wasn't it Jack Ashford who stated [[ I was there to hear it with my very ears and see it with my very eyes), Motown didn't make records for white people. Motown didn't make records for black people. Motown made records for everyone on the planet...

luke
02-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Why are people haters who revere Motown and have a different opinion about the show. I don’t get it. Sherri Sheppard hosting Wendy Williams today not pleased with Motown tribute and audience agreed with her. She felt at least Gladys and Diana should have sung in the tribute. I agree. It’s hard to believe sometimes this is a Motown forum when people who love Motown have an opinion for more Motowners and soul artists to sing their music and get blasted. [[As an aside I just can’t picture Mary or Martha or Diana or Gladys when they were younger dancing around in sequined tutus. They are classy ladies and Diana has spoken out against “ bumping and grinding etc)

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Why are people haters who revere Motown and have a different opinion about the show. I don’t get it. Sherri Sheppard hosting Wendy Williams today not pleased with Motown tribute and audience agreed with her. She felt at least Gladys and Diana should have sung in the tribute. I agree. It’s hard to believe sometimes this is a Motown forum when people who love Motown have an opinion for more Motowners and soul artists to sing their music and get blasted. [[As an aside I just can’t picture Mary or Martha or Diana or Gladys when they were younger dancing around in sequined tutus. They are classy ladies and Diana has spoken out against “ bumping and grinding etc)
I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. They don't usually do their routine dressed as Moms Mabley… and Joey Heatherton wore much more revealing outfits on television in the 60's... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Beyonc%C3%A9_e_Jay-Z.jpg [[https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj2rv-sjrXgAhUoITQIHTXjAxEQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBeyonc %25C3%25A9&psig=AOvVaw148Jb8by299bGCwdvBYmzx&ust=1550023679475705)

midnightman
02-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.

luke
02-11-2019, 10:24 PM
Diana wouldn’t have liked Beyoncé dancing in a tutu either to a Motown music tribute according to what she’s said in the past. If Gladys had sung should she have worn hot pants?

luke
02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Exactly Midnightman

Guy
02-11-2019, 10:44 PM
I was very entertained by JLo's tribute; in the same way I enjoyed "Motown The Musical" - - for the spectacle. I thought it was nicely choreographed and she looked wonderful -- and I thought it was very tasteful. Why wouldn't she do a booty-shaking Latin dance to "Another Star"? That's what Stevie made it for. It was completely appropriate! Motown's legacy includes Marvin Gaye and Rick James so it wasn't all bible study all the time. I also appreciate that the Grammys got a genuine "star" to pay tribute to Motown. There are many [[many!) better singers but few stars in JLo's orbit.

I feel sorry that JLo clearly invested her time and energy to be at her dazzling best and yet it invited so much negativity. Clearly she is NOT a singer but it didn't take 25 years to figure that out.

midnightman
02-11-2019, 10:59 PM
I just found out J. Lo's tribute was produced by the people who help her Vegas show. So it was a calculating move to begin with.

marv2
02-11-2019, 11:08 PM
I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. They don't usually do their routine dressed as Moms Mabley… and Joey Heatherton wore much more revealing outfits on television in the 60's... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Beyonc%C3%A9_e_Jay-Z.jpg [[https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj2rv-sjrXgAhUoITQIHTXjAxEQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBeyonc %25C3%25A9&psig=AOvVaw148Jb8by299bGCwdvBYmzx&ust=1550023679475705)

Moms Mabley? Joey Heatherton? Ok Stu, watch it! You know some Millenials may be reading this and they are going to go..."Who?" LOL!!!!

marv2
02-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Does anyone think this is about race rather than the fact that JLO does not have the vocal skills to carry most Motown tunes?

marv2
02-11-2019, 11:10 PM
I just found out J. Lo's tribute was produced by the people who help her Vegas show. So it was a calculating move to begin with.

Ah HA! I said yesterday that it reminded me of a Las Vegas commercial. Makes sense now.

marv2
02-11-2019, 11:11 PM
Diana wouldn’t have liked Beyoncé dancing in a tutu either to a Motown music tribute according to what she’s said in the past. If Gladys had sung should she have worn hot pants?

I would not care to see a 74 year old woman wearing hot pants. LOL! I do get the point you are making. Motown was about class. That's why they had Artist Development.

marv2
02-11-2019, 11:14 PM
I was very entertained by JLo's tribute; in the same way I enjoyed "Motown The Musical" - - for the spectacle. I thought it was nicely choreographed and she looked wonderful -- and I thought it was very tasteful. Why wouldn't she do a booty-shaking Latin dance to "Another Star"? That's what Stevie made it for. It was completely appropriate! Motown's legacy includes Marvin Gaye and Rick James so it wasn't all bible study all the time. I also appreciate that the Grammys got a genuine "star" to pay tribute to Motown. There are many [[many!) better singers but few stars in JLo's orbit.

I feel sorry that JLo clearly invested her time and energy to be at her dazzling best and yet it invited so much negativity. Clearly she is NOT a singer but it didn't take 25 years to figure that out.

Whether she knows it now or not, she has severely hurt her reputation and will most definitely loose a portion of her fan base after this. She still has years left in her career if she wants that.

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.
You're obviously not seeing some of the outright HYSTERIA some folks are expressing over this...a freaking Grammy segment. That's what's happening to our entire society today...EVERYBODY goes nuts about everything. Everyone is outraged about everything. remember...When EVERYTHING is an outrage...NOTHING is an outrage...

StuBass1
02-11-2019, 11:39 PM
I would not care to see a 74 year old woman wearing hot pants. LOL! I do get the point you are making. Motown was about class. That's why they had Artist Development.
Disagree...the haters now hated her then... I believe she enhanced her reputation...but she's worth over 300 million dollars, so if she gives a shit, she's more nuts than those going bonkers over this...:D

Boogiedown
02-12-2019, 01:05 AM
I can assure you that had Beyoncé done this segment dressed like J-Lo [[who was dressed as dancers tend to dress) there would be none of this outrage. ... The outrage is about the changing demographics of Watts, South Central, and Compton over the past 5 decades...

That the best choice [[apparently) from all American singers possible these days to interpret Motown [[!) is a Latina speaks volumes and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone following current trends.

Just as it's equally telling that all the alternate choices mentioned here in this thread are female.

If I were a conspiracist I would say how telling it is that Lopez opened her sequence with DANCING IN THE STREET.

As for me , I don't believe for a second that J-Lo did the gig to represent Motown. No, she did it to represent herself as is evidenced in the way she presented the material. She and Adam Levine both seem to think [[correctly?) the highlight of their performances is when they invoke their sexuality by removing clothing to parade around while wearing less. I think she'd take the same gig if it were a Capital Records , a CBS Records, an RCA Records or any other record label's review. And perform it exactly this same way to boot.

That Smokey Robinson was stuck in there as some sort of Motown asterisk was the ultimate insult.

Never should have been Lopez period.

Here's what I would've done , were it my decision to make. It's a Grammy show honoring Motown . Why not incorporate the two , have Smokey stand there and introduce each Grammy winning Motown song from first to last and as it briefly plays, show accompanying footage of the artists either accepting their award or performing the song from back in the day of its popularity.

This is rough concept, I'm sure better minds could fine tune it. But it least it would have been respectful and purposeful to the task , beyond having a middle-aged woman prancing around on stage amongst smoke and flashing lights trying to show us how wonderful she [[rather than the music) is.

Guy
02-12-2019, 01:24 AM

JLo's whole CAREER as a recording artist and performer is a calculated move. She is not a singer, musician or songwriter. She is a beautiful woman and competent dancer who has exceeded all expectations of who and what she could be as an entertainer.

Her career will only be helped by this. Her fans are fans of her image and celebrity not necessarily her music. Her fanbase certainly does not include Motown purists or music fans who support R&B/Soul artists.

She is Lola Falana not Aretha Franklin.

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 01:41 AM
That the best choice [[apparently) from all American singers possible these days to interpret Motown [[!) is a Latina speaks volumes and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone following current trends.

Just as it's equally telling that all the alternate choices mentioned here in this thread are female.

If I were a conspiracist I would say how telling it is that Lopez opened her sequence with DANCING IN THE STREET.

As for me , I don't believe for a second that J-Lo did the gig to represent Motown. No, she did it to represent herself as is evidenced in the way she presented the material. She and Adam Levine both seem to think [[correctly?) the highlight of their performances is when they invoke their sexuality by removing clothing to parade around while wearing less. I think she'd take the same gig if it were a Capital Records , a CBS Records, an RCA Records or any other record label's review. And perform it exactly this same way to boot.

That Smokey Robinson was stuck in there as some sort of Motown asterisk was the ultimate insult.

Never should have been Lopez period.

Here's what I would've done , were it my decision to make. It's a Grammy show honoring Motown . Why not incorporate the two , have Smokey stand there and introduce each Grammy winning Motown song from first to last and as it briefly plays, show accompanying footage of the artists either accepting their award or performing the song from back in the day of its popularity.

This is rough concept, I'm sure better minds could fine tune it. But it least it would have been respectful and purposeful to the task , beyond having a middle-aged woman prancing around on stage amongst smoke and flashing lights trying to show us how wonderful she [[rather than the music) is.
Yet another aspiring "producer" heard from...LOL...No offense intended, but I'm ROTFLMAO...Do you think for a minute that J-Lo decided what to wear and how the performance would be structured, what songs to include and what dance moves she and the plethora of chorus dancers would perform, etc???...LOL... I was involved with NARAS on one of these Grammy segments, and trust me...they do it THEIR way with their own producers, choreographers, directors, costume designers, set designers, etc...Beyond perhaps consulting Berry Gordy and Smokey on the selection of talent for the segment...NARAS has their own people working for the months leading to the actual show on these Grammy segments...so I don't understand your point that somehow J-Lo planned, choreographed, or directed that segment???...No way...she may have had some input on certain elements once rehearsals started, but you're giving her WAY too much credit for the way the segment was presented...

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 01:43 AM
JLo's whole CAREER as a recording artist and performer is a calculated move. She is not a singer, musician or songwriter. She is a beautiful woman and competent dancer who has exceeded all expectations of who and what she could be as an entertainer.

Her career will only be helped by this. Her fans are fans of her image and celebrity not necessarily her music. Her fanbase certainly does not include Motown purists or music fans who support R&B/Soul artists.

She is Lola Falana not Aretha Franklin.
Good comparison...J-Jo to Lola...although J-Lo is a more accomplished actress than Lola...and a lot richer...

Boogiedown
02-12-2019, 02:03 AM
Yet another aspiring "producer" heard from...LOL...No offense intended, but I'm ROTFLMAO...Do you think for a minute that J-Lo decided what to wear and how the performance would be structured, what songs to include and what dance moves she and the plethora of chorus dancers would perform, etc???...LOL... I was involved with NARAS on one of these Grammy segments, and trust me...they do it THEIR way with their own producers, choreographers, directors, costume designers,etc...Beyond perhaps consulting Berry Gordy and Smokey on the selection of talent for the segment...NARAS has their own people working for the months leading to the actual show on these Grammy segments...so I don't understand your point that somehow J-Lo planned, choreographed, or directed that segment???...No way...she may have had some input on certain elements once rehearsals started, but you're giving her WAY too much credit for the way the segment was presented...
Stu , I think you are making my point, the Motown music was being used simply as a vehicle to present J-Lo , not the other way around , which should have been the essence of the project.

And no offense, I know nothing about NARAS but they sound like awful people to dress a fifty year old woman in bedroom costumes and force her to parade around a stage like that.

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 02:17 AM
Stu , I think you are making my point, the Motown music was being used simply as a vehicle to present J-Lo , not the other way around , which should have been then essence of the project.
That's on NARAS...It was a Grammy show...not a Motown show, although with the Diana Ross segment, a lot of Motown representation was involved, and they did promo the upcoming Motown Special quite a bit during the telecast...Don't forget...they have an entire Motown special coming up...taping tomorrow night for an April telecast...I believe they selected J-Lo because they believed she would be a good fit and of course, bring in viewers they want... Ratings were about the same as last year, nothing great but not horrible... I also assume that they did not want to overexpose the artists included in the Motown special they are doing... I can divulge now [[that I'd not given the details for before this) that they planned a segment to honor The Funk Brothers in 2005 after I did the nomination for their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. They proposed a segment with Stevie Wonder and Michael McDonald backed by the Funk Brothers...Why Michael McDonald???... That was NARAS decision. Michael agreed immediately, but Stevie ducked and dodged...actually running out the back door when some folks came to personally appeal to him to participate...NARAS don't mess around and didn't try to find a replacement for Stevie...They saw the segment a certain way and when Stevie refused to participate [[which was quite disappointing to me personally) and I learned of the details after it was too late...they ditched the segment and instead put in a Luther Vandross tribute [[Luther was ailing but had not yet passed at that time)… NARAS does things THEIR way... I did receive a nice note from Neil Portnow, but they don't beg anybody...they move on, which made me understand that much better why they ultimately told Ariana Grande to go pound sand when she insisted on doing things her way, claiming she could put a number together overnight. Sorry...they don't work like that Missy...

jobeterob
02-12-2019, 02:35 AM
From Susaye on Facebook

The point to me about Motown was that it crossed races, genres, and overturned the status quo in the music industry. It was Berry Gordy’s dream to make Black music accessible to all people and to take the soul of Motown’s artists to the world. He made Black artists able to travel the world and spread their music and soulful class everywhere. We all know that the basis of most American music is black music. But the gift of Motown was that it changed the”Sound of Young America “ forever. Artists like Lulu, Dusty Springfield, and so many others would have never come about had it not been for Motown. We have not forgotten that Mary Wells and for that matter Diana Ross and the Supremes were chosen because of the accessibility of their voices to other races. So the fact that JLo, one of the biggest stars in the world [[whether she is one’s flavor or not) was overjoyed to do this tribute because it was her mother’s favorite music that she played for her as a youngster. Music [[ the emotional effects of it) belongs to us all, hopefully, and Motown music resonates to the world. That is why it was so successful. We each have our faves; we each have our jams and our tunes that “take us there.” I still get that chill at the beginning strains of the Temptations “Get Ready”, I still have to get up off my chair when “Dancing In The Street” comes on. I still get a thrill when those mighty handclaps start on “Where Did Our Love Go” and friends and family around the world tell me they get that feeling too, regardless of age or race or background. It was their childhood, or their teenagerey or their obsession or simple joy. So! JLo may have added her Latin flair to the mix, and Vegas spark, but Berry Gordy and Motown couldn’t wait to get his artists into those Vegas showrooms to make Motown mainstream. It’s mainstream now, so everyone gets a go. Love to all, Susaye

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 02:40 AM
Very well said Susaye...I couldn't have said it better myself...

midnightman
02-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Does anyone think this is about race rather than the fact that JLO does not have the vocal skills to carry most Motown tunes?

I saw many bring up the racial hurdles Motown had to climb to become a universally accepted industry and thought J Lo was "cheapening it" by adding salsa to ABC.

ralpht
02-12-2019, 01:19 PM
You're obviously not seeing some of the outright HYSTERIA some folks are expressing over this...a freaking Grammy segment. That's what's happening to our entire society today...EVERYBODY goes nuts about everything. Everyone is outraged about everything. remember...When EVERYTHING is an outrage...NOTHING is an outrage...
Well put Stu,,,

johnjeb
02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
I liked the Motown tribute by Jennifer Lopez. I especially liked that early 60s songs were featured. I don't follow current music, nor have I the past 20+ years, but it seems like most of the performers seem to wear skimpy costumes. I'm glad Motown got recognized.

When Ed Sullivan broadcast an Irving Berlin tribute show in 1968 Diana Ross and The Supremes did an updated version of the love ballad "Always". My parents immediate reaction was that they "ruined" a beautiful song. lol They did feel The Supremes "redeemed" themselves with the medley of Irving Berlin songs sung as they were written.

I think I will play them the clip and see what their reaction is 50 years later. I think my mother will enjoy it but my father will stubbornly stick to his first reaction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NglN3ja_syE

thommg
02-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Just adding my two cents to the discussion.... I wasn't annoyed that Jennifer Lopez did the tribute. I was annoyed that they focused on her when Ne-Yo was playing and singing. I was annoyed that it had far too much focus on the butt. I liked the idea of using songs that are not typically used to showcase the Motown sound. Motown crossed boundaries and racial lines. It would have been nice to see that represented by having a true Motown artist start off the tribute then add people of other cultures into the mix so we could see the far reaching of the Motown sound. They didn't really think through the tribute and ended up with a Vegas showroom presentation. But, I felt that way about a lot of the mash-ups presented on the broadcast - they just didn't think them through and they all looked thrown together without enough rehearsal. At least J-Lo looked professional.

midnightman
02-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Just adding my two cents to the discussion.... I wasn't annoyed that Jennifer Lopez did the tribute. I was annoyed that they focused on her when Ne-Yo was playing and singing. I was annoyed that it had far too much focus on the butt. I liked the idea of using songs that are not typically used to showcase the Motown sound. Motown crossed boundaries and racial lines. It would have been nice to see that represented by having a true Motown artist start off the tribute then add people of other cultures into the mix so we could see the far reaching of the Motown sound. They didn't really think through the tribute and ended up with a Vegas showroom presentation. But, I felt that way about a lot of the mash-ups presented on the broadcast - they just didn't think them through and they all looked thrown together without enough rehearsal. At least J-Lo looked professional.

Like I said, J Lo's Vegas producers were behind the Grammy Motown tribute.

Mark Desjardines
02-12-2019, 04:19 PM
I watch and tape the Grammy Awards and honestly have been bored with the last few years. I have to say I rather enjoyed this year's emphasis on female content. I am fully aware of the J Lo Motown tribute controversy, and agree it should have been more connected to Motown. However, I want to make the point that all the controversy that this misstep has caused, is drawing a LOT of attention to the 60th anniversary of Motown coming up, and isn't any publicity good for the cause? Let's hope the producers get that right!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Like I said, J Lo's Vegas producers were behind the Grammy Motown tribute.
Yup...they planned the entire thing up on the grassy knoll...LOL

marv2
02-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I watch and tape the Grammy Awards and honestly have been bored with the last few years. I have to say I rather enjoyed this year's emphasis on female content. I am fully aware of the J Lo Motown tribute controversy, and agree it should have been more connected to Motown. However, I want to make the point that all the controversy that this misstep has caused, is drawing a LOT of attention to the 60th anniversary of Motown coming up, and isn't any publicity good for the cause? Let's hope the producers get that right!

Mark, true. All kinds of people are talking about Motown now.

marv2
02-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Agree...but others on this very thread are saying that they are Millenials and the tribute should have been geared toward them and current popular culture...Others say it should have been some 80 year old singing Motown oldies while hanging onto their walkers... Should Motown die with it's artists, or should the genre be passed along to others from ALL ages, genres, races, and ethnicities, which is partially what was intended with this tribute... As I said...there are some deep seeded societal issues at play here... Those here in SoCal would understand...Look at the makeup of Watts, Compton, South Central 50 years ago and today and see what changes occurred. The issues become clear and once common enemies [[for the sake of electoral and political convenience) disappear, the widely understood conflicts begin to emerge... As I said...Lady Gaga doing that same segment would have elicited a mere fraction of the vitriol we are seeing today...

If they had a bit more time, it would have nice to invite all of the surviving Classic Motown Artist up on stage to sing the company song...." Oh We are a very swinging company....." LOL!!!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 05:46 PM
If they had a bit more time, it would have nice to invite all of the surviving Classic Motown Artist up on stage to sing the company song...." Oh We are a very swinging company....." LOL!!!
The Grammys, like most of the awards shows have always been an easy target...some of which well deserved, however, Motown received it's well deserved fair share of the 2019 edition attention, from the Diana tribute segment to the Motown tribute segment, Michelle Obama's shoutout, frequent promos for the upcoming Motown 60th anniversary special to many affiliated Motown people sitting in the primo up front seating at the event [[I even recognized a few minor Motown players and associates like road managers all dressed up sitting in the front row)...yet many will still find reasons to bitch, moan, and complain...Plus, not just here...but on other sites and Facebook posts...EVERYBODY is a "producer" who could have put together a better segment spelled out in great detail in many cases including what songs out of the thousands recorded at Motown should have been included and folks were personally insulted that THEIR favorite song was not included... I'm waiting for the accusation that the entire NARAS organization is a Mafia front...Once again, Ricky Nelsons Garden Party lyrics come to mind..."You can't please everyone, so you've gotta please yourself"...

marv2
02-12-2019, 06:09 PM
The Grammys, like most of the awards shows have always been an easy target...some of which well deserved, however, Motown received it's well deserved fair share of the 2019 edition attention, from the Diana tribute segment to the Motown tribute segment, Michelle Obama's shoutout, frequent promos for the upcoming Motown 60th anniversary special to many affiliated Motown people sitting in the primo up front seating at the event [[I even recognized a few minor Motown players and associates like road managers all dressed up sitting in the front row)...yet many will still find reasons to bitch, moan, and complain...Plus, not just here...but on other sites and Facebook posts...EVERYBODY is a "producer" who could have put together a better segment spelled out in great detail in many cases including what songs out of the thousands recorded at Motown should have been included and folks were personally insulted that THEIR favorite song was not included... I'm waiting for the accusation that the entire NARAS organization is a Mafia front...Once again, Ricky Nelsons Garden Party lyrics come to mind..."You can't please everyone, so you've gotta please yourself"...

Well, they did give Milli Vanilli a Grammy..................LOL!!!!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Well, they did give Milli Vanilli a Grammy..................LOL!!!!
Yeah...but who knew???

marv2
02-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Yeah...but who knew???

I know right. I was suppose to attend the Grammys in 1988 but got snowed in Michigan. That was the only time I was going to see it in person. I use to watch it every year up until about 1996 or so. I don't have anything at all against NARAS as an organization.

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 06:47 PM
While they begin planning for this telecast months in advance...the real work takes place in the month or two leading up once they figure out who's gonna be who. Can you imagine the work going into, even that opening segment they did with Ricky Martin, J Balvin and the great Arturo Sandoval...from the choregraphy, to the set design, to organizing the participants...and that's just one segment, which is what cheeses me about that little brat Ariana Grande who was insisting that SHE would put something together at the last minute and they should insert it into the show. She was rightfully told to go pound sand and get back to random donut licking...

marv2
02-12-2019, 06:59 PM
While they begin planning for this telecast months in advance...the real work takes place in the month or two leading up once they figure out who's gonna be who. Can you imagine the work going into, even that opening segment they did with Ricky Martin, J Balvin and the great Arturo Sandoval...from the choregraphy, to the set design, to organizing the participants...and that's just one segment, which is what cheeses me about that little brat Ariana Grande who was insisting that SHE would put something together at the last minute and they should insert it into the show. She was rightfully told to go pound sand and get back to random donut licking...

I do not like Ariana Grande either. She is very overrated. I also don't like the practice the Grammy has of putting a crowd of shouting people sectioned off near the stage.

midnightman
02-12-2019, 08:01 PM
I'm all over this but I see Smoke can't let this go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmH9PDclJEc

It's okay to admit you want that booty, Smoke. :)
It's all about the talent to me and Smoke, she didn't have it.

But if you wanna make it about race, then be my guest! They think he's a c**n for this but I had no issue with a NB performing Motown. Just didn't need a Salsa version of the Motown Sound lol

Would've been nice if she did You Beat Me to the Punch though. That had calypso in it. Lol

midnightman
02-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Mark, true. All kinds of people are talking about Motown now.

Least something good came out of this. Maybe that was the plan all along.

People are reminded "wow, Motown was a revolution!" All due to the power of publicity.

midnightman
02-12-2019, 08:23 PM

Ariana wanted to get in the Latin segment??? She does horrible versions of "black" music herself [[way worse than J. Lo I might add, who did do some decent hip-hop/R&B in the beginning of her music career despite the fact she's a two-note vocalist lol).

LOL at "random donut licking".

midnightman
02-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Yeah...but who knew???

Didn't their vocal track skip when they were live on tour and it was broadcast on TV? Fabrice Morvan has said it wasn't a big deal but that's not what Rob Pilatus said [[can't find the Behind the Music clip but here's what he said verbatim at the time, eight years after the fact:

"I wanted to die. It stopped. [Singing]Girl you know it's, girl you know it's... I couldn't repeat it 50 times. It got all weird so I stopped, I ran off stage. Julie Brown, who used to work for MTV, ran after me. I didn't care. 80,000 people waited. I said 'I had enough, I quit.'"

Also, I think the "real" Milli Vanilli were going out to the press to talk about how they really sang on the track. But I guess to Arista and the music industry, they were just lying... until their producer said "yeah they ain't singing on it". Lol

marv2
02-12-2019, 08:47 PM

But if you wanna make it about race, then be my guest! They think he's a c**n for this but I had no issue with a NB performing Motown. Just didn't need a Salsa version of the Motown Sound lol

Would've been nice if she did You Beat Me to the Punch though. That had calypso in it. Lol

He needs to move on from this now or it is going to get ugly based on comments I've read around in social media. He had his say now please Uncle Smokey, say no more!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Tell it Smokey...Motown was created for everyone on the planet to enjoy and participate in...Tell Joe Messina that his guitar shouldn't have played those amazing backbeats, tell Babbitt that his basslines on Inner City Blues or Signed, Sealed, Delivered, what business did Rare Earth ever have to record Get Ready, or what if Harry Balk never ascended to the head of Motown to CONVINCE Berry top release Whats Going On...

midnightman
02-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Well, another Motown legend just spoke and, uh... let's just say she DOESN'T share Smokey's utopia LOL

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRzfVdM1/hu.png

That message was from Marvelette Katherine Anderson-Schaffner.

marv2
02-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Tell it Smokey...Motown was created for everyone on the planet to enjoy and participate in...Tell Joe Messina that his guitar shouldn't have played those amazing backbeats, tell Babbitt that his basslines on Inner City Blues or Signed, Sealed, Delivered, what business did Rare Earth ever have to record Get Ready, or what if Harry Balk never ascended to the head of Motown to CONVINCE Berry top release Whats Going On...

You forgot Dennis Coffey.

marv2
02-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Well, another Motown legend just spoke and, uh... let's just say she DOESN'T share Smokey's utopia LOL

Miss Kat! I have number in my phone, but I am afraid to call her now. LOL!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 09:20 PM
You forgot Dennis Coffey.
Dennis was terrific and MANY musicians including my own brother who played flute in the woodwind session on For Once In My Life and arranged several Motown albums and wrote and produced the theme song for the Motown film the Last Dragon and produced The Commodores and Temptations and literally dozens of musicians from various ethnicities Hell...Irene Ryan [[Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) recorded for Motown... I wasn't meaning to slight anyone among the dozens of Motowners from various walks of life... Mentioned Joe and Bob as members of the legal entity known as The Funk Brothers who were instrumental in Motowns success. So many others played with the Funk Brothers and had a great impact on the label over the years...

marv2
02-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Dennis was terrific and MANY musicians including my own brother who played flute in the woodwind session on For Once In My Life and arranged several Motown albums and wrote and produced the theme song for the Motown film the Last Dragon and produced The Commodores and Temptations and literally dozens of musicians from various ethnicities Hell...Irene Ryan [[Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) recorded for Motown... I wasn't meaning to slight anyone among the dozens of Motowners from various walks of life... Mentioned Joe and Bob as members of the legal entity known as The Funk Brothers who were instrumental in Motowns success. So many others played with the Funk Brothers and had a great impact on the label over the years...

What do you think about the Marvelettes not being invited to another Motown anniversary celebration?

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 09:37 PM
As performers???... I saw them on one of TJ Lubinskys shows several years ago and they were pretty much up to their limit. Once again...I have no personal involvement or interest in any of this, so I trust they will invite those they feel should be invited and not invite those for whatever reason they choose not to invite. As evidenced by this most recent dust up...they will NEVER please everyone, so do what they do and the proof will be in the pudding, although all the amateur "producers" are sure to have their say...

marv2
02-12-2019, 09:39 PM
As performers???... I saw them on one of TJ Lubinskys shows several years ago and they were pretty much up to their limit. Once again...I have no personal involvement or interest in any of this, so I trust they will invite those they feel should be invited and not invite those for whatever reason they choose not to invite. As evidenced by this most recent dust up...they will NEVER please everyone, so do what they do and the proof will be in the pudding, although all the amateur "producers" are sure to have their say...

No. I mean as honorees, alumni and the artists that gave Motown it's first number one hit.

midnightman
02-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Uh.... they were great artists.

Again, race has nothing to do with why Lopez is getting criticized or if it's one element, it's not the main one.

luke
02-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Well said Katherine!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Ive had discussions on this with Patricia Washington and understand she has strong feelings. I just happen to disaagree with her, but like anyone else, is entitled to her opinion. After admitting that she did not watch the J-Lo performance but commenting on it as Katherine from The Marvelettes did only illustrates a very subjective opinion based on nothing but a photograph. I certainly appreciate her contribution to the Motown Sound, however, harking back 55 years to a different day and time when the ladies wore their skirts below the knee is much different than contemporary mores of today, and thankfully, she didn't have to witness Cardi b's performance and outfit...Times change...As for the question of who is invited...I have no idea what the criteria is...I know there are always limitations to these things. I was in charge of one Motown event and had to actually inform a certain member of a certain well known female group that I could not accomodate her for admission into a certain VIP area and felt bad about it in addition to other people I could not accommodate, but ultimately, just decided to accept the fact that in the end...to some folks, I would have to be the "bad guy...but I had my limitations. These things happen. I'm sure Motown will include those they can who they feel should be there, but there are always situations that most of us aren't aware of that influence other decisions...Once again...you can't please everyone...Do your show and move on...

luke
02-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Marv if you talk to Katherine tell her she has support!

midnightman
02-12-2019, 11:13 PM
It's not controversial to say Motown was a predominantly black record label that revolutionized the world and it appealed to everyone and still diss J Lo. :)

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Uh.... they were great artists.

Again, race has nothing to do with why Lopez is getting criticized or if it's one element, it's not the main one.
Different people may have different motivations behind their opinions. I can tell you for CERTAIN that I've come across MANY people on both Facebook and YouTube...MANY people who have come right out and criticized the selection of J-Lo because they believe that only a Black artist should be doing that tribute...they admit it and don't hide it. I suspect some others who cite different reasons actually feel the same way, and some may sincerely believe that someone else could have put on a better performance and are disappointed that NARAS didn't seek them out to produce the segment...I can't speak for everyone and folks can explain their position the way they want and everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of their stated reasoning...however, I also suspect that some folks would rather see an 80 year old performer trying to sing songs with notes they can't begin to hit leaning on their walker than to accept the fact that J-Lo, a Latina was given the slot to perform the segment... That said...nobody is going to die as a result of this performance and it's funny that a 10 minute performance halfway to Mars by now is still being debated...LOL

midnightman
02-12-2019, 11:30 PM
MJ controversy led Grammys to change their plans on Motown celebration:
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2019/02/12/grammys-jennifer-lopez-motown-tribute/2852604002/

THAT'S WHY it changed so much.

Also Stevie was initially part of it but then dropped out [[who knows if it was related to MJ or not; I know he's supposed to be in the actual Motown tribute show). Berry Gordy was also part of the planning lol

I think that's why Smokey is defending the decision lmao :)

So I think I'm finally getting a clue on why they asked Lopez. I know many won't agree with why but eh, they had to do what they do, I guess.

But this is why America is a great country. You can have differing opinions as long as it don't turn into divisive screaming matches. I'm pretty much seeing both sides of the argument though I can agree to disagree on some elements. :)

midnightman
02-12-2019, 11:32 PM
Different people may have different motivations behind their opinions. I can tell you for CERTAIN that I've come across MANY people on both Facebook and YouTube...MANY people who have come right out and criticized the selection of J-Lo because they believe that only a Black artist should be doing that tribute...they admit it and don't hide it. I suspect some others who cite different reasons actually feel the same way, and some may sincerely believe that someone else could have put on a better performance and are disappointed that NARAS didn't seek them out to produce the segment...I can't speak for everyone and folks can explain their position the way they want and everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of their stated reasoning...however, I also suspect that some folks would rather see an 80 year old performer trying to sing songs with notes they can't begin to hit leaning on their walker than to accept the fact that J-Lo, a Latina was given the slot to perform the segment... That said...nobody is going to die as a result of this performance and it's funny that a 10 minute performance halfway to Mars by now is still being debated...LOL

Most think because it's black history and Motown's history consisted on making a bunch of black musicians world famous icons that they felt black artists were being "shut out". Maybe it's humorous to you but it's not really that much of a baseless complaint. Someone said in another thread that they talked to a Latino worker after the show how they would feel if an R&B artist had done a tribute to a Latino artist and they suddenly were like "oh OK I get it now."

I mean I think it's a complex issue, least on my end, it is!

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 11:40 PM
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2019/02/12/grammys-jennifer-lopez-motown-tribute/2852604002/
If according to Brian McCollum who I've had dealings with in the past and is a credible reporter is correct, apparently this Neverland thing on cable [[which I've not seen) created a backlash, either by MJ's family or NARAS not wanting to become embroiled in a serious controversy is understandable... These segments are not put together in a week...way too many end to pull together...set design, musical arrangements, backup singers and dancers, producers and choreographers, etc, etc, etc...and could never have been pulled together from scratch in such short time, so It's completely understandable for them to have stuck that already produced and rehearsed segment into the Grammy telecast... Otherwise, they would have had to slap some much less produced segment into the show that would not have had a Motown flair, or shortened the show... I imagine that changes then had to be made to tonights Motown 60 taping...

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Most think because it's black history and Motown's history consisted on making a bunch of black musicians world famous icons that they felt black artists were being "shut out". Maybe it's humorous to you but it's not really that much of a baseless complaint. Someone said in another thread that they talked to a Latino worker after the show how they would feel if an R&B artist had done a tribute to a Latino artist and they suddenly were like "oh OK I get it now."

I mean I think it's a complex issue, least on my end, it is!
If you look at it through a narrow lens, then yes, you could make a case that is cut and dry...but you are now contradicting yourself from two posts up where you stated that race has "nothing" to do with Lopez getting criticized, and now you are making the case that race IS the prime factor based on your anecdote about the Latino worker you mentioned. You are entitled to your feelings based on whatever reason you maintain, but like the weather, you can't have it both ways...And finally... I'm also convinced that so many people who voiced their opposition to this J-Lo segment were so vested in their opposition, that she could have put on the greatest performance in the history of show business and most of those people were not about to admit that perhaps they jumped the gun, although I have come across a few, like Tyler Perry who originally questioned the selection, but gave the performance an enthusiastic thumbs up...

StuBass1
02-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Anyways...by now...J-Lo is still worth over 300 Million and I'm not, and I'm sure she is over it...Many others...not so much...

midnightman
02-13-2019, 12:07 AM
If according to Brian McCollum who I've had dealings with in the past and is a credible reporter is correct, apparently this Neverland thing on cable [[which I've not seen) created a backlash, either by MJ's family or NARAS not wanting to become embroiled in a serious controversy is understandable... These segments are not put together in a week...way too many end to pull together...set design, musical arrangements, backup singers and dancers, producers and choreographers, etc, etc, etc...and could never have been pulled together from scratch in such short time, so It's completely understandable for them to have stuck that already produced and rehearsed segment into the Grammy telecast... Otherwise, they would have had to slap some much less produced segment into the show that would not have had a Motown flair, or shortened the show... I imagine that changes then had to be made to tonights Motown 60 taping...

Right. This is definitely interesting. But you know it's sad, I wish some of the artists who are no longer with us, like Marvin and such could be there.

midnightman
02-13-2019, 12:08 AM
If you look at it through a narrow lens, then yes, you could make a case that is cut and dry...but you are now contradicting yourself from two posts up where you stated that race has "nothing" to do with Lopez getting criticized, and now you are making the case that race IS the prime factor based on your anecdote about the Latino worker you mentioned. You are entitled to your feelings based on whatever reason you maintain, but like the weather, you can't have it both ways...And finally... I'm also convinced that so many people who voiced their opposition to this J-Lo segment were so vested in their opposition, that she could have put on the greatest performance in the history of show business and most of those people were not about to admit that perhaps they jumped the gun, although I have come across a few, like Tyler Perry who originally questioned the selection, but gave the performance an enthusiastic thumbs up...

No, I admit I was wrong. Race definitely had something to do with it, but maybe I'm just not seeing more posts saying it. Unless you go to Lipstick Alley [[my advice: please don't lol) and you see posts calling Smokey a sell out/c**n.

marv2
02-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Marv if you talk to Katherine tell her she has support!

I'm going to tell her to bake me a pie for the next time I am in town! She makes the absolute best pies! LOL! Then I am going to hang up fast because she has very GOOD talking genes......hehehehehehehe!

marv2
02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
No, I admit I was wrong. Race definitely had something to do with it, but maybe I'm just not seeing more posts saying it. Unless you go to Lipstick Alley [[my advice: please don't lol) and you see posts calling Smokey a sell out/c**n.

Oh it is worse on Youtube. There are now countless videos up complaining about the Motown Tribute, Jennifer Lopez and Smokey Robinson now.

marv2
02-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Right. This is definitely interesting. But you know it's sad, I wish some of the artists who are no longer with us, like Marvin and such could be there.

Marvn Gaye was very upset that the Marvelettes were not invited to "Motown 25".

marv2
02-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Anyways...by now...J-Lo is still worth over 300 Million and I'm not, and I'm sure she is over it...Many others...not so much...

You got that right. She has a house here on Long Island in Brookville, one of the most expensive areas of New York.

midnightman
02-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Marvin Gaye was very upset that the Marvelettes were not invited to "Motown 25".

Not surprised!

funkcity
02-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Well put Stu,,,

Late to the party on this one!
Well, I too thought it was a non-Motown Motown show segment. But please know that the producers are TV people. They do not care about tradition. It's only about ratings. What looks good and hopefully sounds good but most importantly the ratings. Ratings which have been going down down for years on ALL Award shows.

The TV networks go crazy with a too-long show...The Grammys are over 3 hours. The Oscars had a major member revolt by sending some awards to be given during commercials to shorten the show! And it's all driven by mega-TV conglomerates who THINK they know what they're doing!

As I see it...
Motown is no more. Sucked up by Universal's UMG its just another label of the past along with Capitol, A&M, Verve and on.... The Enrichment went to the founder along with huge publishing rights. Everyone should be really happy that the memories and the music warrant a 60th anniversary celebration! And now TV and Streaming are the kings.

CoolKatz
02-17-2019, 06:56 PM
I will add that IMO it was done in poor taste! J-Lo might be a great performer in her genre but did not belong in a Motown segment.

I ask why is it when it comes to shows, segments or specials for Blacks everyone screams inclusion? The Dolly Parton segment wasn't inclusive. They didn't ask Dionne or J-Lo or to sing her songs. Who remembers when there was talk of Patti Labelle portraying Celia Cruz. It was an uproar. The inclusion and diversity is very selective.

I understand Motown was created for ALL people and intended to bring people together and in the same vain the tribute should have been done by someone who was there and actually a part of it.

This was your typical performance politics at play and nothing more!!!!!

helga
02-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Sorry but where does it say that this opinion piece came from Katherine of the Marvelettes? This seems to come from Patricia, the admin of the Marvelettes fan group. Please double check your facts before posting and attaching someone's name to something. Also, instead of her going on and being offended by Smokey's words, maybe she needs to check herself before she goes on calling J Lo, "this chick". You're allowed to not like her, but I find that kind of label on any woman also disrespectful, especially when she is an accomplished artist in her own right. It's a diminishing choice of words. So before you go off on Smokey insulting 'you', maybe try taking a step back...

I agree with Stu. Everyone wants to be grossly offended by everything these days. I can't believe this is still going on, all these days later. People need to get over themselves. Everyone makes everything so personal. People feel this personal attachment to Motown, so it becomes, "How dare they give us this lackluster tribute!!" Who cares. I tend to wonder if it was Beyonce doing the tribute instead and shaking her booty...would the reaction be the same?

marv2
02-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Sorry but where does it say that this opinion piece came from Katherine of the Marvelettes? This seems to come from Patricia, the admin of the Marvelettes fan group. Please double check your facts before posting and attaching someone's name to something. Also, instead of her going on and being offended by Smokey's words, maybe she needs to check herself before she goes on calling J Lo, "this chick". You're allowed to not like her, but I find that kind of label on any woman also disrespectful, especially when she is an accomplished artist in her own right. It's a diminishing choice of words. So before you go off on Smokey insulting 'you', maybe try taking a step back...

I agree with Stu. Everyone wants to be grossly offended by everything these days. I can't believe this is still going on, all these days later. People need to get over themselves. Everyone makes everything so personal. People feel this personal attachment to Motown, so it becomes, "How dare they give us this lackluster tribute!!" Who cares. I tend to wonder if it was Beyonce doing the tribute instead and shaking her booty...would the reaction be the same?

Helga, it says it is from Kat right at the very bottom.

helga
02-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Helga, it says it is from Kat right at the very bottom.

Marv, I see that midnightman wrote in his own post that it comes from Kat, but the screen shot he included, which comes from Facebook, does not say anything about "this comes from Kat". It's like me taking a screen shot of one of your posts from Soulful Detroit and saying it's written by Mary Wilson.

marv2
02-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Marv, I see that midnightman wrote in his own post that it comes from Kat, but the screen shot he included, which comes from Facebook, does not say anything about "this comes from Kat". It's like me taking a screen shot of one of your posts from Soulful Detroit and saying it's written by Mary Wilson.

Ok, well..............................

midnightman
02-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Don't take it with me. I got that from Lipstick Alley. Take that up with them. That was the person who said it came from Katherine.

https://media.giphy.com/media/KYNywoibU1PQ4/giphy.gif

Boogiedown
02-18-2019, 02:42 PM

THAT'S WHY it changed so much.

Also Stevie was initially part of it but then dropped out [[who knows if it was related to MJ or not; I know he's supposed to be in the actual Motown tribute show). Berry Gordy was also part of the planning lol

I think that's why Smokey is defending the decision lmao :)

So I think I'm finally getting a clue on why they asked Lopez. I know many won't agree with why but eh, they had to do what they do, I guess.

But this is why America is a great country. You can have differing opinions as long as it don't turn into divisive screaming matches. I'm pretty much seeing both sides of the argument though I can agree to disagree on some elements. :)

I'm just now reading this link. Boy this whole thing was a mess. Sounds like they just stuck it on the Grammy show at the last minute because they had a J-Lo commitment with nowhere to go. Better lost and forgotten on the Grammies than the more purposeful Motown Salute.

Also good to see someone commenting on what a great country this is when some seem to be losing sight of this.
Yes this is just freedom of discussion with different opinions of just a TV segment , but its also one of the more interesting threads in this forum in awhile which is why it has legs.
Some times you can sense something's in the air by something as simple as a TV segment , something that may get revisited in the future as an event symbolizing something more.

StuBass1
02-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Don't take it with me. I got that from Lipstick Alley. Take that up with them. That was the person who said it came from Katherine.

https://media.giphy.com/media/KYNywoibU1PQ4/giphy.gif
I've had several conversations on this topic with Patricia Washington on different venues and while I'm personally fond of Patricia "sweetpea", she is perhaps the most outspoken person I've come across in her vehement dislike of this J Lo segment.. That said...this link purported to be from a former Marvelette is almost word for word everything Patricia has previously stated...so I would assume that Patricia has had lengthy conversations with this former Marvelette Katherine, and they agree completely, or this is an echo of many statements Patricia has previously stated...

marv2
02-18-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm just now reading this link. Boy this whole thing was a mess. Sounds like they just stuck it on the Grammy show at the last minute because they had a J-Lo commitment with nowhere to go. Better lost and forgotten on the Grammies than the more purposeful Motown Salute.

Also good to see someone commenting on what a great country this is when some seem to be losing sight of this.
Yes this is just freedom of discussion with different opinions of just a TV segment , but its also one of the more interesting threads in this forum in awhile which is why it has legs.
Some times you can sense something's in the air by something as simple as a TV segment , something that may get revisited in the future as an event symbolizing something more.

Boogiedown, great observation. This "event" is still being talk about around the internet. It ignited a huge fire with some folks and to say they pissed would be an understatement.

midnightman
02-18-2019, 03:27 PM
I've had several conversations on this topic with Patricia Washington on different venues and while I'm personally fond of Patricia "sweetpea", she is perhaps the most outspoken person I've come across in her vehement dislike of this J Lo segment.. That said...this link purported to be from a former Marvelette is almost word for word everything Patricia has previously stated...so I would assume that Patricia has had lengthy conversations with this former Marvelette Katherine, and they agree completely, or this is an echo of many statements Patricia has previously stated...

Good point, Stu. I didn't think of it like that but yeah...

biggestfourtops fan
02-18-2019, 07:13 PM
His songs aren't even the best anyway. GOING TO A GOGO is so poppish. The Miracles good stuff was mostly written by real soul legends like Ivy Jo Hunter.

nativeNY63
06-26-2019, 01:56 PM

She's a better actress than singer. Think Selena. JLo is in the same camp as Janet, Madonna, Ciara; all hooks and dance. Song? Not so much.