PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye Limbo

test

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
02-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Not sure if this has ever been discussed but would anyone know if Marvin and Motown considered making a Limbo album in 1963?

woodward
02-01-2019, 04:59 PM
I have no idea what a LIMBO album might be. Please explain.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
02-01-2019, 05:24 PM
I have no idea what a LIMBO album might be. Please explain.

Well, Marvin recorded "Talking 'Bout The Limbo" and "Down And Under Where You Limbo". Was just wondering if maybe they were planning on a theme album about Limbo?

midnightman
02-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Possibly. Motown was in the habit of making thematic albums.

Quinn
02-01-2019, 07:08 PM
I'll let Keith do the talking here:
"A fast dance party number from Marvin Gaye " Do You Wanna Go With Me" features a rare solo from Earl Van Dyke as well as enthusiastic backing vocals" Under the guidance of Mickey Stevenson, Marvin built up a stock of songs of this genre." Talkin' Bout The Limbo ", " Down And Under When You Limbo", " It's Party Time", as well as the YET UNRELEASED " The Dog " recorded in 1963. It's possible Motown had a dance album in mind for him that never reached the scheduling stage".

There you have it,straight from a Motown authority. And we still have a song to look forward to. I can't stress it enough family folks, read the liner notes. Most of the things we are curious about, Keith usually has a full or partial story concerning it. It's in print. I hope this helped all inquiring minds.

midnightman
02-01-2019, 09:45 PM
I'll let Keith do the talking here:
"A fast dance party number from Marvin Gaye " Do You Wanna Go With Me" features a rare solo from Earl Van Dyke as well as enthusiastic backing vocals" Under the guidance of Mickey Stevenson, Marvin built up a stock of songs of this genre." Talkin' Bout The Limbo ", " Down And Under When You Limbo", " It's Party Time", as well as the YET UNRELEASED " The Dog " recorded in 1963. It's possible Motown had a dance album in mind for him that never reached the scheduling stage".

There you have it,straight from a Motown authority. And we still have a song to look forward to. I can't stress it enough family folks, read the liner notes. Most of the things we are curious about, Keith usually has a full or partial story concerning it. It's in print. I hope this helped all inquiring minds.

We've found our answer!

lakedistrictlad1
02-02-2019, 04:08 AM
It's seems natural that on the back of the dance hit 'Hitch Hike', Motown would structure a dance party album on Marvin. It was exactly the same with Smokey & The Miracles and their 'Doin' Mickey's Monkey' album.

arr&bee
02-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Marvin always said that it was he who started the-hitchike dance craze,and i believe him,now as for the limbo-did chubby checker do it before or after marvin?

midnightman
02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Marvin always said that it was he who started the-hitchike dance craze,and i believe him,now as for the limbo-did chubby checker do it before or after marvin?

No idea lol
But yeah MG was always credited for the hitch hike. :)