PDA

View Full Version : Spot...those....Andantes! [[THE ULTIMATE THREAD)

test

IMissFlo93
01-31-2019, 01:23 PM
This is the definitive thread to ID any whiff of the Andantes replacing, augmenting, or overdubbing Mary and Flo/Cindy [[or Mary and Diana).

Let's get ready to rumble!

blackguy69
01-31-2019, 04:33 PM
The one I’m always curious about is their version of Our Day Will Come. Was it Flo and Diana with the Andantes or was Mary singing in the background with Flo. I always assumed the Andantes were added in

bradsupremes
01-31-2019, 07:35 PM
The one I’m always curious about is their version of Our Day Will Come. Was it Flo and Diana with the Andantes or was Mary singing in the background with Flo. I always assumed the Andantes were added in

I only hear the Andantes on "Our Day Will Come." It's possible it's Mary & Flo with the Andantes, but I don't hear Mary & Flo.

jobeterob
02-01-2019, 01:57 AM
Is Run Run Run the earliest Supremes song with the andantes on it?

mowest
02-01-2019, 03:24 AM
Is Run Run Run the earliest Supremes song with the andantes on it?

According to Wikipedia, backing vocals are done by Mary, Flo, H-D-H and the Four Tops.

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
02-01-2019, 05:25 AM
What was the first track, The Supremes recording with The Andantes ?

Motown Eddie
02-01-2019, 06:29 AM
I believe that "Stop In The Name Of Love" was the first time The Andantes sang background on a Supremes recording.

144man
02-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Wouldn't the Andantes have been dubbed onto the backing track at a stage before the track was finally assigned to a particular artist?

westgrandboulevard
02-01-2019, 08:33 AM
I think 'additional voices', such as The Andantes, were generally dubbed in after lead and group voices had been recorded, if the producers felt it necessary?

However, The Andantes' voices could at times already have been on a track, if a lead voice was being used to overdub a previous lead vocal by another singer?

carlo
02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
According to Wikipedia, backing vocals are done by Mary, Flo, H-D-H and the Four Tops.

Surprised to hear this, because to me, it definitely sounds like the Andantes on Run, Run, Run, mixed in with at least one male voice.

carlo
02-01-2019, 10:29 AM
The Andantes are mixed in with Mary and Flo on "Funny How Time Slips Away". You can hear just Mary and Flo on the alternate from Motown Unreleased 1963. There may be others from that era, but it has been a while since I have re-visited those early songs.

Motown Eddie
02-01-2019, 10:46 AM
The Andantes are mixed in with Mary and Flo on "Funny How Time Slips Away". You can hear just Mary and Flo on the alternate from Motown Unreleased 1963. There may be others from that era, but it has been a while since I have re-visited those early songs.

I stand corrected for my view that "Stop! In The Name Of Love" was the first appearance of The Andantes on a Supremes recording. I've never really sat down with The Supremes' "Funny How Time Slips Away" [[and never heard the version on MU-1963). Thanks for the news Carlo.

floyjoy678
02-01-2019, 12:45 PM
I think most of the Andantes early appearances are with Mary and Flo [[Run Run Run, Stop!, My heart can't take it no more, Funny how time slips, etc). The earliest Supremes songs I can think of with just the Andantes alone are obviously the Christmas album and Any Girl In Love [[which was originally Kim Weston's track and I guess for time purposes Diana just overdubbed her vocal).

blackguy69
02-01-2019, 04:43 PM
We’re not going down this road again in regards to certain songs. I highly doubt they were on Run Run Run .

TheMotownManiac
02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
The A’s are on a lot of ‘63 sessions Including country western pop tunes some of which have been released yet

sup_fan
02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
are the Andantes on the 45 version of My Heart Can't Take It No More? or were they added to the lp version on CW&P? it is interesting to hear a few of the country tunes on the 63 unreleased cd. compare those to the released versions

Were any additional vocalists on Lovelight, aside from the grunting by the guys? do the male vocals also sing the choruses?

My Heart and a Breathtaking guy were both recorded on 12/28/62. anyone think there's a bit of vocal padding on the oooo's of Breathtaking?

also on This Is It [[from disc 2 of WDOLG expanded) there are male voices. track was laid down in July 63. Also i wonder if there are supplemental voices filling in on Bye Baby on WDOLG too.

sup_fan
02-01-2019, 05:19 PM
The A’s are on a lot of ‘63 sessions Including country western pop tunes some of which have been released yet

but they might have been added later. the Sups could have done the initial sessions by themselves in 63. then they did a few more sessions as they prepared the lp and maybe that's when the Andantes were added. so perhaps late 64 or early 65

TomatoTom123
02-01-2019, 09:29 PM
I recall The Andantes being quite prominent on "Baby Doll" from the Country, Western & Pop album. :)

144man
02-03-2019, 07:41 AM
I think 'additional voices', such as The Andantes, were generally dubbed in after lead and group voices had been recorded, if the producers felt it necessary?

However, The Andantes' voices could at times already have been on a track, if a lead voice was being used to overdub a previous lead vocal by another singer?

But on acetates such as "Pretty Little Baby/ Purple Snowflakes", "Never Say No to Your Baby", and "Don't Take Advantage of Me", the backing vocals are there on the band track before the lead vocals are added.

bradsupremes
02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I always thought the 1963 sessions for many of the Sing Country Western & Pop tracks were just Diana, Mary and Flo. Those were assumed to be intended for the shelved Sing Ballads & Blues album. After that project was abandoned, new vocals with the addition of the Andantes were added in 1964. So basically each track has two sets of different vocals [[63 vocals of just DMF and 64 vocals of DMF with the Andantes).

CoolKatz
02-09-2019, 07:24 PM
I know this is a primarily a Supremes thread , but I hear some female voices buried in the mix of the Temptations Getting Ready and Fading Away

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
02-10-2019, 01:52 AM
I know this is a primarily a Supremes thread , but I hear some female voices buried in the mix of the Temptations Getting Ready and Fading Away
It seems I recall finding out on Facebook from Louvain Demps that the Andantes did add their voices to "Get Ready." always thought I heard female voices on that one; very subtle in the mix, barely detectable, but when the backing vocals kick in behind
Eddie's lines "And I'm bringing you a love that's true/ I'm gonna try to make you love me too" you can hear some very high voices in the mix.

"Fading Away" now you got me curious.