jobeterob
01-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Looks like they enjoyed the time together

midnightman
01-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Wow. Never seen that one!

rovereab
01-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Lovely picture, no false laughter there. What a happy vibe!

Ollie9
01-25-2019, 05:38 PM
I wonder if this photo was taken before or after recording the album?.

luckyluckyme
01-25-2019, 05:56 PM
1989 cassette release MOTC-3705

marv2
01-25-2019, 06:19 PM

It is hard to tell because they did not get along when they started recording the album. I heard that they eventually settled on recording their parts seperately.

luckyluckyme
01-25-2019, 07:29 PM
It is hard to tell because they did not get along when they started recording the album. I heard that they eventually settled on recording their parts seperately.

Here's Russ Terrana's recollections of the sessions: 3:06-6:04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMt18phyFZs

marv2
01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

OMG! Russ sounds just like Berry Gordy! LOL!!!!

PeaceNHarmony
01-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Diana's a pro so she put on a happy face even Mr. Ganja thought it appropriate to smoke weed in the same room as a pregnant woman.

marv2
01-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Diana's a pro so she put on a happy face even Mr. Ganja thought it appropriate to smoke weed in the same room as a pregnant woman.

Nah, she did what she always did when she couldn't get her way. She went crying to Berry Gordy to rat Marvin Gaye out. She did that to so many people at Motown. Is there any wonder why she was so widely despised by almost everyone at Motown?

PeaceNHarmony
01-25-2019, 09:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMt18phyFZsYears ago I found this clip engaging until the part where two white guys thought it was funny that Gaye found it appropriate to smoke his weed in the presence of a pregnant woman. Nope. Not funny.

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 09:36 PM
LOL, I wondered how long it was gonna take :p

Nice picture though! :)

TheMotownManiac
01-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Only an idiot would think Diana was being difficult considering the situation. Once it was explained to Marvin about the smoke, he should have understood, it’s rude under ANY circumstances to smoke weed in front of those not wishing to expose themselves to second hand smoke. Michele Obama would have done the same thing. Any pregnant woman with a brain would - unless they were the trashy type who drink and smoke and use during pregnancy - which is probably why we have folks stupid enough to think it’s ok to do so. It’s just beyond inconsiderate.

Marvin later wished he hadn’t acted out like that.

‘’I don’t get the big deal, 90% of the Marvin/Tammi duets were recorded separately as well.

marv2
01-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Only an idiot would think Diana was being difficult considering the situation. Once it was explained to Marvin about the smoke, he should have understood, it’s rude under ANY circumstances to smoke weed in front of those not wishing to expose themselves to second hand smoke. Michele Obama would have done the same thing. Any pregnant woman with a brain would - unless they were the trashy type who drink and smoke and use during pregnancy - which is probably why we have folks stupid enough to think it’s ok to do so. It’s just beyond inconsiderate.

Marvin later wished he hadn’t acted out like that.

‘’I don’t get the big deal, 90% of the Marvin/Tammi duets were recorded separately as well.

I think it's rude to get drunk by twice the limit, then get behind the wheel of a car and drive up the road the wrong way just to take back a rented video......... Only a selfish, irresponsible idiot would do something like that......

TheMotownManiac
01-25-2019, 11:49 PM
It was 3x the limit, but that’s a cheap, silly analogy. First, Diana was drunk out of her mind and it’s likely as not that had someone pointed out to her the situation, she prolly would not have driven herself. Also, her depression and subsequent alcohol issue ran amouck with her sense and caused uncharacteristic behavior until she sought treatment and controlled it. Marvin was fully aware of his decision and was just being stubborn.

‘’I am not condoning or defending Diana’s or anyone’s drunk driving - but the situations are different.i

jobeterob
01-25-2019, 11:57 PM
Almost all duets are recorded separately

Only the demented manufacture issues but when you have no life no partner no kids, you are reduced to such things

luke
01-26-2019, 12:41 AM
Completely uncalled for.

midnightman
01-26-2019, 12:42 AM

Looks like after. Diana was rocking that Afro throughout the first few months of 1973 lol

midnightman
01-26-2019, 01:02 AM

Since I'm an Aries myself, I get their attitudes. Both Marvin and Diana were perfectionists who can easily butt heads with you. All the famous Aries celebrities have been hardnosed lol [[ask Chaka, ask Mariah, ask Elton [[AHEM, excuse me, MISS ELTON ;) ), etc.)

Diana was very germaphobic and claustrophobic. She was pregnant at the time they recorded this album and if she had a problem, YOU HEARD IT. In this case, Diana would be like Elton.

Marvin in the meantime was like Chaka Khan or Mariah: he just didn't give a damn lol
If you told him "don't do that", he look at you as if you was sharting on his carpet and then would be like "no one can tell me what to do and I'm gonna do it..." Marvin smoking weed irregardless of Diana ranting about it was Marvin being that infamously "stubborn kind of fellow".

Eventually though they did record one song together. I think the other dates were more or less because both Marvin and Diana were working so hard on their solo works and projects [[and Diana embarking on her first solo world tour in 1973) didn't help the recording process of "Diana & Marvin".

That said, I look at this Jim Britt photo session, and this was in '73 after they had finished the album, and see two people who deep down had respect and love for one another and Marvin never was shy to admit Diana was a true talent. Diana in turn admired Marvin for all of her life since first meeting him.

Here's Diana and Marvin at the studio booth with Ashford & Simpson:

TheMotownManiac
01-26-2019, 03:32 AM
They must be recording Just Say, Just Say - a beautiful ballad. No one looks too happy here.

rovereab
01-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Can we please avoid all the negatives around the creation of this album which have been aired so many times before. Let's concentrate on the fact that we have an album which for me, and I know many others, is one of their favourites. The album sold very well and, at least in the UK, we had great success with You Are Everything.

As to Diana and Marvin's personal relationship, I would like to propose that there is enough information to suggest that they got along just fine, excluding the "weed sessions". The picture above with them all looking deep in thought does not suggest a lack of happiness to me, more of a room full of massive ability who are trying to perhaps obtain the finished song from a session. Perhaps the picture was taken during the final stages of Just Say, Just Say. If it was then all of that seriousness has give us a fantastic song.

"Don't Knock Their Love"!

reese
01-26-2019, 09:02 AM
They must be recording Just Say, Just Say - a beautiful ballad. No one looks too happy here.

Or they might be recording the other A&S production, I've Come to Love You So Much.

milven
01-26-2019, 10:03 AM
I think it's rude to get drunk by twice the limit, then get behind the wheel of a car and drive up the road the wrong way just to take back a rented video......... Only a selfish, irresponsible idiot would do something like that......

It's not rude, it is dangerous and illegal to drive while inebriated on alchohol or any other drug. Thankfully, she did not crash into anyone or have occupants in her car that she could have put in danger.

But what does this have to do with a Lady who does not wish to be in the presence of someone smoking weed while she is pregnant?

RanRan79
01-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Can we please avoid all the negatives around the creation of this album which have been aired so many times before. Let's concentrate on the fact that we have an album which for me, and I know many others, is one of their favourites. The album sold very well and, at least in the UK, we had great success with You Are Everything.

As to Diana and Marvin's personal relationship, I would like to propose that there is enough information to suggest that they got along just fine, excluding the "weed sessions". The picture above with them all looking deep in thought does not suggest a lack of happiness to me, more of a room full of massive ability who are trying to perhaps obtain the finished song from a session. Perhaps the picture was taken during the final stages of Just Say, Just Say. If it was then all of that seriousness has give us a fantastic song.

Can we please? You know better. The same cast of characters are reading your post and giving you the finger at the same time.:cool:

But I agree with your post. We got a great album out of my two favorite singers. While I would have done some things differently had I produced it, I think the album turned out fine and would've been an even bigger hit had Diana and Marvin done some public promotion together, namely television performances to promote the single.

RanRan79
01-26-2019, 12:21 PM
It's not rude, it is dangerous and illegal to drive while inebriated on alchohol or any other drug. Thankfully, she did not crash into anyone or have occupants in her car that she could have put in danger.

But what does this have to do with a Lady who does not wish to be in the presence of someone smoking weed while she is pregnant?

Because it's easier to point out Diana's disgusting behavior than it is to say "I may not like the lady but on this one she was right and he was wrong". That would be putting your big boy drawz on and standing on right vs wrong. I love them both but in the instance of Marvin smoking weed around a pregnant Diana, I have to admit that he was the dick in the situation. In the instance of Diana drinking and driving, I have to admit that she was a piece of trash for doing that. She could've killed someone, including herself. That's me being objective. Some people are incapable of that.

Ollie9
01-26-2019, 03:42 PM
In the instance of Diana drinking and driving, I have to admit that she was a piece of trash for doing that. She could've killed someone, including herself. That's me being objective. Some people are incapable of that.

I do admire your honesty in speaking out RanRan. 12 years ago next month a dear friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver who happened to be female. There really is no excuse.

midnightman
01-26-2019, 08:34 PM

Probably a long day in the studio. They look more tired than unhappy... just notice Marvin with what looks like a joint in his hand lol

midnightman
01-26-2019, 08:36 PM

Right. I just think they're tired though but they might be deep in thought. Just Say is a pretty sad but beautiful song though.

That song's intro riff was sampled recently.

midnightman
01-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Or they might be recording the other A&S production, I've Come to Love You So Much.

Or both lol

I wonder if there were the only productions done. I think A&S had left Motown around this point [[1972-73) so I wonder if the reason why the D&M set suffered a little was because A&S weren't allowed to produce the entire album?

Imagine if Motown allowed them full production on the album? Might've turned out a lot of great jams similar to Just Say and I've Come to Love You So Much? Then again, we might not have had the great listen of Hal Davis' arrangement of Stop, Look, Listen, which hook became a part of East Coast hip-hop samples for a long time [[strange since the entire album was produced in L.A. lol).

midnightman
01-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Because it's easier to point out Diana's disgusting behavior than it is to say "I may not like the lady but on this one she was right and he was wrong". That would be putting your big boy drawz on and standing on right vs wrong. I love them both but in the instance of Marvin smoking weed around a pregnant Diana, I have to admit that he was the dick in the situation. In the instance of Diana drinking and driving, I have to admit that she was a piece of trash for doing that. She could've killed someone, including herself. That's me being objective. Some people are incapable of that.

Agreed. Marvin & Diana both had done some stupid ish... doesn't take away from their greatness as musicians and performers. And it's silly to bring it up in this thread. Or have it be focused on that.

Ollie9
01-27-2019, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE=midnightman Just Say is a pretty sad but beautiful song though.

I agree. "Just Say Just Say" is a beautiful song, my favourite on the album. I would say Diana is a little more prominent on the song then Marvin but both singers sound superb. I wonder why the US and UK had such disparate single releases at the time.
To my ears "You Ar Everything" was the obvious choice for first single.

sup_fan
01-27-2019, 05:40 AM
Also it’s extremely common for duets to be recorded separately. People act like the fact D and M recorded apart that it’s some crazy scandal. Actually not uncommon given touring schedules and when they could schedule studio time.

Most of the sup/tops and sup/temps duets were recorded at different times.

midnightman
01-27-2019, 06:31 AM

I agree. "Just Say Just Say" is a beautiful song, my favourite on the album. I would say Diana is a little more prominent on the song then Marvin but both singers sound superb. I wonder why the US and UK had such disparate single releases at the time.

I think they're equal in that song BUT there were times when either of them were more prominent than the other. Diana is more prominent in Love Twins for example but Marvin was more prominent in others like Don't Knock My Love and Stop, Look, Listen [[his part in the intro got sampled a WHOLE lot in the early 2000s).

One of my favorite outtakes in the album is actually one of my all time best MG/DR collaborations was "Alone" and Diana leads on most of it but Marvin was a great accompaniment to her there.

rovereab
01-27-2019, 06:32 AM
My single choices would have been:

You Are Everything
Love Twins
My Mistake

You're A Special Part Of Me is a great song and great performance, it just lacked the immediacy required of a single.

Bluebrock
01-27-2019, 09:41 AM
I agree with you on both counts. Both stars behaved in a shocking way and both should have been thoroughly ashamed of themselves for what they did in their respective situations, but it is all in the past and that is where it should stay. Let's not give you-know-who yet another opportunity to send this thread spiraling downwards into another meltdown.

Bluebrock
01-27-2019, 09:44 AM

I think it had quite recently been a hit in the States for the Stylistics, whose version had not been a hit in the UK. Similar story for the UK follow up "stop, look,listen". For me these two songs along with "My mistake" were the choice tracks on what was a decent album, but far from a classic. It could have been so much better.

rovereab
01-27-2019, 11:31 AM
There does seem to be the same view from both sides of the Atlantic that You Are Everything is a standout track. I think the song shows their voices at their best from the sexy spoken right to the end.

"Now, now baby" :)

George Solomon
01-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Checking the single numbers is a good indication of what was being planned. For instance "My Mistake" was planned first #1269 and "You're A Special Part Of Me" was #1280. Mr. Gordy was very fond of his production of the latter which is possibly why they were swapped. I think "My Mistake" would have gone top 10 if released first. And doesn't it seem to be the single that is remembered in the US even with its lower chart position?

lucky2012
01-27-2019, 01:17 PM
Checking the single numbers is a good indication of what was being planned. For instance "My Mistake" was planned first #1269 and "You're A Special Part Of Me" was #1280. Mr. Gordy was very fond of his production of the latter which is possibly why they were swapped. I think "My Mistake" would have gone top 10 if released first. And doesn't it seem to be the single that is remembered in the US even with its lower chart position?
I totally agree.

I also agree with roverab's above choices for singles [[Love Twins, My Mistake, You Are Everything). I think all three had top ten possibilities. You Are Everything could have hit in the U.S. if it was released later in 1974, a couple of years or so after the Stylistics. It's my favorite from Diana & Marvin.

reese
01-27-2019, 01:24 PM

MY MISTAKE was the song from the album I heard most on the radio, so I thought it was the biggest hit. I was surprised to find that SPECIAL PART actually charted higher. Did it sell better as well?

midnightman
01-27-2019, 02:18 PM
My Mistake seemed like the HIT to me than Special Part. In Mistake, he dominates most of that song. It's the reverse of the songs where Diana obviously took a commanding lead but in this one, it's clearly MARVIN's song.

Berry definitely had it as competition to release those two songs at the same time and tried hard to push the song where Diana and Marvin are almost equal and since the song fit more of what Diana was doing during this era than Marvin, it's easy to see why there were two songs competing against the other.

TheMotownManiac
01-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Remember Billboard charts are heavily influenced by airplay. ”Special” generated huge play because it was released with two mega hits on the charts from both artists. How often has a duet been released with both artists having #1’s on the chart simultaneously? It needed no promotion at all.
That airplay got it to 12 - once sales didn’t respond, it died a quick death. Horrid choice for a single. That’s how crap charts high. Look at all those awful Gary Lewis songs that went top ten and off the charts in 2 months.

My choices for singles in order:
Love Twins
Just Say, Just Say
My Mistake
You Are Everything
pledging My Love

TheMotownManiac
01-27-2019, 04:29 PM
And I don’t look at any of the songs as “his” or “hers” I don’t get any competition at all.

midnightman
01-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Well we can agree on one thing: You're a Special Part of Me WOULDN'T have been released.

TheMotownManiac
01-27-2019, 08:10 PM
Yes, it’s slightly overproduced and sequenced incorrectly in that the choral intro ruins it. Had it begun with just a brief intro, go straight into the vocals and tone down the chorus when used, I think it would have fared much better. It’s a good song, but just too much. The break also should not have been choral - either vocals like on that one mix, or a killer instrumental. THEN, it could have been a single - after my other 5.

sup_fan
01-28-2019, 05:28 AM
i really like You Are Everything and Special Part. When Diana sings "today i saw somebody who looked just like you" - the way she sorts of adds some whisper to You and caresses the lyric. chills!!

And Just Say has become a fav. the intro at first seemed a bit weird but once you get past it, the melody and orchestration is lush and wonderful. makes you wonder what a full A&S production for the duets album would have yielded.

My Mistake isn't a fav of mine. the others i've mentioned just seem so sexy. this is a fine song and more upbeat. but i never play it or add to a playlist.

TheMotownManiac
01-28-2019, 08:54 AM
My Mistake grew on me - it was not an instant fave. I do like it but the reaction to it by just about everyone I knew was over the top. It got very spotty regional play. My brother was at MIT and told me it was on the radio all the time. Other college age buds on the east coast mentioned they liked it - which was unusual for the to mention as they were not into Diana or Marvin. Record stores from Chicago to St Louis did very well with it. My friends on the west coast never heard of it period. I think after the failure of the first single, programmers were wary to add it and the west coast was quite conservative as a rule. Anyway, I think it would have done very well as a third single.

You are everything was was my first fave but it had just gone gold in Early ‘72, so I’d be reticent to try it here - even though I think it would do ok at least.

RanRan79
01-28-2019, 11:14 AM
I do admire your honesty in speaking out RanRan. 12 years ago next month a dear friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver who happened to be female. There really is no excuse.

Thanks Ollie. There's no excuse for drunk driving. It's so scary to think that you can be a great driver, doing all the right things and still be killed or seriously injured because someone decided to get behind the wheel after drinking. What Marvin did was dumb and inconsiderate. What Diana did was much worse IMO. She's atoned for it and has not become a repeat offender so I don't hold it against her. But that doesn't stop me from calling it what it is.

RanRan79
01-28-2019, 11:30 AM
I must be in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of "My Mistake". It's a nice enough song, but it just doesn't do much for me. I prefer "You're a Special Part of Me", but do agree that it too may not have been the best choice for single. IMO there are only two songs on the album that sound like they could've been surefire hits: "You're My Everything" and "Don't Knock My Love". Of course both of them were recent hits for other artists so at that point it wouldn't have made sense to release them as singles. "Love Twins", "Just Say", "Falling In Love" could've possibly been singles if they had a different mix. "Pledging My Love"...no. And "Stop Look Listen" gets a no for the same reason as "You Are Everything". I'm intrigued by the possibility of "Include Me In Your Life" [[which I love) getting a single release, but I think it too would need a different mix. I definitely think "I've Come to Love You So Much" could've been a hit. It should have made the original album.

So my choice for singles would've been "I've Come to Love You So Much" and follow it up with a different mix of "Include Me In Your Life". But really to my ears, other than "Everything" and "Knock", none of the songs on the album jump out at me when I listen to them on their own. It's the totality of the album that really makes all these songs work. I also don't think there needed to be any more than two singles released if Diana and Marvin weren't going to do promotion together. At the very least they should have done some TV spots. Maybe there could've been a Diana and Marvin television special. How about the two of them going on tour together? This was prior to Diana making her concerts the extravaganzas they would become, so I think a Diana and Marvin tour- from a fan's perspective- would've done very well, speculation about their egos notwithstanding.

Ollie9
01-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Diana's singing at the start of "You Are Everything" is for me one of her best vocals ever. So crisp and emotional.........Love it.
I never thought "My Mistake" that exciting, just a nice album track. For me the songs with the best hit potential were....

1. You Are Everything
2. Love Twins
3. Just Say Just Say
4. Stop Look Listen.

It's a huge shame Marvin never recorded a vocal for "Since I Don't Have You".
The most unusual song recorded for the project has to be "The Things I Will not Miss". I do like it but it is a strange one.

lucky2012
01-28-2019, 01:40 PM
My Mistake grew on me - it was not an instant fave. I do like it but the reaction to it by just about everyone I knew was over the top. It got very spotty regional play. My brother was at MIT and told me it was on the radio all the time. Other college age buds on the east coast mentioned they liked it - which was unusual for the to mention as they were not into Diana or Marvin. Record stores from Chicago to St Louis did very well with it. My friends on the west coast never heard of it period. I think after the failure of the first single, programmers were wary to add it and the west coast was quite conservative as a rule.
I actually heard it quite a bit here in LA.
It was definitely more popular than You're a Special Part of Me. Friends here who were not into Diana or Marvin also liked the song. A couple seemed to like to sing along with Diana's scale climb at the end.

vgalindo
01-28-2019, 02:18 PM
I would have released.

1. You are everything
2. My mistake
3. Stop, Look, Listen
4. Just say, Just say
5. Special part of me.

jobeterob
01-28-2019, 02:47 PM
I would have released

1. love twins
2. You are everything
3. My mistake
4. Stop look listen

Special part of me needed more of a melody and some hooks

midnightman
01-28-2019, 10:00 PM
When I first heard My Mistake on a Marvin anthology, I jam to it immediately. Everything gelled. The music, Marvin, Diana, it was pretty catchy to my ears. You're a Special Part of Me just felt flat. Good song but it felt flat... the strongest material in the album was the A&S composition and the Stylistics covers.

midnightman
01-28-2019, 10:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARIuBkYa78

Just had to post Just Say, Just Say! To say they slayed this track would be an understatement. A&S were some great producers/writers!

lucky2012
01-28-2019, 10:33 PM
^ Hearing this again, I think it could have been a hit. The mellow vibe and sensibility is similar to records Roberta Flack was taking to the top of the pop charts at the time.

Circa 1824
01-29-2019, 10:44 AM
I never liked Special Part of Me. I think a TV appearance together would have helped the whole project a lot. Sad that never happened :[[ :[[ :[[

TheMotownManiac
01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
I think, With let’s get it on, and touch me in the morning still in the top 20 and this song coming out a month or six weeks before the album, the single it would’ve been on its way to number one And on the wonderful strength of the beautiful sound of these two voices on this record,when the album came out it would’ve soared into the top 10. Just say would have done well on every format pop, R&B, adult contemporary, quiet storm, light jazz… It would’ve been huge and love twins as a follow-up, With its fresh funky sound, not only would’ve been a smash on its own right, but convinced of those who didn’t buy the album yet that it was a must. Then it would be a coin toss, but I would probably go with my mistake and then you are everything. If the stylistics hadn’t gone gold with it first, it would’ve been a natural single.

jobeterob
01-29-2019, 04:07 PM
The album did stay in the top 200 for nearly a year so it sold pretty well

midnightman
01-29-2019, 04:32 PM

I didn't know that!

reese
01-29-2019, 04:59 PM

In a BLACK STARS interview, Marilyn McLeod, co-writer of LOVE TWINS and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE, mentioned that the album went gold.

Ollie9
01-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know if everything from the Diana & Marvin sessions has now been released other then alternate vocals?.

jobeterob
01-29-2019, 06:00 PM
On Wikipedia, it says it sold over a million copies world wide. It was #1 in Japan, #2 in Australia and #6 in the United Kingdom.

This is what Marvin was quoted as saying:

Gaye later said of the experience: "I'm not sure I handled the situation very well. Musically I may have overplayed my hand. I was too cavalier. I should have done everything in the world to make Diana comfortable. After all, she was making movies, recording two or three albums a year, starring in her own TV specials, and about to have a baby. I could have been a little more understanding. But I went the other way. It's hard for me to deal with prima donnas. We were like two spoiled kids going after the same cookie..."[10]

You gotta love it.

midnightman
01-29-2019, 07:36 PM
In a BLACK STARS interview, Marilyn McLeod, co-writer of LOVE TWINS and INCLUDE ME IN YOUR LIFE, mentioned that the album went gold.

I like to know how much it sold but someone who was there at the time, I can believe this. I did hear it sold half a million copies or was coming close to selling a million copies? I mean any album that stays on the Billboard 200 [[or as it was called back then, the Top LPs chart) in those days was almost certified gold!

khansperac
01-29-2019, 07:44 PM
I can tell you this . When I was a youngster in the early 80’s, whenever I would visit friends houses I would always look [[with permission) through their- usually parents, album collection. I saw this album a lot.

Optimal Saint
01-30-2019, 06:12 PM
I love Marvin’s opening on pledging your love

Did they ever perform any of these songs live together?

midnightman
01-31-2019, 02:03 AM
I love Marvin’s opening on pledging your love

Did they ever perform any of these songs live together?

Marvin did "Love Twins" on his last tour.
But no they never did any song from this album.
But I bet if Marvin was still alive in later years, he'd probably be singing You Are Everything with her. :)