PDA

View Full Version : Roz? Annette? Betty? Lois? Sandy?

test

marybrewster
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Question about the Vandellas:

Did any of the 'girls' ever cut any lead vocals? I know that before they became "Martha and the Vandellas" [[were they The Vels?) there was another that did some leads, but am wondering about after Martha took over?

reese
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, none of the Vandellas ever had a lead on their albums. Whether there are any unreleased leads by them in the vaults is an interesting question.

elegant_soul
08-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Sandra recorded a lead for the Velvelettes which has been released and talked about....."Honey Love"....the Vandellas covered this. Roz, Annette, Lois all recorded solos on MotorCity Records.....not sure about Betty. Sandra was gone by this time. These are fun to have if you collected them as the songs give you a good idea of what their voices sounded like in order to trace them in the backgrounds!

theboyfromxtown
08-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Elegant

I recall Betty doing a song "I Need To Be Independent" for Motorcity. It seemed rather an amusing title in the circumstances and I am sure Ian chose it for her for that reason.

Betty also takes over the lead from Cal in the finale of the live version of "Aint That Good News" from the Battle concert...you know, THAT concert in Februaryu 1964 where the audience favoured the Velvelettes......

elegant_soul
08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Well it would have been hard to favor the Supremes that night as after their performance Berry swept them away on a tour of the Orient! The Polyesters.....I mean Velvetetas were left standing on the stage, pulling up their hose, and combing tomatoes out of their hair!

theboyfromxtown
08-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Elegant

You're on rations now....and don't try any of those underhand techniques you so often use to get me to change my mind.

Ooooeerr, too late!

midnightman
08-15-2010, 01:19 AM
During their pre-Vandellas days, I do believe Roz and Annette had done leads, post-Vandellas, they did leads. So did Betty and Sandy. Not sure about Lois but since she was in another group before she joined her sister's group it's likely she probably did sing lead on some songs. If I'm not mistaken, Lois is singing lead on one song during the Vandellas' live album from '67.