PDA

View Full Version : Thelma Houston Gets New Grammy to Replace Trophy Broken in Northridge Earthquake

test

PeaceNHarmony
01-20-2019, 02:39 PM
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/8494121/thelma-houston-new-grammy-replace-trophy-broken-northridge-earthquake

woodward
01-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Thank you for posting this touching story. I really love Thelma Houston. And I did learn something from reading the article that I was totally unaware of. The article stated that Suzanne dePasse was the one who was responsible for signing Thelma to Motown.

brother_love
01-20-2019, 04:38 PM
Thelma at the Grammy Museum finally gets a Grammy replacement award. In attendance at her show were Marylin Maccoo and Billy Davis Jr., Freda & Scherrie Payne, Claudette Robinson, Betty Kelly, Maxine Waters, Demita Jo Freeman and the Soul Train Gang, Janie Bradford and Bunny Hull [[writer of Thelma's "Ride To The Rainbow" & Patti LaBelle's "New Attitude".

midnightman
01-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Cool. Took them long enough. :) Lol

TomatoTom123
01-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Wow. Good for you Thelma!

Didn't know "You've Been Doing Wrong For So Long" was nominated for an award back in the day. I love that one. :D

PeaceNHarmony
01-24-2019, 08:51 PM

Didn't know "You've Been Doing Wrong For So Long" was nominated for an award back in the day. I love that one. :D A nice story, right? Best to you, friend Tom, while we await the 'new' Undisputed Truth!

TomatoTom123
01-24-2019, 08:59 PM
A nice story, right? Best to you, friend Tom, while we await the 'new' Undisputed Truth!

YES!! Can't wait PNH!!

I remember having a similar conversation with you about the last Undisputed Truth ACE collection :D

BritishTony
01-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Wow,thank you PeaceNHarmony for this, a GREAT article. Thelma is such a beautifulperson and, of course, very gifted singer. Read recently how Berry Gordy & oneof the Hollands praised her backstage after a show. And much as Luther’s my manI actually prefer Thelma’s version of Never Too Much with its girl-talk intro,big brassy arrangement and, of course, Thelma’s perfectly pitched vocal.

RanRan79
01-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Didn't know "You've Been Doing Wrong For So Long" was nominated for an award back in the day. I love that one. :D

You and me both Tom. I knew First Choice's version of the song first and I LOVED it. Still do. I was shocked to learn that Thelma did it first and when I finally got a hold to it, man, I fell in love with it too. It's officially my favorite Thelma Houston song.

RanRan79
01-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Wow,thank you PeaceNHarmony for this, a GREAT article. Thelma is such a beautifulperson and, of course, very gifted singer. Read recently how Berry Gordy & oneof the Hollands praised her backstage after a show. And much as Luther’s my manI actually prefer Thelma’s version of Never Too Much with its girl-talk intro,big brassy arrangement and, of course, Thelma’s perfectly pitched vocal.

Wow, I didn't know Thelma did "Never Too Much". I'll have to see if I can find it and give it a listen. I really can't hear anyone but Luther doing it but now I'm curious.

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 07:37 PM
You and me both Tom. I knew First Choice's version of the song first and I LOVED it. Still do. I was shocked to learn that Thelma did it first and when I finally got a hold to it, man, I fell in love with it too. It's officially my favorite Thelma Houston song.

Nice Ran!! It's one of my faves by Thelma too! I had no idea First Choice had a version though, I'll definitely be checking that out.

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Wow, I didn't know Thelma did "Never Too Much". I'll have to see if I can find it and give it a listen. I really can't hear anyone but Luther doing it but now I'm curious.

That's from Thelma's recent-ish album A Woman's Touch. She does a cracking version of "Wake Up Everybody" on the album too, that's worth checking out as well Ran. :)

RanRan79
01-25-2019, 08:43 PM
Nice Ran!! It's one of my faves by Thelma too! I had no idea First Choice had a version though, I'll definitely be checking that out.

Please do. I love First Choice's version very much.

RanRan79
01-25-2019, 08:44 PM
That's from Thelma's recent-ish album A Woman's Touch. She does a cracking version of "Wake Up Everybody" on the album too, that's worth checking out as well Ran. :)

I'll look for it, thanks Tom.

glencro
01-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Great story and it's awesome that she was able to get a replacement. I was vaguely familiar with Thelma Houston. Of course I knew the hits but had NOOO idea what a POWERHOUSE she was on the microphone. Went to a disco show 3 or 4 years ago and it featured Cheryl Lynn, A Taste of Honey, Martha Wash, Thelma and a few others. My GOD, Thelma Houston sang as if it were her last time. The voice was sharp, brass and her range was amazing. I was completely blown away. Well deserved honor for her.

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Please do. I love First Choice's version very much.

I found it and gave it a listen!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgFDBsiuks&app=desktop

May I say, Mr. Ran, thank you very much for alerting me to this fantastic version. It's different to Thelma's but still bloody great. The production is absolutely stell-ar. Love it. :D

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 09:26 PM
Oh let's just share Thelma's superb rendition as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDIt0ISLS4

TomatoTom123
01-25-2019, 09:54 PM
I need to get all of First Choice's albums. :)

RanRan79
01-26-2019, 12:07 PM
I found it and gave it a listen!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgFDBsiuks&app=desktop

May I say, Mr. Ran, thank you very much for alerting me to this fantastic version. It's different to Thelma's but still bloody great. The production is absolutely stell-ar. Love it. :D

Right? I love everything about it.

RanRan79
01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
I need to get all of First Choice's albums. :)

I think I have them all although it's been quite a long while since I've played them. I don't remember there being a bad one, but my favorite is definitely So Let Us Entertain You.

TomatoTom123
01-26-2019, 06:32 PM
I only know about two songs by them, but I'm almost certain I will like all of their albums :D