PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday to Mr. Al Abrams aka "Stalebagel !!!

test

marv2
02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I would like to take this time to wish a VERY HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY TO AL ABRAMS! A true Motown Original and a great human being! Here's to you Al!

Marv

marv2
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Billy Johnson, Al Abrams , J.J., Little Willie John ,Berry Gordy , Jackie Wilson and Robert Bateman

marv2
02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Harry Weinger, Janie Bradford, Al Abrams and Marvin Davis Detroit.Michigan

marv2
02-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Al Abrams and Berry Gordy 1994

marv2
02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Hype & soul - behind the scenes at motown

by al abrams

marv2
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Al Abrams was born in Detroit and graduated from Central High School at the age of 15. In 1959, he became the first employee of what was to become Berry Gordy, Jr.'s Motown Record Corporation. Working originally as National Promotion Director, he ultimately became the company's Director of Public Relations. Establishing his own firm, Al Abrams Associates in 1967, he worked with Stax-Volt Records, James Brown, Aretha Franklin and many other major artists. Abrams left the music business for book publishing and became editor of the journalism department at Gale Research Company. He wrote the first three of his eleven published books at Gale. Moving to Canada, he was an award-winning investigative reporter for the Windsor Star and later a gossip columnist and book editor at a major Ohio daily newspaper. Abrams has been a free-lance reporter and publicist since 1994. His work has appeared in Forbes, the Jerusalem Post, Detroit Free Press, and the Chicago Tribune, among other publications. His best-known book is "Special Treatment: The Untold Story of Hitler's Third Race," the pioneering study of the survival of the Mischlinge during the Holocaust.

ralpht
02-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Al,
Wishing you all the best on your birthday.

tim_stantion
02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Al, best wishes for a happy 70th. birthday, and a year filled with happiness, prosperity, and good health! I checked Amazon and couldn't find the Soul & Hype book. Where can it be ordered from? The cover photo alone makes the book worth buying.

stephanie
02-20-2011, 06:32 PM
To the best hype man in the business a Motown Legend happy birthday Al. One of my favorite people.

stalebagel
02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Everyone:

Wow! What a surprise to see this. Thank you Marv, Ralph, Tim and Stephanie.
Tim, check out the new and improved cover on the Hype & Sou! page on Facebook. The link is below. I tried pasting the cover on this message but it wouldn't work. Too much, I guess, for a 70-year-old to understand.
Thanks again to everyone for this. I really do appreciate it.

http://www.facebook.com/hype.and.soul

Al

marv2
02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Everyone:

Wow! What a surprise to see this. Thank you Marv, Ralph, Tim and Stephanie.
Tim, check out the new and improved cover on the Hype & Sou! page on Facebook. The link is below. I tried pasting the cover on this message but it wouldn't work. Too much, I guess, for a 70-year-old to understand.
Thanks again to everyone for this. I really do appreciate it.

http://www.facebook.com/hype.and.soul

Al

AL, I'll do it !

marv2
02-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Here we go.......

marv2
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
"The Commission", hehehehehehe......

marv2
04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Carlo, FYI !

carlo
04-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, thanks Marv for the FYI. [[laughs) I sent you a message. I've always known who Mr. Abrams is and his role and contributions to Motown history, but the problem was I didn't know who "Stalebagel" was. I was thinking, "Stalebagel"?? Who is this?? lol.

marv2
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, thanks Marv for the FYI. [[laughs) I sent you a message. I've always known who Mr. Abrams is and his role and contributions to Motown history, but the problem was I didn't know who "Stalebagel" was. I was thinking, "Stalebagel"?? Who is this?? lol.

Ok! You're excused this time......but don't let it happen again! <G>

tomato tom
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!.. Have a GREAT one. Cant wait for your book..Paulo xxxx

carlo
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Has the book been released? I remember hearing about it and I wanted to buy it. I looked online for it yesterday and didn't see any copies available.

paladin
04-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Happy Birthday Stalebagel......may you have many more....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

alanh
04-08-2011, 04:17 AM
I'll add my belated greeting too. Congrats on the big 70!

Carlo - I've been wondering about the release date too. It looks like it'll be out at the end of May. See the link below. There's also a limited edition disc of historic interest that'll be given with the first 500 sold.
http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum/topic/195830-hitsville-usa-greetings-to-tmas/

I'm really looking forward to the book Al!

tommy good
04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Happy Birthday to one of Motowns best. Many more birthdays to you my friend. I'm looking forward to your book Al and I'm honored that you have considered the Tommy Good march picture for your book cover, I remember that day vividly and have great feelings about it.
Your Friend.
Tommy Good

randy_russi
04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Happy Birthday, Al! Be in touch when you can. Any more cruises plannned?

Randy Russi:)

To Mr. Tommy Good--you are one GREAT vocalist!!!!!!

stalebagel
04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi Tommy:

Thanks for the birthday greetings.

You are not only on the cover of the book, but there's an entire chapter about the March on Hitsville with many photos that I don't think you've ever seen.

I spoke to a combined music and business school class at Bowling Green State University last week [[I had a great turnout because the announcement -- which is still on line -- misidentified me as a former CEO of Motown!) and a number of people asked me to tell your story. Now if we can just get someone to issue a Tommy Good CD in the UK...

Randy: Many thanks also for your good wishes. Those wonderful people at Sunrise Arc in Orlando sent me a beautiful handmade kingsize wooden replica of a Motown vinyl for my birthday that was made by their clients. They are such great folks.

Thanks again and my best to both of you.
Al