PDA

View Full Version : 2010 African Festival of the Arts

test

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Here's the lineup. Again,since I will be out of town, maybe my SDF people in Chicago [[and the ones that lurks,but never attend) :) will come out. Go to the Entertainment link and see who's coming. Have fun ! :cool:

http://africanfestivalchicago.com

paladin
08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Dam bro' me they are really slipping......Are Chrysler and Illinois Lottery still sponsors ?

splanky
08-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately the sponsor scroll covers up a bit of the information on the entertainment roster. Not a very good website design. But at least there are a few real Africans in this festival. I've seen Angelique Kidjo several times and she tears a stage up something lovely...

paladin
08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Splanky, these shows have been so good in the past that we [[read Chicago Mafia) would make a 2-3 day pilgrimage to the fest. It wont be that way this year......I will make an effort to see Ms. AK on your recommendation....

GeeTee(HPK)
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
The Illionis Lottery is still a sponsor. They lost their sponsorship with Chrysler. This use to be the event the Chi-town posse would attend regularly,as our "last offical summer concert". [[things changed,but we had some good times) :)

I will attend the Hyde Park Jazz Festival in late September. [[details to come ......)

catwoman55
08-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Yes, my fellow Chi-towners here, the African Festival of the Arts used to be THE spot for that last blast of outdoor music entertainment in the neighborhood for the summer. Alas, times changed and other things changed [[with this fest)... I was last there, I think, year before last, but only to see Rachelle Ferrell. This year, I am considering attending, if only to see Chaka because, believe it or not, I've never seen her live and neither one of us [[both around same age) aren't getting any younger ;) i would also consider seeing Ms. Kidjo...I saw her and John Legend do a rousing cover version of Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" a couple of weeks ago on Jimmy Fallon's show. Otherwise...eh...

paladin
08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Thats what I mean Cat, I used to get so pumped up, I couldn't wait to get to the Fest, didn't care how hot it was, where I had to park, it was just so cool to see, hear & feel the artists and the people from my old neighborhood........dam....

It was like hearing "Hot Fun In The Summertime" for the first time, that feeling you just cant explain but you know its cool.......

chidrummer
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow, who booked this festival? Who are these people? Man, I'm gettin' old.
Cat, I might join you to check out Ms. Khan. I have had the pleasure of seeing her with and without Rufus and she is a joy to hear live. Tito is also cool when he's playing the blues. Other than that.....