PDA

View Full Version : Right on [[Expanded edition) - The Supremes

test

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
01-04-2019, 06:55 AM
I hope we have a chance to see an expanded edition of the album. I have check out, the group released much more songs during that period. So I hope we have than "How long has that evening train been gone" by The 70īs Supremes. i like that song very much and I will be dissapointed for my whole life, that only Diana and The Andantes sing this song, not with Cindy and Mary. When I compare "Iīll set you free" itīs amazing to hear all. By the way, I have the fear Blinky handeld the song not so good, maybe like "The hunter".....! I have heard the song on youtube in bad quality by The Supremes but its more similar than the DRATS version or better DRATA version ;-)

PeaceNHarmony
01-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Well ... there is an extended 'Right On'. Independently produced by someone far more caring about the music than the actual copyright holders. Nearly 50 years on I'll not hold my breath waiting of an official version, but I'll sure buy it if it ever does appear!

Bluebrock
01-04-2019, 10:28 AM
I hope we have a chance to see an expanded edition of the album. I have check out, the group released much more songs during that period. So I hope we have than "How long has that evening train been gone" by The 70īs Supremes. i like that song very much and I will be dissapointed for my whole life, that only Diana and The Andantes sing this song, not with Cindy and Mary. When I compare "Iīll set you free" itīs amazing to hear all. By the way, I have the fear Blinky handeld the song not so good, maybe like "The hunter".....! I have heard the song on youtube in bad quality by The Supremes but its more similar than the DRATS version or better DRATA version ;-)
I think the chance of this ever happening is practically zero. We struggle to get Drats and Ross solo expanded editions these days, and there is far more demand for them than 70's Supremes material. Right On is quite possibly my favorite Supremes album of any lineup and i would love to see it given the treatment it so richly deserves, but i think the best we can hope for is a 70's Supremes lost and found set,and that would appear to be just wishful thinking. however we must live in hope. How about it George and Andy?

sup_fan
01-04-2019, 11:46 AM
i agree that getting expanded editions beyond the DRATS era is not very likely. and i even wonder if all of the DRATS albums will get this treatment. a L&F set would be a happy compromise although i would greatly miss the booklet and data around the lp.

George - you did a masterful job with the Diana [[sup and solo) discography in Randy's book. so much wonderful info. any chance you could do the same for the 70s Sups?

sup_fan
01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
in another thread on here, George did mention that there was an earlier, alt track listing for Right On. I made a playlist for it.

Up the ladder
Then we can try it again
the day will come between sunday and monday
wait a minute
You move me
But i love you more

I got hurt
Steppin on a dream
take a closer look at me
then i met you
life beats
loving country

Everybody's Got The Right was recorded JUST prior to Right On and so they must have really loved the track and quickly included it. personally i think they should have spent a bit more time on it and made it pop a bit more. but just my opinion

bradsupremes
01-04-2019, 02:37 PM
My fear with a L&F collection is that not everything would fit. In 1969, Motown switched to using 16-track multitrack tapes allowing more room for vocals, etc. Jean could have cut 2-3 vocals on each song in the 70's. With a L&F, we'd be getting the unreleased tracks, but could be missing out on some awesome alternate vocals, etc.

Jimi LaLumia
01-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Everybody's Got The Right was a horrible flaccid follow up to 'Ladder' but I'm surprised that it never became an LGBT anthem years later..still could..

TheMotownManiac
01-04-2019, 03:55 PM
Side 1 of Right On is the best side one of any Supremes LP since HDH. I love EGTRTL. I LOVE Jeans vocal - one of my faves if hers for sure. I don’t think it was the best choice for a single, but I see it. It did pretty well sakes wise - #13 on Cash Box shows it preformed much better than the radio support it had would indicate. I hear 5 possible singles on side 1 - the last several DR&TS albums were lucky to have one!

sup_fan
01-04-2019, 04:30 PM
My fear with a L&F collection is that not everything would fit. In 1969, Motown switched to using 16-track multitrack tapes allowing more room for vocals, etc. Jean could have cut 2-3 vocals on each song in the 70's. With a L&F, we'd be getting the unreleased tracks, but could be missing out on some awesome alternate vocals, etc.

i believe you're right. there's probably enough content to do another L&F out the Diana era and then 1 entire 2 disc L&F on the 70's Sups. plus there might be still enough diana solo for her own set too

my understanding is there are still some alt takes from the Scherrie years but not much. still some versions of Walking. for instance the one they used for Soul Train and AB tv appearances.

greg jones
01-04-2019, 05:13 PM
I think the chance of this ever happening is practically zero. We struggle to get Drats and Ross solo expanded editions these days, and there is far more demand for them than 70's Supremes material. Right On is quite possibly my favorite Supremes album of any lineup and i would love to see it given the treatment it so richly deserves, but i think the best we can hope for is a 70's Supremes lost and found set,and that would appear to be just wishful thinking. however we must live in hope. How about it George and Andy?

Here, Here, Bluerock! I agree totally. The 2 disc expanded editions made sense because of Mono & Stereo, shorter live performances, unreleased, alternates, etc. Once we get to Love Child and later, I'm beginning to wonder if they will only be 1 disc expanded editions. Reflections probably should still be 2 disc as it had mono mixes and they might include the '67 Roostertail show. With getting A Go Go and HDH, we're getting closer to having a nice complete set.

As far the specialty albums, Rogers and Hart would have to be 2 disc. One mono and One stereo. The 3 1965 specialty albums, Liverpool, Sam Cooke and CW&P could be issued in one set. We also need the mono mixes of There's A Place For Us. Talk of The Town and Farewell, should be separate sets. And lastly we need to get Funny Girl on physical CD. Not to mention the Disney album, which should appeal to many general fans too.

As long as the '70's Supremes is a physical release and 2 disc, it will complete the other '70's disc sets. Alternates of the hits would help broaden the appeal to more fans. We'll still get the stories in the booklet and everyone can make their playlists in the digital program that one uses of alternate playing orders and making their own.

George & Andy do such a wonderful that I'm sure it would be a magnificent collection, once they are able to get authorization.

sup_fan
01-04-2019, 05:30 PM
i have a hunch that the physical cds might not be possible for some of these. and while i do enjoy having the tangible, my ultimate preference is to just get the music. in whatever format.

as for the mono and stereo, by the time we got to the DRATS era, most things were going only in stereo. was it Reflections LP that was the last issued in both? Reflections could also include the Disney material, as it was recorded during this time frame.

Much of 68 and 69 was focused on the Temps work [[albums and specials). Not sure how much more Diana content there is from these years. quite a few tracks on the L&F didn't have any background vocals. i've always suspected that there isn't much left from these last couple years. and therefore without vault material and the mono/stereo, doing an Expanded Edition might not be worthwhile. but would be happy to be proven wrong

with the 70s we already have the issued albums on the booklet sets. and again, probably aren't mono versions to include. that would mean a Right On expanded set would probably not happen. but L&F might be the most efficient and productive route

daviddh
01-04-2019, 08:07 PM
one of the best supremes albums that does deserve a expanded edition. hopefully one day

luke
01-04-2019, 08:14 PM
When I was with George and Andy at Universal they said it was their intent/hope to do extended albums through the 70s Supremes.

bradsupremes
01-04-2019, 11:21 PM
i have a hunch that the physical cds might not be possible for some of these. and while i do enjoy having the tangible, my ultimate preference is to just get the music. in whatever format.

as for the mono and stereo, by the time we got to the DRATS era, most things were going only in stereo. was it Reflections LP that was the last issued in both? Reflections could also include the Disney material, as it was recorded during this time frame.

Much of 68 and 69 was focused on the Temps work [[albums and specials). Not sure how much more Diana content there is from these years. quite a few tracks on the L&F didn't have any background vocals. i've always suspected that there isn't much left from these last couple years. and therefore without vault material and the mono/stereo, doing an Expanded Edition might not be worthwhile. but would be happy to be proven wrong

with the 70s we already have the issued albums on the booklet sets. and again, probably aren't mono versions to include. that would mean a Right On expanded set would probably not happen. but L&F might be the most efficient and productive route

One thing that could expand the later 60's Supremes albums would be possible alternate vocals from the Supremes/Temptations duets. I imagine there has to be at least some. I heard an awesome mix of "A House Is Not A Home" that wasn't used on the Joined Together collection. I imagine when they get to "Let The Sunshine In" and "Cream Of The Crop," they would be one disc collections but with alternate vocals, new mixes, and any additional finds they would clearly fill these out.

daviddh
01-05-2019, 11:36 AM
i love Life Beats and Thats How Much You Made Me Love You, both outtakes from RO.

carlo
01-05-2019, 11:58 AM
This may possibly be my all-time favourite Supremes album, out of ANY lineup!! So so good! I NEED an expanded version of it NOW!! :)

gman
01-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Past 10 years or so, I play the Jean material more often than the Diana and Scherrie material combined....mostly Touch [[my pers fav Sup's LP) and Floy Joy....the duets and Webb I hardly ever play....IGIMTM and 5.30 Plane are the only 2 cuts I love on JW, and the duets LPs have too much filler for me....RO & NWBLS get played and enjoyed too..but in pieces...not the entire LPS....since I skip Time & Love [[I just HATE the song) I guess Floy Joy the only one that gets a listen from start to finish.

mysterysinger
01-06-2019, 07:19 AM
I love "Touch" - probably in my Top 5 Supremes tracks of any era.

daviddh
01-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Past 10 years or so, I play the Jean material more often than the Diana and Scherrie material combined....mostly Touch [[my pers fav Sup's LP) and Floy Joy....the duets and Webb I hardly ever play....IGIMTM and 5.30 Plane are the only 2 cuts I love on JW, and the duets LPs have too much filler for me....RO & NWBLS get played and enjoyed too..but in pieces...not the entire LPS....since I skip Time & Love [[I just HATE the song) I guess Floy Joy the only one that gets a listen from start to finish.
totally agree with your choices. love Touch lp but Silent voices and when can brown begin are my 2 favs

gman
01-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Everybody's Got The Right was played very often on WABC here in NYC...I heard it as often as Ladder...in the internet days I was surprised to learn it was not a top 10 hit...ditto for River Deep, Remember Me and I'm Still Waiting....WABC was very supportive of both the Supremes and DR in 1970....yet I never heard Surrender or Nathan Jones....

PeaceNHarmony
01-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Everybody's Got The Right was played very often on WABC here in NYC...I heard it as often as Ladder...in the internet days I was surprised to learn it was not a top 10 hit...ditto for River Deep, Remember Me and I'm Still Waiting....WABC was very supportive of both the Supremes and DR in 1970....yet I never heard Surrender or Nathan Jones....
I recall good rotation of 'Everybody's...' on WABC as well. I do believe they played 'Nathan Jones', though.

daviddh
01-07-2019, 08:00 PM
here in Baltimore , they played most of the early hits for the Supremes up to floy joy. I never heard EGTRTL on radio ,or BW. unless I was listening to Casey Casum top 40.
I hope to get a Right On deluxe or Expanded but...as slow as things are....we wont see it until at least 20/20 …..I assume we may get TO LOVE AGAIN and REFLECTIONS for diana and Marys b day this year. they seem to be hinting to something , and with the release of her LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK in movie theaters coming. maybe they are holding back but geez, just like Motown, one minute you get things back to back and the next you get nothing.
maybe we could get Love Child this year as well,...but even then, 2020 would /could bring us Let The Sunshine n Cream of the Crop.
I don't see Right On even possible until 2021 if we are lucky.

vgalindo
01-08-2019, 02:44 AM
here in Baltimore , they played most of the early hits for the Supremes up to floy joy. I never heard EGTRTL on radio ,or BW. unless I was listening to Casey Casum top 40.
I hope to get a Right On deluxe or Expanded but...as slow as things are....we wont see it until at least 20/20 …..I assume we may get TO LOVE AGAIN and REFLECTIONS for diana and Marys b day this year. they seem to be hinting to something , and with the release of her LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK in movie theaters coming. maybe they are holding back but geez, just like Motown, one minute you get things back to back and the next you get nothing.
maybe we could get Love Child this year as well,...but even then, 2020 would /could bring us Let The Sunshine n Cream of the Crop.
I don't see Right On even possible until 2021 if we are lucky.
"To love again" has already been expanded. Did you mean "Ross 78" ?

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
01-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all responses, but I canīt understand why so many guys waiting for expanded edtions by DRATS albums from 1967 on. There is a lots work with the Andantes, not with the real Supremes, only few tracks and I think there are no real Supremes tracks in the faults or outtakes. It makes for me no real sense with these expanded editions. There would be better to have a Lost & Found set Vol 2 by DRATS or DRATS live set 1967 - 1969, that would be better and we had guarnteed the vocals of DRATS

sup_fan
01-08-2019, 11:59 AM
well we've long known about the Andantes and at this point, i just view them as part of the group's legacy. sure i wish there'd been more respect paid to the girls and keeping the true group - notice the Smokey never grabbed 3 other random guys to back up a single song of the Miracles but he freely used the Andantes on the DRATS, Marvelettes and 70s Sup recordings.

but i'm more interesting in understanding the overall group's history. i can't change that the A's were used and so i just accept it

one thing that has bugged me though is how much Mary focuses in her books about "being true" to her girls and group. in Sup Faith she mentions being worried about being a traitor to the JMC group by holding too much onto her and the group's historic past. Yet she doesn't seem to put up much of a battle at the time about using other voices on their material

i get it that in the early years, the girls were too young to really flex their muscles. and by the DRATS era, things were out of Mary's control frankly. but with Jean, you'd think she would have said "ok - new group, new era, new approach. let's have us and only us on the music." seems that was the approach by the time Scherrie joined. too bad they didn't do that earlier

johnjeb
01-08-2019, 12:08 PM
I'm looking forward to Expanded Editions for the Reflections and Love Child albums. I've always loved those two albums. Reflections may be in my Top Ten Supremes albums [[including specialty albums) while Love Child is number two [[tied with More Hits) behind my favorite WDOLG.

I've been disappointed to learn that Mary, Florence and Cindy are on so few songs, but I'm not devastated. As much as I loved all The Supremes, Diana's voice was the focus for me at the time. [[Of course I thought it was The Supremes doing all the fabulous background vocals. Even though I had read that with Florence's departure additional studio singers would be utilized.)

As much as I enjoy the music, the booklets and packaging are just as important to me. Buying albums back in the day was fun. The album art and graphics were exciting. In the early CD era when many of these records were reissued the CD packaging was boring in a plastic jewel case with a little slip of paper reproducing, in miniscule, the album graphics. With the Expanded Editions we get so much more. I love the song annotations and the commentary and history.

daviddh
01-08-2019, 06:54 PM
"To love again" has already been expanded. Did you mean "Ross 78" ?
yes , my apologies. senior moment. i have it in my playlist as 2LoveAgain and i combined both albums and removed the duds. thx for bringing it to my attention.