PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years of "Love Child"!

test

marv2
12-22-2018, 12:53 AM
"Love Child" is now solidly middle-aged! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Cq5P6JIjs

TheMotownManiac
12-22-2018, 06:20 AM
Lots of folks who dig Motown and this song have been born after its release and can not comprehend the sledgehammer effect it had at the time. It was literally the perfect pop record .....no air in it at all, nothing to tweak, it sounded like ten billion dollars on the radio in glorious Motown Mono. Today, with digitizing, mixing, stereoization and the like, peeps can still dig it - but not the way it was intended: to be played on car or transistor radios - where it sounded best. My original 45 was played so much, it’s grey.

PeaceNHarmony
12-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Lots of folks who dig Motown and this song have been born after its release and can not comprehend the sledgehammer effect it had at the time. It was literally the perfect pop record .....no air in it at all, nothing to tweak, it sounded like ten billion dollars on the radio in glorious Motown Mono. Today, with digitizing, mixing, stereoization and the like, peeps can still dig it - but not the way it was intended: to be played on car or transistor radios - where it sounded best. My original 45 was played so much, it’s grey.

Yup. Stated perfectly. Could be THE perfect Motown single.

jobeterob
12-23-2018, 02:26 AM
It was a monster hit

LoveSupreme
12-24-2018, 04:07 AM
I was six and a half months old when "Love Child" released on September 30, 1968.

daviddh
12-25-2018, 12:26 PM
just a classic, and i think this could be there biggest seller

BigAl
12-29-2018, 09:21 AM
While it’s never been among my favorites of the group’s songs [[DRATS songs never equaled true Supremes numbers, in my opinion), I would have to say it’s probably my favorite from the DRATS era, and without it the group might well have finished its run a good deal sooner than it did. Once the act was revamped as DRATS and after the departure of HDH, it fell into such a slump that it was going to take almost an act of God to revitalize it. We all know the story of Gordy’s sequestering “The Clan” [[Taylor, Richards, Wilson and Sawyer), basically holding them hostage in a hotel room without sleep until they came up with something to put DRATS back on top — or else. Perhaps they feared for their jobs if they didn’t deliver, but whatever the motivation, they created a winner. When the group debuted it on Sullivan, dressed in “guttersnipe” outfits and singing [[well, lip-syncing) about illegitimacy and premarital relations I really didn’t know what to think, and was actually amazed that it went to the top, thanks more to the music and production than to the “socially relevant” lyric, although I’m sure that helped, since the glitz’n’glam image of the group and its songs about romance and heartbreak had by then become awfully dated. [[Of course, after that came an even worse slump but that’s another story.)

sup_fan
12-29-2018, 01:56 PM
i think it's a great song and love it. but i will admit that it's a bit contrived. with Marvin's What's Going On not only was it a dynamic new sound from him but it was genuine. from his heart and you knew he truly cared about this

Diana's performance is classic but it's hard to reconcile their glamour girl and sequin image with this new sound and song. True during this time the girls endorsed Humphrey and they added the MLK speech to Somewhere. but still i never got a sense that the "group" wanted to do something different and important. It did seem that when Jean joined, the shift to more focus on peace love and humanity was genuine and therefore it worked. LC was a calculated effort to hit #1. and add some street cred. i think you could have had totally different lyrics about heartbreak and loss and kept the instrumental track and still probably have had a hit

MayaGreen
02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
I saw these guys at one private event few months ago [[https://bstars.eu/ organised it if I'm not mistaken)

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
02-12-2019, 10:52 AM
I´m very glad that we have a live version of the song with all three real Supremes on Farewell, because it is a monster Hit, sadly only recorded by Diana Ross in the studio, so I prefer in studio versions Syreeta´s and I´m curious of The Blackberries version, which I never heard.

PeaceNHarmony
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Diana does a superb vocal on this classic. Since no other Supreme was within miles of the recording studio it should really be considered a Diana solo. The 'other one' likes to claim it was one of her favorite records to make. Guess that hypnotist wasn't too good!

jobeterob
02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Billboard, for many purposes, does consider it and Someday We'll Be Together as Diana Ross songs for tallying #1 records.

marv2
02-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Billboard, for many purposes, does consider it and Someday We'll Be Together as Diana Ross songs for tallying #1 records.

I never heard that before except from you.

khansperac
02-12-2019, 09:02 PM
It’s credited to DIANA ROSS & The Supremes. Technically she does get the credit. With that being said, and Billboards rules, I’ve only seen articles and publications site 6 number ones. But technically she is credited for 8.

midnightman
02-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Yup. Stated perfectly. Could be THE perfect Motown single.

It's one of the greatest singles ever but I wouldn't call it that. LOL

vgalindo
02-13-2019, 12:45 AM
I never heard that before except from you.
Doesn't matter. It technically is a Diana Ross solo record! No Mary or Cindy on the record.

jobeterob
02-13-2019, 02:03 AM
He doesn’t like that Billboard rule

bradsupremes
02-13-2019, 02:08 AM
It's one of the greatest singles ever but I wouldn't call it that. LOL

I was just listening to it full blast in stereo. Damn, it’s so good. The Funk Brothers were such masters. To think they threw that thing together [[written, recorded, mixed, and released) within a week’s time is pretty damn impressive and for it to go number one and become their best selling single up to that time is even more impressive.

Bluebrock
02-13-2019, 03:42 AM
Diana does a superb vocal on this classic. Since no other Supreme was within miles of the recording studio it should really be considered a Diana solo. The 'other one' likes to claim it was one of her favorite records to make. Guess that hypnotist wasn't too good!
Agreed. To all intents and purposes this was a Diana Ross solo single. She sounds superb on what is one of the defining late 60's Motown records.

midnightman
02-13-2019, 02:47 PM
I was just listening to it full blast in stereo. Damn, it’s so good. The Funk Brothers were such masters. To think they threw that thing together [[written, recorded, mixed, and released) within a week’s time is pretty damn impressive and for it to go number one and become their best selling single up to that time is even more impressive.

One thing that hits me when I do play the track today: that intro and then the drama building up before Diana sings it. It takes you to an apartment in the ghetto where a woman is struggling to deal with what's become of her as she's out there lonely in the world with a child.

Understandably, radio stations weren't sure of playing it [[black and "white") because of the subject matter. Only when Berry threatened to pull all of his Motown catalog away from radio stations did they play it!

This was serious territory that Motown before had never attacked. But yeah when you put it like that, I see why it can be seen as the powerful performance Motown ever produced.

marv2
07-15-2019, 11:22 PM
I´m very glad that we have a live version of the song with all three real Supremes on Farewell, because it is a monster Hit, sadly only recorded by Diana Ross in the studio, so I prefer in studio versions Syreeta´s and I´m curious of The Blackberries version, which I never heard.

Yes indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26kog21fmE

Ollie9
07-16-2019, 04:16 AM
i think it's a great song and love it. but i will admit that it's a bit contrived. with Marvin's What's Going On not only was it a dynamic new sound from him but it was genuine. from his heart and you knew he truly cared about this

Diana's performance is classic but it's hard to reconcile their glamour girl and sequin image with this new sound and song. True during this time the girls endorsed Humphrey and they added the MLK speech to Somewhere. but still i never got a sense that the "group" wanted to do something different and important. It did seem that when Jean joined, the shift to more focus on peace love and humanity was genuine and therefore it worked. LC was a calculated effort to hit #1. and add some street cred. i think you could have had totally different lyrics about heartbreak and loss and kept the instrumental track and still probably have had a hit

I totally agree. A great record, but a tad contrived. Diana was never a political girl and always appeared happier in something sparkly. She does sing the song with great conviction though but that has always been one of her major talents.

Ollie9
07-16-2019, 05:56 AM
One thing that hits me when I do play the track today: that intro and then the drama building up before Diana sings it. It takes you to an apartment in the ghetto where a woman is struggling to deal with what's become of her as she's out there lonely in the world with a child.

Understandably, radio stations weren't sure of playing it [[black and "white") because of the subject matter. Only when Berry threatened to pull all of his Motown catalog away from radio stations did they play it!

This was serious territory that Motown before had never attacked. But yeah when you put it like that, I see why it can be seen as the powerful performance Motown ever produced.

Interesting post . I didn't know about Berry and radio play for the song

detmotownguy
07-17-2019, 12:14 AM
Thanks for posting Marv. I had my brother separate out the “background”. M and C sound pretty damn good.

marv2
07-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting Marv. I had my brother separate out the “background”. M and C sound pretty damn good.

You are most welcome DET! They do a great job on this song.

144man
07-17-2019, 03:17 PM
I don't think including the missing verse would have made any difference to the song's success. The Syreeta demo doesn't have the "I'll always love you" on the fade out which I think really enhances the record.

kenneth
07-18-2019, 06:12 PM

I find Syreeta's version to be kind of a hodgepodge. She seems to rush through the lyrics and to me the verses don't make as much of a throughline as in the Supremes' version. Her voice and delivery is flawless but to me her version of the song just doesn't make sense somehow.

Bluebrock
07-19-2019, 02:35 AM
I find Syreeta's version to be kind of a hodgepodge. She seems to rush through the lyrics and to me the verses don't make as much of a throughline as in the Supremes' version. Her voice and delivery is flawless but to me her version of the song just doesn't make sense somehow.
I agree. Syreeta's version left me stone cold. I find it to be an dull and empty experience. There is no soul or emotion there.

Circa 1824
07-20-2019, 04:56 PM
I agree. Syreeta's version left me stone cold. I find it to be an dull and empty experience. There is no soul or emotion there.

Syreeta’s voice on Love Child has a chipmunk quality to it.

marv2
07-20-2019, 05:27 PM
She sounds alright. She just does not sound forceful enough for this type of song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_sxDAxiiiI

PeaceNHarmony
07-20-2019, 07:03 PM
I agree. Syreeta's version left me stone cold. I find it to be an dull and empty experience. There is no soul or emotion there.Well stated. A stellar performance by Diana Ross and the Andantes that will never be topped.

milven
07-21-2019, 12:49 AM
An extended mix of LOVE CHILD with the rare verse originally left out of the hit version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCb3VSLX38U

Ollie9
07-21-2019, 04:34 AM
She sounds alright. She just does not sound forceful enough for this type of song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_sxDAxiiiI

To be fair to the lovely Syreeta, few or perhaps any who attempt to cover a Diana Ross song ever come out sounding better............me thinks.

Bluebrock
07-21-2019, 08:55 AM
To be fair to the lovely Syreeta, few or perhaps any who attempt to cover a Diana Ross song ever come out sounding better............me thinks.
Good point. There are technically better singers out there but no-one can grasp a lyric like her and make it into something truly unique and special . She has a fantastic gift for interpreting a song like no-one else before or since.

thommg
07-21-2019, 11:23 AM
If I remember correctly, Syreeta didn't cover Love Child, she recorded the demo of it. Who knows how fast it was done in order to get it to Diana Ross to learn! I can't imagine that Syreeta recorded it expecting it to ever be heard, rather it was to be a vocal guide. I think we're pretty lucky that it was released and we are able to hear it at all.

milven
07-21-2019, 12:50 PM
If I remember correctly, Syreeta didn't cover Love Child, she recorded the demo of it. Who knows how fast it was done in order to get it to Diana Ross to learn! I can't imagine that Syreeta recorded it expecting it to ever be heard, rather it was to be a vocal guide. I think we're pretty lucky that it was released and we are able to hear it at all.

Good point. When I listened to the song above for the first time, I wondered if this was just a demo that was not meant to be heard by us and she sang it without giving it her all, but just as a guide.

That being said, after Diana recorded the song, she owned it.

gman
07-21-2019, 12:52 PM
It was a great record...still is....that note the background singer hits! I always thought it sounded a tad bit slowed down on GHVol.3....I loved the song. I liked the 2nd performance I the pink suits better than the first....I remember when FAREWELL was released... I was so excited to see LC listed on the clear label sticker on the back of the shrink. Played it and thought OMG! what have they done! the racey Vegas arrangements ruined so much of the well known songs.

luke
07-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Did Syreeta record it as a demo for Diana?

TomatoTom123
07-21-2019, 08:47 PM
I liked Syreeta's version, it wasn't amazing, but it was not bad at all. But, "Love Child" is Diana & The Supremes' song. :cool:

vgalindo
07-21-2019, 10:48 PM
I liked Syreeta's version, it wasn't amazing, but it was not bad at all. But, "Love Child" is Diana & The Supremes' song. :cool:
It’s actually a Diana Ross and Andantes song.

Roberta75
07-22-2019, 01:40 AM

Thats a real interesting question Marv. Either way Syreta doesnt sound good on it.

Ollie9
07-22-2019, 05:38 AM

Which in turn makes it a Diana Ross solo record.

jack020
07-22-2019, 07:17 AM

How about Its My Turn by Aretha?

y

RanRan79
07-22-2019, 09:42 AM

Sure, and "My Baby Loves Me" is actually a Martha Reeves and the Four Tops and the Andantes song. Good luck getting people to credit it that way. "Love Child" will remain in history as a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. No use waging a campaign against it 50 years later.:p

RanRan79
07-22-2019, 09:59 AM

How about Its My Turn by Aretha?

y

That's a no for me Jack. My two favs covering each other is great in theory but not always in practice. Diana's "It's My Turn" is brilliant IMO. From the opening where it's just Diana's beautiful voice and minimal instrumentation, where she seems to be in a mental place of figuring out who she used to be vs who she is now and where she wants to go, to the musical buildup where she seems more forceful and sure of herself that it is indeed her turn. She turns in a great vocal performance. Heartfelt. I feel it. It's believable.

On the other hand, while IMO both Aretha and Diana are among the absolute best lyrical interpreters ever, Ree's version falls a bit flat for me. First mistake was the background singers. Unnecessary. It should have just been Aretha and the band. The background singers take away from the experience for me. Also the track seems slower than Diana's version and I don't think the slower pace works as well as Diana's at all. On top of that, where Diana comes across as a woman who is living the lyrics, the Queen comes across like she's simply singing what was handed to her. The way she approaches the song vocally makes it hard to believe that this is a woman who is only now figuring out that it's her turn. She sounds like a woman who's had this figured out for years now and that doesn't jive with the tone of the lyrics. There's no way Aretha's version tops Diana's, IMO. Of course it's not a bad cover. On it's own it's cool, for what it is and who it is. But it ultimately doesn't work as well.

However, Aretha's cover of "You Keep Me Hangin On" is great. Not better than the Supremes, but on it's own it's a great cover. Aretha brought her own thing to it but it meshed well with the lyrics, something that didn't happen on "It's My Turn".

khansperac
07-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Regarding “it’s my turn”, Aretha’s version of this song is the perfect example of why a bigger voice doesn’t always mean a better singer. Now I’m not saying that Diana is a better singer, but in the case of this song, Diana’s phrasing and overall feeling is much more heartfelt than Aretha’s.

vgalindo
07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Which in turn makes it a Diana Ross solo record.
So true. I agree 💯

TomatoTom123
07-23-2019, 08:09 PM
I didn't even think about it not actually being a Diana & The Supremes song... it just is, even if it isn't, if that makes any sense at all. :p

marv2
07-23-2019, 08:16 PM
It's just like how the DJ announces it in the first clip in this thread. To the rest of the World, it is a "Supremes" song and record. Especially since Diana Ross was still one of the Supremes when it was recorded.

vgalindo
07-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Sure, and "My Baby Loves Me" is actually a Martha Reeves and the Four Tops and the Andantes song. Good luck getting people to credit it that way. "Love Child" will remain in history as a Diana Ross and the Supremes song. No use waging a campaign against it 50 years later.:p
No waging a campaign against it. We all know it was credited to Diana Ross and the Supremes! Just stating the facts that Mary and Cindy are not on the record. Since there are some Supremes fans who state they only like the records due to the background of the Supremes.

144man
07-25-2019, 12:55 PM

All the necessary information is there in "Don't Forget the Motor City".

jobucats
07-25-2019, 01:07 PM
"Love Child" is now solidly middle-aged! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Cq5P6JIjs

Great song. It's interesting that the YouTuber who posted this took the Ed Sullivan performance [[which was performed live...or at least with another track) and edited it to add the studio audio version resulting in the audio being "sped" up to match the video. [[Great editing job, by the way). The original version is in the key of A minor and this appears to be in Bb minor. I noticed because it sounded a bit "chip monkish" to me. This is just an observation; not an indictment so there is no need to hurl rotten eggs at me.

TheMotownManiac
07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
I didn't even think about it not actually being a Diana & The Supremes song... it just is, even if it isn't, if that makes any sense at all. :p

It makes perfect sense to me, as “The Supremes” in the 60’s, is any group of singers singing bg for Diana Ross. It’s a PERFECT record period.