PDA

View Full Version : 40 Soul Music Stars Lost in 2018

test

PeaceNHarmony
12-18-2018, 04:47 PM
https://www.soultracks.com/deaths-2018

daviddesper
12-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Thanks for posting this. It definitely has been a rough year, especially for our divas.

sansradio
12-19-2018, 03:51 AM
Ditto. I had no idea that Danny Pearson had passed.

marv2
12-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Ditto. I had no idea that Danny Pearson had passed.

Same here regarding Danny Pearson. I was sadly shocked when I saw his name and picture on the list.

sansradio
12-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Same here regarding Danny Pearson. I was sadly shocked when I saw his name and picture on the list.

Looking at the list again, I noticed an omission: "Big" Jim Wright of Sounds of Blackness/Jam & Lewis fame. Ironically, I just learned of his October passing yesterday as well.

StuBass1
12-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Just the reality of the artists of that era during it's heyday in the 60's and 70's...baby boomers are approaching that age...and the entertainment business is a tough one to survive and many issues of being involved with that lifestyle [[travel, working odd hours and schedules, inconsistent workload, financial issues, and other factors) can also impact life expectancy...It's a sacrifice that many performers had to choose in order to pursue their chosen occupation in life...

marv2
12-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Just the reality of the artists of that era during it's heyday in the 60's and 70's...baby boomers are approaching that age...and the entertainment business is a tough one to survive and many issues of being involved with that lifestyle [[travel, working odd hours and schedules, inconsistent workload, financial issues, and other factors) can also impact life expectancy...It's a sacrifice that many performers had to choose in order to pursue their chosen occupation in life...

Very insightful and true StuBass. It is a cut throat business and one that lacks a lot of benefits such as paid healthcare and retirement plans.

TomatoTom123
12-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Wow, it's sad to see them all listed like that, and all in 2018. Thanks for sharing PNH.

manny
12-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Here's a bit of the list by "Any Major Dude" a very good and eclecthical in musical taste blog:

SOUL/FUNK/GOSPEL/HIP HOP/DANCE
Aretha Franklin, 76, soul and gospel singer, songwriter, pianist, on Aug. 16
Dennis Edwards, 74, soul singer [[The Temptations), on Feb. 1
Denise LaSalle, 78, soul and blues singer, on Jan. 8
John ‘Jabo’ Starks, 79, drummer with James Brown’s J.B.s, on May 1
Avicii, 28, Swedish house musician, producer and DJ, on April 20
Edwin Hawkins, 74, American gospel musician, on Jan. 15
Clarence Fountain, 88, founding member of The Blind Boys of Alabama, on June 3
Danny Woods, 73, co-founder of soul group Chairmen of the Board, on January 13
Barbara Alston, 74, singer with The Crystals, on Feb. 16
Yvonne Staples, 80, baritone singer with The Staple Singers, on April 10
Lovebug Starski, 57, rapper and DJ, on Feb. 8

JAZZ/EASY LISTENING
Hugh Masekela, 78, South African jazz trumpeter, on Jan. 23
Vic Damone, 89, crooner, on Feb. 11
Keely Smith, 89, jazz singer, on Dec. 16
Cecil Taylor, 89, pioneering free jazz pianist and poet, on April 5
Randy Weston, 92, jazz pianist and composer, on Sept. 1

BLUES/REGGAE
Trevor McNaughton, 77, singer with Jamaican reggae band The Melodians, on Nov. 20
Lazy Lester, 85, blues musician, on Aug. 22
Otis Rush, 84, blues guitarist and singer, on Sept. 29
Irvin Jarrett, 69, percussionist of reggae band Third World, on July 31
Norris Weir, 72, singer of rocksteady band The Jamaicans and gospel singer, on Nov. 16

The list is made by diferent music styles. You can see the complete list [[pop, rock, country, folk, english artists,...) here:

http://www.halfhearteddude.com

Among many others [[some are unknown for me) I feel so bad for Clarence Fountain from the great Five Blind Boys and for the great Edwin Hawkin: I STARRTED TO APRECIATE SOUL MUSIC IN MY CHILDHOOD HEARDING "OH HAPPY DAY" AND PHIL TRIM Y LOS POP TOPS "OH LORD, WHY LORD" AND "MAMI BLUE" AT THE RADIO! :-[[

lockhartgary
12-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Had no idea Eugene Pitt passed this year.