View Full Version : The Lollipops 1969 - "There Was"

test

marv2
12-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEGg6ZCzGs

lakeside
12-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Thanks for posting, Marv. I've always been fascinated by this group, but have found
out very little info on them.

marv2
12-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Thanks for posting, Marv. I've always been fascinated by this group, but have found
out very little info on them.

You're most welcome Lakeside. These girls could sing. I had not been aware of them before now.

snakepit
12-12-2018, 05:20 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loIB-e2kmEE

Northern Soul classic ...prior to joining Motown

marv2
12-12-2018, 05:30 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loIB-e2kmEE

Northern Soul classic ...prior to joining Motown

This song actually sounds more like early Motown than what they recorded on VIP. Thanks Snakepit.

snakepit
12-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Should do....recorded in Detroit, arranged by Mike Terry, and no doubt several Funk Bros playing on it.

marv2
12-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Should do....recorded in Detroit, arranged by Mike Terry, and no doubt several Funk Bros playing on it.

Excellent. I would not be surprised if some of the individual members of this group found further work in the music industry. They do sing very well.

snakepit
12-12-2018, 05:43 PM
They were linked to Duke Browner who took them to Motown when he joined, I think with Harry Balk. Ralph would probably know more.

marv2
12-12-2018, 06:00 PM
They were linked to Duke Browner who took them to Motown when he joined, I think with Harry Balk. Ralph would probably know more.

I would like to know more about them especially their individual names.

luke
12-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Did they record new stuff at Motown or just their old Ric Tic stuff? If I have that right. Wernt they a carry over from there?

Roger Polhill
12-12-2018, 11:34 PM
The lead singer is Arenita Walker [[who also writes) they have 7 tracks released so far with "Love Is The Only Answer" to come hopefully more.I really like them and I can`t believe how they were ignored at Motown.
Songs are:
"Cheating Is Telling On You"
"Need Your Love"
"Look What You`ve Done Boy"
"Sweet Sweet Love"
"In The Summer"
"Go For Yourself"
"There Was"

marv2
12-13-2018, 01:36 AM
The lead singer is Arenita Walker [[who also writes) they have 7 tracks released so far with "Love Is The Only Answer" to come hopefully more.I really like them and I can`t believe how they were ignored at Motown.
Songs are:
"Cheating Is Telling On You"
"Need Your Love"
"Look What You`ve Done Boy"
"Sweet Sweet Love"
"In The Summer"
"Go For Yourself"
"There Was"

Thank you Roger.

marv2
12-13-2018, 01:44 AM
I just learned that Arenita Walker is 73 and still lives in Detroit.

marv2
12-13-2018, 01:51 AM
Here is a video hers that looks like it may be from the 80s or early 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXEcQbG_NHM&fbclid=IwAR07jwVDmrTdQTKmFpbgsglCj3ZrM6BiPoblv3Ez_ y8QfhWquchBvKyGWsw

Roger Polhill
12-13-2018, 03:21 AM
A pleasure Marv.
I read that Harry Balk brought them to Motown with the Impact label.
Wow she is still around that`s wonderful, thank you Arenita. Their sound is laid back enough to be just right for summer here in NZ.
And the Funks are on the backing!

snakepit
12-13-2018, 06:25 AM
Did they record new stuff at Motown or just their old Ric Tic stuff? If I have that right. Wernt they a carry over from there?

They were never on Ric Tic but Impact Label.

TomatoTom123
12-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEGg6ZCzGs

Nice track marv! Not sure anyone is going to remember the song though, with it being unreleased until 2018 and everything!!!!! :p:D

woodward
12-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Nice track marv! Not sure anyone is going to remember the song though, with it being unreleased until 2018 and everything!!!!! :p:D

I totally agree, great song. Never heard it before. I especially enjoyed seeing some of the rare VIP records that were portrayed in the video. Thank you.

robb_k
12-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Actually, Harry Balk was hired by Berry Gordy as a producer, and adviser, and he brought Browner, The Volumes, The Lollipops, and a few others with him to Motown.

snakepit
12-14-2018, 06:09 AM
Actually, Harry Balk was hired by Berry Gordy as a producer, and adviser, and he brought Browner, The Volumes, The Lollipops, and a few others with him to Motown.

That's what I meant to say Robb.

motownjohnny
12-14-2018, 05:39 PM
That's what I meant to say Robb.

Harry Balk was brought in by Berry Gordy to run Motown's newly set up progressive rock label Rare Earth rather than as a producer.

H.B. already had the necessary experience thru running Impact Records with local Detroit garage bands like The Volumes and The Human Beings and the commercially successful "Shades Of Blue", who had the original hit with "Oh How Happy". When he joined Motown he brought several of his acts with him, like Mickey Denton and The Lollipops, both of whom over the following years had singles released by Motown.