PDA

View Full Version : Meet The Supremes UK

test

sup_fan
12-10-2018, 04:22 PM
what was the song lineup for this lp? i know it included WDOLG. what about Baby Love and Come See about Me? and what album/other tracks from MTS and WDOLG lps did it include?

danman869
12-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Check it out: https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes-Meet-The-Supremes/release/2417532

sup_fan
12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
good lord! what an oddly uneven motley lineup to introduce the Supremes to the UK! lolol it's as if they closed their eyes and points to the track listings on their first several albums lolol.

danman869
12-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Exactly! LOL

johnjeb
12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
good lord! what an oddly uneven motley lineup to introduce the Supremes to the UK! lolol it's as if they closed their eyes and points to the track listings on their first several albums lolol.

Although I like all the songs listed, it appears to be a dreadful compilation. I wonder why the UK release in 12/64 wasn't the same as the US WDOLG release of 8/64, even if they wanted to change the name of the album. In the US Meet was reissued in 1965 with a new cover. I can imagine the UK would have done the same, probably with a different name, especially since they did release Country, Sam Cooke and Liverpool in 1965 without altering the content.

I looked at discogs and it appears that 3 songs from the US Meet album [[Who's loving You, He's Seventeen and Let Me Go The Right Way) and 8 songs from the US WDOLG album [[Run Run Run, Baby Love, Come See About Me, Long Gone Lover, I'm Giving You Your Freedom, Breathtaking Guy, He Means The World To Me, Your Kiss of Fire and Ask Any Girl) were not issued on albums in the UK [[except Ask Any Girl on MH). So did UK fans who wanted everything by them have to rely on imports of those first two US albums or did those songs appear on other UK releases in 1965? [[Only two of those songs were flips: He Means The World To Me and Ask Any Girl)

sup_fan
12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
i agree - it would seem that the wiser move would been to simply issue WDOLG in the UK at Meet the Supremes. unless they were attempting to earn some royalties on those early tunes. but they oddly left Baby Love and Come See About Me off the set in favor of the garbage they did include! odd

copley
12-11-2018, 07:57 PM
https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes-Meet-The-Supremes/release/2417532

We went from this mix up straight to 'More Hits'. 'Where Did Our Love Go' was not issued in the UK. As for imports, this was 1964! Remember in the UK it was the Motown sound that was catching on - just! Who the artists were was of little importance. The biggest hit makers by '68 were the Four Tops followed by the Supremes.

snakepit
12-11-2018, 08:13 PM
It is a strange choice of tracks.
I wonder if the Tamla Motown Appreciation Society had some input...it was issued on Stateside prior to Tamla Motown label being started. Perhaps EMI had no 'Motown' office at that point and sought TMAS views.

copley
12-11-2018, 08:34 PM
That's what I thought. It seemed to work as it reached #13!

RanRan79
12-11-2018, 10:52 PM
i agree - it would seem that the wiser move would been to simply issue WDOLG in the UK at Meet the Supremes. unless they were attempting to earn some royalties on those early tunes. but they oddly left Baby Love and Come See About Me off the set in favor of the garbage they did include! odd

Hey, one man's garbage...you know the rest.:p Very odd assortment of tracks. Certainly allowed the UK to meet every Supreme.

gman
12-12-2018, 11:22 AM
I actually had a copy of this! I found it in the bargain bin of a 5/10 style store in 1970. It was right there in the front of the bin, and I thought it was WDOLG Lp. ...the UK was accustomed to stand alone singles....the singles often didn't appear on the standard 12-14 track LPS...Beatles, Stones etc...the US versions were likely to be a mash up of LP tracks, A & B sides, as well as UK issue EP only tracks.... 7" 4 cut EP's were very popular releases in Europe through the mid 60's.

marybrewster
12-13-2018, 12:54 AM
I wonder if this was rushed prior to "Baby Love" and "CSAM" being released as singles? Does anyone know the exact street date of "Meet the Supremes" UK?

westgrandboulevard
12-13-2018, 04:41 AM
Mary,

...from 'Motown : The History', by Sharon Davis :

Stateside SL 10109 - Meet The Supremes; December 1964

Stateside 327 Where Did Our Love Go; August 1964

Stateside 350 Baby Love ; October 1964

Stateside 376 Come See About Me ; January 1965

johnjeb
12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
I'm still puzzled that the UK Meet album released 12/64 didn't have the same content as the US WDOLG album released 08/64.

However, looking at the songs included on the UK release it appears that all but two songs, Baby Don't Go and Play A Sad Song [[two of my favorites), were either an A-side or B-side of a US single. That may have been the rationale for the track listing, whether done by Motown US or a UK representative for Stateside. Surprising that stronger sides from the 10 US singles [[20 songs) weren't chosen such as Let Me Go The Right Way or Breathtaking Guy, for example. Although, as was pointed out in another post, it is nice to see that there were leads by each of The Supremes included.

From the UK references that I have, books by Sharon Davis, Tony Brown, and Terry Wilson, I see that only Lovelight, WDOLG and Baby Love were singles [[with the same flips as US) prior to the UK Meet album's release.

Songs from the US Meet and the US WDOLG albums that did not seem to appear on vinyl, either on a 45, or as an album track for The Supremes or Motown Hits Collections in the 1960s seem to be: Who's Loving You, He's Seventeen, Run Run Run, Long Gone Lover, I'm Giving You Your Freedom, Your Kiss Of Fire.

Of course UK collectors may be able to clarify or correct my "research" conclusions. Next week I will be seeing a UK friend who is a Motown collector from that time who might be able to give me some insight.

144man
12-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Motown had just got its first album releases through Stateside, so rather than releasing more than one album per artist, EMI decided to combine tracks from the last couple of albums into one. The same thing happened with Mary Wells and with the Marvelettes.