PDA

View Full Version : Unedited LP vs Edited Singles

test

marybrewster
11-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Wondering if there are any examples in the Supremes catalog where a single release [[edited) is different from a LP [[unedited) inclusion.

Was thinking about the single "Love Child" and how the LP could have included the 3rd verse while the single release could have been the 2 verse version.

reese
11-19-2018, 11:04 AM
STONED LOVE, RIVER DEEP-MOUNTAIN HIGH, I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING, and LET YOURSELF GO were edited for single release. There could be more from the 70s but those are the ones I know for sure.

sup_fan
11-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Someday - lp starts with the tambourine intro, single does not.
Touch - shorter ending [[although very poorly edited, as if a 3rd grader using Garage Band was trying to do it)
Floy Joy has multiple different edits. on the 70s Anthology we finally got the fully unedited version. But there have been a variety of versions out there usually with different edits to the endings
You Keep Me Hanging On - the single and HDH lp version are different from the Motown Story lp version

There are also multiple differences between mono singles and stereo lp tracks. sometimes even different vocal takes

You Can't Hurry Love
Up The Ladder
Touch

sup_fan
11-19-2018, 11:32 AM
forgot one

the mono version of Back In My Arms has a different backing vocal track than the stereo lp version

nathanj06
11-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Someday on Cream Of The Crop does not have the tambourine intro. Perhaps you meant the version from one of those Motown compilation albums which it does.

JohnnyB
11-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Someday on Cream Of The Crop does not have the tambourine intro. Perhaps you meant the version from one of those Motown compilation albums which it does.

I’m Living In Shame comes to mind—ironically the single mix in mono is a bit longer than the LP version...

sup_fan
11-19-2018, 04:27 PM

i'm pretty sure the original lp does. the cd version of the album does not

reese
11-19-2018, 04:56 PM
i'm pretty sure the original lp does. the cd version of the album does not

I have the original album. It begins with the familiar violins opening.

Sotosound
11-19-2018, 05:06 PM
STONED LOVE, RIVER DEEP-MOUNTAIN HIGH, I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING, and LET YOURSELF GO were edited for single release. There could be more from the 70s but those are the ones I know for sure.

"You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart" is another. In the UK we got the full-length version released as a single in stereo.

We got what I believe is the full-length "Floy Joy" on the LP release of Motown Chartbusters Volume 7. It includes a little instrumental pause in the fade.

In the case of "The Composer", the album version is possibly longer simply by virtue of running at the right speed!

"The Number 1s" CD is a way to explore alternative edits and mixes. It's always an interesting listen, even if not all of the remixes succeed 100%. What it does include is the full-length main part of "Stoned Love" minus the piano-led orchestral intro. This edit [[but not this mix) is what we got on Motown Chartbusters Volume 6, but what we get nearly everywhere these days is a "single edit" of the stereo mix, i.e. shorter intro and no sax break in the middle plus the horrible [[IMHO) edit that replaces it.

sup_fan
11-19-2018, 06:08 PM
yeah the Stoned Love track on the #1 was a poor remix of the original. like they sucked the lifeblood out of the song

also on Reflections they skip a beat before going into the last chorus

johnjeb
11-19-2018, 06:50 PM

I think both versions of Cream Of The Crop were released simultaneously or within days/weeks in 1969 - but I could be mistaken.

My original COTC album that I received for Christmas in 1969 does not have the tambourine intro.

Years later I learned of the COTC album with the tambourine intro from friends who also purchased the album at the time of release or very early in 1970. I finally found one in the late 1990s at a used record shop that allowed listening to potential purchases.

I don't fully understand record matrix numbers and other numerical scratchings in the run-off area of a record. I did notice differences in these numbers in the different albums on Side 1 but the same numbers on both albums for Side 2.

Album WITHOUT tambourine intro:
Side 1: HS-1652-5; X4RS-4332-2
Album WITH tambourine intro:
Side 1: HS-1652-3; X4RS-4332-1

Both albums:
Side 2: HS-1653-4; X4RS-4333-2

The inside paper sleeve for the album without tambourine intro features Motown Fan Bag on both sides - dated 1969. The tambourine intro inside paper sleeve features Motown Fan Kit on one side and color pics of albums [[including GH V3[!]) on the reverse - dated 1970. Not sure if this is relevant but worth noting.

bradsupremes
11-19-2018, 07:09 PM
Wow, I didn't know this. I'll have to check my copy and see which version I have.

rovereab
11-19-2018, 07:26 PM
There's a "tiny edit" towards the end of the single version of I Thought It Took A Little Time. Didn't achieve very much at all IMO.

milven
11-19-2018, 09:13 PM

The first pressings of Cream of the Crop did have the tamboreen. Later pressings did not have it. I am not 100% sure on this, but I do recall originally having the LP with the tamboreen intro. Maybe it was in mono. I was switching from mono to stereo back then.

I wonder if Google could answer this

kenneth
11-19-2018, 09:38 PM
The first pressings of Cream of the Crop did have the tamboreen. Later pressings did not have it. I am not 100% sure on this, but I do recall originally having the LP with the tamboreen intro. Maybe it was in mono. I was switching from mono to stereo back then.

I wonder if Google could answer this

"Cream of the Crop" wasn't issued in Mono, at least not in the US. I don't think Motown was even doing its "DJ Only" Mono releases by that point. Of course, now I want to rush home and find my copy of the original LP to see if it has the tambourine or not!

reese
11-19-2018, 09:53 PM
"Cream of the Crop" wasn't issued in Mono, at least not in the US. I don't think Motown was even doing its "DJ Only" Mono releases by that point. Of course, now I want to rush home and find my copy of the original LP to see if it has the tambourine or not!

You and me both! I just remembered I bought another copy of COTC because my first copy had severe ring wear.