PDA

View Full Version : President OBAMA will host a concert,Celebrating Motown,on March 1, 2011

test

REDHOT
02-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I just got the great news,about President OBAMA Celebrating Motown,on March 1,2011,at 8pm,on PBS,This is great news.The only artist that will be performing from the old day,is SMOKEY ROBINSON,and STEVIE WONDER,I think that MARY WILSON,and THE TEMPTATION should be included,What do you think ?
Please stay positive

marv2
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
I just got the great news,about President OBAMA Celebrating Motown,on March 1,2011,at 8pm,on PBS,This is great news.The only artist that will be performing from the old day,is SMOKEY ROBINSON,and STEVIE WONDER,I think that MARY WILSON,and THE TEMPTATION should be included,What do you think ?
Please stay positive

I think they should be included too!

juicefree20
02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
It's problematic at best.

If you have The Temptations, since he led them on Grammy-winning hits, then it's only fair that Dennis Edwards be included.

As noted, that's problematic, at best.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
It's problematic at best.

If you have The Temptations, since he led them on Grammy-winning hits, then it's only fair that Dennis Edwards be included.

As noted, that's problematic, at best.

Not that anyone may care - I have been told - that no real problem exists at this time between Dennis and Otis - and that they talk often as friends.

I'am just saying what I was told - but kill the messenger if it makes you happy.

Kamasu_Jr
02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Better be careful with repeating what you've allegedly been told...you're already in the deep freeze because of what you were told about diana ross on Oprah.

smark21
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Not that anyone may care - I have been told - that no real problem exists at this time between Dennis and Otis - and that they talk often as friends.

I'am just saying what I was told - but kill the messenger if it makes you happy.

Given the source, it's safe to conclude that Dennis and Otis hate each other's guts.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Better be careful with repeating what you've allegedly been told...you're already in the deep freeze because of what you were told about diana ross on Oprah.

Oh really - as if I care!!!!!!!!!!! LOL such crazies.

juicefree20
02-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Topdiva:

I don't say that to be argumentative, nor to insinuate that there's a problem betwen the two.

Whenever I've been in his presence, I've never heard Dennis speak a cross word about Otis. I saw Otis a week ago & on no occasion when I've seen Otis has he spoken a cross word about Dennis. I believe that all is copasetic between them.

I said what I did because I know that fans would like to see Otis & as the lead singer of all of those hits, I believe that they'd like to see Dennis as well. I also believe that Dennis deserves such an honor.

I meant nothing more than that.

Roberta75
02-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh really - as if I care!!!!!!!!!!! LOL such crazies.

The First Book of Samuel says "Talk no more so exceeding proud and let not arrogancy come out of your mouth, for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him all actions are weighed"

You are a foolish woman to ignore your sins topdiva. Acknowledge the lies you have told and with the help and assistance of the Lord you can and will change. Only he can forgive you.

selbmarsh2000
02-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Sounds like more people are getting tired of TT

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Topdiva:

I don't say that to be argumentative, nor to insinuate that there's a problem betwen the two.

Whenever I've been in his presence, I've never heard Dennis speak a cross word about Otis. I saw Otis a week ago & on no occasion when I've seen Otis has he spoken a cross word about Dennis. I believe that all is copasetic between them.

I said what I did because I know that fans would like to see Otis & as the lead singer of all of those hits, I believe that they'd like to see Dennis as well. I also believe that Dennis deserves such an honor.

I meant nothing more than that.

So do you agree with my source - that a problem no longer exists between the two men - since you are yourself a witness to the fact that there is no ill will any longer?

Thanks.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds like more people are getting tired of TT

More STIRFRYSUPREME NUTTY OBSESSED WITH ROSS FANS - as if anyone cares.

selbmarsh2000
02-18-2011, 07:37 PM
The First Book of Samuel says "Talk no more so exceeding proud and let not arrogancy come out of your mouth, for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him all actions are weighed"

And Confucius say: He who eats too many prunes, sits on toilet many moons.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Please stay positive

This is a long over due tribute. I am glad it has finally happened. Hopefully the White HOuse will salute more Motown Singers soon.

juicefree20
02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Topdiva:

I have been around both men on more than a few occassions & can truthfully say that on every occasion, they both give respect to the other & acknowldege the accomplishments of both to their respective audiences.

topdiva1
02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Topdiva:

I have been around both men on more than a few occassions & can truthfully say that on every occasion, they both give respect to the other & acknowldege the accomplishments of both to their respective audiences.

Yes - thank you - and that is what I stated being told - that no problem exists between them. It would be wonderful if they all could appear together - Meaning Otis Temptations as well as Dennis Temptations. That is all I meant.

And I do thank you JUICEFREE 20 for responding in kind,

marv2
02-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Do you think we could ever get Otis, Dennis, Richard, Damon and perhaps Glen Carl together for a show?

REDHOT
02-23-2011, 07:23 AM
What's the latest info about this MOTOWN CELEBRATION ?
Please stay positive

marybrewster
02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
This Motown "celebration" is a joke. You've got Smokey Robinson. Isn't that all? I'm sorry, but Smoke is NOT Motown Records.

topdiva1
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Will Mr. Gordy be present?

jobeterob
02-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Obama to celebrate Motown at White House concert
The Associated Press
Thursday, February 24, 2011; 5:50 AM

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is celebrating classic rhythm and blues on Thursday, spotlighting the music of Motown in a White House concert.

Stars invited to tonight's event include Motown icon Smokey Robinson as well as contemporary singers Sheryl Crow and John Legend, who will perform Motown hits. It's the latest musical tribute hosted by the president and first lady, and will be broadcast March 1 on PBS.

Earlier Thursday, Obama will hold a meeting of his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. He will also meet separately with Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.

So, I guess it is just Smokey and I guess it will be on PBS.

It could be a lot more exciting.

Very few fans are interested in being told their favorite group members don't get along. A great deal more of it is made than really exists. Most of these people don't see each other often but as you can tell from every statement they ever make publicly, they all hold each other in reasonable regard even if there were some difficult moments in their heyday.

marv2
02-24-2011, 05:30 PM
This is going to be dullsville daddio! I am sure I will not be watching.

Kamasu_Jr
02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Frankly, I don't want to hear John Legend OR Sheryl Crow f--k up CLASSIC Motown. I don't care how much motown was for everyone. I'd rather see what real Motowners we have left. TOO BAD, OL' what's her name had to be out of the country. She could have seen Obama UPCLOSE.

jobeterob
02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I too will take Mary and Martha, Dennis and Otis, Lionel and Stevie over Sheryl and John.

jobeterob
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
From: Classic Motown [[Classic_Motown@ume.umusic-mail.com)
Sent: February 25, 2011 12:46:22 AM

PBS CELEBRATES MOTOWN'S LEGACY WITH BROADCAST
SPECIAL FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

Motown Fans - Tune in at 7:30pm [[ET) TODAY online at www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/to watch the performance live or Tune in on Tuesday March 1 at 8 pm [[ET) on your local PBS station.

Watch the full episode. See more In Performance at The White House.
' alias="In Performance At The White House" conversion="false">

President Obama and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major artists to the White House for "The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House," a concert celebrating Black History Month and the legacy of Motown Records.

The event will include legends from Motown's golden age and performances by artists from today, all in tribute to Motown's 50-year legacy. Performers include Smokey Robinson, Sheryl Crow, Jamie Foxx, Nick Jonas, Ledisi, John Legend, Seal and more!

"The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House," will be broadcast on PBS stations nationwide on Tuesday, March 1 at 8 p.m. [[ET). The program will also be broadcast via the American Forces Network on March 11 to American service men and women and civilians at U.S. Department of Defense locations around the world. Check your local listings here http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/airdates.php

TV ALERT - Diana Ross on OPRAH this FRIDAY, Feb 25!

Don't miss this rare opportunity to see Diana Ross as she joins Oprah Winfrey for a full hour of conversation and performances. Tune in this Friday to watch the show. Check your local listings for show times or click here!

Missing any Motown from your collection? Check out the Motown stores below

iTunes | Amazon

AVAILABLE

paladin
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Motown Fans - Tune in at 7:30pm [[ET) TODAY online at www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/to [[http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/to) watch the performance live or Tune in on Tuesday March 1 at 8 pm [[ET) on your local PBS station.

So far its been pretty dull and might I say quite pedestrian........Ok back to the Bulls/Heat........

juicefree20
02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Do you think we could ever get Otis, Dennis, Richard, Damon and perhaps Glen Carl together for a show?

Short Answer: Unfortunately, you & I would have a better chance of becoming the lead singers of The O'Jays!

By that, I mean that all of the gentlemen above are into their own thing, have their own groups & likely, schedules [[amongst other things) wouldn't allow such an occurrence.

skooldem1
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I tuned in at the last 20 minutes or so. Very interesting the little part I saw and not as bad as many would think. Let me give you my 20 minute rundown. First this was live unedited. That alone makes it more interesting to me. Stevie Wonder was singing and as they showed audience members swaying in their seats, I saw Martha Reeves. You go Martha. She is still the respected Martha Reeves and council woman or not, she made it to the White House, and to this function. Back to Stevie. After he finished singing, he said a little speech about Motown and Berry Gordy- who was also in the audience. At that moment, I noticed Smokey on stage. Stevie announced that he messed up what he was trying, or suppose to say and that he needed to do this over, and he did. With jokes thrown in about him not seeing the cue cards. He quickly jumped right back into this "moment" as if it had never happened and said the speech correctly. Show business is amazing this way. LoL. Then some of the younger artist started filling the stage and joined Stevie as they started singing "Dancing in the Streets". At that moment, I seriously felt tension in the air knowing that Martha Reeves had to sit in the audience while they sang her song. After the song was over but the band still playing as people played with the chorus, Smokey Robinson reached out and pulled Martha Reeves on to the stage as if to say, Martha this is YOUR song and you deserve to be up here. Then she took the mike and she gave a tribute to Berry singing it to the beat of "Dancing in the Streets". It was kind of an odd moment. You could almost sense that Berry and Smokey were thinking where is she going with this, and in an instant she caught up with the chorus/lyrics of the song and transitioned right into the real words, like a true professional. It was great seeing the President and First lady enjoying the music. At the end the President and First Lady came up on stage and to hear the President speak fondly of Motown and Berry, as a fan it was a proud moment. The President even gave a shout out to Martha Reeves and she looked so proud. At the end of the day, it may not have featured most of the actual Motown artist, but in those 20 minutes I saw you had Berry Gordy, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and Martha Reeves. I'd say at this point in time, 50 years later, that is a great representation. So yeah, I got all that from 20 minutes of the show. LoL.

smark21
02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Though I'm sure some of you will bitch and moan about last night's White House concert, here's an article from the Detroit News about last night's festivities.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110225/ENT04/102250382/Motown-sound-fills-the-White-House

MIKEW-UK
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
One perspective from a UK tabloid........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360408/Obamas-host-Motown-party-Black-History-Month-WHITE-artists-half-bill.html

jobeterob
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/02/25/natpkg.motown.whitehouse.pbs?hpt=T2

jobeterob
02-27-2011, 01:02 PM
By Steve Jones, USA TODAY

What: The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House, a concert celebrating Black History Month and Motown Records. It's a continuation of the music series hosted by President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama.

When: The tribute, taped Thursday night in the East Room, premieres Tuesday on PBS stations nationwide [[8 p.m. ET/PT, times may vary).

When: The tribute, taped Thursday night in the East Room, premieres Tuesday on PBS stations nationwide [[8 p.m. ET/PT, times may vary).

Who: Hosted by Jamie Foxx with performances by Foxx, Natasha Bedingfield, Sheryl Crow, Gloriana, Nick Jonas, Ledisi, Amber Riley, John Legend, Smokey Robinson, Mark Salling, Seal and Jordin Sparks.

Check out the crowd: The president greeted Motown legends sprinkled throughout the audience, calling the night a celebration of "the music that's at the heart of the American story."

Tempting start: The quartet of Foxx, Jonas, Seal and Legend performed a medley of Temptations hits —Get Ready, The Way You Do the Things You Do, I Can't Get Next to You and Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Foxx introduced Crow as a former Michael Jackson backup singer, and she bounced to the stage in a glittery pinstriped pantsuit for an enthusiastic I Want You Back.

Approval: Jonas crooned the Four Tops' I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) while lone surviving original Top Duke Fakir nodded his head to the beat.

Great Grapevine : Soul singer Ledisi performed one of Motown's earliest hits, Mary Wells' My Guy, spicing it up with a bit of scatting at the end. She proclaimed that Marvin Gaye wrote the greatest soul song ever in I Heard It Through the Grapevine, then Legend put his stamp on the song, with musical director Greg Phillinganes adding some wicked keyboard riffs.

Updated: Foxx turned Grapevine on its ear, singing I Heard It Through My Twitter, then I Heard It Through My Facebook. He teased Joe Biden about his age, saying that he knows the vice president remembers the '60s. Biden joked back that he remembered the '30s.

Supremacy: Bedingfield, Sparks and Ledisi formed a modern-day Supremes, taking a verse on Stop! In the Name of Love. Seal returned to the stage for The Tempts' My Girl. Bedingfield then gave a sweetly touching rendition of Robinson's The Tracks of My Tears.

Take two: Glee's Riley performed Stevie Wonder's Living for the City as Wonder rocked in his seat. Audio problems required her to do the number again. She was even more energetic the second time, ending with a flourish and holding the final notes.

Country glory: Country quartet Gloriana gave a stirring, guitar-assisted version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Glee's Mark Salling played guitar and smoothly crooned The Temptations' Just My Imagination.

On your feet: Sparks brought a sense of yearning to the uptempo Supremes hit You Can't Hurry Love, getting a standing ovation from Foxx. The entire audience leapt up when the seemingly ageless Robinson joined Crow onstage for You Really Got a Hold on Me.

Bonus performance: "I really came just to watch, but then Mr. President said we've added Stevie Wonder. So I couldn't just watch. I had to do a little something," Wonder said, slowly singing You Are the Sunshine of My Life. "Psalms Chapter 98, 4th Verse, says make a joyful noise, and Motown has made an incredibly joyful noise all over the world."

The all-star finale: Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' Dancing in the Street. Martha herself joined in with Wonder playing a little harmonica and Motown founder Berry Gordy beaming from the audience.

milven
03-02-2011, 01:26 AM
I too will take Mary and Martha, Dennis and Otis, Lionel and Stevie over Sheryl and John.

Did anyone watch this? Martha actually was there in the first row along with the surviving Four Top member, Smokey, Stevie, the President and his family and the Vice President and his wife and of course Berry.

I couldn't believe that the entire cast was singing the finale, Dancing In The Street, without Martha coming up on stage to join them. But then, she did. She asked them to bring it down a little. The song was not in her key and she had a little difficulty singing it. She sang a little and then let the cast finish the song while she danced to it.

I was set to not enjoy the show, but I actually liked it. Motown Music is Magic and, hopefully, always will be.

jillfoster
03-02-2011, 01:29 AM
and you notice whose song was chosen for the grand finale? Yep, ya got that RIGHT!

REDHOT
03-02-2011, 03:19 AM
I really enjoyed LEDISI,singing MY GUY.
Please stay positive

arjayvee
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I spotted Duke Fakir and Claudette Robinson both in the audience. Of the acts, I thought Sheryl Crow did a pretty good job with "I Want You Back," but Nick Jonas destroyed "I Can't Help Myself" and "The Way You Do the Things You Do." Painful! Seal was another huge disappointment.

robbert
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Sheryl Crow was awesome! So was Smokey.
Dancing WAS in her key, but Martha shouldn't have sung, period. I wish it were otherwise, for her sake, but it isn't.
'Bringing it down a little bit' means 'turn the volume down', not the key.

theboyfromxtown
03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Meanwhile, The Velvelettes - Motown's original ladies sat at home.

robbert
03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
John, so were Kim Weston, Thelma Houston, Chris Clark, Brenda Holloway, The Funk Bros and a handful of other Motown veterans.
Or maybe they were performing somewhere and had to say NO to the invitation? :D