PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Edwards the Songwriter

test

lockhartgary
11-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Sorry if this has been posted about before.

Many know that Aretha's "Daydreaming" was written by her about Dennis Edwards. She also recorded a song WRITTEN by Dennis Edwards - "You and Me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7_mi4da00

reese
11-09-2018, 05:27 PM
When Aretha originally recorded YOU AND ME, she was credited as the songwriter. I didn't see Dennis credited until it appeared on her THE QUEEN OF SOUL boxed set on Atlantic. I wondered if Dennis gave her credit to avoid Jobete?

lockhartgary
11-09-2018, 06:01 PM
When Aretha originally recorded YOU AND ME, she was credited as the songwriter. I didn't see Dennis credited until it appeared on her THE QUEEN OF SOUL boxed set on Atlantic. I wondered if Dennis gave her credit to avoid Jobete?

Interesting. I didn't know about her being credited originally. The book I read in which I learned Dennis wrote the song [[The Billboard book of #1 Rhythm and Blues Hits) makes no mention of Aretha getting writing credit originally.

reese
11-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Interesting. I didn't know about her being credited originally. The book I read in which I learned Dennis wrote the song [[The Billboard book of #1 Rhythm and Blues Hits) makes no mention of Aretha getting writing credit originally.

She is credited on both the single as well as the SPIRIT IN THE DARK album. But when I read later that Dennis wrote it, I wasn't surprised. The line in the song "You know, TEMPTATION works on us too" was probably a hint.

TomatoTom123
11-09-2018, 09:22 PM
I had no idea about either of these things. I had also never listened to either track, both of which I really like. I had no idea Aretha and Dennis were romantically involved!!!!!! So cute!!! [[Just looked it up, apparently they were even engaged at one point!) :)