PDA

View Full Version : Supremes rehersal and Interview

test

luke
11-08-2018, 12:40 AM
I saw a different version of this before but only the interview. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V1U38OjyHZQ&t=183s

RanRan79
11-08-2018, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I think the version I saw didn't have all of this footage. A very interesting interview. The common story is always that by this point Mary and Cindy were supposed to be seen and not heard, per Gordy and Ross. But here we have Diana saying she doesn't want to talk too much and the other girls surely have something to say. So was this an anomaly or one of those instances where the evidence suggests an exaggeration of the facts? Whatever the case, it's historical footage. I love it. I hope more of this kind of stuff surfaces, especially from Flo's time in the group.

thanxal
11-08-2018, 06:23 AM
So was this an anomaly or one of those instances where the evidence suggests an exaggeration of the facts? What?!? You mean people would stretch the truth about the Supremes to grind their own axes???? Shocked. I’m shocked I tell you.

blackguy69
11-08-2018, 09:27 AM
I posted this video earlier this year the version posted included their arrival and interviews

luke
11-08-2018, 12:03 PM
I had never scene the rehearsal footage. Most people believe Cindy is pretty fair and truthful and she said they were told Diana would do the talking after a related incident when Diana answered a question directed to Cindy who was not having it! Maybe this happened before that but my hunch is that in this interview it was getting so blatant even Diana was getting uncomfortable...just look at Mary’s face! Cindy never said a word.

RanRan79
11-08-2018, 01:23 PM
What?!? You mean people would stretch the truth about the Supremes to grind their own axes???? Shocked. I’m shocked I tell you.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. No Supreme, or her fans, would ever do that!:rolleyes:

RanRan79
11-08-2018, 01:28 PM
I had never scene the rehearsal footage. Most people believe Cindy is pretty fair and truthful and she said they were told Diana would do the talking after a related incident when Diana answered a question directed to Cindy who was not having it! Maybe this happened before that but my hunch is that in this interview it was getting so blatant even Diana was getting uncomfortable...just look at Mary’s face! Cindy never said a word.

I see no reason to question Cindy's account of that infamous interview. I'm just wondering if a particular incident has been used to suggest that what Cindy described was always the case. Unfortunately when it comes to the Supremes, the women themselves [[all from Diana to Mary), as well as their fans, are prone to exaggerations that either make their favorite Supreme look good or their least favorite look bad. And thanks to the discovery of so much footage that people are making public, we do see from time to time the exaggerations get debunked. Flo's last Tonight Show appearance being one of the better examples.

RanRan79
11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
One of the interesting things about this footage is you get to see the hectic environment that surrounded the ladies. In addition to the stress of their jobs pleasing the public, I have to imagine that their nerves were shot by the end of an average day. Factor in their personal conflicts and one has to wonder how they made it out of the Supremes alive. These are some strong women.

luke
11-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Well said. Cindy kind of looks likes she’s in a daze. Was this soon after she joined?

floyjoy678
11-08-2018, 03:27 PM
I do wonder if the whole Flo monopolizing the johnny Carson interview could have been another TV appearance at that time or another Johnny Carson appearance from '66 and Mary got them mixed up. I know they were on Mike Douglas right before Flo was out.

This interview here was from January of '68, Diana was still with the group for another two years so it could have been after this that she started being the only one to talk.

luke
11-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Good point floyjoy. I thought Randy T reported the Flo monopolizing the interview thing.

detmotownguy
11-10-2018, 01:06 AM
Worthy of discussion. Didn’t Mary say her hair fell out due to stress. Ross passes out on stage. Didn’t Flo stick up for Ross by telling BG he was working them too hard.

detmotownguy
11-10-2018, 01:09 AM
Mary’s facial expression is priceless! Got to love that woman!

sup_fan
11-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Good point floyjoy. I thought Randy T reported the Flo monopolizing the interview thing.
No it was Mary in dreamgirls