PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin's Documentary "AMAZING GRACE" Finally Being Released

test

reese
11-05-2018, 08:50 PM
https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-estate-amazing-grace-film-premiere-1203019833/?fbclid=IwAR0Rm_t5290S7P-aJLJt-efpRgq7jbVgdWT9IBARLu8AIC94YK01sXSH8Vw

marv2
11-05-2018, 09:01 PM
I can't wait to see it. Thank you Reese.

sansradio
11-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Hallelujah! My oldest friend breathlessly texted me the news a couple of hours ago. Wouldn’t it be bittersweet and wonderful if it snagged an Oscar?

phil
11-06-2018, 04:55 AM
Good news !

glencro
11-06-2018, 06:30 AM
This is great news. I remember a few years ago the documentary received great reviews at one of the international film festivals and out of the blue Aretha had it taken off the market. This may have never received her blessing but I believe that it's a part of history that the world needs to see.

PeaceNHarmony
11-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Here's a link for tickets to Monday's screening in NYC:

http://www.docnyc.net/featured/doc-nyc-world-premiere-of-amazing-grace/

RanRan79
11-06-2018, 12:13 PM
This is going to be great. I can't remember why Aretha shut this down, but if the family is participating and it'll help them financially I'm all for it. The Amazing Grace album is one of her masterpieces.

nysister
11-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Yassss!! I can't wait to see it! I tried to purchase tickets for NY screening, but all sold out. Of course members have first dibs. Only rush tickets available 10 minutes before showing and I guarantee you people will be lining up at around noon for rush. I will patiently wait for limited theatre release.

Now if only the powers that be finally reissue a remastered Jerry Butler's Spice of Life, I will be a happy camper....lol.

PeaceNHarmony
11-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Yassss!! I can't wait to see it! I tried to purchase tickets for NY screening, but all sold out. Of course members have first dibs. Only rush tickets available 10 minutes before showing and I guarantee you people will be lining up at around noon for rush. I will patiently wait for limited theatre release.

Now if only the powers that be finally reissue a remastered Jerry Butler's Spice of Life, I will be a happy camper....lol.
Right there with you on both the film AND Spice of Life!!!

Motown Eddie
11-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Here's an article from Rolling Stone Magazine about Aretha's Amazing Grace movie:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/inside-the-46-year-journey-to-bring-aretha-franklins-amazing-grace-doc-to-life-756003/

sansradio
11-14-2018, 04:53 PM
A friend of a friend went to Monday's NYC screening and gushed to my buddy about it for 10 minutes. He said that people in the audience were crying and "getting happy."

reese
11-14-2018, 08:17 PM
It returns to the Film Forum in NYC from Dec. 7-13.

sansradio
11-14-2018, 09:00 PM
It returns to the Film Forum in NYC from Dec. 7-13.

Fantastic! My birthday week!

sansradio
11-14-2018, 09:46 PM
And my s.o. just got us tickets!!!! I’m beside myself!!!!

PeaceNHarmony
11-15-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm going on Sunday 12/09 - what a Christmas present!

sansradio
11-15-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm going on Sunday 12/09 - what a Christmas present!

Me also!!! What showing?

midnightman
11-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Here's an article from Rolling Stone Magazine about Aretha's Amazing Grace movie:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/inside-the-46-year-journey-to-bring-aretha-franklins-amazing-grace-doc-to-life-756003/

Damn so it wasn't about the film itself but editing errors that that's why Ree got nervous? Aretha was a perfectionist for sure!

All geniuses got their quirks about them, I guess.

smallworld
11-17-2018, 01:55 PM
It was about $.

I can understand why they don't want to lead with that or focus on it but some of the conjecture in that article, and others, is ridiculous.

PeaceNHarmony
12-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Finally got to see this film today. Priceless. The Queen, indeed. Giants walked among us.

reese
12-09-2018, 11:41 PM
I attended an evening showing today. I thought there was no way that it could be as great as the reviews I have read. But it really was. Having long loved the album, watching the film was another experience altogether. It was almost like having my own private concert, the spell only broken when someone around me made a remark or sang a few lines.

It was quite an event. I've read it has gained a distributor and will start being released next year. I can't wait to see it again.

sansradio
12-10-2018, 12:55 PM
WARNING/SLIGHT SPOILERS: I, too, caught it yesterday. Believe every rave you've read or heard. It's utterly spellbinding. What a remarkable piece of film and chunk of gospel history. What's really striking in the film [[aside from the titanic power and grace of Aretha herself, of course) are the captured reactions from the people who influenced and molded her, from her dad beaming to an ailing Clara Ward's head striking that "curious-dog-angle" to James Cleveland's open weeping to Mother Gertrude Ward becoming so swept up that she has to be restrained from possibly tearing Aretha apart limb from limb. Majestic, magnificent, not to be missed.

brother_love
12-10-2018, 03:48 PM
WARNING/SLIGHT SPOILERS: I, too, caught it yesterday. Believe every rave you've read or heard. It's utterly spellbinding. What a remarkable piece of film and chunk of gospel history. What's really striking in the film [[aside from the titanic power and grace of Aretha herself, of course) are the captured reactions from the people who influenced and molded her, from her dad beaming to an ailing Clara Ward's head striking that "curious-dog-angle" to James Cleveland's open weeping to Mother Gertrude Ward becoming so swept up that she has to be restrained from possibly tearing Aretha apart limb from limb. Majestic, magnificent, not to be missed.
Mother Ward falling out was the best part. lol

sansradio
12-10-2018, 04:07 PM

Scared the crap outta me!!! LOL!!!:D

PeaceNHarmony
12-10-2018, 07:50 PM

Was that the stuff?? And Ms. Ward's stank eye ...

PeaceNHarmony
12-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Me also!!! What showing?
I was at the 2:10 - you?

sansradio
12-10-2018, 08:56 PM
I was at the 2:10 - you?

The very same.

PeaceNHarmony
12-11-2018, 04:28 PM
The very same.
I regret I did not follow through last week ... I was unsure of my show-time. The film was everything I wanted and more; for whatever reason I thought the film technical quality would be not so good but it was perfect. I was however disappointed in the audience, which mostly seemed to be film snobs and the sort as opposed to actual Aretha fans. I hope to see it again with real Aretha-holics such as ourselves. The theater was dead silent for the first half or so. For me the best moments were Rev. Franklin's intro to Aretha and his blotting her brow, the behind-the-back hand-hold with James Cleveland, and the moment where she left the podium and continued to sing sitting down, eyes closed. The lady's [[and that of everyone present) immersion in the music was simply a joy to behold. Niece Sabrina did Aretha good, and I hope Aretha is smiling down! What did you and yours think?

reese
12-11-2018, 04:54 PM
The audience at my showing was enthusiastic but not disturbingly so. I could hear the guy behind me trying to hit some Aretha notes, and his friend was cracking jokes, kind of like one would do in church at times. I actually feared that the audience might be too enthusiastic, as I read about crying and singing along and so forth. But I really enjoyed myself.

I had a ticket for both the 8 and 10 o'clock showings on Sunday. But after the 8 o'clock show, I decided to just soak in the experience of what I had just seen. On my way out, I saw journalist Michael Musto in the lobby on his way to his bike. Now that the film has a distributor, I'm sure I'll see it again.

sansradio
12-11-2018, 07:02 PM
I regret I did not follow through last week ... I was unsure of my show-time. The film was everything I wanted and more; for whatever reason I thought the film technical quality would be not so good but it was perfect. I was however disappointed in the audience, which mostly seemed to be film snobs and the sort as opposed to actual Aretha fans. I hope to see it again with real Aretha-holics such as ourselves. The theater was dead silent for the first half or so. For me the best moments were Rev. Franklin's intro to Aretha and his blotting her brow, the behind-the-back hand-hold with James Cleveland, and the moment where she left the podium and continued to sing sitting down, eyes closed. The lady's [[and that of everyone present) immersion in the music was simply a joy to behold. Niece Sabrina did Aretha good, and I hope Aretha is smiling down! What did you and yours think?

We were blown away. My partner, who is hot and cold with Aretha usually, was feeling the spirit and waving his hands in the air; after practically dragging him kicking and screaming to see it, I was shocked to hear him dejectedly say, "That's all?!?" at the end. He wouldn't stop playing the album once we got home. Being an die-hard Arethacologist, I was in heaven. The sound work was incredible; you could hear every little exhortation from her '72 audience [["fix it!"). The only disappointment for me was the exclusion of "Give Yourself to Jesus" and most of "God Will Take Care of You"; I'm thinking those segments probably weren't technically salvageable. Our row and the one in front of us were pretty lively; we were soul-clapping and chuckling together, having service. It was a perfect way to spend my birthday. Too bad we didn't connect.

reese
12-11-2018, 08:23 PM
We were blown away. My partner, who is hot and cold with Aretha usually, was feeling the spirit and waving his hands in the air; after practically dragging him kicking and screaming to see it, I was shocked to hear him dejectedly say, "That's all?!?" at the end. He wouldn't stop playing the album once we got home. Being an die-hard Arethacologist, I was in heaven. The sound work was incredible; you could hear every little exhortation from her '72 audience [["fix it!"). The only disappointment for me was the exclusion of "Give Yourself to Jesus" and most of "God Will Take Care of You"; I'm thinking those segments probably weren't technically salvageable. Our row and the one in front of us were pretty lively; we were soul-clapping and chuckling together, having service. It was a perfect way to spend my birthday. Too bad we didn't connect.

In the notes for the unedited recordings, it says that GIVE YOURSELF TO JESUS wasn't actually performed during the service. The track was recorded after the service was over and Aretha's vocal was added later. YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE had technical difficulties and the original album producers ended up re-recording it later. There was no mention of technical problems with GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU, so I assume the film producers might have edited it for time, as they did with some of the other performances.

sansradio
12-11-2018, 09:00 PM
In the notes for the unedited recordings, it says that GIVE YOURSELF TO JESUS wasn't actually performed during the service. The track was recorded after the service was over and Aretha's vocal was added later. YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE had technical difficulties and the original album producers ended up re-recording it later. There was no mention of technical problems with GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU, so I assume the film producers might have edited it for time, as they did with some of the other performances.

Reese, you’re a godsend! My liner notes are collecting dust in a box. Thanks!

Boogiedown
12-15-2018, 12:10 AM
Glad to hear the performance is finally seeing the light of day.
This whole thing is most odd. Why would Aretha be anything but grateful to someone who personally put in years of work to resuscitate this project that otherwise would've wound up in the dumpster heap????:confused:

A prime example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

reese
12-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Glad to hear the performance is finally seeing the light of day.
This whole thing is most odd. Why would Aretha be anything but grateful to someone who personally put in years of work to resuscitate this project that otherwise would've wound up in the dumpster heap????:confused:

A prime example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Aside from the technical and financial concerns, I always thought that Aretha might have been afraid to compete with such a stunning documentation of her younger self.

PeaceNHarmony
12-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Aside from the technical and financial concerns, I always thought that Aretha might have been afraid to compete with such a stunning documentation of her younger self.

My thought as well.

Boogiedown
12-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Aretha Franklin felt threatened by the talent of Aretha Franklin? That's hilarious!!

midnightman
12-17-2018, 06:36 PM
That's when you know you're dealing with a genius. Most are like that... Michael Jackson and James Brown were similar. Most of their footage of them performing in their youth weren't seen until they died [[well Michael's already was but James' really wasn't until after his death, thanks to the explosion of YouTube).

Boogiedown
12-18-2018, 12:40 AM
:rolleyes: lol!