PDA

View Full Version : Mother Dear clip question

test

luke
11-04-2018, 04:01 PM
I only see and hear Mary singing Doo doo doo on the second clip...Mother Dear...what do you think? Florence doesn’t seem to be singing that part. Intentional? Have there been times when just Flo or Mary sang a part alone behind Diana?

mowest
11-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Which “clip” are you referring to? Please post it if you can.

sup_fan
11-04-2018, 08:01 PM
they did the song twice on tv. on Dean Martin they appear to be singing live and they're all singing

on the Red Skelton show they lip synced to the album track.

there are times when lip syncing that Flo seems to just smile and skip the hassle of mouthing the words. or she might be a little late to enter

luke
11-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Ooops. Sorry. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8tFJL0SFrYE

luke
11-04-2018, 09:19 PM
I watched again. Sometimes Flo sings doo doo and sometimes she doesn’t! The audience could barely clap when they were introduced!

mowest
11-05-2018, 12:41 AM
there are times when lip syncing that Flo seems to just smile and skip the hassle of mouthing the words. or she might be a little late to enter

I’ve noticed both Mary and Cindy doing the same but not very often.

sup_fan
11-05-2018, 11:29 AM

usually Mary is spot on with her lip syncing. and once Cindy was established and [[i'm guessing) less nervous, she was usually right on too. Flo was a weak lip syncer and Jean was terrible at it lol

marybrewster
11-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Another thing I've noticed about Mary, and I can't think of a specific clip or performance, is you can sometimes catch her singing [[or lip synching) along with Diana's lead. More so, I've seen Mary also making these cute mouth movements, kind of like she's jamming along with the background, almost kind of a big hum with words. Anyone else ever see this? I'll try and find an example.

copley
11-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Well I have never liked 'Mother Dear' but that's of no relevance here. I think that both Flo & Mary sang their parts very well indeed. I could hear both quite clearly and thought that it was a great performance.

sup_fan
11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
it seems that during the DMF years, Mary was just about perfect in every performance. she always seemed to have the choreography just right, doing the lip syncing. and the various books through the years also mention how she really was just like a pretty wind up doll. perfectly executing her part.

Berry also mentioned how Mary was a great and sexy component of the act. In seeing the additional pics of the girls on stage in the Copa Expanded set, you can see just how animated she is and all of her stage presence. it would be amazing to see a full video of a DMF show

Flo has been described as "endearingly awkward" and that really fits. not a slam on her. just a part of her earthy persona. she was more like a real girl up there vs a glossed up entertainer. Flo would be a little off in her choreography at times or lip syncing. and usually i agree - it's endearing. but there are times [[like the later performance of DMC doing Fats Waller) where you want and need the choreography to be perfect