PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie and Susaye UK Tour Dates

test

jobeterob
10-21-2018, 10:20 AM
https://www.scherrieandsusayeformersupremes.com/blog-news--events/november-2018-uk-tour-dates

lakeside
10-21-2018, 11:36 AM
https://marlowetheatre.com/shows/the-first-ladies-of-the-supremes/

luke
10-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Go Ladies! I’ve always been wondered why they don’t count Barbara Martin as a Supreme. She sure was one !

milven
10-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Go Ladies! I’ve always been wondered why they don’t count Barbara Martin as a Supreme. She sure was one !

Technically, she was a Supreme, as she signed the contract in January of 1961. But by October, she was already pregnant and was probably only on a handful of recordings, none of which were hits. She also had very little history as a Primette.

But yes, she was a Motown Supreme. Far more legitimate than future "Supremes" such as Kaaaaaren. :D

mwmr
10-21-2018, 03:43 PM
All 3 dates down south of uk , none in the north !
factor in travel and overnight accommodation and sadly it’s too expensive

marv2
10-21-2018, 04:45 PM
All 3 dates down south of uk , none in the north !
factor in travel and overnight accommodation and sadly it’s too expensive

Is Manchester considered the North? Just curious. I knew a guy from my hometown that went to work with troubled youth for something like 30 years.

snakepit
10-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Did he work with me?
Manchester born and bred. Yes it's considered North.

snakepit
10-21-2018, 04:53 PM
And before you ask, I've never been to the Coronation Street studio or done the tour.
[[ they rebuilt a new studio some years ago).
The original story is set in the neighbouring City, Salford. But generally Salford and Manchester are linked.

marv2
10-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Did he work with me?
Manchester born and bred. Yes it's considered North.

I don't know. His name is Terry Crosby. He was a star High School and College basketball player. He has since moved back to Toledo, OH.

marv2
10-21-2018, 07:11 PM
And before you ask, I've never been to the Coronation Street studio or done the tour.
[[ they rebuilt a new studio some years ago).
The original story is set in the neighbouring City, Salford. But generally Salford and Manchester are linked.

How'd you know I was about to ask about Wetherfield? LOL!!!! I love that show and I still watch it every week! I never knew it was originally set in another city.

snakepit
10-22-2018, 04:18 AM
I don't know. His name is Terry Crosby. He was a star High School and College basketball player. He has since moved back to Toledo, OH.

Your line about troubled youth....I thought It must include me.:)

snakepit
10-22-2018, 04:21 AM
How'd you know I was about to ask about Wetherfield? LOL!!!! I love that show and I still watch it every week! I never knew it was originally set in another city.

Originally it was to be called Florizel Street, based on a terraced street in Salford. Changed to Coronation Street at last moment. Only intended to run about 8 shows....That kind of 'gritty drama' wasn't usual TV fare.
It was about 1960/1 I think, I'm sure YouTube has clips of early shows?
For many, particularly in the "North", it was novel to see and hear familiar accents, roles and a way of life portrayed on UK TV...anything outside London was novelty.
In it's heyday, you daren't telephone anyone between 7.30 -8.00...Corrie was on!
I have not watched it for many years [[30??) ...it just became a show about sexual relationships in the main, but there are moments.
You surely saw the episodes about the DJ who had his records sold by his partner...his favourite record from his Northern Soul collection....Gene Chandler "Nothing can stop me"...
It was all over NS forums at the time.
D

marv2
10-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Your line about troubled youth....I thought It must include me.:)

Oh, well we all were troubled youth to some extent or another.

marv2
10-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Originally it was to be called Florizel Street, based on a terraced street in Salford. Changed to Coronation Street at last moment. Only intended to run about 8 shows....That kind of 'gritty drama' wasn't usual TV fare.
It was about 1960/1 I think, I'm sure YouTube has clips of early shows?
For many, particularly in the "North", it was novel to see and hear familiar accents, roles and a way of life portrayed on UK TV...anything outside London was novelty.
In it's heyday, you daren't telephone anyone between 7.30 -8.00...Corrie was on!
I have not watched it for many years [[30??) ...it just became a show about sexual relationships in the main, but there are moments.
You surely saw the episodes about the DJ who had his records sold by his partner...his favourite record from his Northern Soul collection....Gene Chandler "Nothing can stop me"...
It was all over NS forums at the time.
D

Snakepit, thank you for that great background information. The show first aired 2 months after I was born. It began in November 1960. It's been shown here for decades in Canada, but I use ignore it until a few times in the 90s and then full time since the early 2000s. I did not see the storyline of the DJ who's records were sold, but I do hear and recognize many Motown and R&B classics playing the background mostly at the "Rovers Return". Ken Barlow is still hanging in there as one of the few remaining original cast members from 1960!

snakepit
10-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Craig Charles played the DJ..he is a rreal life soul/r&b DJ around Manchester.
His partner sold his NS 45s behind his back..
Wikipedia has a good Corrie background.
Perhaps we should set up a Manchester thread in clubhouse for any questions??
Manchester has a prominent role in the beginnings of Northern Soul.

marv2
10-22-2018, 01:38 PM

Was his character "Lloyd" from the taxi company?

marv2
10-22-2018, 01:39 PM

I know about "Sweet Sensation" being one of the successful singing groups from the Manchester area.

marv2
10-22-2018, 01:42 PM

You what Snakepit. I think I do remember that. Lloyd's girlfriend did that. She wasn't on the show for very long though.

mowsville
10-22-2018, 02:08 PM
I have tickets to see them at Yarmouth holiday park...they are part of a soul weekender there...i couldnt find anyone interested in going with me so im taking my Mum lol..talking of Coronation Street..there was a character called Les Battersby and he got put on tag..I made the fake tag that he had to wear as the company i used to work for were the only company in England that made and monitored them :)

snakepit
10-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Yes that was his character.
Gene Chandler's tune was very important to my soul music conversion.
Somebody behind the scenes obviously knows their Motown/NS music..the Rovers often plays some tunes I believe.
I had friends from London who used to visit Manchester and they wanted to tour the studios. They couldn't believe I'd not been. No doubt a lot of Detroiters have never visited Hitsville.

A new studio, complete with a ' real' street was built a few years ago. Outside footage and a real Rovers can be filmed there. Politicians liked to pop in on tours to Manchester...good for street cred.

snakepit
10-22-2018, 02:11 PM
I know about "Sweet Sensation" being one of the successful singing groups from the Manchester area.

Sweet Sensation were from a local area in Manchester, Moss Side.
They had a chart hit with "Sad sweet dreamer" . I saw them on the bill at Manchester Apollo but can't remember the headline act,

marv2
10-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Yes that was his character.
Gene Chandler's tune was very important to my soul music conversion.
Somebody behind the scenes obviously knows their Motown/NS music..the Rovers often plays some tunes I believe.
I had friends from London who used to visit Manchester and they wanted to tour the studios. They couldn't believe I'd not been. No doubt a lot of Detroiters have never visited Hitsville.

A new studio, complete with a ' real' street was built a few years ago. Outside footage and a real Rovers can be filmed there. Politicians liked to pop in on tours to Manchester...good for street cred.

I want to visit the Coronation Street set one day. I'd like to meet "Carla Connor" too! I will complete if that happens. LOL!

Craig Charles aka "Lloyd" interviewed Mary Wilson on some television program over there in the last couple of years. I use to volunteer at Hitsville. True, a lot of people in Detroit have never taken the tour [[just as most New Yorkers ever go to the typical tourist attractions like the Statue of Liberty), just about everyone in Detroit has been past the museum at one time or another.

marv2
10-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Sweet Sensation were from a local area in Manchester, Moss Side.
They had a chart hit with "Sad sweet dreamer" . I saw them on the bill at Manchester Apollo but can't remember the headline act,

I use to chat with the lead singer, Marcel King's brother some years back on Youtube. I liked their sound. "Sad Sweet Dreamer" was a great record that got a lot of radio play here back when I was starting high school.

marv2
10-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Here's a connection. Sweet Sensation toured the U.K. with the Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie and Cindy) in 1975.

snakepit
10-22-2018, 02:44 PM
I need to Google Carla Connor lol. As I say I don' t watch it. Even my wife has given up...she was a regular viewer.
Competition with other " soaps".....EastEnders [[East London), Brookside [[ Liverpool), Emmerdale [[West Yorkshire) saw ever increasing outrageous storylines...they had to out do one another, so storylines became ever darker.

snakepit
10-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Here's a connection. Sweet Sensation toured the U.K. with the Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie and Cindy) in 1975.

Could be that...my memory is going.

marv2
10-22-2018, 02:57 PM
I need to Google Carla Connor lol. As I say I don' t watch it. Even my wife has given up...she was a regular viewer.
Competition with other " soaps".....EastEnders [[East London), Brookside [[ Liverpool), Emmerdale [[West Yorkshire) saw ever increasing outrageous storylines...they had to out do one another, so storylines became ever darker.

Carla Connor is the most beautiful woman on television on either side of the ocean! I was happy they brought her back after being off the show for about a year.

marv2
10-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Could be that...my memory is going.

I bet you remember more things than you give yourself credit for. it's just more stress these days that we deal with.

snakepit
10-22-2018, 03:07 PM
You can say that again....had an extremrely stressful day getting a gas fire put in...engineer told me I had a gas leak! Panic all round. Insurance cover staff clueless...took hours to solve.
UK 'service' is a nightmare...no responsibilty, no ownership, no service...no interest. :[[

marv2
10-22-2018, 03:15 PM
You can say that again....had an extremrely stressful day getting a gas fire put in...engineer told me I had a gas leak! Panic all round. Insurance cover staff clueless...took hours to solve.
UK 'service' is a nightmare...no responsibilty, no ownership, no service...no interest. :[[

Sounds like the good ole U.S.A.! LOL!!!

snakepit
10-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Just thought..I'm sure I've read that the final Supremes concert was in Manchester.
1975 sounds about right...I did see them, but unsure as to venue.
But Sweet Sensation could have been on that bill.
I'm guessing that was the show.

marv2
10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Just thought..I'm sure I've read that the final Supremes concert was in Manchester.
1975 sounds about right...I did see them, but unsure as to venue.
But Sweet Sensation could have been on that bill.
I'm guessing that was the show.

There is a partial audio clip of that Manchester show that I will try to find and post.

marv2
10-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Here we are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fqpIwGniU

snakepit
10-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Thanks..video not playing on my tablet but will try PC later or tomorrow.
Thanks again

marv2
10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Thanks..video not playing on my tablet but will try PC later or tomorrow.
Thanks again

You are most welcome Snakepit!

midnightman
10-22-2018, 06:49 PM

Her tenure wasn't long [[just a year and some change) and her voice wasn't too significant. The group just wasn't made to be a quartet.

midnightman
10-22-2018, 06:50 PM
I wonder if they still do songs from their Partners album. Also Susaye once lived in the UK for a great number of years. I wonder if she's gonna return back or remain in California?

marv2
10-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Her tenure wasn't long [[just a year and some change) and her voice wasn't too significant. The group just wasn't made to be a quartet.

Barbara Martin was very significant. She was an Original Supreme and she was from Detroit! Universal included her comments in their re-release of the Supremes early material.

kenneth
10-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Barbara Martin was very significant. She was an Original Supreme and she was from Detroit! Universal included her comments in their re-release of the Supremes early material.

On both occasions when I saw Scherrie and Susaye live, Scherrie neglected to mention Barbara Martin when recounting the history of the Supremes [[and naming all the other official members). I wondered why at the time, and even mentioned it in my review that I posted here on SDF.

She may not have been a member long, but neither was Linda. Both were official Supremes and deserve recognition for that. I found it interesting on the expanded edition of "Meet the Supremes" to find the songs that Barbara was featured on [[and doesn't she have a solo line or phrase on one of those songs?).

kenneth
10-22-2018, 08:15 PM
I wonder if they still do songs from their Partners album. Also Susaye once lived in the UK for a great number of years. I wonder if she's gonna return back or remain in California?

The two times I saw Scherrie and Susaye in LA, they did about half of the "Partners" album. The only thing I didn't care for about that was my main complaint about the album itself, that there were too many originals and that most of them were sung by either Scherrie or Susaye, but not both of them.

I posted a review of the concert the second time I saw them, and I know a couple of the other members and I put together a song list based on our notes from the event. If you can find the review, it's in there. I think the title of the thread was something like "They're Back...!"

I found the old thread. Here's the set list as we pieced it together from the second show at Vitello's in Studio City:

Storybook Romance - Scherrie and Susaye
Your Sweet Love - Scherrie and Susaye
Leaving Me Was the Best Thing You've Ever Done - Scherrie and Susaye
In the Night - Susaye
I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walkin' - Scherrie and Susaye
Children of the Ghetto - Susaye and her son Daniel Colton
Up for the Doubles ... ? [[not sure of the title of this song) - Daniel Colton solo
Macarthur Park/Another Life From Now - Scherrie
Alfie - Susaye
Here's to Life - Scherrie
My Funny Valentine - Susaye
Crumbs Off the Table - Scherrie
I Can't Help It - Susaye
Penetrating Eyes - Scherrie accompanied by her nephew Emil Martinez on Flugelhorn
Until It's Time for You to Go - Susaye
High Energy - Scherrie and Susaye

sansradio
10-22-2018, 08:17 PM
On both occasions when I saw Scherrie and Susaye live, Scherrie neglected to mention Barbara Martin when recounting the history of the Supremes [[and naming all the other official members). I wondered why at the time, and even mentioned it in my review that I posted here on SDF.

She may not have been a member long, but neither was Linda. Both were official Supremes and deserve recognition for that. I found it interesting on the expanded edition of "Meet the Supremes" to find the songs that Barbara was featured on [[and doesn't she have a solo line or phrase on one of those songs?).

Well stated about a curious situation indeed, kenneth. And yes, Barbara has a solo part on “After All.”

kenneth
10-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Well stated about a curious situation indeed, kenneth. And yes, Barbara has a solo part on “After All.”

That's it! Thanks sansradio. Like with "Too Many Fish in the Sea" and "A Breath Taking Guy," we have to always know who sang which phrase!

marv2
10-22-2018, 08:40 PM

Barbara did the spoken parts on "He's Seventeen" and sang the entire song when they performed it live. If it weren't for Barbara and the other original Supremes that went through all of the tough times in the beginning, there would not have been a group for Scherrie or Lynda to walk into. People forget that!

kenneth
10-22-2018, 10:02 PM
Barbara did the spoken parts on "He's Seventeen" and sang the entire song when they performed it live. If it weren't for Barbara and the other original Supremes that went through all of the tough times in the beginning, there would not have been a group for Scherrie or Lynda to walk into. People forget that!

Well said.

marv2
10-23-2018, 01:08 PM

A Manchester thread would be cool in the Clubhouse.

snakepit
10-23-2018, 01:10 PM
OK will set one up