PDA

View Full Version : Floyd henley

test

sunshineonacloudyday
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Floyd Henley -Believe In Me [[KAS-MO, 1968)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwpFuWX749I

I love this combination of sweet Philly-style soul with the heartfelt deep soul vocal by Henley [[a Gamble-Huff composition.)

The youtube poster writes he was murdered in a gay hate crime in the early 70s. At another website a woman who claims to be his daughter gives an email address for "a copy of his album."

Does anyone have any info on Henley?...Was there really an album by him?...Any other singles?

BTW, the flip of this KAS-MO single is a cover of "Unchained Melody", and again--Henley's vocal is superb, though I'm not too fond of this arrangement.

sunshineonacloudyday
02-16-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.midwest45s.org/MichiganGaragePage.html

...7th row of records, click on "I See Jesus", to hear Floyd Henley singing gospel

WOW, what a voice! There must be more??

Kamasu_Jr
02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
If it's indeed the same Floyd Henley that my dad and grandfather talked about. He was the leader of the Echoettes, a Detroit- based gospel group. He was their pianist, very flamboyant. "The Liberace of Gospel, " other singers called him because he liked make-up and shiney clothing. I never knew he attempted any secular material. Floyd was a character, I'm told. He was killed in either a gay hate crime or a gang hit.

sunshineonacloudyday
02-17-2011, 03:50 AM
Thank you for that information Kamasu_Jr! Listening to them back-to-back, it sounds to me it's quite possible it's the same Floyd Henley, albeit with his voice in a higher register on the gospel song. Do you know when "I See Jesus" would have been recorded?

Kamasu_Jr
02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Thank you for that information Kamasu_Jr! Listening to them back-to-back, it sounds to me it's quite possible it's the same Floyd Henley, albeit with his voice in a higher register on the gospel song. Do you know when "I See Jesus" would have been recorded?

My dad estimates the late Sixties for I See Jesus. It was on Bilesse which was owned by the late Bill Moss. He began the label in 1968 or 1969 and recorded the Echoettes and my grandfather's group, the Sons of Zion. The Sons and the Echoettes and Floyd Henley were colleagues.

sunshineonacloudyday
02-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks Kamasu, The Sons of Zion--what a great family heritage! I was able to listen to some of the other Bilesse artists I'd never heard at that gospel website.

Anyone else know of other recodings by Floyd Henley?