PDA

View Full Version : When Pop Stars Attempt Movie Stardom

test

jobeterob
10-03-2018, 02:04 AM
http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/lady-gaga-star-is-born-pop-stars-film-debuts-ranked.html

vgalindo
10-03-2018, 03:06 AM
So amazing that Diana Ross is #1 with "Lady Sings the Blues". Even after all these years.

jobeterob
10-03-2018, 02:13 PM
I was surprised too

This is an interesting article

TomatoTom123
10-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Great read jrob, thanks for sharing. Never knew about some singers' attempts in the world of acting. I also only recently found out that Mark Wahlberg was a singer before he was an actor. :)

luke
10-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Diana was great in the LSTB. I’ve often wondered what happened to Gladys and films. She got some very good reviews for Pipe Dreams.

jobeterob
10-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Isn’t it the case, that generally singers moving into movies don’t really do stunning work?

Ollie9
10-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Isn’t it the case, that generally singers moving into movies don’t really do stunning work?

Thats a very sweeping statement to make job if you don't mind me saying so.
One only has to look to Olivia Newton John in Xanadu to prove that singers who make the leap are more then capable of producing a performance to astonish. :rolleyes:

luke
10-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Lady Gaga is getting raves for new movie.

jobeterob
10-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Thats a very sweeping statement to make job if you don't mind me saying so.
One only has to look to Olivia Newton John in Xanadu to prove that singers who make the leap are more then capable of producing a performance to astonish. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that occasionally they surprise like Diana did but most often they come across as kind of average - like I thought Beyoncé was in Dreamgirls and like the Elvis Presley movies

Olivia Newton John certainly had some monster successes - Grease and Physical and is probably greatly under appreciated

Ollie9
10-07-2018, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE
Olivia Newton John certainly had some monster successes - Grease and Physical and is probably greatly under appreciated[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not as an actress though lol.
I have often wondered how Beyonce really felt about the final cut of Dream Girls.
For me and many others it was Jennifer Hudson who walked away with the film. Not quite sure if it was Beyonce's acting at fault or the way the character of Deena jones was written as to why she came across a little lifeless.

midnightman
10-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Don't know why it's a surprise, she's the only one on that list who got an Oscar nod for their debut film [[they left out Barbra Streisand in "Funny Girl" and she actually won it lol).

jim aka jtigre99
10-13-2018, 05:26 PM
I really don't think of Diana Ross being the #1 success of a singer who did the best in film. Sure, she was nominated for an Oscar for Lady Sings The Blues, but she only had 2 other films. Mahogany did not enthuse critics and The Wiz may be shown on television now but the consensus was that Ross was woefully miscast and it all but ended her acting in films. I would say Barbra Streisand was easily #1, an actual Grammy winning singer who won an Oscar for her first film and was a huge success in films for a long time. Miss Ross did well in debut, but I wouldn't say #1 on the list-maybe #2. Glad she was recognized , though, as she really was a good actress unlike many other singers.

bradsupremes
10-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Perhaps not as an actress though lol.
I have often wondered how Beyonce really felt about the final cut of Dream Girls.
For me and many others it was Jennifer Hudson who walked away with the film. Not quite sure if it was Beyonce's acting at fault or the way the character of Deena jones was written as to why she came across a little lifeless.

It's both. I loved Dreamgirls when it was initially released, but after reviewing the film last year, it's not as great I thought it was. I have major problems with the second act rewrite. I feel like it strayed too far from the original show and the original show is already cinematic. They didn't need to change the plot or storyline one bit. Second, the music. I hate the modern feel they gave the score. It's a show set in the 60's and 70's. It needed to sound authentic. Third, the casting. Beyonce is the weak link in the trio. I never found her to be a believable actress and she certainly doesn't have the natural flow that Diana has. To me, when she's in a scene and doing lines, I get this "I'm acting" feel from her. She doesn't become the character. Plus, she was a total miscast as Deena. I also feel Jennifer Hudson wasn't as strong as Effie should be. And I hate that they made her gain weight for the part. I absolutely cannot stand productions that made Effie the "big" girl in the group. That's not how Michael Bennett envisioned the role. I would for once love to see a Dreamgirls production with a thin Effie like Michael Bennett had done in the original Broadway and touring productions.

marv2
10-13-2018, 09:55 PM
I thought she did great. Here was her best and most dramatic scene...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvL6VlEg4Y

sansradio
10-13-2018, 10:19 PM
It's both. I loved Dreamgirls when it was initially released, but after reviewing the film last year, it's not as great I thought it was. I have major problems with the second act rewrite. I feel like it strayed too far from the original show and the original show is already cinematic. They didn't need to change the plot or storyline one bit. Second, the music. I hate the modern feel they gave the score. It's a show set in the 60's and 70's. It needed to sound authentic. Third, the casting. Beyonce is the weak link in the trio. I never found her to be a believable actress and she certainly doesn't have the natural flow that Diana has. To me, when she's in a scene and doing lines, I get this "I'm acting" feel from her. She doesn't become the character. Plus, she was a total miscast as Deena. I also feel Jennifer Hudson wasn't as strong as Effie should be. And I hate that they made her gain weight for the part. I absolutely cannot stand productions that made Effie the "big" girl in the group. That's not how Michael Bennett envisioned the role. I would for once love to see a Dreamgirls production with a thin Effie like Michael Bennett had done in the original Broadway and touring productions.

I wish I could "like," "star," or "love" this post. Spot on through and through. I wish Heather Headley could have played Deena for the film as she did for the concert recording.

Bluebrock
10-14-2018, 02:59 AM
I really don't think of Diana Ross being the #1 success of a singer who did the best in film. Sure, she was nominated for an Oscar for Lady Sings The Blues, but she only had 2 other films. Mahogany did not enthuse critics and The Wiz may be shown on television now but the consensus was that Ross was woefully miscast and it all but ended her acting in films. I would say Barbra Streisand was easily #1, an actual Grammy winning singer who won an Oscar for her first film and was a huge success in films for a long time. Miss Ross did well in debut, but I wouldn't say #1 on the list-maybe #2. Glad she was recognized , though, as she really was a good actress unlike many other singers.
I would have to agree with you here Jim. Streisand surely deserves this accolade with Diana maybe at no.2.

Bluebrock
10-14-2018, 03:04 AM
Totally agree with you about Beyonce. She is not a natural actress whom i can fully believe in. I think she gave as good a performance as she is capable of, but it wasn't enough. She looks what she is here - a talented singer trying to be an actress but not quite reaching her goal. A brave attempt, but ultimately a failed attempt.

lucky2012
10-14-2018, 11:02 AM
From the title of the list, I believe it is about pop singers who attempted movies or movie careers. Barbra Streisand and Bette Midler are probably considered by the list's author[[s) as primarily actors first and foremost, starting their careers on stage, musicals, Broadway. I think Diana Ross deserves a place at or near the top but Cher is a pop singer who became a huge movie star for a while. I think the biggest pop stars who became movie stars were Doris Day and Frank Sinatra.

midnightman
10-14-2018, 07:05 PM

They're talking about pop stars in their first filming roles lol not overall success obviously. That would go to Barbra Streisand...

RanRan79
10-15-2018, 12:39 PM
From the title of the list, I believe it is about pop singers who attempted movies or movie careers. Barbra Streisand and Bette Midler are probably considered by the list's author[[s) as primarily actors first and foremost, starting their careers on stage, musicals, Broadway. I think Diana Ross deserves a place at or near the top but Cher is a pop singer who became a huge movie star for a while. I think the biggest pop stars who became movie stars were Doris Day and Frank Sinatra.

I'd go with Cher over Diana because she had greater success. I don't know who all made the list or what the qualifications are, but I'd also say Queen Latifah ultimately made a better transition from music to movies than Diana did. Diana's movie credits are sadly limited to an Oscar nominated role, two critical flops, one box office flop and two made for TV movies. As great as she was in Lady and as powerful as her nomination was for it, I can't say this is enough to place her at the top of this kind of list.

khansperac
10-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Maybe the person who compiled this list simply felt that the acting chops Diana displayed in lady sings the blues was better than what Barbra Streisand or Cher displayed, regardless of awards they may have won. Who would have thought that a message board highlighting soulful Detroit, would you find people voicing opinions as to why Detroit’s own doesn’t deserve the top spot 🤔

RanRan79
10-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Maybe the person who compiled this list simply felt that the acting chops Diana displayed in lady sings the blues was better than what Barbra Streisand or Cher displayed, regardless of awards they may have won. Who would have thought that a message board highlighting soulful Detroit, would you find people voicing opinions as to why Detroit’s own doesn’t deserve the top spot 樂

I won't speak for anyone else, but as for me I don't allow silliness like where someone is from or any other dumb reason to dictate my opinions. I love Diana Ross but if I don't think she was the absolute best at something I'm not going to say otherwise simply because I'm on Soulful Detroit. That's not the spirit in which this forum was created nor the spirit in which it is run, so I feel free to have a dissenting opinion from any list that puts Diana Ross as a number one actress. Contrary to an increasing belief, this is the US and not Russia.

Perhaps Diana Ross makes the list of number one attempts at movies as far as classic Motown is concerned but she doesn't top my list in general.

vgalindo
10-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Diana deserves to be #1. They are talking about a pop stars first movie! Not their movie career. Chers 1st movie was no Lady Sings The Blues and she was not nominated for an oscar for her first film. I think they don't consider Barbra as a pop star. She came from Broadway.

marv2
10-16-2018, 01:58 AM
Diana deserves to be #1. They are talking about a pop stars first movie! Not their movie career. Chers 1st movie was no Lady Sings The Blues and she was not nominated for an oscar for her first film. I think they don't consider Barbra as a pop star. She came from Broadway.

Diana Ross does not have a movie career. Cher won the Oscar!

midnightman
10-16-2018, 02:04 AM

Yeah but she's considered a pop star. But I guess I see your point, artists like Diana and Cher emerged in rock and roll, Barbra didn't, so yeah, I see what you mean.

vgalindo
10-16-2018, 05:20 AM
Diana Ross does not have a movie career. Cher won the Oscar!
Did you read the article? Or what I wrote or do you not comprehend? IT IS NOT BASED ON A MOVIE CAREER! IT IS BASED ON THEIR FILM DEBUT! Cher did not win nor was she nominated for her first film! And by the way I love Cher.

midnightman
10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
No one reads articles, they see a headline and get upset. Not mentioning anyone here, just saying in general...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d72acd52ceaa7d8fcd535d138b696fb8/tumblr_mxtolfPtNP1t6nn9lo4_400.gif

khansperac
10-16-2018, 11:44 AM
^^^This...all these dissertations that have nothing to do with the article.

RanRan79
10-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks V. I didn't read the article [[hence this part of my post: "I don't know who all made the list or what the qualifications are...") so this makes more sense if it's about a first movie. Yeah, it probably doesn't get better than Diana's Oscar nod, box office smash, number one soundtrack first go.

RanRan79
10-16-2018, 11:53 AM
No one reads articles, they see a headline and get upset. Not mentioning anyone here, just saying in general...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d72acd52ceaa7d8fcd535d138b696fb8/tumblr_mxtolfPtNP1t6nn9lo4_400.gif

I'm mad at you for that gif! Love it!:D

RanRan79
10-16-2018, 11:57 AM

And also apparently reading other folks' opinions make some upset also, so be careful if you don't kiss the ass of every Detroiter while you're on Soulful Detroit, apparently. Diana Ross is apparently the greatest at everything.:rolleyes::p

midnightman
10-16-2018, 01:24 PM
And also apparently reading other folks' opinions make some upset also, so be careful if you don't kiss the ass of every Detroiter while you're on Soulful Detroit, apparently. Diana Ross is apparently the greatest at everything.:rolleyes::p

I find that nothing makes one madder than if they get ignored. :p

RanRan79
10-16-2018, 04:56 PM
I find that nothing makes one madder than if they get ignored. :p

You got that right. Lol And even if it doesn't, it sure makes life easier around here when you can hit the ignore feature to ignore people's idiotic posts...which is exactly what I've done.

midnightman
10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
You got that right. Lol And even if it doesn't, it sure makes life easier around here when you can hit the ignore feature to ignore people's idiotic posts...which is exactly what I've done.

That's the only thing one can do to get back some sanity. Lol

144man
10-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Can you imagine what havoc the Ignore Feature would cause on the Word Association thread, lol?

TomatoTom123
10-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Can you imagine what havoc the Ignore Feature would cause on the Word Association thread, lol?

Oh my, CHAOS WOULD ENSUE!!