PDA

View Full Version : So what's REALLY in a "name"?

test

GrtGzu
10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
I remember a kinda weird conversation I had with a former manager of mine, while passing the time during a slow winter's day at the garden center many years ago...

We were discussing the names of groups back in the day, and then he asked me:

What's a "Drell"? I thought about it for a moment, and wound up clueless...

So I asked him, "I dunno, what exactly is a "Delphonic"?

We know what a "Temptation" is, also a "Supreme"..and a "Superlative"....but the rest ain't in the dictionary....

So what, pray tell is a "Velvelette"? a "Tabulation"?

How did these names even come about?

Quinn
10-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't know how all of these names came about, but I think it all comes down to knowing the history of the groups.

The Delfonics were originally called the Orphonics. When Stan Watson signed them to his local Philly Groove label they became the former. Stan had sang with a group called the Dell Vikings, so he combined the front of his group's name with the end of their name.

Company employees gave The Temptations and The Supremes their names. Janie Bradford and a guy named Bill Mitchell gets the credit for those. The Velvelettes acquired that name due to their exceptional ability to harmonise. They were smooth,like Velvet so thus they took on that identity.

Hope this helped. I suggest just reading the bios of the group's through Wikipedia or a music oriented website.

marv2
10-01-2018, 11:56 AM
I remember a kinda weird conversation I had with a former manager of mine, while passing the time during a slow winter's day at the garden center many years ago...

We know what a "Temptation" is, also a "Supreme"..and a "Superlative"....but the rest ain't in the dictionary....

They came about because they sounded good, they sounded cool. Most of the people that came up with those names were just kids at the time.

midnightman
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Some names either were for marketing, to get the group a "standout name" or they couldn't think of anything so they picked a name that seemed to fit.

marv2
10-01-2018, 04:29 PM
In the Doo Wop Era of the 1950s and early 60s, many groups took the names of a variety of birds, automobiles and cigarettes! It was all about "cool", what sounded cool and hip.

jboy88
10-01-2018, 04:50 PM
The Tabulations got their name from the idea of tabulating a large fortune! As in “we’ll be tabulating so much once we have a hit record”!

midnightman
10-01-2018, 05:16 PM
I love the fact the O'Jays became the O'Jays [[forget their original name, probably Mascots?) because their local deejay had the name Eddie O'Jay lol [[apparently it was a marketing decision so they could get their songs on the radio)

robb_k
10-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Welvel [[pronounced "Velvel"), is the Yiddish for of the diminutive for German "Wilhelm", or Dutch "Willem", or English "William", analogous to "Willy". So "Velvelettes" could be the female sister group of the male "Willies". :cool:

robb_k
10-01-2018, 10:42 PM
I love the fact the O'Jays became the O'Jays [[forget their original name, probably Mascots?) because their local deejay had the name Eddie O'Jay lol [[apparently it was a marketing decision so they could get their songs on the radio)
Yes, The O'Jays were originally The Mascots.

heikki
10-02-2018, 03:52 AM
Hi Robb!

How are you doing?

When I did the research for the possible O'Jays story [[which still is pending), I came across also such names as The Levert Brothers [[Eddie, Walter...) -> the Imperials [[this is not confirmed) -> the Triumphs [[Eddie, William, Bobby and Bill) -> the Mascots.

Best regards
Heikki

GrtGzu
10-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Yes, The O'Jays were originally The Mascots.

now THAT, I did NOT know!! and they're from my hometown too....

How'd I miss this?

GrtGzu
10-02-2018, 06:25 AM
The Tabulations got their name from the idea of tabulating a large fortune! As in “we’ll be tabulating so much once we have a hit record”!

LOL!! ​wonder if it was "right on the tip of their tongue"?

GrtGzu
10-02-2018, 06:26 AM
In the Doo Wop Era of the 1950s and early 60s, many groups took the names of a variety of birds, automobiles and cigarettes! It was all about "cool", what sounded cool and hip.

​oh yeah, that much I figured out, lol!! and they had some really cool names too...

GrtGzu
10-02-2018, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=midnightman;483025]Some names either were for marketing, to get the group a "standout name" or they couldn't think of anything so they picked a name that seemed to fit.[/QUOTE

know what's funny? I can't even remember the name we had for our little "singing group" we had for the talent show back in junior high....

guess we didn't stand out so much eh?

yet, we still "killed it" when we sang "Want Ads"....had dance steps too!

soulster
10-02-2018, 10:48 AM

Sounds like the names people pick for their kids. They look at a car and call their kid "Toyotah", or try to sound "ethnic" and call the kid "Laquindasha". Before one of you get ticked off, yeah, it happens a lot. It probably happened a lot more in the 80s and 90s.

marv2
10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Sounds like the names people pick for their kids. They look at a car and call their kid "Toyotah", or try to sound "ethnic" and call the kid "Laquindasha". Before one of you get ticked off, yeah, it happens a lot. It probably happened a lot more in the 80s and 90s.

I know it happens. I actually met a young woman who's name was "Noxema". LOL!

robb_k
10-02-2018, 03:52 PM
now THAT, I did NOT know!! and they're from my hometown too....

How'd I miss this?

They had a few excellent releases out on King before their name change, Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOgo-ZucCQ&t=0s&index=3&list=PLFoLigmt70AbVyWz8hMeFkvns 80-TxRoO

robb_k
10-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WztFbeBh7ww

robb_k
10-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bby5g6afnFE

robb_k
10-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Here's their first release as The O'Jays, recorded at United Sound Systems in Detroit by Don Davis, of DaCo/Thelma Records. It was ex-Motown songwriter/session guitarist, and later owner of Groovesville, Groove City, Solid Hitbound Productions, and chief A&R man of Stax Records, who suggested to Mascots' manager, Eddie OJay, that the group change their name to The O'Jays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pWEf42dNs

arr&bee
10-02-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm always fastinated by the history of group names,and some names fit like a glove-the drifters[how many guys have drifted in an out of that group]..the temptations[have been temptin fans since-1961]..the coasters[west coast-originally-the robins].

marv2
10-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Remember the Penguins, the Flamingos, the Falcons and the Larks?

thanxal
10-02-2018, 07:33 PM
The Trashmen

lockhartgary
10-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Robins and Ravens and Wrens oh my!

robb_k
10-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards, Thunderbirds, V-8s, Stick Shifts, Corvairs, Comets,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Remember the Penguins, the Flamingos, the Falcons and the Larks?
The Orioles, Five Bluejays, Bluejays, Bluebirds, Jay-Tones, Warblers, Bobby Byrd & The Birds, The Larktones, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Hawks, Parrots, The Five Owls, Condors, Songbirds, Parakeets, Wings, Five Wings, The Feathers, Flock of Seagulls, Swallows, Wrens, Meadowlarks, Kingfishers, Chickadees, Sparrows, Cardinals,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 10:07 PM
The Five Keys, High Keys, Clefs, G-Clefs, Four Tunes, Five Notes, Notes, Tones, Tonettes, Blendtones, Five Blends, Keynotes, Andantes, Top Notes, Five Scales, Scaletones, The Harmonicats, Mello-Tones, Melody Kings, Melodeers, Magictones, Five Blue Notes, Blue Notes, Happy-Tones, Aquatones, Lovetones, Love-Tones, Keytones, Master Keys, Keymasters, Acapellas, Jivetones, anthems, Goldentones, Ivy-Tones, Five Plaid Throats, Honeytones, Ocapellos, Castinettes, Glowtones, Serenades, Serenaders, Sounds, Five Sounds, Love Notes, Chords, Five Chords, Rip Chords, Five Bars, Four Bars,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Kings, Four Kings, Five Kings, Dukes, Earls, Counts, The Dukays, The Dukes of Dixiland, The Marquis, The Markees, The Sultans, The Five Emperors, The Emperors, The Presidents, The Premiers, The Viceroys, Leaders, Royals, Royal Jokers, Royal Jesters, Princesses, Contessas, Five Royales, Superiors, Royaltones, Glowtones, Four Queens, Maharajahs, Emperors, Five Imperials, Imperial Wonders, Executives, Primes, Primettes, Regals, Regents, Paramounts, Supremes, Superlatives, Five Crowns, Crowns, Arthur Lee Maye & Crowns,

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:20 PM
robins and ravens and wrens oh my!

yep! Lol!!!!!

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards,

Robb! Remember the Impalas' and "Sorry I Ran All the Home"? LOL!

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:23 PM
The Orioles, Five Bluejays, Bluebirds, Jay-Tones, Warblers, Bobby Byrd & The Birds, The Larktones, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Hawks, Parrots, The Five Owls, Condors,

What was it about the bird names? The Eagles [[the Band) even chose a bird name.

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Kings, Four Kings, Five Kings, Dukes, Earls, Counts, The Dukays, The Dukes of Dixiland, The Marquis, The Markees, The Sultans, The Five Emperors, The Emperors, The Presidents, The Premiers, The Viceroys,

I forgot about this grouping. I would call them "The Royals" LOL!!!!

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards,

There was also The Corvettes, The Corsairs, The El Dorados, The Firebirds, The Fleetwoods,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels, Five Emeralds, Luther Bond & The Emeralds,

marv2
10-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies,

This is pretty comprehensive. I'm going to have to really think of who I could add to this list.

robb_k
10-02-2018, 10:49 PM
Jive Bombers, Bombers, Explosions, Volcanos, Exciters, Excitements,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Temptations, Notations, Invitations, Imaginations, Ronny & Relations, Ovations, Conditions, Missions, Rotations, Hesitations, Cremations [[Punk), Creations, Innovations, Equations, Lovations, Admirations, Vareeations, Foundations, Citations, Exceptions, Devotions, Emotions, Potions,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Spiders, Bees, Lions, Spaniels, Greyhounds, Honey Bees, Hornets, Ladybugs, Colts, Bull & Matadors, The Black Sheep, Bullmoose Jackson & His Buffalo Bearcats, Jaguars, Rams, Bumble Bees, B. Bumble & Stingers, Crickets [[R&B group), Fireflies,

marv2
10-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies,

Ok, here's one. The Jewelettes!

marv2
10-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Temptations, Notations, Invitations, Imaginations, Ronny & Relations, Ovations, Conditions, Missions, Rotations, Hesitations, Cremations [[Punk), Creations,

Vito and the Salutations!

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:08 PM
The Pirates, The Corsairs, Otis & Barbarians, Raiders [[ATCO), Paul Revere & Raiders, Camel Drivers, Messengers, Cap-Tans, Captains,

marv2
10-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Spiders, Lions,

The Monkees!

marv2
10-02-2018, 11:10 PM
The Pirates, The Corsairs, Otis & Barbarians, Raiders [[ATCO), Paul Revere & Raiders,

The Gypsy Kings!

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Drifters, Wanderers, Wayward Wanderers, New Wanderers, Rover Boys, Five Rovers, Rovers, Salem Travelers, Pilgrim Travelers, Travelers,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Fabulous Counts, Fabulous Apollos, Fabulous Playboys, Famous Flames, Fabulous Flames, Fantastic Baggys, Magnificents, Fantastics, Fabulettes, Fabulons,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Hollywood Flames, Hollywood Saxons, Hollywood Persuasions, Hollywood Argyles, Village People, Village Callers, Townsmen, Californians, Detroit Executives, Detroit Land Apples, Chi-Lites, Watts 103rd Street Band, Bay Bops, D.C. Playboys, D.C. Blossoms, Philadelphians, New Yorkers, Chicago, Buffalo Bearcats, Ohio Untouchables, Ohio Players, Basin Street Boys, Deep River Boys, Delta Rhythm Boys, Marylanders,

robb_k
10-02-2018, 11:49 PM
The Gypsy Kings!
They could be in the Royalty Section, too!

marv2
10-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels,

I got another one! The Bangles! LOL!

marv2
10-03-2018, 12:15 AM
Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels,

Pearl Jam.

robb_k
10-03-2018, 03:14 AM
Aces, Four Aces, Deuces, Four Aces, Jacks, Four Queens, Four Deuces, Jolly Jacks, Five Jacks, Four Jacks, Kings, Four Kings,

GrtGzu
10-03-2018, 06:34 AM
This board needs to have a "like" and "LOL" button to click on....So MANY good reads here, and I am HOWLING at the posts about how folk name their kids...

Soulster - so true, so true - I have a granddaughter named "Armani"...[[I cringe behind closed doors)...Marv - I'm dead at "Noxema", lol!!!

Such interesting conversation - I swear I learn something new everytime I come here...

I still remember "The Turtles".....

So how does anyone figure out how we evolved from such names of groups from yesteryear to the ones we have today?

Forgot to thank Heikki - his info is so very invaluable...

soulster
10-03-2018, 06:49 AM
I know it happens. I actually met a young woman who's name was "Noxema". LOL!
That's extreme! I once met a girl working at Arby's whose name is Sha-sha. I could only think that her mother liked the song "Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone.

lockhartgary
10-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Let us not forget the Spinners...named after hubcaps!

marv2
10-03-2018, 09:40 AM
That's extreme! I once met a girl working at Arby's whose name is Sha-sha. I could only think that her mother liked the song "Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone.

"Ooooo Sha Sha" LOL!!!!!!

marv2
10-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Hollywood Flames, Hollywood Saxons, Hollywood Persuasions, Hollywood Argyles, Village People, Village Callers, Townsmen, Californians, Detroit Executives, Detroit Land Apples, Chi-Lites, Watts 103rd Street Band, Bay Bops, D.C. Playboys, D.C. Blossoms, Philadelphians, New Yorkers, Chicago, Buffalo Bearcats, Ohio Untouchables, Ohio Players, Basin Street Boys, Deep River Boys, Delta Rhythm Boys, Marylanders,

Brooklyn Dreams!

lockhartgary
10-03-2018, 11:29 AM
I am in the process of editing a wedding and one of the flower girls is named Heavenlee!

MIKEW-UK
10-03-2018, 11:59 AM
ions continued...

The Reflections
The Impressions
The Flirtations
The Persuasions
The Persians
The Radiations
The Quotations
The Reputations
The Determinations
The Fabulous Determinations
The Admirations
The Carnations
The Constellations
The Lost Generation
Mint Condition

and for the birds...The Nightingales, as in Ollie, and Tommy Tate

marv2
10-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Aces, Four Aces, Deuces, Four Aces, Jacks, Four Queens, Four Deuces, Jolly Jacks, Five Jacks, Four Jacks, Kings, Four Kings,

Queen [[the Band)

marv2
10-03-2018, 12:02 PM
i am in the process of editing a wedding and one of the flower girls is named heavenlee!

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luke
10-19-2018, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine interviewed a woman for a job and she got mad at him because he didn’t say her name right...he said “La hyphen Da “ is your name? and she said “It’s La Dash ah...La-A!!

nativeNY63
06-26-2019, 02:11 PM
The Volumes
The Chimes
The New Mastersounds
The Monophonics