PDA

View Full Version : Cindys solo line on mrs robinson. Tcb

test

franjoy56
09-26-2018, 10:43 PM
Someone recently posted on fb an outake of cindy singing the first line in the first verse of mrs robinson on tcb tv show We'd like to know about u for our files. But on the broadcast its diana and cindy singing together then mary does her line. Does anyone know Why was cindys line aborted for what we hear on the album or tv show. Cindy really sounds lovely. I dont know how t post but if anyone has fb its on cindy fb group called a giirl name cindy

marv2
09-26-2018, 11:30 PM
Someone recently posted on fb an outake of cindy singing the first line in the first verse of mrs robinson on tcb tv show We'd like to know about u for our files. But on the broadcast its diana and cindy singing together then mary does her line. Does anyone know Why was cindys line aborted for what we hear on the album or tv show. Cindy really sounds lovely. I dont know how t post but if anyone has fb its on cindy fb group called a giirl name cindy

It didn't make a whole lot of sense. It wasn't like Cindy Birdsong was doing too many leads.....

sup_fan
09-28-2018, 11:56 AM
my only guess is that during this time Mary was [[slowly) getting a little more exposure with the group. some time between Talk of Town and Farewell, two different leads for Mary were added to the show - Falling in Love and Can't Take My Eyes. Mary also did the later during their final Hollywood Palace performance.

There had been a few spots during performances where D would take a line and then M and C would take a line. During the Irving Berlin Medley with Ethel, M and C have a few lines. During Fats Waller medley, they had a few.

I wonder if originally it would have been M and C singing together and then D singing by herself. But they it was changed to M so that she might have a little more exposure? maybe in preparations for D leaving the group they wanted to at least let people know Mary a little better, as an original member?

bradsupremes
09-28-2018, 12:37 PM
I think Gordy wanted Diana to have as much exposure as possible. If it meant taking away Cindy's solo and throwing Diana in there with her, it wouldn't surprise me. He probably would have been met with resistance from Mary if he tried it on her. Cindy was still new.

jim aka jtigre99
09-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Cindy sounded very good, maybe because her voice is so soft they decided to bolster it with Diana. In the speaking parts of TCB and Tarzan, Diana-of course- gets most of the speaking lines and Cindy, being new gets the least. Mary gets to speak more than Cindy,too. It wasn't until Jean joined that Cindy sang lead lines and spoke more, probably because she was no longer the new kid on the block. They could have easily left Cindy's very brief solo line in Mrs. Robinson but it was changed to the share much like Diana's wig in the opening. Who knows why?

marv2
09-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Cindy sounded very good, maybe because her voice is so soft they decided to bolster it with Diana. In the speaking parts of TCB and Tarzan, Diana-of course- gets most of the speaking lines and Cindy, being new gets the least. Mary gets to speak more than Cindy,too. It wasn't until Jean joined that Cindy sang lead lines and spoke more, probably because she was no longer the new kid on the block. They could have easily left Cindy's very brief solo line in Mrs. Robinson but it was changed to the share much like Diana's wig in the opening. Who knows why?

I saw Cindy Birdsong on the Regis Philben Show in the 80s when she was just starting her solo career. She sang a medley of Supremes hits as well as her new solo single. She sounded good! She should have gotten more chances at lead with the Supremes. Cindy also would have made a great comedic actress just based on the samples we got on the Flip Wilson Show of just how good she was at it.

franjoy56
09-30-2018, 01:45 AM
I saw Cindy Birdsong on the Regis Philben Show in the 80s when she was just starting her solo career. She sang a medley of Supremes hits as well as her new solo single. She sounded good! She should have gotten more chances at lead with the Supremes. Cindy also would have made a great comedic actress just based on the samples we got on the Flip Wilson Show of just how good she was at it.i thought she was great on that ist flip wilson episode when they did t skit in the perfume shop and cindy and flip traded lines, but her real show stopper wss when she took flos line on t may 69 ed sullivan episode when she told ross using flos ad lib thin may be in but fat is where its at she owned that one for sure and ed sullivan said one for them while mary laughed her head off.