PDA

View Full Version : That First Big Hit Of "Aretha"'s

test

Boogiedown
09-23-2018, 02:53 AM
Fontella Bass' RESCUE ME charted in 1965 , two years before the Aretha Franklin sound on Atlantic would instantly become a household one.

Has Aretha ever commented on the song and if it had been in any way influential?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7BeGDZewHs

Boogiedown
09-23-2018, 02:57 AM
The association was apparently not lost on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwzaVR_XqU

Boogiedown
09-25-2018, 01:54 AM
So when Pizza Hut called Aretha to do this ad , surely she said, "You do know that I didn't do that song , right?":rolleyes:

Seems like a dirty deal considering Fontella Bass was very much alive and kicking in 1992.:o

reese
09-25-2018, 07:06 AM
I remember a mention of Aretha's commercial in a small column of my local paper. They actually wrote Aretha does a remake of "her" hit RESCUE ME.

marv2
09-25-2018, 09:00 AM
I remember a mention of Aretha's commercial in a small column of my local paper. They actually wrote Aretha does a remake of "her" hit RESCUE ME.

.........On Motown Records! Geez

arr&bee
09-25-2018, 11:37 AM
I must've been in a hooch haze in[92]cause i don't remember that commercial at all...darned hooch,hehe!!

marv2
09-25-2018, 07:21 PM
I must've been in a hooch haze in[92]cause i don't remember that commercial at all...darned hooch,hehe!!

I must have been up there with ya, because I don't remember either! hehehehehehehehe!

lockhartgary
09-25-2018, 07:31 PM
So when Pizza Hut called Aretha to do this ad , surely she said, "You do know that I didn't do that song , right?":rolleyes:

Seems like a dirty deal considering Fontella Bass was very much alive and kicking in 1992.:o

I could imagine some Pizza Hut executive saying something like, "Nobody remembers who Fontella Bass is but EVERYBODY knows who Aretha Franklin is, even if she didn't record the song this commercial is based on!"

marv2
09-25-2018, 08:15 PM
I could imagine some Pizza Hut executive saying something like, "Nobody remembers who Fontella Bass is but EVERYBODY knows who Aretha Franklin is, even if she didn't record the song this commercial is based on!"

I am sure that is exactly what happened Lockhartgary.

Boogiedown
09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Kind of like fake news . Who cares if it's not even her song! Lol!

I'd rather think Pizza Hut called Aretha asking her if she like to do a modification of her old hit and she asked , "how much does it pay ?" When they told her , she said , "let me get back to you."

Then she immediately called her manager: "Quick ! Get me the lyrics sheet to RESCUE ME !!"
Lol!

lockhartgary
09-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Kind of like fake news . Who cares if it's not even her song! Lol!

I'd rather think Pizza Hut called Aretha asking her if she like to do a modification of her old hit and she asked , "how much does it pay ?" When they told her , she said , "let me get back to you."

Then she immediately called her manager: "Quick ! Get me the lyrics sheet to RESCUE ME !!"
Lol!

LOL indeed!

TomatoTom123
09-26-2018, 07:44 PM
The association was apparently not lost on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwzaVR_XqU

Wow, fun advert but just not quite right... :rolleyes:

midnightman
09-27-2018, 05:25 PM
I remembered as a kid first hearing Rescue Me getting confused. I kinda knew it wasn't Aretha but it was still strange nonetheless.

Even stranger? Finding out that Minnie Riperton sung background on this.