PDA

View Full Version : Alternate takes

test

rovereab
09-22-2018, 05:12 AM
Over the years we have been fortunate to have many alternate takes of songs presented to us on Expanded or Deluxe issues of albums. Many have been issued on Supremes, Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross albums which I assume is because they are likely to raise more income for Universal etc.

My question is, does the vault contain a similar number of alternate takes for most other artists? I ask as it would be wonderful to have Deluxe/Expanded versions of other Motown artist "signature albums".

I look forward to some insight on this!

bradsupremes
09-22-2018, 12:13 PM
I'm certain there are alternate vocals and takes on all the major artists. This isn't unique to just the Supremes. One example would the Miracles' "Flower Girl." The first version was from 1966 and then a second version from 1970. Other examples: "The Soulful Shack," the Vandellas' "Can't Break The Habit," the Marvelettes' "Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit," etc.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
09-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Over the years we have been fortunate to have many alternate takes of songs presented to us on Expanded or Deluxe issues of albums. Many have been issued on Supremes, Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross albums which I assume is because they are likely to raise more income for Universal etc.

My question is, does the vault contain a similar number of alternate takes for most other artists? I ask as it would be wonderful to have Deluxe/Expanded versions of other Motown artist "signature albums".

I look forward to some insight on this!

If you can ever find a mono copy of The Miracles' "Make It Happen" album, you'll hear an alternate vocal take on "Tears Of A Clown" as well as "The Soulful Shack". A few years ago, we were treated to an alternate vocal take David Ruffin did on "Since I Lost My Baby." We also got an alternate take, musically of the Velvelettes' "He Was Really Saying Something" so no doubt, I'd wager there are quite a few alternate versions from many of the Motown artists.