PDA

View Full Version : Something I just noticed about You Can't Hurry Love

test

daviddesper
09-20-2018, 12:15 AM
Like all of you I am sure, I have listened to this song probably hundreds if not thousands of times but today I noticed something I had never noticed before.

Each time Diana sings the title line, she pronounces "can't" as if it had an "i" in it. As a result, it comes out sounding Southern, like "cain't." She is very consistent with that throughout the song.

However, there are two other places in the song where the word "can't" is sung as part of a different lyric. But in both cases, she pronounces the word as "can't." There is a very distinct difference.

Do we think this was done deliberately? Anyone else ever noticed it and has it perhaps been discussed on here before?

sup_fan
09-20-2018, 10:22 AM
i doubt it was deliberate as opposed to just natural, due to volume formation.

in the choruses, the word "can't" follows the word "you" and also "no," depending on which chorus it is. both are rounded vowels

in the 2nd verse where "can't" appears twice, both are following the word "I" which is a tall vowel sound.

it's subtle differences but given the speed at which the words come at Diana, her own nasality of tone and given that she wasn't a classically trained musician with formal education regarding vowel placement within the mouth, lips and tongue, it's really just more the natural pronunciation.