PDA

View Full Version : Who Needs an Unsung episode?

test

Optimal Saint
09-19-2018, 11:21 AM
First post but Long time lurker here.

Who do you think needs an unsung episode?

I have many candidates:

There are some big names here but if The O'jays, Spinners, both lead singers of the Temptations and Otis Redding are Unsung then anyone could be

Joe Simon
Jr Walker & the All Stars
War
Joe Tex
Mandrill
Osibisa

Main Ingredient
Paul Kelly
Meters
Syl Johnson
New Birth
Booker T & the MGs
Ann Peeples
OV Wright
Solomon Burke
Slave

Chairmen of the Board [[or Invictus-Hot Wax as a whole, labels owned by HDH after they left Motown, acts include the Chairmen, Freda Payne, Honey Cone, Flaming Ember)

Archie Bell and the Drells
LaBelle/Patti Labelle
Rufus/Chaka Khan
Johnny "Guitar" Watson
Average White Band
Post Diana Supremes
Post Smokey Miracles
Post Motown Four Tops
Willie Hutch
Johnny Bristol
The Trammps
Tony! Tone! Toni!
Curtis Mayfield
Betty Wright
Bettye Lavette
Rufus Thomas
Carla Thomas
Irma Thomas
Sam & Dave
Candi Staton
Clarence Carter

If we're doing Unsung Hollywood:

Amen
The Wiz
Five Heartbeats/Robert Townsend
Leon
Good Times
Frank's Place/Tim Reid

Motown Eddie
09-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Amen! I'd watch any of the many artists & actors that you listed on Unsung/Unsung Hollywood. If I may add a few to the list;

Brenda Holloway
Average White Band
Kim Weston
Mable John

and on Unsung Hollywood;
the making of Shaft
the making of Superfly
the making of The White Shadow.

lucky2012
09-19-2018, 12:31 PM
I vote for and would watch:
Jr. Walker & the All-Stars
Brenda Holloway
Kim Weston
Johnny Bristol

Invictus/Hot Wax

Booker T & the MGs
Ann Peebles
Sam & Dave
Joe Simon

Candi Staton
Carla Thomas
Irma Thomas
Betty Wright
The Trammps

Can't believe some would be considered Unsung:

Chaka Khan
Patti Labelle
Curtis Mayfield
Post Diana Supremes

TomatoTom123
09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Even seeing some of these names on a list makes me happy, just to know that other people enjoy their music as much as me. :)

alexstassi
09-19-2018, 07:41 PM
I really wanna see The Dramatics and Chi-lites episodes.... hard to catch these living in the UK

Tony Toni Tone
Undisputed Truth
Leroy Hutson

alexstassi
09-19-2018, 07:43 PM
The UK group "The Real Thing" are releasing a documentary soon... that would be good to watch

Optimal Saint
09-19-2018, 09:40 PM
The UK group "The Real Thing" are releasing a documentary soon... that would be good to watch

Thats great. Do you know if it will be on tv or DVD?

i know can you feel the force is their big hit but my fave song of theirs is raining through my sunshine

Optimal Saint
09-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Can't believe some would be considered Unsung:

Chaka Khan
Patti Labelle
Curtis Mayfield
Post Diana Supremes

i think that curtis mayfield is arguably the biggest name on my list but if they can do an Isaac Hayes episode they can do Curtis

i disagree on the post Diana supremes.

If you were to talk to 100 random people and ask about the supremes how many would mention anything post Diana?

2? 5?

i think that they are absolutely unsung

I'll also add William Bell, Eddie Floyd, graham central station, Gene Chandler and King Curtis

Joe Simon and Jr. Walker are my two biggest wants

I'll also add a controversial unsung Hollywood candidate:

Stepin Fetchit

i can't remember the name of it but a few years ago I saw a play about Stepin Fetchit and Muhammad Ali [[Gordon from sesame street played fetchit)

it was fascinating and afterwards I read a bit more on him.

Definitely feel he's worthy on an unsung

lucky2012
09-19-2018, 11:26 PM
i think that curtis mayfield is arguably the biggest name on my list but if they can do an Isaac Hayes episode they can do Curtis
Absolutely right! Maybe one on the Impressions, while they're at it.

i disagree on the post Diana supremes.

If you were to talk to 100 random people and ask about the supremes how many would mention anything post Diana?
I guess as time goes on the post Diana Supremes will be remembered less. Stoned Love was a big hit, but unfortunately, some think it's a Diana Ross lead vocal. :[[

glencro
09-20-2018, 12:24 AM
Sister Sledge
The Jones Girls
Mary Jane Girls
Tony Toni Tone
Incognito
The Hawkins Family
The Caravans
Rahsaan Patterson
High Inergy
O'Bryan
Perri

alexstassi
09-20-2018, 01:15 AM

i know can you feel the force is their big hit but my fave song of theirs is raining through my sunshine

Not sure... they posted a screenshot on instagram.
Their biggest uk hit was You to me are everything... and raining through my sunshine is my favourite too...

marv2
09-20-2018, 01:32 AM
Sister Sledge
The Jones Girls
Mary Jane Girls
Tony Toni Tone
Incognito
The Hawkins Family
The Caravans
Rahsaan Patterson
High Inergy
O'Bryan
Perri

Definitely Perri and the Jones Girls. I would add Carl Carlton.

JimBagley
09-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Love all of your suggestions. Would like to add:
Eddie Holman.
The Velvelettes.
Love Unlimited.
Ronnie Walker.
Jean Carne.
Jackie Moore.
Dee Dee Sharp.
The Orlons.
The Tymes.
Dennis Edwards.
The Dells [[every person in the world needs to know their story).
Post Teddy Blue Notes including solo David Ebo.

lockhartgary
09-21-2018, 10:49 PM
My additions:
Bloodstone
Brenda and the Tabulations

Ngroove
09-22-2018, 01:31 AM
The Contours
Major Lance
Barbara Mason
Sam & Dave
Tyrone Davis
Ben Vereen
Irene Cara
Carrie Lucas
Dynasty
S.O.S. Band
The Deele
Surface
Gwen Guthrie
Jermaine Stewart
Glenn Jones
Freestyle [[Genre)

And, under "since Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Eartha Kitt, Sammy Davis Jr. got an episode" clause:

Jackie Wilson
Sherman Hemsley

splanky
09-22-2018, 01:38 PM
I totally agree with any mention of two acts already mentioned on this thread:
Brenda and the Tabulations and New Birth. I might be interested in a couple pages on some
of the others but as far as Brenda and New Birth I want a book...Backtracking a sec,
I'd add Jean Carne but as her story is still unfolding in this time, she and her ex Doug
reconciled a couple of years ago, so I doubt Unsung would dare to write a tale still
being told...

lockhartgary
09-22-2018, 02:11 PM
The Contours
Major Lance
Barbara Mason
Sam & Dave
Tyrone Davis
Ben Vereen
Irene Cara
Carrie Lucas
Dynasty
S.O.S. Band
The Deele
Surface
Gwen Guthrie
Jermaine Stewart
Glenn Jones
Freestyle [[Genre)

And, under "since Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Eartha Kitt, Sammy Davis Jr. got an episode" clause:

Jackie Wilson
Sherman Hemsley

Did you get a chance to see the Unsung Hollywood episode on "The Jeffersons"?

woodward
09-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Mabel John
Marv Johnson

Optimal Saint
09-22-2018, 09:45 PM
Forgot to add Ben E King and Bill Withers

i don't know if it's unsung but I'd love a documentary on in living color [[has Jim Carey ever talked about his time in the show?)

like the idea of shaft and superfly if the wont do them separately maybe a 2 hour on blaxploitation as a whole? Maybe two 2 hours one of the films the other on the soundtracks

theres a rocky marathon on now - I'd add Mr. T. A true mid 80s phenomenon. The man had his own breakfast cereal

id also love to see one on Sam Cooke

sansradio
09-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Hollywood Unsung candidates:

Diana Sands
Noble Johnson
Madame Sul-te-Wan
James Edwards
Nina Mae McKinney
Frank Silvera
Rosalind Cash
Calvin Lockhart
Beah Richards
D’Urville Martin

marv2
09-23-2018, 01:35 AM

Diana Sands
Noble Johnson
Madame Sul-te-Wan
James Edwards
Nina Mae McKinney
Frank Silvera
Rosalind Cash
Calvin Lockhart
Beah Richards
D’Urville Martin

That is a great list Sansradio.

Bluebrock
09-23-2018, 02:41 AM

Their biggest UK hits were the no.1 "you to me are everything" and the no.2 "can't get by without you", but i also adore "raining through my sunshine" and other lesser hits like "you'll never know what your missing", "give me your love" and "whenever you want my love". Chris Amoo has a superb soulful voice, and i saw the group live only a few weeks back where he sounded as great as ever. Excellent group.

Ngroove
09-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Did you get a chance to see the Unsung Hollywood episode on "The Jeffersons"?

Yes, but a refresher would be most nice to the public; that he was not just The Jeffersons / Amen, but everywhere, somewhere in just about every popular show between the seventies to nineties, myself with my golden memories of Family Matters, Sister, Sister, and Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air.

jboy88
09-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Definitely Harold Melvin and the Blue notes! I’ve heard too many stories about Harold! The chill, laid back demeanor displayed on the recordings was the opposite of his true self.

Also, Sam & Dave and Sanford & Son for the same reasons. So much tea!

Roberta75
09-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Yvonne Fair
The 70's Supremes
Lipps Inc
Betty Wright

JimBagley
09-23-2018, 05:28 PM
I would love to see an episode on Judy Pace

Optimal Saint
09-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Diana Sands
Noble Johnson
Madame Sul-te-Wan
James Edwards
Nina Mae McKinney
Frank Silvera
Rosalind Cash
Calvin Lockhart
Beah Richards
D’Urville Martin

only name I recognize is Rosalind Cash

need to google the rest

also add Chi McBride, Keith David and Ving Rhames

sansradio
09-24-2018, 03:52 PM
That is a great list Sansradio.

Thank ya, sir.

sansradio
09-24-2018, 03:54 PM
I would love to see an episode on Judy Pace

Excellent choice! Her marriage to Curt Flood alone would make it must-see TV.

sansradio
09-24-2018, 03:55 PM
only name I recognize is Rosalind Cash

need to google the rest

I guess that makes them great candidates, in that case! :cool:

Welcome to the Forum, BTW!

marv2
09-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Thank ya, sir.

You're inclusion of James Edwards was a pleasant surprise in that I have been looking for a made of TV he made when I was a kid called "Color Me German". I found it listed but not a way to obtain a copy of it. Diana Sands was great, totally unsung.

sansradio
09-24-2018, 07:44 PM
You're inclusion of James Edwards was a pleasant surprise in that I have been looking for a made of TV he made when I was a kid called "Color Me German". I found it listed but not a way to obtain a copy of it. Diana Sands was great, totally unsung.

Interesting. That title is new to me. I’ll do some poking around. He could’ve been as big as Poitier [[and in fact made his splash first), but apparently was troubled and not a team player.

And I live and breathe Diana Sands. Just a magnificent talent taken way too soon.

marv2
09-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Excellent choice! Her marriage to Curt Flood alone would make it must-see TV.

She also married for years to actor Don Marshall of "Ironside" fame.

marv2
09-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Interesting. That title is new to me. I’ll do some poking around. He could’ve been as big as Poitier [[and in fact made his splash first), but apparently was troubled and not a team player.

And I live and breathe Diana Sands. Just a magnificent talent taken way too soon.

The formal, complete title of the program was : "NBC Experiment in Television" [[TV Series 1967–1971) - I saw the "Color Me German" episode in the spring of 1970 while I was stuck in the hospital at 9 years old. I learned recently that Edwards passed away earlier that year.

sansradio
09-24-2018, 10:26 PM
She also married for years to actor Don Marshall of "Ironside" fame.

Oh, snap, that’s right! Rest his soul.

sansradio
09-24-2018, 10:31 PM
The formal, complete title of the program was : "NBC Experiment in Television" [[TV Series 1967–1971) - I saw the "Color Me German" episode in the spring of 1970 while I was stuck in the hospital at 9 years old. I learned recently that Edwards passed away earlier that year.

Will look into it.

On another note, what about Brenda Sykes? She was a sex symbol for a hot minute. The last TV or film credit I can find is an episode of “Good Times” from ‘79; then she married Gil Scott-Heron and kind of disappeared from the Hollywood scene.

Lola Falana deserves one big-time. A ‘70s household name who’s forgotten/unknown to the current generations.

marv2
09-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Will look into it.

On another note, what about Brenda Sykes? She was a sex symbol for a hot minute. The last TV or film credit I can find is an episode of “Good Times” from ‘79; then she married Gil Scott-Heron and kind of disappeared from the Hollywood scene.

Lola Falana deserves one big-time. A ‘70s household name who’s forgotten/unknown to the current generations.

Love Brenda Sykes, love Lola Falana both beautiful, talented women. They need to be recognized.

blackguy69
09-30-2018, 10:20 AM
I highly doubt the 70’s Supremes or The Smokey less miracles will be featured for the pure fact that it’s a continuation of the same groups that were already big. Same with Chaka and Patti. More than likely you won’t see Curtis either or the four tops.

blackguy69
09-30-2018, 10:23 AM
I would love to see the Honeycone ,the Originals and Vicky Sue Robinson

midnightman
10-01-2018, 09:01 PM
The Three Degrees and First Choice each need one. They done covered all the Philly male groups, now they need to do the female acts there.

marv2
10-01-2018, 10:25 PM
I would love to see the Honeycone ,the Originals and Vicky Sue Robinson

Vicki Sue Robinson for sure and the Originals most def.!

marv2
10-01-2018, 10:27 PM
I highly doubt the 70’s Supremes or The Smokey less miracles will be featured for the pure fact that it’s a continuation of the same groups that were already big. Same with Chaka and Patti. More than likely you won’t see Curtis either or the four tops.

I agree, that would not make sense. There was never a group called "The 70s Supremes" or "The Smokey Less Miracles". Besides both are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and both have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They are not "unsung".

Optimal Saint
10-19-2018, 06:57 PM
I highly doubt the 70’s Supremes or The Smokey less miracles will be featured for the pure fact that it’s a continuation of the same groups that were already big.

I've decided that I'm going to die on this hill.

I'll grant the argument against the post Motown Four Tops.

Every artist that has been recording for decades has a "heyday" that the majority of the hits and fame came from.

Other than Standing on the Top, I couldn't tell you a single post 1980 Temptations song. But I don't think that 80s and beyond Temptations need an unsung episode. So I get excluding the tops. i'd like to see it but I get it

I think that the Supremes and Miracles are a different story.

When a group loses it's lead singer that is a line in the sand, a clear division between eras

There is a definite difference between Diana leaving the Supremes versus Flo

And as far as the general public is concerned at least 95% of the hits and fame and being "sung" comes from the Diana & Smokey eras

I'd love to find out more about the transitions. I think that Smokey wanted to leave the Miracles 2-3 years before he finally did

How was Jean Terrell chosen as the new lead?

I'd heard that's not who Berry Gordy wanted. If that's true who did he want?

Who else was in the running? Was Mary becoming the new lead not an option?

was there competition between new Supremes and Diana solo? both in and outside Motown?

the Miracles losing Smokey meant not just losing their lead singer but also their main writer and producer.

How did they decide what direction to move in?

Personally I would still like to see a deeper dive into that time period of both groups

Optimal Saint
10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
Add

Jimmy Castor Bunch
Tyrone Davis
Black Ivory
Five Stairsteps
Commodores - to the public at large I think they are Brick House and the group Lionel Ritchie was in before he went solo
Lee Dorsey
Leon Ware
Albert King
Edwin Starr
Jerry Butler
Chuck Jackson
Billy Paul
Morris Day & the Time
Dionne Warwick [[I'd say Dee Dee too, but the Whitney allegations makes it unlikely)

For Hollywood Alfre Woodard - I always thought she was like the female Morgan Freeman: always classes up whatever project she's in

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon

Scatman Crothers

Carl Weathers

manny
10-25-2018, 07:35 AM
I'm totally agree with "post - Smokey Robinson's MIRACLES". Since my teens, when I purchased "Love Crazy" I can't spend more than a month without re-heard this MONUMENTAL masterpiece of harmony vocal soul... and the falasetto of Billy Griffin on this album is, IMHO, his best on his career.

manny
10-25-2018, 07:52 AM
My humble list [[some one have been mentioned before):

- Incognito
- Light Of The World [[the UK fusion group "mother" or origin of Beggar & Co and Incognito)
- Roy Ayers
- Futures
- Mighty Clouds Of Joy
- Floaters
- Dramatics
- Sweet Sensation
- Melba Moore
- Sisters Love
- People's Choice
- Soul Survivors
- Double Exposure
- O.T. Sykes
- O. V. Wright
- Angelo Bond
- Sylvia Smith
- Freda Payne
- Sidney Joe Quails
- Natural Four
- Joe Tex
- Tyrone Davis
- Clarence Carter
- Frederic Knight
- Sharon Paige [[solo and with The Blue Notes on PIR and after in ABC and Source)

sansradio
10-25-2018, 03:38 PM
My humble list [[some one have been mentioned before):

- Incognito
- Light Of The World [[the UK fusion group "mother" or origin of Beggar & Co and Incognito)
- Roy Ayers
- Futures
- Mighty Clouds Of Joy
- Floaters
- Dramatics
- Sweet Sensation
- Melba Moore
- Sisters Love
- People's Choice
- Soul Survivors
- Double Exposure
- O.T. Sykes
- O. V. Wright
- Angelo Bond
- Sylvia Smith
- Freda Payne
- Sidney Joe Quails
- Natural Four
- Joe Tex
- Tyrone Davis
- Clarence Carter
- Frederic Knight
- Sharon Paige [[solo and with The Blue Notes on PIR and after in ABC and Source)

Melba Moore has been featured on "Unsung" already, as have The Dramatics. Here's the Dramatics link, which won't embed, for some reason. Hope you can see this in your country.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6nsdy3

mr_june
10-28-2018, 12:59 PM
I didn't read the entire thread but if not mentioned, The Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose would be a nice unsung episode. Here are some more:

Archie Bell & The Drells, The Intruders, Major Lance, Gene Chandler, The Five Stair Steps, Sonji Clay, Mel & Tim and Tavares.

mr_june
10-28-2018, 01:07 PM
First post but Long time lurker here.

Who do you think needs an unsung episode?

I have many candidates:

There are some big names here but if The O'jays, Spinners, both lead singers of the Temptations and Otis Redding are Unsung then anyone could be

Joe Simon
Jr Walker & the All Stars
War
Joe Tex
Mandrill
Osibisa

Main Ingredient
Paul Kelly
Meters
Syl Johnson
New Birth
Booker T & the MGs
Ann Peeples
OV Wright
Solomon Burke
Slave

Chairmen of the Board [[or Invictus-Hot Wax as a whole, labels owned by HDH after they left Motown, acts include the Chairmen, Freda Payne, Honey Cone, Flaming Ember)

Archie Bell and the Drells
LaBelle/Patti Labelle
Rufus/Chaka Khan
Johnny "Guitar" Watson
Average White Band
Post Diana Supremes
Post Smokey Miracles
Post Motown Four Tops
Willie Hutch
Johnny Bristol
The Trammps
Tony! Tone! Toni!
Curtis Mayfield
Betty Wright
Bettye Lavette
Rufus Thomas
Carla Thomas
Irma Thomas
Sam & Dave
Candi Staton
Clarence Carter

If we're doing Unsung Hollywood:

Amen
The Wiz
Five Heartbeats/Robert Townsend
Leon
Good Times
Frank's Place/Tim Reid

Mandrill definitely needs an Unsung episode.

arr&bee
10-29-2018, 12:37 PM
How about-ray,goodman brown[aka]the moments?

Cincinnati_Kid
11-02-2018, 05:59 PM
I would nominate Joe Tex. My parents loved that guy when I was a youngster... I can hear "Skinny Legs and All" playing in my head now.

Optimal Saint
11-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Isley Brothers

Allen Toussaint

Sade

James Carr

denise lasalle

clarence Reid "blowfly"

Roy Ayers

shuggie Otis

zZ Hill

Lattimore

anita Baker

Brothers Johnson

Optimal Saint
11-07-2018, 01:16 PM
I would nominate Joe Tex. My parents loved that guy when I was a youngster... I can hear "Skinny Legs and All" playing in my head now.

i gotcha and loose caboose are my fave Tex tunes

marv2
11-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Yep, definitely Joe Tex!

Optimal Saint
03-11-2019, 05:26 PM
I’m disappointed in the picks for the new season

I’d rather see any of the great suggestions in this thread than what the network picked

I know his heyday predates most of those listed by Billy Eckstine?

I love Numero’s Eccentric Soul series and I’d love a documentary on any of the labels they featured

Mothers Finest

For Hollywood

Louis Gossett Jr

Levar Burton [[roots, reading rainbow and Star Trek, I always thought he should’ve been bigger than he was)

Eriq LaSalle best known for ER

Alphonso Riberio Silver spoons fresh prince and that michael Jackson Pepsi commercial

Cincinnati_Kid
03-15-2019, 04:08 PM
I’m disappointed in the picks for the new season

I’d rather see any of the great suggestions in this thread than what the network picked

I know his heyday predates most of those listed by Billy Eckstine?

I love Numero’s Eccentric Soul series and I’d love a documentary on any of the labels they featured

Mothers Finest

For Hollywood

Louis Gossett Jr

Levar Burton [[roots, reading rainbow and Star Trek, I always thought he should’ve been bigger than he was)

Eriq LaSalle best known for ER

Alphonso Riberio Silver spoons fresh prince and that michael Jackson Pepsi commercial

Who did they pick for the new season?

lockhartgary
03-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Who did they pick for the new season?
Season starts March 3, 2019.

Those showcased will be:
Lloyd
Adina Howard
The Jets
Shirley Murdock
Crystal Waters
Glenn Jones
Kenny Latimore
Tasha Cobbs Leonard

PeaceNHarmony
03-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Esther Phillips.

Guy
03-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Nona Hendryx
Roy Ayers
Patti Austin
Randy Crawford

caliluv
04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Don Covay!!

Optimal Saint
04-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Not an unsung episode but I just read that Robert Townsend finished a documentary on the Five Heartbeats

Can’t wait to see it

Cincinnati_Kid
04-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Nona Hendryx
Roy Ayers
Patti Austin
Randy Crawford

All of these would be great, especially Roy Ayers, whom I thought was underrated.

Optimal Saint
06-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Is Chubby Checker worthy of an unsung?

I just know him for the twist

But I think he was a huge deal at the time and was a massive influence on that era

Cincinnati_Kid
06-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Is Chubby Checker worthy of an unsung?

I just know him for the twist

But I think he was a huge deal at the time and was a massive influence on that era

Maybe. But I would think, longevity and number of hit songs aren't in his favor. He was only popular for a few years.

marv2
06-08-2019, 04:22 PM
All of these would be great, especially Roy Ayers, whom I thought was underrated.

I vote for Roy Ayers also. He made some incredible music.

marv2
06-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Chubby Checker is an American Music Icon even without a long list of hit records.

arr&bee
06-08-2019, 06:54 PM
The artistics

edafan
06-09-2019, 10:19 AM
James Jamerson & his influence on later bass players

Ngroove
06-10-2019, 02:36 AM
Still hoping for one on Sam & Dave. I really, really, really want to know, in Sam Moore's words, his thoughts on Atlantic owning them all along over Stax, Stax splitting from them, and afterwards.

nativeNY63
06-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Don Covay!!
Yes! "Your love is like a Seesaw, baby...up, down..!

nativeNY63
06-17-2019, 12:02 PM
Here's my picks, guys:

Unsung -

Case
Unifics
G C Cameron
Jerry Butler [[The Iceman)
AWB
Rare Earth
Jesse Johnson
Alexander O'Neal
Billy Stewart
Rockwell
Musiq Soulchild
Calvin Richardson
Brainstorm
Grover Washington, Jr

Unsung Hollywood -

Tatiana Ali [[Fresh Prince of Bel Air)
Aries Spears ,[[comedian/actor/impressionist)
Jayne Kennedy

Enjoy!

sansradio
06-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Hey native, I believe Alexander O'Neal did have an "Unsung" ep a few years back. If memory serves, it was a joint program with Cherrelle.

Optimal Saint
06-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Was there more to Rockwell than I think?

Which is he was Berry Gordy’s son who had one hit song that was only a hit because Thriller era Michael Jackson was on it

nativeNY63
06-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Hey native, I believe Alexander O'Neal did have an "Unsung" ep a few years back. If memory serves, it was a joint program with Cherrelle.
Thanks, sans. Missed it.

nativeNY63
06-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Was there more to Rockwell than I think?

Which is he was Berry Gordy’s son who had one hit song that was only a hit because Thriller era Michael Jackson was on it
Yup. And the only other asterisk to his "career", was that he enjoyed beating the tar out of his live-in girlfriend! Girlie-man hit her with a chair! "I always feel like somebody's watching me. And I get no privacy!" [[cue Michael)

StuBass1
06-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Did anyone say Ronnie Dyson? Would be a very compelling episode...

nativeNY63
06-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Add Miche'le and Diddy balladeer, Carl Thomas. Pearl Bailey too.

lockhartgary
06-18-2019, 01:44 PM

Michel'le has an Unsung episode.

nativeNY63
06-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Michel'le has an Unsung episode.
Thanks, lockhartgary.

glencro
06-18-2019, 07:35 PM
I've decided that I'm going to die on this hill.

I'll grant the argument against the post Motown Four Tops.

Every artist that has been recording for decades has a "heyday" that the majority of the hits and fame came from.

Other than Standing on the Top, I couldn't tell you a single post 1980 Temptations song. But I don't think that 80s and beyond Temptations need an unsung episode. So I get excluding the tops. i'd like to see it but I get it

I think that the Supremes and Miracles are a different story.

When a group loses it's lead singer that is a line in the sand, a clear division between eras

There is a definite difference between Diana leaving the Supremes versus Flo

And as far as the general public is concerned at least 95% of the hits and fame and being "sung" comes from the Diana & Smokey eras

I'd love to find out more about the transitions. I think that Smokey wanted to leave the Miracles 2-3 years before he finally did

How was Jean Terrell chosen as the new lead?

I'd heard that's not who Berry Gordy wanted. If that's true who did he want?

Who else was in the running? Was Mary becoming the new lead not an option?

was there competition between new Supremes and Diana solo? both in and outside Motown?

the Miracles losing Smokey meant not just losing their lead singer but also their main writer and producer.

How did they decide what direction to move in?

Personally I would still like to see a deeper dive into that time period of both groups

I have to agree with you. I would love to hear more about the post Diana Supremes and post Smokey Miracles, even the challenges they had in their attempt to move forward. They both seemed like completely different groups after their leads left. Unlike the other groups mentioned, these two groups not only lost the member but the name that defined the groups.

jboy88
06-18-2019, 07:57 PM
The Impressions, who rebounded after losing not one, but TWO lead singers!

Cincinnati_Kid
06-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Pearl Bailey is a good call....

Cincinnati_Kid
06-19-2019, 11:08 AM
The Impressions, who rebounded after losing not one, but TWO lead singers!

Them too !!

Optimal Saint
06-19-2019, 02:17 PM
I have to agree with you. I would love to hear more about the post Diana Supremes and post Smokey Miracles, even the challenges they had in their attempt to move forward. They both seemed like completely different groups after their leads left. Unlike the other groups mentioned, these two groups not only lost the member but the name that defined the groups.

Looks like it’s just you and me on this

We’re like Denzel at the end of glory

nativeNY63
06-19-2019, 08:14 PM
William DeVaughn and D'Angelo

mr_june
06-20-2019, 09:36 AM
The Intruders
Billy Butler
Major Lance
Sonji Clay [[Royce)
Gene Chandler
The Brothers of Soul
5 Stair Steps

nativeNY63
06-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Black Ivory.

Cincinnati_Kid
07-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Johnny "Guitar" Watson. Would love to see one on him.

splanky
07-21-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of Roy when I first responded to this question but he
would be perfect for an unsung. He's produced what has become a standard [[Everybody
Loves The Sunshine) and worked with a variety of other folks, from the legendary Afrobeat icon Fela Kuti to Rick James....I agree, he could use an Unsung....but I still want New Birth...

mr_june
07-21-2019, 05:35 PM
If not listed:

Johnny Pate big time.

arr&bee
07-22-2019, 01:52 PM
The moments..the flamingos..clyde mcphatter.

marv2
07-22-2019, 02:39 PM
MC Lyte

Angela Bofil

Keith Washington

sansradio
07-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Angela Bofil

Angela was given an "Unsung" episode years ago.

marv2
07-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Angela was given an "Unsung" episode years ago.

Really? Good, thanks. I have to find that.

sansradio
07-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Really? Good, thanks. I have to find that.

Yeah, the cameras even accompany her to post-stroke therapy. It's wrenching to watch, but, at the same time, her tenacity shines through, which makes the episode bittersweet.

marv2
07-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Yeah, the cameras even accompany her to post-stroke therapy. It's wrenching to watch, but, at the same time, her tenacity shines through, which makes the episode bittersweet.

I saw Angie in concert at the Masonic Auditorium in Toledo years and years ago. It was one the best shows I had seen. She really could sing and was very personable.

nativeNY63
08-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Forgot to add Ben E King and Bill Withers

i don't know if it's unsung but I'd love a documentary on in living color [[has Jim Carey ever talked about his time in the show?)

like the idea of shaft and superfly if the wont do them separately maybe a 2 hour on blaxploitation as a whole? Maybe two 2 hours one of the films the other on the soundtracks

theres a rocky marathon on now - I'd add Mr. T. A true mid 80s phenomenon. The man had his own breakfast cereal

id also love to see one on Sam Cooke

There's a good documentary on YouTube on In Living Color. It was a reunion of sorts. Carrey & Jamie Foxx were a no show. Too big for such small potatoes!! Har har.

nativeNY63
08-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Definitely Harold Melvin and the Blue notes! I’ve heard too many stories about Harold! The chill, laid back demeanor displayed on the recordings was the opposite of his true self.

Also, Sam & Dave and Sanford & Son for the same reasons. So much tea!
Supposedly, Harold was throwing shade on TP singing lead. "Who's in charge here?" - Al Haig

nativeNY63
08-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Love Brenda Sykes, love Lola Falana both beautiful, talented women. They need to be recognized.
Toss in the ultra-gorgeous Jayne Kennedy of those '70's prison flicks. And her wacky then husband too!

nativeNY63
08-02-2019, 09:46 AM
The super underrated Calvin Richardson. And equally underrated Eric Roberson.

Optimal Saint
08-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Was this ever released?

Philles/Motown Gary
08-05-2019, 05:18 PM
I totally agree with any mention of two acts already mentioned on this thread:
Brenda and the Tabulations and New Birth. I might be interested in a couple pages on some
of the others but as far as Brenda and New Birth I want a book...Backtracking a sec,
I'd add Jean Carne but as her story is still unfolding in this time, she and her ex Doug
reconciled a couple of years ago, so I doubt Unsung would dare to write a tale still
being told...

I couldn't agree with you more regarding Brenda & The Tabs, Splanky. So many beautiful records -- many of which were Van McCoy-related, no less -- yet they remain, sadly, buried in the shadows.

thatanyway
08-13-2019, 11:39 PM
Tavares.

Top suggestion.

Optimal Saint
08-14-2019, 01:25 AM
I know they are more jazz/world music than soul but should Hugh Masekela and Manu Dibango have an unsung episode?

Optimal Saint
08-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Richard Pryor is hardly unsung

But I feel his TV shows are

I’d love an episode of unsung Hollywood on both his short lived [[4 episodes) sketch comedy show - precursor to in living color

And Pryors Place his tv show for children

kpitt1204
08-25-2019, 02:25 AM
Double Exposure, First Choice, Mary Wilson, En Vogue, Patti Labelle and the Bluebelles, Bettye Lavette, George Benson, Dee Dee Sharp, The Intruders, The Sweet Inspirations, and the Three Degrees need Unsung episodes, in my humble opinion. PS. Add Roberta Flack to that list.

jboy88
08-25-2019, 11:59 PM

I’d love an episode of unsung Hollywood on both his short lived [[4 episodes) sketch comedy show - precursor to in living color

I would have to slightly disagree with that one Saint. There are quite a few millennials and Gen Zs who have never even heard of Richard Pryor. I’ve had to to explain to many of my contemporaries who he was upon referencing him.

Optimal Saint
08-26-2019, 07:45 PM
I would have to slightly disagree with that one Saint. There are quite a few millennials and Gen Zs who have never even heard of Richard Pryor. I’ve had to to explain to many of my contemporaries who he was upon referencing him.

That is sad and disturbing

‘Never even heard of Richard Pryor?’

How is that possible? It would be like never even hearing of Muhammad Ali

Optimal Saint
08-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Does Grace Jones need an Unsung?

Optimal Saint
09-30-2019, 08:11 PM
Patti Austin

jboy88
01-22-2020, 09:52 PM
The new season is starting next month. If you had Betty Wright, Billy Paul or Al Jarreau on your want list, your in for a surprise.

lockhartgary
01-23-2020, 10:58 PM
The new season is starting next month. If you had Betty Wright, Billy Paul or Al Jarreau on your want list, your in for a surprise.

Thanks for the update.

Here's a full list of who will be featured:

MC Roxanne Shante
Christopher Williams
Skyy
Shannon
Billy Paul
Betty Wright
Al Jarreau
Goodie Mob.

jboy88
01-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Don’t forget Dru Hill, who’s story is kicking off the new season. It also been confirmed that the Jones Girls are going to be featured possibly later this year. I guess they realize there’s still an audience for 70s artists.

Optimal Saint
01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the update.

Here's a full list of who will be featured:

MC Roxanne Shante
Christopher Williams
Skyy
Shannon
Billy Paul
Betty Wright
Al Jarreau
Goodie Mob.

Most interested in billy Paul and betty Wright

Where o where is my joe Simon and joe Tex episodes?

Cincinnati_Kid
01-30-2020, 10:31 AM
As I mentioned earlier, would love a Johnny "Guitar" Watson as well.

Optimal Saint
01-30-2020, 10:08 PM
Unsung Hollywood

New Jack City
Friday
I know they did one on Kid & Play but I feel that House Party could get it's own episode
Not really unsung but I’d love one on James earl Jones
Nell Carter
DJ Hughley
Nia Long
Sanaa Lathan

scanspeak
02-22-2020, 04:54 PM
I'd love to see an episode on Berry Gordy or Raynoma Singleton.

Optimal Saint
04-05-2021, 11:07 PM
I enjoyed the Morris Day episode

Not really interested in any of the other episodes other than the jones girls

Someone should email this thread to TV One

Some great choices here

I know he’s known more as a songwriter but I’d like to see George Jackson

Also Willie Hutch

Optimal Saint
04-05-2021, 11:08 PM
Was the real thing documentary ever released?

Optimal Saint
06-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Finally listened to the Tyrone Davis box set that had been sitting on my shelf for years

Needs an unsung

Lots of great songs

Al Wilson? The snake and show and tell were hits

I’d like one on the Kashmere Stage Band but to be fair they have a documentary Thunder Soul

Well worth watching if you’ve never seen it

Optimal Saint
01-11-2022, 11:54 AM
Reading this makes me want a Garrett Morris Unsung

It Ain't Easy Being Garrett Morris | Cracked.com [[https://www.cracked.com/article_32320_it-aint-easy-being-garrett-morris.html)

And I'm doubling down on Joe Simon

Optimal Saint
01-18-2022, 12:37 PM
Andre Williams and Eddie Bo

Cincinnati_Kid
01-20-2022, 09:28 AM
Reading this makes me want a Garrett Morris Unsung

It Ain't Easy Being Garrett Morris | Cracked.com [[https://www.cracked.com/article_32320_it-aint-easy-being-garrett-morris.html)

And I'm doubling down on Joe Simon

Especially since Joe Simon recently passed away.

Optimal Saint
05-09-2022, 04:06 PM
Just listened to my Jackie Wilson CD's - definitely could use an Unsung

I think to the public at large he's known as the singer Berry Gordy wrote songs for right before he started Motown

Optimal Saint
05-09-2022, 04:10 PM
Wasn't a huge fan of this new season. I did like the PM Dawn episode

The decade episodes were interesting

Basically Unsung: One Hit Wonders of the [[Decade)

Artists who had their big hit but not enough for a whole Unsung episode on their own

I thought they felt a little rushed, probably could/should have made each one 2 hours

jboy88
05-09-2022, 04:34 PM
Edwin Starr and Brick had more than enough hits for their own episodes. Especially since “Soul 4 Real” got on despite only having two major hits.

MIKEW-UK
05-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Surprised that nobody has mentioned an individual who made his first record in 1954 and is still recording, releasing and performing to this very day, at 79 years of age. In addition to a lifelong career as a singer, he is an accomplished musician, songwriter, arranger, producer and label owner. He has produced and written memorable and significant works on artists such as Doris Duke, Sandra Phillips, Z.Z. Hill, Arthur Conley, Charles Whitehead / Raw Spitt, Irma Thomas, Freddie North, Ruth Brown, Solomon Burke, Gary U.S. Bonds, Joe Tex, Tommy Hunt, Ruby Andrews, Barbara and The Browns, Gene Pitney!!, The Drifters, Dee Dee Warwick, Wilson Pickett, Betty Wright, Patti LaBelle and The Blue Belles, and The Staples Singers.

Completely unique, his own man and genuinely innovative, Jerry Williams, A.K.A. Swamp Dogg. Also nominated for the worst cover of all time.

Jerry Williams Jr. [Swamp Dogg after 1970, is an American soul and R&b singer, musician, songwriter and record producer. Williams has been described as "one of the great cult figures of 20th century American music."

Optimal Saint
05-14-2022, 09:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJOZpgkuUeo

Optimal Saint
06-21-2022, 06:10 PM
Not an unsung Hollywood but Vice’s Dark Side of the 90s just aired an episode on the Arsenio Hall Show

woodward
06-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Back in September of 2018, I suggested one for Marv Johnson and one for Mabel John. If doing an hour on each one of these --- why not run the two together as Motown's 2-MJs? Devote one half of the hour to Mabel and the other half to Marv.

But I strongly urge and encourage them to do an hours presentation on the legendary Kim Weston. She was a huge Motown star in many respects, both here and in the UK.

BobbyC
06-22-2022, 09:00 AM
Labelle or Nona Hendryx

arr&bee
07-03-2022, 02:40 PM
Me!!!!...on second thought maybe that would be...unhinged...carry on!!

Optimal Saint
01-01-2023, 12:27 PM
CNN’s Dionne Warwick doc airs tonight

arr&bee
01-08-2023, 12:00 PM
DID THEY DO ONE ON THE GREAT[CLYDE McPHATTER]?

treblefree
01-28-2023, 06:40 PM
Brainstorm

Circa 1824
01-28-2023, 10:35 PM
Ronnie Dyson and Little Anthony. [[Little Anthony will be singing in Atlantic City this summer as part of the Happy Together tour.)