PDA

View Full Version : On This Day In Rock History.....

test

TheMotownManiac
09-15-2018, 10:50 PM
On this day in music history: September 14, 1981 - “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”, the twelfth studio album by Diana Ross is released. Produced by Diana Ross, it is recorded at The Power Station in New York City from May - July 1981. Riding high on the huge success of the album “diana”, it is cresting on the charts just as the R&B and pop superstar is about to become a free agent. The last album on her contract with Motown Records, label founder Berry Gordy, Jr. believes that Diana will renew her contract with the label that has been her home for over twenty years. However, when other major record labels come calling, Ross begins to field offers from the competition. She ultimately decides to sign a highly lucrative contract with RCA Records worth over $20 million dollars, at the time one of the largest record deals offered to a solo artist. Also guaranteeing her full creative control, that seals the deal, with Ross also signing a separate international contract with Capitol/EMI. Initially planning to reunite with Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers of Chic, the producers decline the offer to work with Diana again, busy working on various projects including an album for themselves, Blondie lead singer Debbie Harry and one for pop vocal legend Johnny Mathis. With RCA wanting to release her first album for them by the Fall of 1981, Ross decides to produce the project herself. Enlisting the assistance of musicians Rob Mounsey and Ray Chew [[keyboards), and reaching out to various music industry friends for songs, work gets underway in the Spring. Ross is supported in the studio by a group of top session players including Leon Pendarvis, Ed Walsh [[keyboards), Eric Gale, Bob Kulick, Jeff Mironov [[guitars), Neil Jason, Francisco Centeno [[bass), Ralph MacDonald [[percussion), Randy Brecker [[trumpet), Michael Brecker, George Young [[saxophones) and Yogi Horton [[drums). Delivering the album right on schedule, it’s led by a vibrant and infectious remake of Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers’ doo wop classic “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” [[#6 R&B, #7 Pop, #2 AC). The song is supported by a music video filmed on Fremont Street [[“The Old Vegas Strip”) in Las Vegas. It spins off two more singles including “Mirror, Mirror” [[#2 R&B, #8 Pop) [[co-written by Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky) and “Work That Body” [[#34 R&B, #44 Pop) [[written by Ross, Chew and Paul Jabara). A solid commercial success, “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” kicks off Diana Ross’ post-Motown era with a bang. Originally released on CD in 1983, it is remastered and reissued by Funky Town Grooves Records in 2014, with six additional bonus tracks. “Why Do Fools Fall In Love” peaks at number four on the Billboard R&B album chart, number fifteen on the Top 200, and is certified Platinum in the US by the RIAA.

TheMotownManiac
09-16-2018, 04:46 AM
How cool that a Rock History chose to commemorate this release......good or bad, hit or miss, Ross’ first non-Motown project was news and evidently, still is. Lucky for all involved it was a world wide smash.

jobeterob
09-16-2018, 07:45 AM
Why Do Fools the single is one of her biggest hits

reese
09-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Not one of my favorite albums by Diana, but I think it is a solid effort and a good debut. I can remember being so excited when I finally bought it, as I had not heard any of the tracks yet besides ENDLESS LOVE. I instantly loved MIRROR MIRROR and THINK I'M IN LOVE.

TheMotownManiac
09-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Nor mine, either. I was shocked at the MOR bent on this album after diana. Fave cut: Think I’m In Love. I’m not sure but I might have used Sweet Nothings as a third single. I’m glad that she didn’t wind up with the crap they did for Deborah Harry - yuck what a mess. Still, the album was a huge success and I’m sure BG had mixed emotions about its popularity. I almost never play it and when I do, I only play side two.

lucky2012
09-16-2018, 06:35 PM
^Ross going for the Pop/Rock mainstream. The cover should have been a sign [[warning?). I was surprised by this album, too. I remember being at parties or gatherings with friends who were of the pop/rock music persuasion and Why Do Fools [[the single) always got an enthusiastic response when played. I've come to like Mirror, Mirror since then, but feel lukewarm about the album.
Sweet Nothings might have worked as a successful third single. It pales next to Brenda Lee's original, but Ross's Why Do Fools doesn't compare to Frankie Lyman's either [[imho).

TheMotownManiac
09-16-2018, 09:50 PM
I was pleasantly surprised at the world wide smash status of Fools. I also prefer the originals and not all that crazy about those .....I prefer Ross’ sweet nothings to her fools . I think work that body could have hit with a good video and better enounciation on the chorus’ bg vocals. The few RCA songs I truly love were never singles. Many of the singles needed a bit of changing , I feel, to maximize their potential, like Swept Away ..

jobeterob
09-17-2018, 01:51 AM
Why Do Fools is not one of my favourite singles but I acknowledge it is very popular in concert and was one of her biggest hits

Ollie9
09-17-2018, 06:20 AM
As a late teen in 81, devoted to buying anything and everything associated with Diana's name i was stunned by this album. Unfortunately not in a very good way.
I did try really really hard to like it, but the majority of songs were just to lame and pop sounding for me to get into..
The only thing i like about it is the inside pic on the gatefold sleeve where Diana looks stunning.

sup_fan
09-17-2018, 04:13 PM
there's another thread talking about what Diana should have done had she stayed at motown. this thread brings up an interesting question of "who should she have worked with on her RCA debut?"

She wasn't happy with the chic guys after the angst with diana. they then went on to do KooKoo with Deborah Harry. wonder if that might have been an option?

what was Quincy Jones doing during late 81? it's too bad she never had a chance to work with him

who SHOULD have helped produce her debut? i think WDFFIL is a perfectly nice album. but not a DEBUT album. to launch her new career she should have done something truly exciting and ground breaking.

sansradio
09-17-2018, 04:21 PM
what was Quincy Jones doing during late 81? it's too bad she never had a chance to work with him

Surely you mean "again"; don't forget The Wiz and [[later) "We Are the World."

reese
09-17-2018, 06:19 PM
there's another thread talking about what Diana should have done had she stayed at motown. this thread brings up an interesting question of "who should she have worked with on her RCA debut?"

She wasn't happy with the chic guys after the angst with diana. they then went on to do KooKoo with Deborah Harry. wonder if that might have been an option?

who SHOULD have helped produce her debut? i think WDFFIL is a perfectly nice album. but not a DEBUT album. to launch her new career she should have done something truly exciting and ground breaking.

There's a quote somewhere where Diana said she tried to make a deal with Chic to do the debut but she couldn't give up complete control. She also said she had hoped to make a deal with Quincy but was unable to do so [[I think he might have been busy with Patti Austin's debut for Qwest). She had given her word to RCA that she would have product ready by a certain date so she did it herself.