PDA

View Full Version : The Aretha Franklin Tribute | Black Girls Rock 2018

test

smallworld
09-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Featuring Jazmine Sullivan, Ledisi, Cynthia Erivo, Stephanie Mills, and Yolanda Adams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL_mb8jtirM

smallworld
09-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Fantasia sings "Chain of Fools" and "Respect":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ho8BBSkFk

sansradio
09-10-2018, 05:33 PM
All were great, with one huge caveat...as much as I live and breathe 'Tasia, she was doing the most here. I mean, you got the job, girl. Chill. :D

reese
09-10-2018, 07:06 PM
I love Fantasia but yeah, she could have calmed it down a tad. But I really loved Ledisi and Stephanie Mills. And Yolanda Adams shut the house down with HOW I GOT OVER.

Roberta75
09-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Great tribute. wish Jennifer Hudson was part of it.

marv2
09-11-2018, 01:06 AM
Fantasia sings "Chain of Fools" and "Respect":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ho8BBSkFk

Fantasia just does not sound good to me. I know she loved Aretha etc, but just does not sound good to me.

Guy
09-11-2018, 09:35 AM
I love that BGR gave her a tribute. It is always a little disappointing to hear someone attempt an Aretha signature song. It just makes us miss the wondrous, one-of-a-kind artist that we lost even more.

luke
09-12-2018, 11:27 AM
I agree Marv. The key was too high or something. No fulness to her voice .

RanRan79
09-12-2018, 07:58 PM
I watched it yesterday. Yeah, Tasia was off with this tribute. She did the Queen proud when she did "Baby I Love You" and "Dr. Feelgood" over the years, but this tribute still had me saying "go 'head girl" yet it left me, as Sans put it in another thread, underwhelmed. She was going too hard and doing too much of a James Brown impression. It didn't really work.

Stephanie did exactly what I expected her to do. She's still killing it all these years later. Jazmine was good but I don't think that was the right song. Ledisi was great. That Cynthia girl, I had never heard of her, I don't think. I really don't like "I Say A Little Prayer" by anybody, even the Queen, yet this girl made me like the song. I love her voice and she's sexy too. Making it a point to check her out.

sansradio
09-12-2018, 08:02 PM
That Cynthia girl, I had never heard of her, I don't think. I really don't like "I Say A Little Prayer" by anybody, even the Queen, yet this girl made me like the song. I love her voice and she's sexy too. Making it a point to check her out.

She’s amazing. You may remember that she was a Tony winner for her performance as Celie in The Color Purple. She’ll also co-star in the upcoming Viola Davis vehicle Widows.

RanRan79
09-13-2018, 12:03 AM
She’s amazing. You may remember that she was a Tony winner for her performance as Celie in The Color Purple. She’ll also co-star in the upcoming Viola Davis vehicle Widows.

No I didn't know that Sans. I don't really follow the theater too closely. As far as I know, Tasia is still playing Celie.;) But I'm going to see if there are any clips of Cynthia on Youtube. Thanks for the information!

reese
09-13-2018, 09:26 AM
No I didn't know that Sans. I don't really follow the theater too closely. As far as I know, Tasia is still playing Celie.;) But I'm going to see if there are any clips of Cynthia on Youtube. Thanks for the information!

I actually saw both Fantasia and Cynthia in their respective turns as Celie. Both did a great job.