PDA

View Full Version : Hood Boy - Fantasia

test

TomatoTom123
09-09-2018, 10:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IU7mhG_0w0

Without looking it up, which Supremes song was sampled in this?!!!

I love the way it has been used in the track. :D

blackguy69
09-09-2018, 11:19 PM
The happening. They played the crap out of this song at my gym

marybrewster
09-10-2018, 12:23 AM
I hear "The Happening", but listen to the first few seconds again; I swear I hear "Lovelight" in there too.

sansradio
09-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Tom, get outta my head...the moment you posted this last night, we were listening to "Hood Boy" after having seen 'Tasia's Aretha tribute on "Black Girls Rock 2018." Craziness!

RanRan79
09-10-2018, 12:30 PM
This was the jam some years ago. I was surprised that "The Happening" was sampled.

RanRan79
09-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Tom, get outta my head...the moment you posted this last night, we were listening to "Hood Boy" after having seen 'Tasia's Aretha tribute on "Black Girls Rock 2018." Craziness!

I knew there was something I missed! Good thing BET is always repeating their shows a million times. I did not want to miss an Aretha tribute.

sansradio
09-10-2018, 05:43 PM
I knew there was something I missed! Good thing BET is always repeating their shows a million times. I did not want to miss an Aretha tribute.

smallworld has started a thread with the links. I'm dying to hear your take on 'Tasia's moment. We were underwhelmed this time.:D

TomatoTom123
09-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Well there you go sans! I love it when that happens. :)

TomatoTom123
09-10-2018, 08:31 PM
If I'm honest I'm not at all familiar with Fantasia or any of her music, but checked out a few tracks on iTunes and was majorly impressed and surprised by this one. My brain went into overtime trying to figure out what song was being used in such a funky and fantastic way!!!! :)

jobucats
09-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Many of you will recall that her "Collard Greens and Cornbread" song uses the prominent elements of "Your Precious Love." Yes, I know this is not a Diana Ross/Supremes song, however, it just thought the Motown reference was appropriate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asV1sGREA3s

RanRan79
09-12-2018, 07:47 PM
smallworld has started a thread with the links. I'm dying to hear your take on 'Tasia's moment. We were underwhelmed this time.:D

I'll head over to that thread when I'm finished here Sans.

RanRan79
09-12-2018, 07:50 PM
If I'm honest I'm not at all familiar with Fantasia or any of her music, but checked out a few tracks on iTunes and was majorly impressed and surprised by this one. My brain went into overtime trying to figure out what song was being used in such a funky and fantastic way!!!! :)

Tom, Fantasia is perhaps the only singer of my generation out in the last 15 or so years that I would pay money to see. I've been crazy about this girl [[in more ways than one) since American Idol. She had me hooked from the jump.

RanRan79
09-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Tom, Fantasia is perhaps the only singer of my generation out in the last 15 or so years that I would pay money to see. I've been crazy about this girl [[in more ways than one) since American Idol. She had me hooked from the jump.

Just thought about one other: Bruno Mars. I'd pay good money to see him too.

Jaap
09-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Just thought about one other: Bruno Mars. I'd pay good money to see him too.

Do go and see Janelle Monáe. Saw her last week and she blew me away. In her essay on Diana Ross, Nicole Fleetwood names her especially as a successor of Ross.

RanRan79
09-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Do go and see Janelle Monáe. Saw her last week and she blew me away. In her essay on Diana Ross, Nicole Fleetwood names her especially as a successor of Ross.

Thanks Jaap. I'm aware of Janelle but thus far I haven't been too impressed. There is something about seeing an artist live that captures something recorded music and television appearances don't. I'll keep that in mind.

Guy
09-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jaap. I'm aware of Janelle but thus far I haven't been too impressed. There is something about seeing an artist live that captures something recorded music and television appearances don't. I'll keep that in mind.

Agree. Janelle is pretty but gives me very little charisma or glamour onstage. Ross is a hard act to follow. I can't think of any new artist that so naturally exudes warmth, glamour and exuberance in the manner of Ross. Solange has a very striking stage presentation but again without the other virtues of Ross. I wonder if any of these girls will sell out the Hollywood Bowl at 74 years of age.