PDA

View Full Version : Has Diana Ross been spotted at Aretha's funeral today?

test

woodward
08-31-2018, 03:59 PM
I have seen no mention that she was there, that she was coming, or that she was unable to attend.

It seems like she is forgotten. Any spotters or comments?

The ones who have been reported to be in attendance were reported in a Free Press story - Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and Martha Reeves.

I did see on a television broadcast today at noon that interviewed Martha Reeves, Cal Street of the Velvelettes was interviewed also.

marv2
08-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Freda Payne and Valerie Simpson are there. Rosalind Ashford of the Vandellas is in the audience.

jobeterob
08-31-2018, 05:46 PM
Facebook says there were reports she was there - but it was a "big hair" picture of perhaps Whoopi Goldberg or Martha Reeves from the back.

Diana Ross sent flowers from "Diana Ross & Family" - there are a dozen reports of that and there are pictures of the flowers - as from Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett and 25 other stars.

marv2
08-31-2018, 05:59 PM
Neither Whoopi Goldberg or Martha Reeves are wearing "big hair". Martha has grey dredlocks at the funeral. Diana Ross is non-existent there.

marv2
08-31-2018, 06:01 PM
Facebook says there were reports she was there - but it was a "big hair" picture of perhaps Whoopi Goldberg or Martha Reeves from the back.

Diana Ross sent flowers from "Diana Ross & Family" - there are a dozen reports of that and there are pictures of the flowers - as from Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett and 25 other stars.

Flowers? Good because all she sent to the funeral home when David Ruffin died was a small, green houseplant that I almost knocked of the table behind me at Swanson's.

marv2
08-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Chaka Khan, Fantasia, Yolanda Adams, Shirley Ceasar, Jennifer Hudson, Bishop Paul Morton, The Williams Brothers with Vanessa Bell Armstrong, the Clark Sisters and a young lady that sang "Ave Maria" were standouts in my opinon. So much great music during the service. Waiting on Stevie now.

jobeterob
08-31-2018, 06:09 PM
https://www.freep.com/picture-gallery/news/2018/08/31/mariah-carey-diana-ross-send-flowers-arethas-funeral/1155614002/?utm_campaign=gallery&utm_medium=amp&utm_source=google

There’s pictures of The flowers from Diana and Family - together with many others - from the Detroit Free Press

marv2
08-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Gladys Knight is singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" right now!

marv2
08-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Gladys is now singing "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" amazing!

marv2
08-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Stevie is closing out the service with "As" magnificent!

PeaceNHarmony
08-31-2018, 07:13 PM
... was Wilson there? Did she send flowers?

marv2
08-31-2018, 07:32 PM
... was Wilson there? Did she send flowers?

Who are you asking? Are you in Detroit?

PeaceNHarmony
08-31-2018, 07:37 PM
Why would Diana be there? You started this thread to start trouble. And you know it.

PeaceNHarmony
08-31-2018, 07:41 PM
Ralph - this is, in your own words, 'a bullshit thread', started to cause trouble, and should be deleted. Thanks!

luke
08-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Was that Fergie of the Black eyes peas who sang?

marv2
08-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Why would Diana be there? You started this thread to start trouble. And you know it.

I didn't start this thread, but you were surely quick to jump in it. Woodward started this thread.

marv2
08-31-2018, 08:09 PM
Was that Fergie of the Black eyes peas who sang?

I watched the entire service and she was not there.

milven
08-31-2018, 08:57 PM
I watched the entire service and she was not there.

Was it announced that she would be there? I did not see the announcement anywhere. If it was not announced that she was attending, what made you think that she would be there? Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand, Janet Jackson, Patti LaBelle were not there either.

But how nice of you to watch the entire service [[and it was kind of long) just to see Diane.

She is blessed to have fans like you who are consumed with her every move.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zXQAAOSw3gJZLIQ6/s-l1600.jpg

marv2
08-31-2018, 08:59 PM
Was it announced that she would be there? I did not see the announcement anywhere. If it was not announced that she was attending, what made you think that she would be there? Tina Turner, Barbra Streisand, Janet Jackson, Patti LaBelle were not there either.

But how nice of you to watch the entire service [[and it was kind of long) just to see Diane.

She is blessed to have fans like you who are consumed with her every move.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zXQAAOSw3gJZLIQ6/s-l1600.jpg

Luke asked me about Fergie of the Black eyes peas. What are you talking about?

detmotownguy
08-31-2018, 09:08 PM
Luke asked me about Fergie of the Black eyes peas. What are you talking about?
Look like a few folks failed reading comprehension, jeeesh.

marv2
08-31-2018, 09:15 PM
Look like a few folks failed reading comprehension, jeeesh.

They must have DET! LOL!!!!

milven
08-31-2018, 09:25 PM
Indeed I have. Between Donald and Marv, we are losing our minds. But dont believe what you just read. What you are seeing and reading is not true.

Fake Post. I did not write it. Collusion. Witch Hunt.
:)

jobeterob
09-01-2018, 12:00 AM
The Diana’s and Barbra’s don’t do funerals

marv2
09-01-2018, 12:06 AM

Except their own...............

DWSheffer
09-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Woodward, I too was wondering if Ms. Ross was going to attend as well, so you weren't the only one. With all of the other Motown alums attending, I figured there could be a possibility she might show up. I also thought BG might be there as well, but did not see him. Thanks Marv for answering the original query.

It's too bad your simple question turned into such a negative thread with some absolutely needless comments. I'm certain this is what keeps the majority of younger Motowners like myself from posting much on this forum, and simply remaining "lurkers" in general. You just never know when a general question or statement is going to turn into a shit show........

woodward
09-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Woodward, I too was wondering if Ms. Ross was going to attend as well, so you weren't the only one. With all of the other Motown alums attending, I figured there could be a possibility she might show up. I also thought BG might be there as well, but did not see him. Thanks Marv for answering the original query.

It's too bad your simple question turned into such a negative thread with some absolutely needless comments. I'm certain this is what keeps the majority of younger Motowners like myself from posting much on this forum, and simply remaining "lurkers" in general. You just never know when a general question or statement is going to turn into a shit show........

Thank you for your response about my simple question. What I am at a total LOSS to understand is why the following appeared:
PeaceNHarmony
Banned

If this person was banned, why are they still stirring up trouble on the Forum? I would think when one is banned that you would be denied access to the MF. Why isn't this happening?

marv2
09-01-2018, 12:22 PM

DWsheffer, don't be a lurker. You have the right to post anywhere on the forum. Someone told me they saw Berry Gordy. I didn't but he could have been there. There were so many celebrities there that you would have to pause the video whenever they scanned the audience. There were Congress people, Senators, Governors, Mayors, Former President Clinton, Hillary, tons of singers so it may be a few days before we know more about who attended. The family allowed the entire process to be taped even the interment.

midnightman
09-01-2018, 12:54 PM
I have seen no mention that she was there, that she was coming, or that she was unable to attend.

It seems like she is forgotten. Any spotters or comments?

The ones who have been reported to be in attendance were reported in a Free Press story - Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and Martha Reeves.

I did see on a television broadcast today at noon that interviewed Martha Reeves, Cal Street of the Velvelettes was interviewed also.

AFAIK, no. She sent flowers though.

marv2
09-01-2018, 01:37 PM

The only flowers displayed at all public viewings were ones bought by the Franklin Family. So you have no proof of that.

Roberta75
09-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Diana Ross sent beuatiful flowers along with Rod Stewart and The Jacksons and all there flowers were on display in the vestibule of Greater Grace Temple in Detroit.

https://www.freep.com/picture-gallery/news/2018/08/31/mariah-carey-diana-ross-send-flowers-arethas-funeral/1155614002/

milven
09-01-2018, 04:04 PM

It appears that they both did go, but went privately ahead of the ceremony. Just a guess on my part, but sometimes wherever they go, they become the center of attention and they were trying to avoid that and yet pay their respects.

"Celebrities and dignitaries, including Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett and former President Bill Clinton, trickled into the church ahead of the 10 a.m. ceremony."

https://pagesix.com/2018/08/31/stars-arrive-at-aretha-franklins-funeral/

midnightman
09-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Thank you for your response about my simple question. What I am at a total LOSS to understand is why the following appeared:
PeaceNHarmony
Banned

If this person was banned, why are they still stirring up trouble on the Forum? I would think when one is banned that you would be denied access to the MF. Why isn't this happening?

Ralph didn't ban him, just suspended him for 30 days.

midnightman
09-01-2018, 05:16 PM
It appears that they both did go, but went privately ahead of the ceremony. Just a guess on my part, but sometimes wherever they go, they become the center of attention and they were trying to avoid that and yet pay their respects.

"Celebrities and dignitaries, including Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett and former President Bill Clinton, trickled into the church ahead of the 10 a.m. ceremony."

That's interesting. I forgot about the private funeral!

milven
09-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Ralph didn't ban him, just suspended him for 30 days.

same difference. He is banned for thirty days, but his previous posts were not deleted. All his previous posts will have his status as Banned instead of Senior Member until the thirty day suspension period is up. After that he can begin posting again if he wants to

marv2
09-01-2018, 06:38 PM
That's interesting. I forgot about the private funeral!

There was no separate funeral.

milven
09-01-2018, 06:42 PM
There was no separate funeral.

Right. I believe that the article said that they trickled into the church ahead of the 10 am ceremony, and then I imagine they left before it began

marv2
09-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Right. I believe that the article said that they trickled into the church ahead of the 10 am ceremony, and then I imagine they left before it began

Which is extremely strange because WDIV and Global News, along with Time Inc. began streaming live from Greater Grace at 9:00 am. Also, when you attend a funeral you generally so out of respect for the decease, but mainly to show support to the surviving family. They did not arrive until just after 11 am.

Roberta75
09-01-2018, 07:39 PM

according to Variety the flowers of Streisand and Miss Ross and Tony Bennet decorated the temple in Detroit.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-funeral-live-updates-1202923175/amp/

marv2
09-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Really none of this was about Diane Ross. It's not like she and Aretha were friends or relatives. The people that were there were enough. No one was looking for Miss Ross as far as I could tell. I think some were missing Barack and Michelle Obama, but he attended John McCain's funeral and sent a personal message to Aretha's. I wasn't expecting the Pope either, so I wasn't looking for him.

marv2
09-01-2018, 07:47 PM
I believe Claudette Robinson was there as well.

Roberta75
09-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Really none of this was about Diane Ross. It's not like she and Aretha were friends or relatives. The people that were there were enough. No one was looking for Miss Ross as far as I could tell. I think some were missing Barack and Michelle Obama, but he attended John McCain's funeral and sent a personal message to Aretha's. I wasn't expecting the Pope either, so I wasn't looking for him.

"Really none of this was about Diane Ross"

But at least 6 of your postings were about DIANE Ross. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

milven
09-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Which is extremely strange because WDIV and Global News, along with Time Inc. began streaming live from Greater Grace at 9:00 am. Also, when you attend a funeral you generally so out of respect for the decease, but mainly to show support to the surviving family. They did not arrive until just after 11 am.

You may be right Marv. The link that I posted said that Diana, Tony and Barbra were there before the ceremony

The link that Roberta posted only mentioned flower arrangements sent by Tony, Diana, and Barbra. Flowers do arrive before the ceremony. So perhaps that writer from page 6 of NY Post got the facts wrong or mixed or partial, or as Trump would say, "FAKE NEWS"

i also agree that the main reason people attend a funeral is to show support to the surviving family. If they were not even there, it makes no sense that Tony, Barbra and Diana would be there early, or at all.

As stated by Jobetrob, Diana and Barbra don't do funerals, so I tend to believe that the person who wrote the Page 6 article got the facts wrong. But please don't tell Donald. It will just re-affirm his belief that everything we read and see is fake and not to believe it :[[

Inside, floral arrangements from Diana Ross, Tony Bennett and Barbra Streisand greeted mourners in the sanctuary’s entrance

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-funeral-live-updates-1202923175/amp/

captainjames
09-02-2018, 02:34 PM
I think Ross quit going to funerals after Richard Pryor's homegoing and yes the Ross family did send an arrangement to the Franklin family. I am not sure Rita, Fred or Mary attended but there were so many folks there.

midnightman
09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah Diana hates funerals. She didn't go to MJ's. She reportedly stayed in her bed for weeks.

midnightman
09-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I think Ross quit going to funerals after Richard Pryor's homegoing and yes the Ross family did send an arrangement to the Franklin family. I am not sure Rita, Fred or Mary attended but there were so many folks there.

Rita probably went. Mary wasn't there but Martha Reeves was.

marv2
09-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah Diana hates funerals. She didn't go to MJ's. She reportedly stayed in her bed for weeks.

She did not attend the large memorial at the Staples Center, but she was caught on camera leaving a taco restaurant in LA either the day before or after Michael's funeral at Forest Lawn Memorial Park.

marv2
09-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Both Rita [[Ross?) I'm guessing and Martha Reeves live in the Detroit Metro area. I am sure Mary Wilson would have attended if she could. She attended many funerals for Motown alumni. She even sang at Pete Moore of the Miracles funeral.

Roberta75
09-02-2018, 06:33 PM
She did not attend the large memorial at the Staples Center, but she was caught on camera leaving a taco restaurant in LA either the day before or after Michael's funeral at Forest Lawn Memorial Park.

wow the trivia you know about a woman you are clearly obsessed with on a daly level is real laughable. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Roberta75
09-02-2018, 06:34 PM

Maybe mary sent flowers.

midnightman
09-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Maybe mary sent flowers.

I think she did too. Not everyone who grew up with Ree showed up to the funeral. Mary doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't do funerals. Both of them are probably still shook up from Flo's. I know neither went to Marvin's or any of the Temptations'.

TheMotownManiac
09-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Aretha and Diana were, in fact, friends. Maybe not close, but I have pics of Aretha at 3 different Ross concerts in Detroit plus she attended one 70’s show in LA as she was mentioned as one of the celebs In The audience.

midnightman
09-04-2018, 07:16 PM
I've never seen Aretha ever say anything criticizing Diana. She had tons to say about Gladys, Dionne, Tina, hell even Martha at one point, nothing about Diana. Speaks volumes.

captainjames
09-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Midnight I get what you are saying and anyone who knew Aretha and Diana understand completely. If I remember correctly I think Carolyn and Diana went to the same grade school and High school. I posted a pic of Diana and Aretha yesterday but it seems to have been deleted for some reason.

sansradio
09-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Diana has hosted Aretha at her Connecticut estate. No bad blood between them.

captainjames
09-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Thanks Sansradio

sansradio
09-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks Sansradio

No worries.

vgalindo
09-04-2018, 09:35 PM
I've never seen Aretha ever say anything criticizing Diana. She had tons to say about Gladys, Dionne, Tina, hell even Martha at one point, nothing about Diana. Speaks volumes.
So true and you can add Natalie Cole to that list. But Aretha always spoke highly of Diana Ross and her talent.

reese
09-04-2018, 09:43 PM
In an interview with Babyface, Aretha also mentioned how she liked reading SECRETS OF A SPARROW and seeing Diana as a mother.

midnightman
09-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Midnight I get what you are saying and anyone who knew Aretha and Diana understand completely. If I remember correctly I think Carolyn and Diana went to the same grade school and High school. I posted a pic of Diana and Aretha yesterday but it seems to have been deleted for some reason.

Yeah I did read they both attended Cass Technical together. It's funny how all these Detroit legends knew each other like that. A big city but it feels small, especially with all the music legends that came from there.

RanRan79
09-05-2018, 09:13 AM
I can't think of any of her legendary diva peers saying anything negative about Diana's voice. I believe it was Gladys who wrote that Diana may not have been the best singer in the Supremes, but if I recall correctly it was followed by a compliment regarding the work Diana put into it. An opinion that Diana wasn't the "best" singer in the group [[whatever that means) is in no way saying something bad about her voice. Now had she wrote "the bitch couldn't even sing, not like the other girls in the group", that would've been something else.;) But even in writing about personality conflicts and diva shenanigans, neither Martha nor Patti took potshots at Diana's vocals, when they could've easily done so. I think that says a lot about how much respect Diana's voice is given, even if she's not always personally liked. And for the Queen of Soul and Shade to not come for your voice when you're a rival, that says a lot!! LOL

marv2
09-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Yeah I did read they both attended Cass Technical together. It's funny how all these Detroit legends knew each other like that. A big city but it feels small, especially with all the music legends that came from there.

No she didn't. Aretha went to Northern High School the same school the members of the Four Tops attended.

RanRan79
09-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Captain there was an outage for the site yesterday that apparently deleted most if not all of the posts made on 9/3 and some on 9/4. So if you could repost the pic we'd appreciate it.

midnightman
09-05-2018, 11:31 AM
No she didn't. Aretha went to Northern High School the same school the members of the Four Tops attended.

CAROLYN. Not Aretha. We know Aretha went to a different school. We're talking about Carolyn.

lucky2012
09-07-2018, 04:58 PM
I can't think of any of her legendary diva peers saying anything negative about Diana's voice. I believe it was Gladys who wrote that Diana may not have been the best singer in the Supremes, but if I recall correctly it was followed by a compliment regarding the work Diana put into it...even in writing about personality conflicts and diva shenanigans, neither Martha nor Patti took potshots at Diana's vocals, when they could've easily done so. I think that says a lot about how much respect Diana's voice is given, even if she's not always personally liked.
You speak the truth, RanRan! I think her "diva peers" all have great respect for Diana Ross the Entertainer. I believe the honest and secure ones would acknowledge her distinct talents and voice as a singer.

An opinion that Diana wasn't the "best" singer in the group [[whatever that means) is in no way saying something bad about her voice. Now had she wrote "the bitch couldn't even sing, not like the other girls in the group", that would've been something else.;)
LOL. "Whatever that means" is that it is one person's opinion.
This person, a lifelong Motown fan, thinks Diana Ross has proven to be the "best" singer in the group.:)

And for the Queen of Soul and Shade to not come for your voice when you're a rival, that says a lot!! LOL
Just from this Forum, this thread, I've learned much about the relationship between Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross. [[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!") :)

marv2
09-07-2018, 06:30 PM
CAROLYN. Not Aretha. We know Aretha went to a different school. We're talking about Carolyn.

Look! Aretha went to Northern High School and dropped out at the 10th Grade. Whoever this "we know......" is? They are wrong! One of my cousins went to Northern H.S. too.

marv2
09-07-2018, 06:53 PM

No they didn't! Diana Ross went to Balch Elementary School. Mary Wilson and Carolyn Franklin went to Algiers Elementary School together.

RanRan79
09-08-2018, 07:57 PM
You speak the truth, RanRan! I think her "diva peers" all have great respect for Diana Ross the Entertainer. I believe the honest and secure ones would acknowledge her distinct talents and voice as a singer.

Agreed. The non hatin' ones would acknowledge that. Lol

LOL. "Whatever that means" is that it is one person's opinion. This person, a lifelong Motown fan, thinks Diana Ross has proven to be the "best" singer in the group.:)

Hey, that's the beauty of it all, everyone has an opinion. Even though Ross is tied with Aretha as my all time favorite female vocalist, Diana is tied with Florence and Jean as my favorite Supreme voices. Personally, of the original trio, I don't think any one woman was a "better" singer than the others. They each had strengths and weaknesses. The difference was one of them [[Diana) got the support to cultivate and grow in her artistry, while the other two [[Flo and Mary) weren't given that chance, and of the other two [[Flo and Mary), only one would eventually grow in her craft [[Mary). Ultimately Diana proved to be top diva and she has the career, accolades and status to show for it. Say what you will, but if the public didn't love Diana's voice, there never would've been twelve number one hits.

[[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!") :)

I know right!! LOL On Motown 40 the Queen shares that one of her favorite Motown memories is going to the Apollo and seeing the Supremes. She thought the lead singer had a certain something that was likable. When you're aware of the kind of shade that the Queen of Soul and Shade can throw, you know that's high praise indeed!;)

lucky2012
09-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Hey, that's the beauty of it all, everyone has an opinion. Even though Ross is tied with Aretha as my all time favorite female vocalist, Diana is tied with Florence and Jean as my favorite Supreme voices. Personally, of the original trio, I don't think any one woman was a "better" singer than the others. They each had strengths and weaknesses. The difference was one of them [[Diana) got the support to cultivate and grow in her artistry, while the other two [[Flo and Mary) weren't given that chance, and of the other two [[Flo and Mary), only one would eventually grow in her craft [[Mary). Ultimately Diana proved to be top diva and she has the career, accolades and status to show for it. Say what you will, but if the public didn't love Diana's voice, there never would've been twelve number one hits.
IMHO, I don't know why Diana was chosen to sing lead on most of the early recordings. She has one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable voices in Pop music history today, but in those early records, her voice is "unusual", at best, and "almost unlistenable" at worst. My favorite early "no-hit" Supremes lead vocal is by Mary Wilson on "The Tears". My other favorites are Diana on "Your Heart Belongs To Me", Florence on "Buttered Popcorn" and Mary on "Baby, Don't Go". The others I chalk off to youthful inexperience, need for training and growth, and an ongoing search for direction and a "sound". I do like a lot of what was I believe planned for Supremes Sing Ballads & Blues, the recordings that were included on disc 2 of the expanded Where Did our Love Go.

[[I'm just glad Queen Ree didn't say Diana just had "beautiful gowns!") :)
Lol. I was "shading" Aretha's "shade" on Taylor Swift, in case you didn't know.

jobeterob
09-09-2018, 01:18 PM
In the 70’s, Rolling Stone Magazine said that a whole album was done in this slightly nasty, Marvelettes style - referring to Meet the Supremes; it went on to say the album was probably now regarded as an unfortunate part of the past, much like once being a whore

But history showed the album would get an expanded edition - and had some hidden gems in it that foreshadowed where Diana’s voice would go and where it would take the Supremes

RanRan79
09-09-2018, 03:40 PM
IMHO, I don't know why Diana was chosen to sing lead on most of the early recordings. She has one of the most distinctive and instantly recognizable voices in Pop music history today, but in those early records, her voice is "unusual", at best, and "almost unlistenable" at worst. My favorite early "no-hit" Supremes lead vocal is by Mary Wilson on "The Tears". My other favorites are Diana on "Your Heart Belongs To Me", Florence on "Buttered Popcorn" and Mary on "Baby, Don't Go". The others I chalk off to youthful inexperience, need for training and growth, and an ongoing search for direction and a "sound". I do like a lot of what was I believe planned for Supremes Sing Ballads & Blues, the recordings that were included on disc 2 of the expanded Where Did our Love Go.

I think she was chosen because Gordy recognized how distinctive her voice was. I don't buy into the opinions presented as fact around here regarding commercial voices and all of that. 90 percent of a recording act becoming a success IMO can mostly be chalked up to luck, voices be damned. However, I do believe that certain tangibles, like a distinctive voice, can help you get an advantage. The Supremes had an advantage with Diana, but on the flip were a bit disadvantage because of the singles chosen. IMO of the pre "Lovelight" singles, only "Buttered Popcorn" and "Right Way" were really radio friendly. [[Previously I would've added "A Breath Taking Guy" to the list, but I've come to join the opinion that by the time of it's release "Breath" was kind of old hat. Now had it been released in the early part of 1963 it might have stood a chance.) Why tunes like "Those DJ Shows" and "The Tears" [[the latter I think could have used a better mix) were left in the vault, I don't know. But Diana's nasalness could grate on some folks nerves, but I really don't think there was any denying that the girl had a gift and I think Gordy tapped into that very quickly.

I like much of the Barbara era cuts, but I think the girls really shined once they became a trio and their harmony became tighter. A lot of the possible Ballads and Blues material is among my favorite Supremes stuff period.

Lol. I was "shading" Aretha's "shade" on Taylor Swift, in case you didn't know.

Yeah, I knew what you were referencing. Lol

lucky2012
09-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I think she was chosen because Gordy recognized how distinctive her voice was. I don't buy into the opinions presented as fact around here regarding commercial voices and all of that. 90 percent of a recording act becoming a success IMO can mostly be chalked up to luck, voices be damned. However, I do believe that certain tangibles, like a distinctive voice, can help you get an advantage. The Supremes had an advantage with Diana, but on the flip were a bit disadvantage because of the singles chosen. IMO of the pre "Lovelight" singles, only "Buttered Popcorn" and "Right Way" were really radio friendly. [[Previously I would've added "A Breath Taking Guy" to the list, but I've come to join the opinion that by the time of it's release "Breath" was kind of old hat. Now had it been released in the early part of 1963 it might have stood a chance.) Why tunes like "Those DJ Shows" and "The Tears" [[the latter I think could have used a better mix) were left in the vault, I don't know. But Diana's nasalness could grate on some folks nerves, but I really don't think there was any denying that the girl had a gift and I think Gordy tapped into that very quickly.

I like much of the Barbara era cuts, but I think the girls really shined once they became a trio and their harmony became tighter. A lot of the possible Ballads and Blues material is among my favorite Supremes stuff period.
I agree "Buttered Popcorn" was radio-friendly and maybe could have been their first charted single, except for the risqué [[for its time) lyrics.:p It's been noted that "Let Me Go The Right Way" was similar in sound and style to the Four Seasons' songs from the same time, which were huge hits. You're right about "Breath-Taking Guy" being behind the curve.
"Those DJ Shows" should not have been vaulted. It's a good song by Smokey, and more interesting and exciting, even if Diana's high-register vocals are a little off-putting [[to me).
I would love to hear a remixed "The Tears". What if this had been released and charted and the Supremes history and trajectory changed? It's my favorite early Supremes vocal but I think it was probably already dated for its time [[too Fifties).
Ballads & Blues might have been a better, more impressive debut album.